Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:01 pm 

Some of the stuff noted is hilarious. They (Geoff) wanted to re-record Mindcrime for 2013 and it's revealed that Operation: Mindcrime II barely featured the actual members of Queensryche. Most of the instrumentals were recorded by producer Jason Slayer and various session musicians.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:05 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
Some of the stuff noted is hilarious. They (Geoff) wanted to re-record Mindcrime for 2013 and it's revealed that Operation: Mindcrime II barely featured the actual members of Queensryche. Most of the instrumentals were recorded by producer Jason Slayer and various session musicians.

The funniest part is how the Tates somehow thought that Operation: Mindcrime II would somehow sell three times as many albums as the original. I don't really hate that album but it is rather funny to see how the other guys hated the idea of doing a sequel.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:52 pm 

To be fair, O:M2 is probably the best of the 4 non-DeGarmo albums.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
To be fair, O:M2 is probably the best of the 4 non-DeGarmo albums.

When its competition is Q2K, American Soldier, and Dedicated To Chaos, that's not saying much.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:32 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
WaywardSon wrote:

The funniest part is how the Tates somehow thought that Operation: Mindcrime II would somehow sell three times as many albums as the original. I don't really hate that album but it is rather funny to see how the other guys hated the idea of doing a sequel.

Especially since Tate is supposedly the one who doesn't like Metal. Then why reprise one of the great prog Metal works ever?

Because he thought it would generate cash, that's why.

Uncolored
Death Metal Fundamentalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:01 am 

WaywardSon wrote:
2 things:

1. Tate seems to spit a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-68ioMFgbc&t=3m55s

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand

I never check forum messages, don't bother write me here. thanx

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:39 am 

Uncolored wrote:
WaywardSon wrote:
2 things:

Notice how far they're standing from him. Yeah. :lol:

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am 

Uncolored wrote:
WaywardSon wrote:
2 things:

Wow what an asshole.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 am 

Yep, Tate is condemned now.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am 

Thousands of armchair doctors, including myself, have diagnosed Geoff Tate with Lead Singer Syndrone(LSS).

Which of these is the worst idea?
-Firing a band member without consulting the rest of the band.
-Replacing him with your daughter's boyfriend.
-Re-recording a classic album.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:23 pm 

The band's claims sound wayyyyyy more reasonable than Tate's, especially given that they cite all sorts of witnesses other than themselves. If they were just making up all that stuff about Tate spitting and yelling, there are tons of guys who they mention by name who would be able to call bullshit. All of Tate's most damning claims are essentially his word against one other guy's.

Anyway as much as I'd like to believe Tate has been responsible for the band not being any good for over 25 years, I'll wait to see what the guys come up with without him. It's heartening that they'd pick up Crimson Glory's singer, though. I doubt Tate even knows who Crimson Glory are.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:24 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Anyway as much as I'd like to believe Tate has been responsible for the band not being any good for over 25 years, I'll wait to see what the guys come up with without him.

This is the clincher - the youtube videos are decent proof that Tate's a cunt, but whether the rest of them have just let him single-handedly ruin the band since the 90s remains to be seen, and the test of that will be whatever they release without him. Some of the statements talk about piles and piles of whole songs the others had to shelve for his ideas. Are we really going to get another Empire with him gone? That's the angle the band seem to be playing, and if they're not careful it could bite them in the bum. This is the most anybody has talked about QR in a long time - everyone's watching, don't fuck it up!

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:19 pm 

Well, the court case will have to run its course before we get a chance to hear new QR material, now. Anyway, thanks for the link, WaywardSon. That was a pretty detailed and rather fascinating (and for a number of passages, baffling) read.

Errr... okay, I guess I'll be the one to point out the elephant in the room, then (hey, failsafeman! :D): why and how on Earth exactly isn't Chris DeGarmo formally involved in this case?! The very fact that this lawsuit has even been filed and not instantly dismissed is reasonable enough proof that ownership of the QueensRÿche name and assets has never been legally established. There is a legal battle over it. And it involves all four of the people who may have grounds for claiming a share of it. But not the one guy who indisputably only originated the bulk of their classic songs (and indeed, only the Osbourn Tates are currently disputing this)?! What? Did he sign one of those Faustian contracts, so popular in the US' Art Industry, that magically grant an author the privilege to deprive themselves of their author rights, when he left the band? Because short of that, I fail to see how this case is even relevant.

You know what I read between the lines, here? "The Osbournes claim that Ozzy is Sabbath; he wrote 99.0314% of all Sabbath songs and music ever, and he went on TV. Oh yeah? Well, Geezer and Ward will fight back, Ozzy! It is only us who have the right to use all those yummy Iommi riffs, because fuck you (and fuck Tony too, but only a little bit, because contrary to Ozzy, he somehow doesn't seem to give enough of a fuck to even take part in the argument, and that cow is ours to milk, goddammit)."

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:10 pm 

Tate states in the Rolling Stone interview that he owns 25% of Queensryche. Presumably, Rockenfield, Jackson, and Wilton own the other 75%. DeGarmo most likely gave up his claim to the name and the band's assets when he left, as is pretty common in the music industry (he probably still has his publishing and receives royalties on albums sold that he played on but that is separate and not what the lawsuit is about). Therefore, he has no reason to be formally involved in the lawsuit.

The basis of Geoff's suit is that since he was the creative force in the band and the others contributed little to nothing, Queensryche, as a creative entity, is Queensryche because of him and they can't simply vote him out via "majority rules" and use the name without him. The band's claim seems to be that, yes, Geoff was the creative force, but that was because he refused their input and that his direction has led to a decline in the quality of the Queensryche brand, best demonstrated through his disruptive behavior and declining record sales.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:18 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
why and how on Earth exactly isn't Chris DeGarmo formally involved in this case?!

Are you kidding? DeGarmo is probably doing his best to stay the fuck out of this mess, and I don't blame him one bit. I'm sure he still gets royalties for Operation: Mindcrime and whatever other albums still sell well, so he's set. He probably has a job and a family and sitting around in court for hours and hours listening to a bunch of prima donnas get catty with each other probably sounds like hell to him. And why would he even want to get control of the Queensryche name in the first place? He quit the band of his own volition.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:10 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:
why and how on Earth exactly isn't Chris DeGarmo formally involved in this case?!

Are you kidding? DeGarmo is probably doing his best to stay the fuck out of this mess, and I don't blame him one bit. I'm sure he still gets royalties for Operation: Mindcrime and whatever other albums still sell well, so he's set. He probably has a job and a family and sitting around in court for hours and hours listening to a bunch of prima donnas get catty with each other probably sounds like hell to him. And why would he even want to get control of the Queensryche name in the first place? He quit the band of his own volition.

Very true and besides, the lawsuit is not about who owns what, it's about who gets to continue using the name, which DeGarmo is presumably not interested in. The guy wrote "Silent Lucidity" by himself. Royalties from that alone probably have him and his family set for the next 50-60 years considering how much airplay it got.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:39 pm 

DeGarmo is a pilot now, I think. So yes, probably not wanting for money.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:24 pm 

Dandelo wrote:

This pilot???

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:31 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

This pilot???

Haha, I don't know what the fuck that was, but those vocals reminded me of Voivod a bit. 'My knee's in pain... so is my brain....'

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:51 am 

That was "rythm gaming" before Guitar Hero.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:52 am 

Who in Queensryche was a fan of VIRGIN STEELE?
I remember David DeFeis stating that the band received fan mail from Queensryche in their early days but I can't imagine Tate who seems unbelievably selfish to consider anyone's talent above his own.
He laughed at DREAM THEATER's brand of music and proclaimed it boring and nothing he'd ever consider being a part of. When the two bands covered "Comfortably Numb" you can almost see him smirk...James LaBrie must have been nervous because he mixed up the lyrics.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:31 am 

Thanks for the replies, guys. Fair enough, I guess. Call me an idealist, I just have trouble accepting the idea of a band's (classic era) primary songwriter not being the one naturally in charge of the band's name and assets anymore.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:18 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

This pilot???

I was more a fan of PaRappa the Rapper hahaha

I watched this interview of him and Chris DeGarmo and his lips looked all sorts of fucked up. Plastic surgery is not a good look.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:48 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The band's claims sound wayyyyyy more reasonable than Tate's, especially given that they cite all sorts of witnesses other than themselves. If they were just making up all that stuff about Tate spitting and yelling, there are tons of guys who they mention by name who would be able to call bullshit. All of Tate's most damning claims are essentially his word against one other guy's.

Anyway as much as I'd like to believe Tate has been responsible for the band not being any good for over 25 years, I'll wait to see what the guys come up with without him. It's heartening that they'd pick up Crimson Glory's singer, though. I doubt Tate even knows who Crimson Glory are.

Right.

But you know what the saddest thing about all this is, to me? The fact that they let it go on this long. I mean, it's as if it took Tate turning into a complete unhinged nutter for them to wake up and say "well, shit, we've been digging ourselves a hole and lying in it at least as far back as Q2K...maybe it's time to climb out?" I know how easy it can be to fall into the trap of just letting stuff coast by, but it's too bad the band didn't have the backbone to stop all this stuff before Tate basically took everything over completely and was, apparently, having random non-musician friends of his write their songs (!?!?!)...pretty sick, isn't it?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:34 pm 

That's why I find it hard to have any respect for anyone in the band anymore.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:38 am 

Ha, oh man. Googling "Geoff Tate Queensryche" right now gives the following suggestions:

Geoff Tate Queensryche gay
Geoff Tate Queensryche knife
Geoff Tate Queensryche split
Geoff Tate Queensryche biography

Funny how things work out sometimes.
Hehe, foreskins.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:21 am 

A most disturbing interview with Geoff Tate.
http://rocknewsdesk.com/world-news/tate ... deas/2564/
You could see clearly that he was expressing his own views independently of the band and yet it feels like he intended to speak as a unit whether they liked it or not.
Like Empyreal, I'm finding it hard to respect Rockenfield, Jackson and Wilton but I also really hope they can move forward and finally make the album they always longed to make!

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:25 pm 

Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:58 pm 

I feel violated just looking at that.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:12 pm 

Element_man wrote:

dat bulge
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:17 pm 

juicebitch wrote:
I feel violated just looking at that.

BBEdrummerAK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:34 pm 

http://www.rockenwraps.com

I think Scott is going to be alright, between royalties and his company, which has been around for awhile now.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:55 pm 

Exactly what am I looking at in that photo, other than the obvious? Is that from the infamous cabaret tour?

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:22 pm 

it's wot they do
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:48 pm 

Element_man wrote:
it's wot they do

LOL.
I just came across this ridiculous video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akTwO-HB398

Now, I'm all for T & A, but it looks like the friggin' Cirque de Soleil meets your local strip club... and that bloody song! :brick:
Wot a joke.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:54 pm 

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
LOL.
I just came across this ridiculous video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akTwO-HB398

Now, I'm all for T & A, but it looks like the friggin' Cirque de Soleil meets your local strip club... and that bloody song! :brick:
Wot a joke.

That video has to be one of the most pathetic things I've ever laid eyes on.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 pm 

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
Element_man wrote:
it's wot they do

LOL.

Wot a joke.

Three other things I've noticed:

1) Geoff Tate called himself the 'ringleader' of the band in the description.
2) Ratings have been disabled.
3) There are nothing but positive comments, which is no doubt the work of a very selective filter.

:roll:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 pm 

Some more (not sure if it was posted) about OM: 2. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=176775
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:36 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:

Three other things I've noticed:

1) Geoff Tate called himself the 'ringleader' of the band in the description.
2) Ratings have been disabled.
3) There are nothing but positive comments, which is no doubt the work of a very selective filter.

:roll:

Yup. Tried to post a comment, and it came back "comment pending approval."

LOL. I'm guessing the fact that I called it out as juvenile and stupid won't be officially approved.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:42 pm 

Element_man wrote:
Pic of Geoff Tate in a speedo

I just have such a hard time believing this loser performed on great classics like The Warning and Operation Mindcrime. :(

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next