Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:55 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Well there goes any hope for that project.

Hardly. Glen Drover is a very replaceable guitarist. I think this just goes to show that wherever Tate roams, turbulence and dysfunction is sure to follow.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:58 pm 

Glen Drover is a great metal riff writer (evidence being his work in Eidolon) but he unfortunately doesn't seem to write much in his "fill in" stints with bigger bands like King Diamond and Megadeth. So I was kind of holding on to the unrealistic hope he would get some writing in there, but as we can see it's more likely that Tate and Gray will do everything.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:58 am 

It feels like a punch in the soul to think people might deliberately go to a QR show and stare blankly at Queen of the Reich. I mean, come on. It's their freaking title track! I hope Geoff's flat wrong about that.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:51 pm 

ENKC wrote:
It feels like a punch in the soul to think people might deliberately go to a QR show and stare blankly at Queen of the Reich. I mean, come on. It's their freaking title track! I hope Geoff's flat wrong about that.

I really, really doubt it. Maybe he does get some blank stares, but I bet those are the people who have only heard I Don't Believe in Love and Silent Lucidity. Reaction to that was pretty much, "Yeah, he's full of shit." I know that Queen of the Reich was the second QR song I ever heard, and is among my favorites, and I'm not alone in that, it seems. Tate has his own idea of what QR is that less and less people seem to agree with.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:35 pm 

It's incredible how delusional he is, though. He even attempts to cultivate this image of modesty by writing off a song he claims to have written. Never mind that he didn't write it, and he probably doesn't perform it chiefly because he no longer can.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 am 

Tate doesn't understand why you guys are so mad at him.
http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=182735
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:40 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Glen Drover quit Geoff Tate's Queensryche.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=182687

Amount of surprise from me = 0/10

Was always just gonna be a question of 'when'. Everyone knows GT's Queensryche holds no credibility.

Edit: Glen Drover's profile is still on the GT Queensryche website, and is still an exact copy of Glen Drover's page on Wikipedia.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Last edited by juicebitch on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:04 am 

That's just how GT rolls.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 am 

It's always the same bullshit with him. It'd be getting old if it wasn't already.

Any news from the actual band?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:19 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Any news from the actual band?

No, just this from today.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=182763

*Spring 2013 is the big one in terms of a potential release date*
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:26 pm 

Thanks, that's not much, but it's nice to read a down-to-earth interview with reasonable people, for a change.

I'm a bit surprised by their songwriting process as described by their new guitarist: Rockenfield coming up with loose song structures, then LaTorre adding melodies (and likely lyrics) to it, and only then the riffs being composed specifically to fit into it? It's a bit weird, and doesn't sound too riff-focused an approach. Then again, it's a first with this particular line-up, and it also seems like they're in a very collective, cooperative and enthusiastic set of mind, so it might be more varied and spontaneous than that. Maybe he just gave an example of how it happened for some songs, and hopefully others Michael Wilton came up with, etc.

Coming back to the teaser, I find it more merits than I originally thought, although it's still very hard to tell with just a few seconds of a demo version of just a few songs. The melodies are great, and the guitar sound is okay. It's easily more cohesive and far closer to the old QueensRÿche than their previous shit, let alone Tate's solo/QueensRÿche-Of-Fire bullshit. So that's rather encouraging, for them at least. :D

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 pm 

I think this ship is (finally) sailing in the right direction. I'm actually fairly excited to hear what they come up with, which I can hardly believe considering their last 20 years.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:35 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
I think this ship is (finally) sailing in the right direction. I'm actually fairly excited to hear what they come up with, which I can hardly believe considering their last 20 years.

My thoughts exactly. Who knows? Maybe they'll surprise us and give is a rock solid heavy/power/prog metal album. Damn, if such a thing happened, I'd consider myself more than satisfied.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:10 pm 

I will be surprised if they come out with anything good. I'm not gonna stop holding my breath on this shit until we hear a real song.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:21 pm 

'Ryche has to complete a pretty 'easy' task: to release a solid album with enough metal and prog influences to satisfy everyone, spit at Tate's babyface and get all the old fanbase back.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:14 pm 

So, Todd's not taking Geoff's comments lying down. He seems very 'invested' in his new band.

Quote:
Yes, Queensryche fans are very intelligent people, and this is why the majority go to http://www.queensrycheofficial.com for all of the latest news having to do with those that WROTE THE MUSIC for the last 30 years. That is the reality. Thank good
ness I'm not a hired gun with only a voice. When I write a song, I can actually play all of the instruments. Queensryche has a new dynamic that it never had before. The cherry on top: We have the strongest artist management company in the business, the world class producer/engineer James Barton on our new record, a wonderful new booking agency, QR's crew and touring manager, have since shared the stage with the loved Pamela Moore, and re-establishing global contacts that are eager to book us. If that isn't a testament to what the majority of people and peers deem as the most valued version of today's QR then I don't know what is. Another reality is that we are moving forward with a new album while playing material off of the first 5 albums, which includes the EP. Queen of the Reich: Yes, people do stare speechless, because they are shocked to hear the song performed well, a song that "broke out" this legendary pioneering band. Shame on anyone to deny the music that garnished fans in the first place and still resonates 30 years later. I couldn't be more proud to front my favorite band, sing with passion, and take time at every show to acknowledge every person I can. Queensryche is rising once again, respecting the fans first and foremost, which is why we(the band) all interact with the fans...a far cry from so many other artist's social sites. We all thank you all for embracing the change and positive new energy of the band, music, and growth. Thank you so much!

From facebook. And no, I'm not reformatting it for readability. Sorry.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:59 pm 

I'm pretty sure that Geoff just got a rage-ulcer after reading that.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:38 pm 

Man, that clip they posted was horrible. The music was mediocre and it had the production quality of film-editing 101 at the local community college. I'm starting to think that La-Torre QR will suck almost as much as Geoff's solo album did :(

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:19 am 

Fans don't care about Queen of the Reich? Tate is talking crazy.

I do find it interesting how much of an active role La Torre is taking in Queensryche. In several instances where I saw or heard the whole band interviewed, he was taking an active role as, kind of, "the" spokesperson. That's not something I expect in a veteran band welcoming a new guy who isn't exactly all that established compared to them.

It looks more and more to me like the three remaining long time members of the band have rather quiet, unassuming personalities. Which explains to me why they were constantly being pushed around by Tate.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:55 am 

A more telling teaser clip was posted on their facebook tonight. http://www.facebook.com/QueensrycheOfficial/posts/156512144504339

What do you think?

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 am 

Seems about as exciting as an 11 hour drone track.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 am 

I'm glad to hear something that sounds like actual music compared to the first "teaser". Not mindblowing, but not St Anger either. Still can't wait to hear a full song and of course the whole album.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:58 am 

Great vocals, fairly standard riffing although far from band. Looks like it will be middle of the road with a few solid tracks, De La Torre is a keeping the band in good form

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:02 am 

I liked that. Was pretty average for a good portion of it (kinda vaguely like something 90's Flotsam & Jetsam would have done) but that chorus had some serious pop-metal hooks.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:20 am 

Was alright. Not bad, not great, but alright. I'm expecting much more!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:47 am 

That was OK, but it sounded nothing like 80s Queensryche; not sure why that seems to be their big selling point here. It sounds like a decent modern heavy power metal track, like something Vulvagun would write - none of the pomp and bounce of The Warning or O:M are in evidence so far.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am 

Geoff Tate to release "stupidly heavy" Queensryche album :lol:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm 

That sample was pretty decent. It's not incredible, but it has a nice pace, good (if somewhat generic) melodies, and Todd sounds great. If this is anything to go by, then it will be at least a solid album.
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

If there's any truth to that, then I expect it to sound like Korn with Tate's vocals on top. At least, that seems to be his idea of "stupidly heavy" nowadays.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:48 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Stupidly heavy or heavily stupid? I'm leaning toward the latter.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:52 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

So Bostaph and Locicero wrote most of the music on the new Tate-fronted QR album? Tate is all over the place. I wonder if one of the stipulations for Locicero making the collaboration public was that he had to mention how nice Slater and Tate are.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:36 pm 

2Eagle333 wrote:

You're in luck then!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrmBnN7aQ9s

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Geoff Tate is a most intersting fellow. Granted, he got Bostaph to drum for him, but that's not going to be enough of course.

On the new sample, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Hell, the new album might even be decent.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:08 pm 

The sample sounds like something a slightly heavier Dream Theater might release. I was hoping for more of a full-speed-ahead throat-grabber like Queen Of The Reich, but I guess that was too high of hopes. Oh well, it still sounds decent, and it'll do well to start cleansing the palate of the tastes left by Tate and company over the last 20 years.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 pm 

Sounds pretty good but I am so sick of this preview/sample shit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:33 pm 

2Eagle333 wrote:

Pretty much. There goes the last of my lingering optimism over Tateless Queensryche.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:39 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
2Eagle333 wrote:

You're in luck then!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrmBnN7aQ9s

Congratulations, you've found the joke.

And yes, enough of the "samples". Just give us a complete song, damn it!

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:34 am 

Damn, I'm a little disappointed. It's not that this sounds particularly bad but... it sounds like pretty generic power metal.

I'm also torn on the Tate news. Craig Locicero is one of the unsung heroes of thrash. Bostaph is of course a kickass drummer. Together they're responsible for creating some of the most underrated thrash tunes as far as I'm concerned. They always had a taste for the more technical side of thrash so I could see them write some good stuff.

But it's still Tate's project. He is still insane. And even if he wasn't, unless a miracle happens, he has lost the edge in his voice.

As far as I'm concerned, it would be a good thing if BOTH projects kicked ass. I'm all for competition benefiting the consumer. But at this point, I'm more inclined to believe both projects will be "meh".

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:36 pm 

Wow, fuck. This story certainly has taken a new twist with the addition of those two musicians. Very very interested to hear the result.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 pm 

The new Ryche sample was real good, at least to me. That chorus reminded me a lot of Mindcrime even if the rest was more like a modern Empire, but I like Empire so it's whatever. I find it real telling that Tate had to pawn off his album to two talented thrash guys to make metal. It's becoming more and more obvious each day that Tate doesn't understand metal and has to get guys that aren't even a part of his band to do stuff on his album, just so it has a chance in the market. At least he's beginning to grasp that he and Gray aren't capable songwriters.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:28 pm 

Anyone else think the production on that clip was awful? The drums sounded so dry and there was no breathing room at all.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 pm 

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=187040
Figured I'd revive the thread with a humorous article coming from Blabbermouth that states Glen Drover is going to play a show with the "real" Queensryche.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next