Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dunkelheit616
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:18 pm 

Now Graveland is one of my top favourite black/pagan metal bands, in the 90s this was such an evil sounding band with classics like In the Glare of Burning Churches and Carpathian Wolves, this project had a great reputation and it still does, looking at favourable responses to the music. But the seriousness can be dragged down when you look at some of the cringe worthy band photos. They’re not all bad though…

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this picture that was posted on last fm. It's just ridiculous if it really is him. In his other pictures he is dressed up in his armour, with an evil frown or serious look on his face, brandishing obsolete weapons, the imagery of a proud and fierce pagan warrior. Then there's a stupid one like this with 3 girls sitting in a hot tub, while Rob is looming over them in his usual battle gear and a random house in the background. Is that a bike I see in the distance? Very black metal! Not exactly the medieval setting you’d expect, although the tub looks legit, I'll give him that. I mean, this guy is middle aged. He must be about 40, he’s dressed up like some fucking Viking soldier in someone’s back yard and decides to get some random naked girls round to sit in his tub. I get the feeling he is very serious about this image somehow. I have to say this makes absolutely no sense.
But I still wonder what the general message of this image is? Could it be that be is protecting them, or are they his many wives or something? Maybe he’s some kind of black metal ‘player’, or just a ‘medieval pedophile’ as I read in the last fm shoutbox. (Hehe I’m just chuckling as I write this, the thought of him riding an old pedal bike in his armour).

I know Graveland pictures do generally look rather silly, specifically the one where he is fighting what looks like a polar Chewbacca with horns , and when he is weeing in a bush in his pirate outfit. See below. But this takes it to an all new level of weirdness.

Sometimes when I listen to a Graveland record, whether it’s the good old Thousand Swords, or something more recent, say Dawn of Iron Blades, I think of these pictures and I can’t help but wonder how sane this guy is.

But what do I know; it might not even be him at all. Either way the thought is quite amusing!

So, as a summary I just want to know your opinions on the image. Is it legit or another person? I don’t think it is real, because of the beard. I haven’t seen any images of him with a beard like that. His face is obscured by the helmet though, so it is difficult to recognise any similarities.

While I write this, I’ll take the opportunity to ask what your opinions are on the imagery of Graveland (the weapons, swords, battles etc).

I just want to say I don’t mean to cause offense; he probably is quite a nice person in reality.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:48 pm 

That picture actually raises my opinion of Rob Darken, knowing that he doesn't always take himself too seriously.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 pm 

I saw that picture years ago and referenced it in the title for my only Graveland review.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:50 pm 

The dude in the gilley suit is supposed to be The White beast of Wotan I guess.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:54 pm 

I've always thought the "polar wookie" was a Krampus, which doesn't make any sense now that I think about it because they are from Alpine folklore.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:54 pm 

saw those on last.fm i think, pretty damn hilarious/odd i thought.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:03 pm 

I dunno, seems like a guy who likes to dress up and pretend he's a medieval warrior or something. And soak in hot tubs and spout racist nonsense. Apart from that last thing (which doesnt come across in the pictures, so I guess it's besides the point...) I might see him as the type of somewhat nerdy "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" type guy who I would still likes to party and drink pitchers with occasionally.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:28 pm 

Is he fighting a Wampa? Odd, odd man Darken is.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 pm 

The pictures are great, and the music is amazing. Nuff said.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:46 pm 

Darken gets all da bitches.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 pm 

The Polar Wookie pic is fucking hillarious!!! I do love me some Graveland, Immortal Pride is a killer ALBUM!!!

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:56 pm 

Stop saying "Polar Wookie", it's a goddamn wampa.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:06 pm 

geez, don't loose your lunch over it Star Wars fangirl!

Quack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:21 pm 

Back in the day, I believe somewhere around mid 90's he was my pen pal, he was sending me all this stuff (tapes which I lost somewhere, now they probably circulating on ebay etc.)and few crazy letters. One day after one of his letters I didn't write back... I just gave up. My believes are bit radical, but his were just absurd. I never thought that he would be known in the metal world. Few of my friends who are involved in slavic-viking, medieval battle reconstructions say that he's active and attends some festivals.They consider him bit weird,but not dangerous ;-)

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:24 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
The pictures are great, and the music is amazing. Nuff said.

This.

Also, you said "naked girls" but I only see their heads.

My opinions on the image? swords, naked girls, where do I have seen it before...? anyways, it's awesome, it's metal, I approve.

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 am 

Where is the polar wookie picture from?
The Winter Blades session perhaps?

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:37 am 

Well, pretty much 90% metal bands look/dress as homosexuals... I'd rather like the band to have the cheesiest viking/warrior suits than the typical metal subculture image.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:44 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Well, pretty much 90% metal bands look/dress as homosexuals... I'd rather like the band to have the cheesiest viking/warrior suits than the typical metal subculture image.

How do homosexuals dress? The reason I'm asking is because I have a hard time seeing the connection between type of clothes and sexual preference.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:53 am 

I warned the dude, no need to debate with someone with such beliefs.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:49 am 

''Black metal playa'' and ''Medieval paedophile'' cracked me up.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 am 

I cant find one picture anymore, somebody attached Skyrim's logo on that one where Rob is fighting the snow monster, it was hilarious. Bottom picture looks like something they would use in split record with Woods of Infinity haha. But either way, i really like these cheesy promo pics of Graveland.

dunkelheit616
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:40 am 

satanic_neumann wrote:
I cant find one picture anymore, somebody attached Skyrim's logo on that one where Rob is fighting the snow monster, it was hilarious. Bottom picture looks like something they would use in split record with Woods of Infinity haha. But either way, i really like these cheesy promo pics of Graveland.

hehe, I bet that picture was hilarious! I wish I could of seen it. I can imagine Darken being a random NPC giving out quests in a forest ''Go and burn that church!! with a croaky voice.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:49 am 

As far as I know those are Darken's own daughters in the hot tub. The situation comedy and oddness is undeniable.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 am 

Pictures like that disprove white supremacy.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:48 am 

:lol: what an odd man. Good for him.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 am 

Darken appears to be photoshopped into the tub picture. I say this due to the lack of depth in the image. Could be wrong I suppose, it just looks a bit unnatural.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm 

Quack wrote:
Back in the day, I believe somewhere around mid 90's he was my pen pal, he was sending me all this stuff (tapes which I lost somewhere, now they probably circulating on ebay etc.)and few crazy letters. One day after one of his letters I didn't write back... I just gave up. My believes are bit radical, but his were just absurd. I never thought that he would be known in the metal world. Few of my friends who are involved in slavic-viking, medieval battle reconstructions say that he's active and attends some festivals.They consider him bit weird,but not dangerous ;-)

I think when he discovered Wotansvolk it began to focus his beliefs a bit. Wotansvolk is a little too radical for me, but Creed of Iron is an interesting read.

BlackVision
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:45 am 

I wonder if he jumps in!

Reply to topic