Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bloody Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:07 pm 

I'm actually kind of glad to see that I'm not the only person who never got into Pantera. I always just felt like they were long on anger/testosterone and short on substance.

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:48 pm 

I've always liked Pantera partly for that angry, aggressive attitude they had going on. It just suits them imo, although I'm not saying it works with all bands of course. The other reason is simply just because I love most of Dime's riffs - to me most of their albums are memorable for that reason.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:09 pm 

Pantera was great back when I was 14-15. I was a big fan of far beyond driven and vulgar display of power, in that order. While I don't listen to them now, I do appreciate the fact that they were the band that got me into heavier stuff.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:36 pm 

adders11 wrote:
I've always liked Pantera partly for that angry, aggressive attitude they had going on. It just suits them imo, although I'm not saying it works with all bands of course. The other reason is simply just because I love most of Dime's riffs - to me most of their albums are memorable for that reason.

Most people on this site would probably agree with you and prefer their glam era.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:56 am 

I never really understood the insane hype behind Pantera, even when it was going on in the 90s. I can't deny that Vulgar Display of Power was a fantastic album, and I do enjoy Cowboys From Hell, Far Beyond Driven, and Power Metal from time to time as well...but they were just one of those bands I had a mild interest in and nothing more. The macho beer-drinking southern badass image they tried so hard to have always felt kind of forced to me when you saw how they dressed in the 80s.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 am 

I'm so tough, generic Dimebag riffs, similar drums beats in all songs, blah blah blah.

I don't really see why they get so much shit. They make good music (of course that's subjective) and were successful as a band, they have some really aggressive, powerful songs and they have good mid-paced and slower tracks too. They're one of my favorite bands. I never saw anybody give them shit until I started posting here.
:lol:

Glentxa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:40 pm 

Don't like 'em apart from a couple of tracks off 'Vulgar...', although I was also a bit of a fanboy when I was just starting out in metal...

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:01 pm 

Not really bothered with them that much, they're not bad. I honestly can say that Psycho Holiday is their greatest song.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:43 pm 

Got into them through my friedns when I first got into metal. Never really got in to their stuff much. Would just listen to a few songs of CFH and VDOP. I did like 5 minutes alone song back in the day.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 am 

I like Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power. I've heard good things about Power Metal, I should give that listen.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:49 am 

Check this unreleased song Dimebag did for a skateboard company, or some shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dm3wLMT ... r_embedded

The song sucks, but damn, look at that house. That's some tacky shit.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:14 am 

SweetSilence wrote:
I'm so tough, generic Dimebag riffs, similar drums beats in all songs, blah blah blah.

I don't really see why they get so much shit. They make good music (of course that's subjective) and were successful as a band, they have some really aggressive, powerful songs and they have good mid-paced and slower tracks too. They're one of my favorite bands. I never saw anybody give them shit until I started posting here.
:lol:

It's not just here. Any boards where they discuss more than just popular bands tend to have a collective dislike or even hatred for Pantera. I agree though, that it's not something I've experienced IRL. Anytime I met people that like heavy metal, It's almost a given that they like or at one time liked Pantera a lot. I'm biased toward Pantera so I'd like to imagine that at least some of the loathing for them could be chalked up to hopping on a hate train.

symbolic1188
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:31 pm 

Enjoy Cowboys, Vulgar and Far Beyond. Also, a few songs off Trendkill. Not a fan of their earlier albums, and I can kinda see why they aren't either.

zuke2323
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:13 pm 

I have tried on multiple occasions to enjoy them, and I have tried to have as open a mind as possible, and I just cannot do it. Even the stuff that is supposed to be their best (TGST or VDoP or CFH) I just can't get into. The start-stop of the riffs absolutely drives me insane and I believe Phil is just an average vocalist (at least in Pantera). I don't like the tough-guy attitude and lyrics but that really isn't the reason I dislike the music; it really is the start-stop crap. It irritates me to no end.

luisX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:08 am 

Cowboys from Hell is great,one of my favourite metal albums.After that they are good too,they have some great songs but the albums are kind of inconsistent with some weak tracks.

And yeah i agree that the overall amount of hate is stupid,but is something to deal or ignore.

~Guest 41299
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:28 pm 

Pantera was one of the first bands I got into when I started listening to metal. At the time I thought they were as heavy and extreme as a band could possibly be (nothing like being a naive kid).

Their attitude never mattered that much to me. What I really always cared about was that I have fun listening to them. To me, every album, from Cowboys to Trendkill, are really really good. I was a little disappointed with Reinveting the Steel, even though there was a couple of good songs on it.

Their 80's stuff however are more of a guilty pleasure for me.

havoc00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 pm 

I only like Trendkill

tronics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:44 am 

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
I loved Pantera as a kid. I think I over played them a long with Metallica. Both bands I just dont care to listen to because I ruined them for myself. The radio doesnt help either, more so with Metallica though. I could probbably still sing every word to every song from either band. I could probbably 'sing' the guitar solos as well. I would never deny either bands credibility. I am actually kind of suprised how much heat both bands seem to recieve around here.

That pretty much sums up my stance on Pantera as well. Although I do still listen to them. FBD is my favourite of theirs. Trendkill of course is simply a really good album, as are Vulgar and Cowboys. I don't agree with the sentiment that the albums aren't consistent - to me they are. Reinventing the Steel was a disappointment though, there are only a couple of tracks that I like on that one, and I can't even think of what they are.

Anyway, fucking top band, was always one of my favourites.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:18 pm 

TH3_MAd_HAKKR wrote:
One of the most pathetic, posturing acts of all time.

This. I can't stand Pantera, and they breed the worst fans.

Shawnathan_Mory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:57 pm 

The first album I've heard from them was the RTS. Didn't really like it. Then I bought Vulgar and I was blown away. My favorite has to be CFH. All of their albums had great riffs and memorable material on them. Of course after awhile I overplayed those albums to death to the point where I stop listening to the band for a few years.

iAm wrote:
TH3_MAd_HAKKR wrote:

:durr: . Then what band breeds the best fans?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:00 pm 

iAm wrote:
TH3_MAd_HAKKR wrote:

Yes, because fans really matter when it comes to measure the quality of an artist's output :roll:

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:06 pm 

I like Power Metal, Cowboys From Hell, and The Great Southern Trendkill. I'll admit that in their shitty albums like Reinventing the Steel Dimebag has one fucking awesome guitar tone.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:14 pm 

They're a fun band. I love Cowboys from Hell.

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:51 pm 

I don't listen to Pantera that much anymore but when I was younger I really enjoyed everything up through Far Beyond Driven. They always put on a good live show when I saw them as well.

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:57 pm 

I find Pantera's music and overall attitude absolutely disgusting. Terrible band. Power Metal was pretty damn good, but that's it. I don't want to start an immature flame war, though, so that's all I'll say on the matter. Let people listen to what they want.

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:07 pm 

I totally understand what people mean when they accuse Pantera of inane wannabe-tough-guy lyrics, but that's part of why I like them. There's something about a man showing off whatever manliness he has and acting like he's on the top of the world - despite the fact that he knows the opposite's true - to be very amusing. To me, that shows confidence, even if it's an incredible amount of hubris. :)

~Guest 256486
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:18 pm 

I must admit, I am a huge Pantera fan. Although I tried to get into their post-Cowboys material, it just wasn't for me; I am more into the NWOBHM and American/German speed metal bands than I am into stuff like Lamb of God, Godsmack, Trivium, White Zombie, etc.

I think that despite the flaws with some of their '80s albums, Metal Magic and Projects in the Jungle definitely rock hard (if you take away the cheesy, Leppard-wannabe power ballads). Songs like "I'll Be Alright" and "Ride My Rocket" scream "IRON MAIDEN! Fuck yeah!" to my ears, along with "Killers", "Out for Blood", "Down Below", and "Valhalla". I hate how people ignorantly pass them off as a "glam metal" band, when they clearly were speed metal from Day One.

All-in-all, Power Metal is my absolute favorite Pantera record, with Cowboys from Hell coming in second. I like a few songs from Vulgar Display of Power ("Mouth for War" and "Rise"), but that's about it. Yeah, The Great Southern Trendkill is better than the two albums that came before it, but to be honest they were already starting to appeal too much to the nu-metal/goth/industrial/wigger rap audience than extreme metal by then. I respect Diamond Darrell's guitar playing, but he's not what most people crack out to be. And I'm willing to bet much of the "RIP DIMEBAG" crowd simply started listening to Pantera just because of his onstage assassination. Get real.

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:31 am 

For me Pantera, can be sometimes shitty sometimes I really like them, depending on my mood. "Cowboys From Hell" I consider an ok album, some good songs, some meh, except Cemetery Gates which I consider a masterpiece. "Vulgar Display of Power" was pretty boring, it had that "badass" attitude which bores the hell out of me, something I also find in Lamb of God and DevilDriver, but I consider Pantera much superior to those bands. I can see how big of an influence Pantera were for bands like Lamb of God. When it comes to metalcore bands like these are the only that I can stand, the ones that were very influenced by Pantera, but they are very boring after three songs. Nowadays very rarely I play Pantera, except Cemetery Gates, and Cowboys from Hell (song) which I consider very good.

JerryLeeEx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:35 pm 

Back in college there were a couple of Pantera fan-boys who were total preppy rich kids. They would sometimes give me shit for liking death metal and black metal because it was "for devil-worshippers". Then, one day I heard them talking about Darkthrone and Marduk. I knew right away that they had heard of them by way of Phil Anselmo being a fan of those groups. Anyway, they saw that I was listening and hushed up. I just said, "Right back at ya, bitches."

I do enjoy Pantera, though.

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:43 am 

Well, that's another reason why I like Pantera, through them, I've been able to discover a lot of great bands like Down, Crowbar, EyeHateGod, Corrosion of Conformity, etc. It's good to know that Anselmo is willing to share some of the more underground and unknown bands that have influenced them somewhat to the teenage fan-boys who wouldn't have discovered them otherwise.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 am 

Seems to be a lot more love for Pantera than I would of ever guessed existed here. I, for my part, have never enjoyed Pantera, just could never stand the stuff. But I won't deny that Dimebag was a good guitarist. Maybe not as phenomenal as everybody makes him out to be, but he was good. I really, really was never able to get passed Phil's vocals, though. I didn't mind the higher pitched stuff he did in the early days, but that shrieking, ear-splitting bullshit he did later on was just so terrible. Anyway, that's just my two-cents.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

~Guest 278575
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:06 pm 

I can't find myself to be critical of Pantera as they provided a portal to the innumerable sub-genres of metal. I loved them to bits when I was aged 15-17, but not anymore. Most of the fans tend to start off their metal repertoire with the traditional "Big Four" and Pantera. There is no denying their importance and influence, and I'll refrain from taking the piss out of them.

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:44 pm 

Pantera was one of the first metal bands I got into like 12 years ago or so. I'll always enjoy their music. I think their first four album are pretty consistent but my favorites are Far Beyond Driven and The Great Southern Trendkill. Far Beyond Driven is just the band at their peak, playing great, heavy groove metal and GSTK like Kveldulfr said, does just have that 'desert' atmosphere too it and the songs are all just so aggressive, I love it. Vulgar Display of Power and Cowboys from Hell are great too, but I feel they could've had better production. I guess it's good they're remastered/getting remastered huh? Reinventing the Steel is the only album from them I never got into.

And as for their live shows, I've heard nothing but good things about them from my older metalhead friends and from what I've seen from online clips, they looked like they put on one hell of a show!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2