Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:45 pm 

So Satyricon are coming to Berlin next week. I found about this late but should still be able to snag tickets. Never having been to a Satyricon show before, the question for me is: do they tend to be good live? Do they focus more on new or on old material? And do they still do the whole black metal aesthetic on stage? Thanks!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:59 pm 

Ask yourself if you like any of the crap they've been putting out since 1999, because it is extremely unlikely they'll be playing anything from before that year except Mother North. My advice: Save the money, buy beer and the new Inquisition instead.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:01 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Ask yourself if you like any of the crap they've been putting out since 1999, because it is extremely unlikely they'll be playing anything from before that year except Mother North. My advice: Save the money.

Yeah, that's what I'm worrying about.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm 

saw them live in like 2009. it was VERY disappointing even though I generally prefer the post-2000 stuff to their earlier material. the sound was all drowned in frost's drumming, and satyr had probably the most retarded stage antics I've ever seen live. he was going for the stadium rock anthem style even though the crowd didn't take up. so he was clapping his hands above his head all the time, going "hey - hey - hey - yeah come on [insert name of the city/venue here]". the gig sucked hard. :boo: :thumbsdown:

on the other hand, when I saw them performing live at wacken with nocturno culto like 10 years ago, they were very tight, very good. I doubt this time or feeling will come back though in 2013.

I agree with inhumanist, except buy the new peste noire or the ildjarn/hate forest split instead of inquisition.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:35 pm 

I saw them last year and they bored me to death. Even the staple "Mother North" sounded completely misplaced and without passion. I'm pretty sure they played a couple of songs from The Shadowthrone but I can't remember which ones. Nothing from Dark Medieval Times though, and to be honest I think they only played three old songs because it was Hellfest, i.e. a major festival.

Case in point, there's little appeal if you're into a great stage presence. It's pretty much a "rock on" attitude as said above.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:45 pm 

They don't wear corpse paint anymore and no spikes, bullet belts etc so the BM aesthetic is not there anymore.

As for old songs, Mother North is always played and I think they've been doing a few other old ones too, but I'm not sure which ones. It will be a lot of songs from the new album for sure. I don't think I'd personally see them anytime soon.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:54 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Ask yourself if you like any of the crap they've been putting out since 1999, because it is extremely unlikely they'll be playing anything from before that year except Mother North. My advice: Save the money, buy beer and the new Inquisition instead.

Well they play Forhekset too, and they've thrown a couple Shadowthrone and Dark Medieval Times songs into the set over the last couple years.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:13 pm 

According to someone who saw them yesterday here in Portugal, and taken by ear. Three old songs as usual.

Setlist:

Voice of Shadows
Hvite Krists Død
Now, Diabolical
Black Crow on a Tombstone
Our World, It Rumbles Tonight
Nekrohaven
Repined Bastard Nation
Die By My Hand
The Infinity of Time and Space
Forhekset
To the Mountains
The Pentagram Burns
Encore:
Mother North
Encore 2:
Fuel for Hatred
K.I.N.G.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 pm 

They played here just long ago and the show was pretty good. The setlist above is more or less what you can expect if you go to the show. I would go btw. From the last album, they also play 'Ageless Northern Spirit' which sounds way better live with proper distortion.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:08 am 

Seen them twice. Bored me both times. Musically spot on but no vibe.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:44 am 

I saw them 4 or 5 years ago, perhas more. The concert was great, perfect performance and sound. By the way they played Walk the path of sorrow, one from Shadowthrone and Mother North.

If you havent see them, you should go, at least to form your own opinion. Anyway, when I saw them they played a lot of songs from Now Diabolical, I album that I have enjoyed a lot(with the expection of the terrible KING) so that helped.

The new set-list sucks a lot though.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:56 am 

I saw them early last year, and my neck hurt the day after, so I guess they were good. :) Me and my friends were fairly drunk too, so that might have something to do with it... But they did play Walk the Path of Sorrow, which was awesome to behold. Not much crowd interaction beyond encouraging chanting and raised fists.

Songs like KING might be bad, but the rythmic nature makes it fun to enjoy live.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:10 am 

In situations like this, I tend to just make the effort anyway. So what if it's not great; at least I'll look back and remember that I saw Satyricon - and if you love the early albums that will have meaning for you.

Saw them last year and enjoyed it. It wasn't a great show or anything, but still fun. A fight broke out near the front and Satyr gently chastised those responsible, which was about as black metal as it sounds like. :lol: :hail:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:08 am 

I have seen them like 3-4 times and they're average for the most.

into_the_pit wrote:
And satyr had probably the most retarded stage antics I've ever seen live. he was going for the stadium rock anthem style even though the crowd didn't take up. so he was clapping his hands above his head all the time, going "hey - hey - hey - yeah come on [insert name of the city/venue here]".
on the other hand, when I saw them performing live at wacken with nocturno culto like 10 years ago, they were very tight, very good. I doubt this time or feeling will come back though in 2013.

Man, I HATE this shit! Just play something good and the crowd will get involved!
Wacken's show with Nocturno Culto was supposed to be a Black Metal show and Satyricon gig is, sorry but, not.

Paganbasque wrote:
If you havent see them, you should go, at least to form your own opinion.
The new set-list sucks a lot though.

That's what I think too. You'll possibly never forgive yourself if you never see a band you like live. The only exception to this is some extreme case when you KNOW they'll suck and you prefer to conserve your good memories.
Yeah, it does suck.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:17 am 

Saw them in London last week, and they are seriously one of the best bands I've seen all year, and I don't even like much of their recent output. Their S/T is the first album by them since ND I even like, (as an aside, just how fucking good is that album?!) but they give so much energy when they play, and its a hell of a lot of fun. Seen them twice now, and enjoyed them massively both times. First time they were on the bill with dark fortress, who at the time, were by a very wide margin my avourite band, and I came away having enjoyed Satyricon's set more.

Surprised by the detractors in this thread. Even if their more modern material isn't all that great on the album, its really fun stuff live, and a lot of it from ND and TAON sounds like its written to be Think about how they played, not just whether the setlist was your favourite songs or not. I'm going to be seeing them again next time they play, and hopefully its not another five years.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 am 

saw them two weeks ago

they are not bad live. it's all stuff from the newer albums with one from ND and one from shadowthrone
no DMT these days

it's the whole black n roll thing these days with fist pumping and oi oi oi

they entertain to a point, but for me it gets boring musically. some of those new riffs are dire :/

its worth it for FROSTS drumming though which is solid!!!

worth it but i won't be back

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:27 pm 

What this guy above me said. I really like Satyricon's early work, up to ND, but all of the rest isn't my cup of tea musically speaking. Rebel Extravaganza for instance sounds borderline insulting to me, but that's just how I feel about it. I'm not saying the band isn't cool live and that there isn't energy and all. What I'm saying is that if you're after that atmosphere, and performance for that matter, that would come from the band in 1997 you just won't find it. It's exactly as the above poster described, and even the old songs sound misplaced.

For me it was boring and disappointing to witness this modern iteration of the band live, whereas some people just love it. But I agree with the above sentiment that if you like the band you should see them at least once. It may just not be what you're expecting though.

Metalmeistermms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:59 pm 

I'm agreeing with most that has been said already. Black metal aesthetics you will not find both in stage presence as in atmosphere, but they do play pretty tight and if you like at least some of their newer work (Volcano and on) you will surely enjoy the show. Coming sunday they will play in Eindhoven, but only 50 minutes. Hopefully they will drop some of the newer songs and keep Hvite Krists Død in the setlist as Shadowthrone is my favourite Satyricon album (they played it last time around and they did a pretty good version in my opinion).

On the aesthetic-side I think it's is almost impossible to create the black metal atmosphere from Shadowthrone or Dark Medieval Times when you play the bigger venues like Satyricon does. The last few times I saw them they played venue's with 1300 - 2000 man capacity. In that respect I am quite worried about the tour Inquisition is going on with Cradle of Filth and Behemoth. I really want to see them again, but like the last time in a 250 man venue. I understand this is a great way for them to spread the cult, but I hope it doesn't take too much away from the experience. (sorry for the slight off-topic, but never enough Inquisition promo).
Awaiting our reign

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:39 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Good to know they won't be playing the crap from their first couple of albums. I might catch them when they pass through here (beginning of next year I think).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 pm 

If you ask me Satyricon is one of the most consistent metal bands around...consistently mediocre that is. They have never put out an outright travesty to my knowledge (haven't really heard a couple of the 2000s' albums) and everything they do hovers around the 50% range for me. Their songwriting has always been really crappy but songs often contain a few cool ideas nonetheless.

What is with Frost on the new album? The drumming is really uninspired. Disappointed that he just can't seem to get rocking grooves happening at all because it's so clearly what this material needs.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Reply to topic