Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:10 pm 

one of the oddest things I'd expect to find on my yahoo! feed...

https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/video/playl ... 15370.html

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:46 pm 

Just goes to show that they are a shock rock band doing poorly executed Dissection worship. They spend more time putting on their ridiculous stage make-up and doing publicity magnet stunts like this at shows than playing their instruments and trying to create something worthwhile. Truly one of the worst excuses for a black metal band of all time, a group of vain egotists more concerned with looking badass than producing quality tunes.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:51 pm 

Well what the fuck did they expect really? All Watain has is shock value, they're like the nü metal/00's shock rock of black metal.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:35 pm 

These lucky souls have been blessed by goat's blood - as for the vomit, I think some people may have had a little too much to drink.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:53 pm 

What a fucking joke. This can't be for real. People go to this kind of show and are traumatized by being splattered with "goats blood?" The media seems to be sensationalizing something that has been done so many times before.

Like your reviews?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:03 pm 

? I was at Watain's last Seattle show and he did the same shit. It's just another ordinary part of their theatrical act. Altar bowing, incense burning, flame spewing, it's all there at a typical Watain gig. I'm a fan of Watain but yes this is just the media sensationalizing it. What, the people who paid to see the show were completely unprepared for what they saw or something? Things like this don't happen at shows of this nature?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:09 pm 

If you go to a show where bands like Marduk or Watain are playing, expect there to be some sort of blood thrown in some way. It's a fucking black metal show ffs...

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:47 pm 

Yeah but they are pushing the limits here and entering gimmick territory. Funny, three or four years ago they were getting tons of praise for being one of the most respected black metal bands on the planet.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 am 

Maybe if that was the first exposure anybody ever had to black metal ever, I could maybe kinda see them being shocked by a band throwing (fake) blood all over them, but any veteran of metal shows like virtually everybody on this website knows that this is part of the Watain package and those people that were apparently grossed out to the point of vomiting should not have been surprised at all.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:40 am 

I'm sure the guys in Watain are laughing their asses off right now because this is the exact reaction they were going for with this act in the first place. And they got to live everyone's dream of throwing pigs blood on Brooklyn hipsters. Seems like a win win situation.

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 am 

I don't know what's more hilarious, this being on Yahoo, or the posters on this site who have their panties in a bunch over it. I can only imagine what people here would say if a band like Profanatica ever got some kind of 'mainstream' success.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 am 

I'm betting their critics on these forums would be celebrating them if they didn't have such a hype surrounding them. People here love black metal but hate when artists try to invoke a visual darkness in addition to the audible one. It fits the music, so I don't see what's to complain about.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:13 am 

Truly great bands don't need to play dress up.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 am 

Tell that to King Diamond.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 am 

I'd still like King Diamond if he didn't put make up on :hyper: I'd say he doesn't need it because he is a very talented musician.

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:42 am 

I often like to think that guys like Watain are putting people on with all of their ridiculous anticosmicgnosticsatanicblackmetal schtick. Unfortunately, I think that they're actually sincere. I only own 'Casus Luciferi' and I like it. The blood throwing probably takes on a different significance when they play in the USA in that they may step up their 'misanthropy' because of the American sheep who are only there because of the music. The act might be more of a reflection of their contempt than if it was performed in Europe. But hey, they're still out touring the world making money from the base ideologically void spastics who only like the riffs and blastbeats.

As I said, I like Casus Luciferi but their whole aesthetic and the purpose behind it is, no matter how interesting, juvenile and risible. I suppose if you base a whole music scene on a bunch of adolescent Scandinavians with very little life experience then these things are bound to happen.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:46 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Tell that to King Diamond.

And Inquisition.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:53 am 

Metal....is....theatrical???

WHAT? WHO KNEW!

Watain are good, Casus and Sworn to the Dark are both really solid. The latest sucks though.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:21 pm 

Also "Reaping Death," which was like the one good song off Lawless Darkness.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:34 pm 

I used to hear stories about this band way way back when their first album came out and they only played European and I think a few South American dates. Most of them revolved around Erik being a complete nutcase. I've no doubt that they're sincere in their own way. I don't know why that'd be sad...you'd prefer they be dishonest? ANyway, I still don't care for them; never have. There's some weird shit in this thread..a lot of hyperbole and nonsense.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:51 pm 

marcomai wrote:
The blood throwing probably takes on a different significance when they play in the USA in that they may step up their 'misanthropy' because of the American sheep who are only there because of the music. The act might be more of a reflection of their contempt than if it was performed in Europe. But hey, they're still out touring the world making money from the base ideologically void spastics who only like the riffs and blastbeats.

:???: They've remarked in interviews that they've found American fans to be more sincere, in general, then Europeans..

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:18 pm 

FearTheNome wrote:
marcomai wrote:
The blood throwing probably takes on a different significance when they play in the USA in that they may step up their 'misanthropy' because of the American sheep who are only there because of the music. The act might be more of a reflection of their contempt than if it was performed in Europe. But hey, they're still out touring the world making money from the base ideologically void spastics who only like the riffs and blastbeats.

:???: They've remarked in interviews that they've found American fans to be more sincere, in general, then Europeans..

I've seen an interview where he says this in response to a question about playing for American audiences. It was fairly obvious that his response was placatory and intended so as not to jeopardise the tour and subsequent income. He was clearly trying to contain himself.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:21 pm 

:lol:

who the fuck is this guy?

Also, wouldn't the fact that we can look at an ideology and call it stupid and then subsequently be there fore the music make us less sheep than the Euros who cling to this dumb fucking thing that black metal "should be"?

I'm with Abom - weird stuff going on in this thread. But, black metal threads or black metal and popularity threads often end up with stuff like this.

@Gnu - yeah that song is super legit.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:39 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
:lol:

who the fuck is this guy?

Also, wouldn't the fact that we can look at an ideology and call it stupid and then subsequently be there fore the music make us less sheep than the Euros who cling to this dumb fucking thing that black metal "should be"?

I'm with Abom - weird stuff going on in this thread. But, black metal threads or black metal and popularity threads often end up with stuff like this.

@Gnu - yeah that song is super legit.

You didnt read my post correctly.(probably because you just read the quote). I was mocking the ideology of Watain, and making fun of the notion that its a bad thing to like the music simply for the music's sake.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:52 pm 

OH. My bad dog.

Either way, my "who the fuck is this guy" would then be attributed to E.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:54 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Either way, my "who the fuck is this guy" would then be attributed to E.

Haha. Indeed.

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:21 pm 

marcomai wrote:

I've seen an interview where he says this in response to a question about playing for American audiences. It was fairly obvious that his response was placatory and intended so as not to jeopardise the tour and subsequent income. He was clearly trying to contain himself.

Could you quote this interview for me?

The following is from two different interviews about touring in the states, both of which are regarding shows in New York:

"I think there is much more of a hipster crowd here than down south, where it's Mexicans and real metalheads," Danielsson says, seated in on the steps of Irving Plaza as the band continues to load in. "But I don't pay that much attention to who is in the crowd, as long as there is energy in the crowd. I'm not particularly bothered by hipsters, but they're perhaps not the kind of people that I would go out with after the show. It feels really awkward. I like to talk to people that bleed from the face after the show, that just collapsed in their own pile of leather and bullet belts, than a guy standing around, sipping his IPA."

"Touring the US is always a bit problematic with the kind of stage setup we use back here in Europe. The problems are both logistic and ideologic in nature. US organizers and promoters generally have a much less liberal attitude than Europeans, especially towards stuff that lay in the greyzone between what’s “legal” and what’s not. Anyway, sometimes you come across people who are willing to make stuff happen regardless, as is the case with the Brooklyn concert we now have ahead of us."

Once again, people don't know what the fuck they're talking about. If anything Erik has always been open about his opinion that the best scene is the one from Sweden and also shares the view that a lot of other black metal do, which is the south/southern American crowds are generally better than those in the US.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:42 pm 

marcomai wrote:
But hey, they're still out touring the world making money from the base ideologically void spastics who only like the riffs and blastbeats.

Because as we all know, liking riffs in a metal band is just a big fat no no.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:51 pm 

I learned about this from TMZ doing a story about it on their tv show haha.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:37 pm 

Watain is ridiculous, but standard black metal theatrics such as this is hardly the reason for it. Most black metal musicians dream about showering NY hipsters with pig blood

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:05 pm 

Subrick wrote:
marcomai wrote:
But hey, they're still out touring the world making money from the base ideologically void spastics who only like the riffs and blastbeats.

Because as we all know, liking riffs in a metal band is just a big fat no no.

As I said earlier, if you read my actual post instead of the edited quote you'll find that I was satirising that viewpoint.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:12 pm 

Kutulu wrote:
Once again, people don't know what the fuck they're talking about. If anything Erik has always been open about his opinion that the best scene is the one from Sweden and also shares the view that a lot of other black metal do, which is the south/southern American crowds are generally better than those in the US.

Maybe you should do a little more research before you start criticizing people. I can show you a quote from one such interview here:
Quote:
What difference do you notice between your U.S. and European audience?

I would say that the American audiences are perhaps a bit more…hmm…spicy in character? You know, you play in front of an audience that has been brought up in an environment that has been quite confined in terms of religious, political and moral codes.

I think Europe is very liberal compared to the U.S. and that gives the U.S. citizen a, I believe, stronger yearning for freedom and independence and Watain at its heart is very much about liberation and about independence and about freedom. In that sense, we have a lot of our audience in the U.S. maybe relate more to our concept and essence than a liberal European spoiled little brat (laughs).

http://www.theaquarian.com/2013/10/02/interview-with-watain-on-the-hunt/

And besides that, I've read and seen interviews of Erik in the past where mentions that he loves to tour the States. Here's a quote from an interview last July:
Quote:
Now that there’s a new album, I’m assuming there’s going to be a new tour. You mentioned coming to the states in the fall in a different interview. Do you have any idea who with or when?

We are going to announce it next week, and will wait for another week to talk more about it, because there are still more T’s to be crossed. It’s looking to be a very, very interesting tour. I can’t fucking wait to be back to the states. That’s a place where we can fly. It’s a place where the energy of our music can find roots and grow. We’re going to announce it in a week and we think people are going to be quite satisfied.

http://www.metalinjection.net/interviews/erik-danielsson-of-watain-discusses-the-wild-hunt-a-specific-hipster-buzzword-animal-rights-activists-and-more

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:25 pm 

This is hilarious. I think it's great Watain has their stage show and theatrics, even though I really don't care for them. I think it's neat when bands go the extra mile, especially when they are so conceptual in nature. The whole "ritual" stuff fits with their image and lyrical themes.

I honestly can't believe what is written on the yahoo page, though, that's gotta be fake. People yelling for help? I seriously doubt anyone would have willingly gone to a Watain show if they find the satanic angle "scary".

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:17 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

Uh. King Diamond? Alice Cooper? If every band just wore a t-shirt and jeans and simply played their songs, that would get a little fuckin' monotonous, wouldn't it?

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:25 am 

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:

Uh. King Diamond? Alice Cooper? If every band just wore a t-shirt and jeans and simply played their songs, that would get a little fuckin' monotonous, wouldn't it?

You can go on and on with this. Watch early Omen shows or some early Armored Saint videos/shows. Death SS? GWAR? Kiss? All of those bands are classics and released some damn fine music.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:24 am 

Marag wrote:
Most black metal musicians dream about showering NY hipsters with pig blood

Kutulu wrote:
"I like to talk to people that bleed from the face after the show, that just collapsed in their own pile of leather and bullet belts, than a guy standing around, sipping his IPA."

hahaha, these quotes got a laugh out of me.

i'm definitely on the anti-watain side of the fence, though. as someone else pointed out, their stylised version of "misanthropy" is comical and fake in the same way as glen benton's "satanism". i wouldn't instantly dismiss them for offering half-baked mysticism to 19-year-olds drunk on warm beer at hellfest - hell, given the chance i'd do that - but as yet another pointed out already, musically it's just a poor dissection imitation. it doesn't fill the gap; it just makes me pine for the real thing even more.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:48 am 

Zdan wrote:
From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:

You can go on and on with this. Watch early Omen shows or some early Armored Saint videos/shows. Death SS? GWAR? Kiss? All of those bands are classics and released some damn fine music.

Well I don't really care if a band likes to prance around on stage like they are at a childhood Halloween party :) so it doesn't really make a difference to me what they look like.

Bicro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:17 am 

Anti-humanism was right about these guys.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:02 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

Tell that to Judas Priest.

Why do you have to be "anti-Watain"? Why do you have to be "anti this or that"? Watain is doing their thing, and it's going well. Good for them! An exactly what points to them being dishonest about what they do? Why would they? To become rich and famous?

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:48 pm 

THEMICRULAH has a point, tbh - if watain's theatrics impress you and you're older than about 21, then *sigh*. it's packaged deal "misanthropic black metal for beginners"-type crap, regardless of how conceited that sounds. and the singer is such an outspoken dickhead about it; i think that's what annoys me. i can forgive them for most of it - hell, if i had to write off every band that preached mock satanism to teenagers and stole dissection riffs, i'd never be able to listen to black metal again - but the obstinance of the whole deal shits me. if you're gonna indulge in such an obvious lurk you owe it to us to wink at the fucking camera once in a while.

edit: 1000th post! good to see i didn't waste it saying anything nice! ha

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next