Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 am 

hippiedrow wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
That it's not metal. :(

There's a ton of great music that is not metal. You are only hurting yourself by ignoring it.

20 years later, I've decided this statement is less true than I once thought.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 pm 

Trailer is up, finally :

http://youtu.be/G9XTxXEcqLU

After one listen, the tune is already on repeat in my head, catchy. The guitars could be a tad bit more in the foreground and I surely hope the black metal vocals remain on the album.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:20 pm 

^Sounds great, can't wait for it!

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:26 pm 

preordered the limited edition boxset - soundclip does not disappoint either :D

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:53 pm 

Sounds great although those spoken parts are a little bit annoying. Preordered the golden vinyl version of the upcoming album and the golden vinyl version of Dol Guldur :P

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:04 pm 

I'm quite sure the spoken parts are not part of the song, but simply as a poetic description of what the new CD is about Just like a movie trailer.

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:28 pm 

Braltika wrote:
I'm quite sure the spoken parts are not part of the song, but simply as a poetic description of what the new CD is about Just like a movie trailer.

I know, but they're annoying nontheless.

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:13 pm 

I'm guessing they're a peek at the lyrics from the title track. They're printed on the new shirts after all. But it would have been nice to actually hear the vocals. Definitely left me wanting more though and I really love the imagery used in the video.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm 

Sounds great so far... not sure they're gonna top Oathbound, though.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:39 pm 

This should be excellent! Summoning are great! such good use of melody, i also really like the DVKE stuff they do on the sides, good to relax at night to

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 pm 

YESSS!!!!! Preordered the gold double LP, can't wait for this album to be released and arrive!!!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 am 

Preordered the gold lp for the new album and Dol Guldur. I am excited, my copies of Lugburz and Minas Morgul came today and they are awesome!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:46 am 

Ha, gold version of the new album and Dol Guldur seems to be sold out already :P
Glad I ordered them the second I knew they were out yesterday.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:19 am 

The sample sounds great and the images are simply beautiful!!. I dont know if preorder the limited edition or not, my freak side says do it b*stard! hahaha. :D

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
The sample sounds great and the images are simply beautiful!!. I dont know if preorder the limited edition or not, my freak side says do it b*stard! hahaha. :D

Haha me too, but 32euro plus postage is alot of cash, need to think on this one! The samples do sound great.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:18 am 

Braltika wrote:
Trailer is up, finally :
After one listen, the tune is already on repeat in my head, catchy. The guitars could be a tad bit more in the foreground and I surely hope the black metal vocals remain on the album.

Thanks!

chaos_orb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:14 pm 

32 Euros!?!?!?! o_O

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:53 pm 

The voice over guy made me laugh. I just couldn't help but picture an old man who failed his whole life to break into the trailer voice over business, all pissed off that a gig for some metal band's new album was the best he could find.

The music though sounds excellent! Definitely going to be another kick-ass Summoning album, no doubt about it.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:07 am 

Ok I have done it, box set has been preordered. The fucking price is crazy but I had to have the bonus tracks. This had better be worth it Summoning!!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:56 am 

STORMM wrote:
Ok I have done it, box set has been preordered. The fucking price is crazy but I had to have the bonus tracks. This had better be worth it Summoning!!

Ahhhh you are a weak boy. :D

The shiping costs are not cheap so perhaps I will order another cd or t-shirt. What a great excuse to buy another album hahaha.

And yes, the bonus tracks seem to be very interesting, mainly because of the song titles.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:24 am 

ordered, forest green vinyl!!

the postage costs are normally a deal breaker for me but 6eur is very reasonable compared to some i've seen
28eur all in, not bad

fuk, this is my first vinyl purchase is 20years!

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:59 am 

It's times like this that I really wish Napalm had as US branch, $41 + shipping is a little much. Might have to settle for the standard edition whenever it's available on Amazon or whatever. :(

Really like what I heard in the trailer though and I want to hear MOAR!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:17 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Ahhhh you are a weak boy. :D

The shiping costs are not cheap so perhaps I will order another cd or t-shirt. What a great excuse to buy another album hahaha.

And yes, the bonus tracks seem to be very interesting, mainly because of the song titles.

I know, I know haha just could not resist and my financial postion is pretty good at the minute thank fuck. The extras are a gimmick but its all about the bonus tracks. I would have felt more at ease if I could have bought direct from the artist as I do in most cases, hate paying large labels fees like :(

Zephirus wrote:
ordered, forest green vinyl!!

the postage costs are normally a deal breaker for me but 6eur is very reasonable compared to some i've seen
28eur all in, not bad

fuk, this is my first vinyl purchase is 20years!

Nice one Zephirus, I was charge 9 euro postage for the limited cd? Wonder why it was more expensive than the vinyl postage.

Blood_Red87 wrote:
It's times like this that I really wish Napalm had as US branch, $41 + shipping is a little much. Might have to settle for the standard edition whenever it's available on Amazon or whatever. :(

Just cave in like I done and order it :) .

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 am 

Well, the shiping costs of Napalm are not cheap but I have seen much more expensive ones(mainly in Germany). And these guys are very nice, professional and they send always the items very fast (in 2/3 days you receive them). Moreover, this label has a lot of albums that I like so I usually send a couple of orders every year.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:16 pm 

Some versions of the release have sold out already :o Be prepared for some insane ebay auctions.

Paganbasque wrote:
Well, the shiping costs of Napalm are not cheap but I have seen much more expensive ones(mainly in Germany). And these guys are very nice, professional and they send always the items very fast (in 2/3 days you receive them). Moreover, this label has a lot of albums that I like so I usually send a couple of orders every year.

They are a good label indeed bro but still know how to charge when they want to. Still glad I have it pre-ordered, now just to wait.....

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:15 pm 

I ordered the limited edition boxset for the bonus tracks as well :thumbsup: it was an impulse buy so didn't think much about the price!

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:12 pm 

Sounds great! I don't want any of the special edition bonus' except for the extra tracks... damn. I'll probably buy the regular cd and download those extras if I can.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:45 am 

I'm not sure what shipping costs if you live in Europe or elsewhere, but I live in the U.S.A. and shipping was just €7 for the gold vinyl. To me that's a fair price to pay for shipping from Germany to America. I've ordered from them before and the packages arrive very fast.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:34 am 

The horn about 50 seconds makes me laugh and the voice-over makes me cringe. I hope that's just for the trailer.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 am 

Sounds like it's gonna be good, it's very catchy.

Although one thing I've always wished for is that they used an orchestra instead of synthesizers, even if it was only on a few songs. They use synths to get the sounds of orchestral instruments anyways, so I think it would really breathe new life into their songs and really help their sound become more organic and lively, rather than so mechanical. Don't get me wrong, their stuff is still really good, but I just feel that if they orchestrated the synth parts with real instruments it would be amazing.

Plus, they could choose a group of musicians that they really like and maybe even play shows with them. Honestly, who WOULDN'T go pay to see that?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:57 am 

Satan. He would be too busy defrosting hell.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:46 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
I think it would really breathe new life into their songs and really help their sound become more organic and lively, rather than so mechanical.

That's not a mistake on their part. Their music is heavily modeled after some of the early electronica artists of the 70's like Tangerine Dream. The consistent repetition in their songs is a dead giveaway. Making it less mechanical just wouldn't be Summoning.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:06 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
I think it would really breathe new life into their songs and really help their sound become more organic and lively, rather than so mechanical.

That's not a mistake on their part. Their music is heavily modeled after some of the early electronica artists of the 70's like Tangerine Dream. The consistent repetition in their songs is a dead giveaway. Making it less mechanical just wouldn't be Summoning.

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree that it wouldn't be Summoning. They wouldn't have to change their songwriting style at all, all I'm saying is replace the synths with real instruments playing the parts. I think it'd be fucking cool!

Then again though I'm just not huge on synthesizers in general. Too much of it to me makes it sound cheesy.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:13 pm 

After reading about all the hassle Elend went through trying to work with legit musicians, I can completely understand why they steer clear.

Interesting point about the link between Summoning and Tangerine Dream, Claus Schutze etc. I though Oath Bound sounded a lot like Der Blutharsch or similar martial industrial acts.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 pm 

Meh didn't do it for me from that sample. I prefer the rawer approach that still retained some black metal like Stronghold.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:23 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

True, sometimes I think it would be interesting to see Summoning using some real orchestral arrangements, but I think they are too lazy to spent money on this, and in the end this "austere" use of equipments and arrangements is part of their original sound.

About the editions, well I can see that the limited edition is still available, it would be good if Napalm could inform about how many units last. :D

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:11 pm 

Samples on Amazon

So... this sounds fantastic. Interesting that they went back to more traditional "MIDI-ish" synth sounds, though it could just be the crappy sound quality of the samples that makes it sounds like that. This definitely sounds like Summoning sticking to the general formula but doing a lot to revitalize their sound. "Carahdras" in particular sounds very somber compared to their other works. June 7th can't come fast enough!

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:15 am 

^I am so fucking happy that 2012 was a bust.
Death metal is eternal.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:06 am 

Wow, this sounds like such an interesting direction! I've been fascinated to see how they'd follow up Oath Bound.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:26 am 

Holy shit those samples rule hard. "The White Tower" sounds like it'll be a total banger and I love how mellow "Caradhras" seems.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next