Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 am 

STORMM wrote:
Anybody who ordered the limited cd receive theirs yet? I have not and sent Napalm two emails to see if they have been dispatched but got fuck all reply :fuck: which is quite annoying.

Edit - Forgive my stupidty, I thought the release date was the 7th of May lol fuck sake, all is forgiven Napalm :)

Sorry my friend, you must wait 3 weeks more, poor napalm records guys, they must be suffering a massive attack from annoying Summoning fans heheheh :D

Sarn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 pm 

Peroy wrote:
Listened to the songs again. Still nothing. Very disappointed.

Well, if you consider "Might and Glory" and "Land of the Dead" among their best songs, then I can see why OMD might not appeal to you. Said two songs are what I consider easily the weakest that Summoning has ever produced (along with Saruman from Lost Tales), so for me it's a relief that OMD doesn't feel even close to them.

That said, OMD is something that I wouldn't have even dreamt of Summoning still being able to put out. I definitely get a Minas Morgul vibe from it, like someone else already mentioned.

Is it better than Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur or Mortal Heroes?
No, because you can't top these albums, but it's definitely up on par.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:58 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Sorry my friend, you must wait 3 weeks more, poor napalm records guys, they must be suffering a massive attack from annoying Summoning fans heheheh :D

Haha, quite true bud, feel like an ass now, not sure why the fuck I had the 7th of May in my head.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 pm 

Sarn wrote:

Old Mornings Dawn is better than these three albums in every way. I really love those albums, but OMD is just Summoning perfection from beginning to end, and I just can't say the same about those older albums, which glimpse perfection from time to time but don't embrace it constantly. In regards to production, vocals, and songwriting, I really think OMD is the best they've ever done.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Old Mornings Dawn is better than these three albums in every way.

Let's not go nuts...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:48 pm 

Oh it's an amazing album, we don't have any hindsight but it's definitely in their top 3.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:04 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Oh it's an amazing album, we don't have any hindsight but it's definitely in their top 3.

It's true that it has to stand the test of time before I can really say it's their best album, but I have a feeling it will age nicely since I get more and more out of it the more I listen.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:19 am 

Meh, it's more accessible I recon, and even more catchy than their other stuff. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially not in this case, but that's my theory as to why everyone is going nuts over it.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:39 am 

Razakel wrote:
Sarn wrote:

Old Mornings Dawn is better than these three albums in every way.

No way!
I STILL think the first 3 songs are perfect but the other ones...

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 am 

I like the whole album actually. I think it's easily better than Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur. Maybe not Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame.

Black Kommunion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 am 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
So stoked about this. Glad to hear the spirit is back. Everyone gets burnt out once in a while.

THIS!!!!!!!!!

Really looking forward to this return! Music and art always killed!!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:31 pm 

Quote:
In the following, we want to give you a short outlook of all planned releases concerning Summoning during this and the next year.

As the Summoning boxset, limited to 1000 copies, was sold out pretty fast and won`t be repressed, Napalm Records is planning an ultimate earbook edition with different cover artwork, a 24 pages booklet, the CD with the bonus tracks, and a special 7 inch vinyl with acoustic versions of the songs "Old Mornings Dawn" and "Caradhras".

In the end of this year “Nightshade Forests” and “Oath Bound” will be released on vinyl.

Next year the “Lost Tales” EP will be releasd on vinyl. This edition will be a 10 inch including the two remixes of the before mentioned earbook.

There are also about six unfinished and therefore unreleased songs from the “Old Mornings Dawn” session, which we will work on as soon as possible and hopefully are able to release them only on vinyl (maybe including a download code)in the middle of 2014.

In the end of next year, when everything is said and done, and all works are finished and released, the forgesse will get cold again,and we will rest at last. Then Summoning will fall asleep again for a longer time, until a new dawn is rising...

Oh my.... :drool:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:35 pm 

forestcorpse wrote:
Quote:
In the end of next year, when everything is said and done, and all works are finished and released, the forgesse will get cold again,and we will rest at last. Then Summoning will fall asleep again for a longer time, until a new dawn is rising...

Which basically means another hiatus.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:51 pm 

I like this a lot, but I still think Oath Bound is the best.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:37 pm 

boo, i would like an album every...3 years, that's not so much to ask is it!? lol

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:25 pm 

Finally received the box set and the first listen does not dissappoint, def one of their catchiest albums, just love all the riffs. The bonus tracks do not take away from the run of the album, With Fire and Sword the better of the two. This will 100% make its way into my top 10 of 2013.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:43 am 

forestcorpse wrote:
Quote:
In the following, we want to give you a short outlook of all planned releases concerning Summoning during this and the next year.

As the Summoning boxset, limited to 1000 copies, was sold out pretty fast and won`t be repressed, Napalm Records is planning an ultimate earbook edition with different cover artwork, a 24 pages booklet, the CD with the bonus tracks, and a special 7 inch vinyl with acoustic versions of the songs "Old Mornings Dawn" and "Caradhras".

In the end of this year “Nightshade Forests” and “Oath Bound” will be released on vinyl.

Next year the “Lost Tales” EP will be releasd on vinyl. This edition will be a 10 inch including the two remixes of the before mentioned earbook.

There are also about six unfinished and therefore unreleased songs from the “Old Mornings Dawn” session, which we will work on as soon as possible and hopefully are able to release them only on vinyl (maybe including a download code)in the middle of 2014.

Fuck yes! the earbook sounds pretty amazing, specially because the 24 page booklet, ahhh finally a good booklet from these guys!!! :D :D

The long hiatus is something expected, the good thing is that they have clearly stated that it will be a another dawn.

By the way, I hate when something is released only in vinyl edition... :(

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:24 am 

forestcorpse wrote:
[Info]

That rules...

OzzyApu wrote:
Which basically means another hiatus.

...but that sucks. :(
LOL!

STORMM wrote:
Finally received the box set and the first listen does not dissappoint, def one of their catchiest albums, just love all the riffs. The bonus tracks do not take away from the run of the album, With Fire and Sword the better of the two. This will 100% make its way into my top 10 of 2013.

Nice to know that about the bonus tracks!

By the way, I'm starting to enjoy ALL the album.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 am 

The real copy sounds worlds better than the awful leaked version released earlier. What an incredible album.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:00 am 

Got mine as well. What a glorious sound. Caradhras is, to me, their greatest achievement. Album of the year for me...
The first half of the album is more in line with Oath Bound and LMH... and the second half reminds me more of the Nightshade Forests EP (one of the albums I least enjoyed actually).

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:47 pm 

Good to hear their will be an expanded, more widely available edition with the bonus tracks. Looks like I'll be buying OMD twice.

Still have a couple weeks more to wait for my standard CD edition from Amazon. :annoyed:

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:48 pm 

I'm normally not one for keyboard-centric black metal and I still very much enjoyed this. It makes me want to explore their other work.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:50 pm 

This album has grown on me despite having a "spare parts" feel.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:49 am 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
I'm normally not one for keyboard-centric black metal and I still very much enjoyed this. It makes me want to explore their other work.

This is something I would highly reccommend doing... Regarding the box set, it just dawned on me I never even opened the flag or looked at the other items which again proves they are not worth a fuck and I must agree with others that there should have been a cd only version with the bonus tracks at a more reasonable price. It saddens me to read that the band will be "put to sleep" again once the other versions of the album are released and for a longer period than before. I hope this does not mean they will "bow out" on a high as that is a hell of a long time to wait again on another album...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:16 am 

STORMM wrote:
FaultyClockwork wrote:

This is something I would highly reccommend doing... Regarding the box set, it just dawned on me I never even opened the flag or looked at the other items which again proves they are not worth a fuck and I must agree with others that there should have been a cd only version with the bonus tracks at a more reasonable price. It saddens me to read that the band will be "put to sleep" again once the other versions of the album are released and for a longer period than before. I hope this does not mean they will "bow out" on a high as that is a hell of a long time to wait again on another album...

Longer period? I havent seen this... but I dont expect less than 6 years before we see another new album... :(

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:20 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

Longer period? I havent seen this... but I dont expect less than 6 years before we see another new album... :(

Sadly so mate, this is from the end of their most recent update -

"In the end of next year, when everything is said and done, and all works are finished and released, the forgesse will get cold again,and we will rest at last. Then Summoning will fall asleep again for a longer time, until a new dawn is rising..."

This could mean a few things, even the end of the band??

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 pm 

I got my vinyl in the mail today!! I'm listening to it right now and this is glorious!! My only complaint is no lyric sheet or anything but hey that's ok.

EDIT: I just read in the inside of the gatefold jacket a part that gives credit to someone for "booklet and layout concept". Does this mean I didn't get a booklet or is it only the CD that has a booklet? Anybody with the vinyl can tell me? I have the gold one if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:19 pm 

Wait, so it's out? M-A says the earliest release date is June 5th... :confused:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:58 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Yep but only the Napalm pre-orders Morrigan. Sometimes Napalm send releases like these out early, I was quite excited when I got the 'order shipped' email from them last week. :hyper:

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:21 pm 

They're probably having more fun, and making more money, in other genres.

That's what happens when metalcore takes over ;)

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:46 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

I just got a lossless rip!

By the way, not sure if this has been posted here but here's an interview:
http://thatshowkidsdie.com/2013/05/23/i ... #more-6273

Hail Summoning!

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:09 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Hail Summoning!

Thanks for posting this!

Sooooo can anyone answer my previous question? Are the vinyl editions supposed to come with no booklet or lyric sheet?

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 pm 

Silenius wrote:
What inspired me music-wise in the last few months are the two albums from Winglord and the releases from two ambient projects. First from the band Arkhaion – When Gods Walked the Earth, and second the band Penjaga Insaf, with the album Sama Sadja.

That's kind of interesting. I've been aware of Winglord for a while, but I only gave them a cursory listen and didn't really dig their sound. The all-around high quality level of the new Summoning release makes me want to give them a second chance.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:20 am 

STORMM wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

Sadly so mate, this is from the end of their most recent update -

"In the end of next year, when everything is said and done, and all works are finished and released, the forgesse will get cold again,and we will rest at last. Then Summoning will fall asleep again for a longer time, until a new dawn is rising..."

This could mean a few things, even the end of the band??

Oh, I didnt see the word "longer", I dont know what to think, 7 years was a really long period so it is a little bit worrying. Anyway, they have their normal lives and jobs and they take all the time they need to release a new album so I dont see any logic reason to end with the band, taking into account this we could have Summoning for years and years, but if they loose all the motivation to make this short of music... :(

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:30 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Hail Summoning!

Awesome interview and awesome photo!!

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:14 am 

Enjoying the album but that photo is ridiculous. What a waste of bed sheets

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:53 am 

Quote:
For us Oathbound was going more in the heroic direction while the new album is more melancholic. While Oathbound sounded like riding into a battle, Old Mornings Dawn sounds like riding back wounded from a battle.

[...]

but if we focus on the melodies I think the new one is definitely melancholic and even sometimes depressive.

This got me pumped. I'm unable to afford the album at the moment though.

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:36 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:

Ridiculous photos are part of the Summoning experience, like that one where Silenius(?) dressed up like J.R.R. Tolkien, complete with pipe, or that time one of them photoshopped themselves as an Ent.

Got my boxset in the mail today, so I guess the preorders have finally made it stateside. The necklace is very nice. I was worried about it flipping over or leaning because the Summoning logo looks a bit top-heavy, but it's well balanced. Even comes with a cord! The flag is huge, and so is the patch. Don't actually have enough room on my damn jacket for it! The bonus tracks are great. They kind of lean back towards the Oathbound sound more, so I can understand why Summoning doesn't consider them part of the Old Mornings Dawn experience.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:51 pm 

Roc wrote:
Thanks for posting this!
Sooooo can anyone answer my previous question? Are the vinyl editions supposed to come with no booklet or lyric sheet?

Paganbasque wrote:
Awesome interview and awesome photo!!

No problem.

Beer Baron wrote:

LOL!

TheTrueSeker wrote:
That's kind of interesting. I've been aware of Winglord for a while, but I only gave them a cursory listen and didn't really dig their sound. The all-around high quality level of the new Summoning release makes me want to give them a second chance.

I haven't:
http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Winglord

Ilwhyan wrote:
This got me pumped. I'm unable to afford the album at the moment though.

Are you against downloading?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:53 pm 

It's better than the Lunar Aurora white cardigan photos.

BasqueStorm: It's Summoning, it deserves to be bought.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next