Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:29 am 

Obviously many a metal fan (at least it seems so to me) prefer listening to full-length releases rather than just "hit" individual songs (or at least this becomes more so with time spent listening to the genre), and I'm no exception. So why not discuss the first full-length releases that we committed to in full? How long ago, the feelings of discovery, the possible newfound enjoyment of owning physical media instead of iTunes mp3s, how then feels different from now, and the like.

My first was "Reign in Blood", bought on a whim at Hot Topic, not long after my first forray into "real metal" (not nu metal) with scattered 1349, Celtic Frost, and Cannibal Corpse songs. I liked it, but thought all of the songs sounded the same. Not anymore (although plenty would still agree with my early opinion).

Then "War Is the Answer", obviously doesn't count, but cut some slack haha.

Then came "In the Nightside Eclipse", from Best Buy (thoughts of "Hey, this looks like black metal"). It took me a long time to really "get" this one, sure it made decent background music to Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer sessions, but it probably took several dozen listens to start hearing the layers and really "understand" the music. But just like it was back then, that opening scream in "Beyond the Great Vast Forest" is fucking amazing.

It's all a blur after that, but it was just so exciting discovering new metal back then (5+ years ago). The "magic" of then is kind of gone now, but that's inevitable really. I don't think I've listened to my Reign in Blood CD in the car since that day I bought it actually (even though I've probably listened to it 100 times otherwise), so it's time for it.

So what were your forrays into metal back in your early, formative days?

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:45 am 

Bought Load by Metallica some 16 years ago. It was a blind purchase - thought "if it's Metallica, it must be good." Songs like Disposable Heroes and Sad But True heard from my cousin's cassettes had made me a metalhead sometime before. Then bought Ride the Lightning, and it made a lasting impression. Fade to Black is still a top 5 song for me.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:47 am 

Well, the first album I bought wasn't a metal one. It was Jamiroquai's "Travelling Without Moving" on cassette. Still have it too. The second album I bought was Soundgarden's "Down on the Upside." The first CD I got was the Mortal Kombat Annihilation soundtrack. Then various rock and rap albums, some nu-metal stuff. I guess my first real metal full-length purchase was Ride the Lightning. I believe I got Master of Puppets and Kill 'Em All before that as gifts. One of my most memorable purchases from my high school years was Reign in Blood, Fabulous Disaster, and Among the Living all in one stop. Back when Best Buy still had a pretty good selection of music and movies.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:03 am 

I'd agree that Reign in Blood is pretty much a same-y blur. But this is Slayer we are talking about. I don't expect anything but.

First metal album I bought was Kill Em All. Thought it was pretty rad at the time, Phantom Lord and Hit the Lights were my favorite tracks. I got S&M shortly after and that's what really sucked me in - massive, majestic.

The first album I ever bought for myself is worth mentioning because it's proto-metal...a Kiss compilation called Killers with Eric Carr on the cover even though he's only on like two tracks.
Kinda like when they put Ace on the cover of Creatures.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:31 am 

Well, 16 years ago I purchased an album called Ikasten made by the Basque crossover/modern metal band Berri Txarrak, that was my first metal album. My first international metal album was perhaps, because I am not sure, a true classic, British Steel by Judas Priest. Other first releases were Far Beyond Driven by Pantera, and Iron Maiden´s Rock in Rio.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:21 am 

Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II and Def Leppard - Adrenalize, if I remember correctly.

Stormrider
The Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:25 am 

First full length Album (non Metal): Duran Duran - Seven and the ragged Tiger (almost exactly 30 years ago)
First full length Album (vinyl Hard Rock): hmmm Whitesnake - Lovehunter (i think)
First full length Album (vinyl Heavy Metal): one of the early Iron maiden Albums - either Number of the Beast or the debut
First full length Album (CD Heavy Metal): either King Diamond - Them or Among the Living by Anthrax.

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/stormrider
http://connect.collectorz.com/users/stormrider/music
https://www.facebook.com/EdenLiesObscured

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:56 am 

I believe I got my first full lengths because I wanted to collect vinyl. Before that I downloaded individual songs.
I got 4 I believe. WASP - The Last Command, Queensryche - The Warning, Warlock - Burning The Witches and the Metal Battle comp.
I loved the Last Command but shortly after those I got Megadeth's So Far So Good So What and that record changed my life.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 am 

I'm not sure. It's either AC/DC's Powerage or Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast together with Live After Death. I know that quickly after these two I bought als Reign in Blood and Show No Mercy, and then later on Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane, Nemesis Divina and Damnation by Opeth. Exciting times for sure. What also was cool is that there was still close to my hometown in a city called Den Bosch a store which actually sold good metal, but like everything good in Den Bosch which is not mainstream, the store had to go. This was all probably in 2006 and 2007.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:32 am 

First non-metal album was probably Lynyrd Skynyrd or Marillion.
First metal album is something I'm not all that sure of but I think it was Sentenced - Frozen in -98 when it came out.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:33 am 

The first record I bought was Michael Jackson's Dangerous, being the cool Macauley Culkin wannabe that I was at that age. The first metal records I bought were Load and Reload, though I acquired several, mostly Metallica, records much earlier.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:37 am 

Don't remember exactly, but it happened in 1994 and it was one of this albums

Edge of Sanity "The Spectral Sorrows"
or
Sepultura "Arise"
or
Amorphis "Tales of the thousand lakes"
or
Tiamat "Clouds"

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:21 am 

Terri23 wrote:
The first record I bought was Michael Jackson's Dangerous, being the cool Macauley Culkin wannabe that I was at that age. The first metal records I bought were Load and Reload, though I acquired several, mostly Metallica, records much earlier.

Michael Jackson is pretty dangerous, and he ain't even rock n' roll! - Fenriz

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:19 am 

I got MC Hammer "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" on cassette when I was 5 from my grandmother (who already owned it).

Then I think I got Boyz II Men "II" and Seal's album with "Kiss From a Rose" when I was 9 or 10.

Finally got into hard rock by high school and aside from my first few burned CD mixes, the first actual albums I found at a yard sale were "Living After Midnight: Best of Judas Priest" and Maiden's "Somewhere in Time" - which I picked purely because it had the song "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" and I was getting into running at the time.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:24 am 

First album - Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet Pic Disc my dad brought home to me from a trade show in '87 when I turned 10
First CD - Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night
First cassettes - Def Leppard - Hysteria and U2 - The Joshua Tree
First Metal CD - Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:05 pm 

Master of Puppets in 1998 when 12 years old. Never bought any non-metal cd's prior to that. Listened the shit out of this one. Still have it, except for the back cover (?). Opened the case just a while ago and noticed a slight CD rot mark. Oh well.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:07 pm 

I bought Nile's "In Their Darkened Shrines" back in about 2003, i was into nu metal and stuff and thought Slipknot was heavy as fuck, then i heard Nile somewhere on the internet and bought it, i never actually liked it until i got into real metal like 2006.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:24 pm 

I was 11 at the time.

At that age, you liked Michael jackson and Michael Jackson liked you back.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:51 pm 

My first album purchase was AC/DC's Back in Black and I think the metal purchase I made was Master of Puppets. Which is especially amusing since I was trying to find the album that had Enter Sandman on it and couldn't remember what the actual song was called...

Wibble23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:53 pm 

Very first LP I got was Tubeway Army's "Replicas" (Dating myself there...)
First metal LP? "Ace of Spades", I think...

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:23 pm 

First metal album bought (vinyl): Pestilence - Malleus Malificarum.
Loved it and still do, although the vinyl was long since replaced by the cd. It was my introduction to heavier music than most of what I had acquired on tape at that time.
Followed by first metal CD: Sepultura - Morbid Visions / Bestial Devastation.
I hated it. Arise had just come out and getting some radio play, but I couldn't get it. I loved that album, so immediately bought the debut when I found it locally. It was very different to what I expected. I only got into it a few years later.

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:28 pm 

My first CD was WASP - The last Command which I got as a Christmas present in 1992 and the first albums I bought myself were the vinyls of:

Judas Priest - Painkiller
Tankard - Fat, ugly & Live

Still loving all of those
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:51 pm 

I'd had some digital music before that, from either my dad (who brought home Dragonforce and started my metal journey, hah) or friends (who introduced me to some much more well known bands like Iron Maiden and Dream Theater), and I'd just acquired Mike Oldfield The Platinum Collection since my dad was going to sell it and I liked most of the tracks on there, but the first CD I chose to own was Sonata Arctica - Silence. I loved all of their stuff, but that album art was the clincher. So pretty.

Though actually, I remember borrowing an Iron Maiden live album from the library before that, I think. Death on the Road, going from how I remember the art being. Pretty damn cool horse and carriage. I didn't know it was a live album though so was confused as to why it had some songs from the albums I'd borrowed from friends and put on my computer, and disappointed when I listened to it and it sounded "worse" with people in between. Oh well, you live and learn.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:11 pm 

Stormrider wrote:
First full length Album (non Metal): Duran Duran - Seven and the ragged Tiger (almost exactly 30 years ago)

Holy shit, that was my first musical purchase too! Bought that back in like 84 or 85 :old:

Von Jugel wrote:
First album - Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet Pic Disc my dad brought home to me from a trade show in '87 when I turned 10

This was my first rock album. Got that on tape back in 1986, I think.

First metal album(s): either Iron Maiden "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" or Megadeth "So Far, So Good... So What!" (both on tape, can't remember which came first)
First metal CD: Metallica "And Justice for All"
First death metal album: Death "Spiritual Healing"
First power metal album: Leatherwolf "S/T" (the 2nd album on Island Records - got it on tape in '88, long before I know what power metal was)
First Japanese pressing: Anathema "The Silent Enigma"

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:10 pm 

I was in... hmmm... probably 4th grade (maybe 3rd, but thats possibly pushing it) (I'm 26 now, you do the math) and my first CD I ever bought was "Hellbilly Deluxe" by Rob Zombie. Not long after that I got "Tonight The Stars Revolt" by Powerman 5000 :)

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:23 pm 

My first full length was Metallica's Black Album on CD back in '95. Then I bought Pantera's Trendkill on cassette the following year.

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:41 pm 

I think it was Pantera - Far Beyond Driven. I didn't buy it though, one of my friends gave it to me. I think the first one I bought with my own money might have been Sepultura - Chaos A.D.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:24 pm 

Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:52 pm 

Either Master of Puppets, Justic or Black Album. Freshman year of High School.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:02 pm 

The first album I ever got was Simply Red's "Life", because it had the song "We're In This Together" which was the official song of Euro '96 and I was (and still am) a football fan. I sold it years ago. My first Metal album was either Moonspell's "The Butterfly Effect" or COF's "From The Cradle To Enslave EP".

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:15 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
My first album purchase was AC/DC's Back in Black and I think the metal purchase I made was Master of Puppets. Which is especially amusing since I was trying to find the album that had Enter Sandman on it and couldn't remember what the actual song was called...

Whoah, those were my first album purchases as well. The Enter Sandman thing doesn't apply in my case, but still cool.

jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:51 pm 

Comments on Reign in Blood after enjoying two listens today:

What an easy album to "sing along" to, maybe the words aren't always clear, but the vocal-line and syllable placements are really easy to remember. I guess Tom probably needed to simplify that aspect to be able to handle the up-tempo nature of the songs.

The album sounds good but could go for a better sound on the bass drums, Lombardo's double-bass drumming isn't always too audible, sometimes it just fades into the background and it almost sounds like he's doing your basic fast thrash "skank" or "polka" beats (hope I'm using those terms right: I'm talking the really fast bass/snare alternation).

I wish I could understand when people can't differentiate the songs on the album, I could hum this entire thing riff-by-riff with almost no problem. Sure, it's a one-trick pony, but that doesn't mean the songs all sound the same (except for the drumming in a way, going back to the production), and they're all very memorable as far as I'm concerned.

scentofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:04 am 

My first metal purchases were bootleg tapes, because where I grew up those were the only ones available.

Around 14 yrs old and was visiting one of my cousins, who took me out and about in his downtown, where I spotted a crowd of people hovering over a merch table with hundreds of boot tapes. Checked it out and immediately I noticed a guy was bending over the big table pretending to reach for some tapes while another next to him was bagging whatever tapes he could grab from under his mate. I mentioned it to my cousin but he said "keep quiet, you'll get your ass kicked and then some".

While envious of the thieving duo, I browsed the table and based on the titles and the covers (color xerox was new to me) I bought Samael - Worship Him and My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans.

After listening and being blown away by my mysterious findings, I asked a guy I knew was into this music where I could find the same in my city. He directed me to a store 2 neighborhoods away that was selling boot tapes. The store owner had endless Excel sheets printed out on pink paper and taped in the large windows displaying existing and incoming titles that could be "ordered" from him.
Upon entering I lost my shit over the album covers I was seeing. With the money I had, I could buy 4 tapes off the guy's shelf, or drop off 8 blank tapes and have him dub me the albums I wanted. He said "I got a new Technics deck so don't worry they'll sound great". I didn't know what Technics was but I asked if I would get color xeroxed covers and he agreed. Perfect! :)

So I picked the following:

Morbid Angel - Domination (because of the band name)
Tristitia - One With Darkness (because of the crosses in the dark cover and album title)
Elend - Lecons de Tenebres (because of the album title)
Morgana Lefay - Sanctified (because of the cover)
My Dying Bride - Angel and the Dark River (because of previous experience with Turn loose the swans)
Lake of Tears - Headstones (because of band name and album cover)
Sentenced - Amok (not because of the cover but because it was printed in horizontal :) )
Immortal - Battles In The North (because of the logo and the photo on the cover)

For a long time those tapes were played on a "Pawasonic" (yup!) cassette player that only worked if I stuck a pair of scissors between the Play and Rewind buttons. As they say, metal as fuck.

I've been a crazed fan since then, except now I can afford vinyl and have had a couple of Technics decks myself :) I remember I was contemplating having a Xerox color copier for my dubbed tapes when I was younger which is completely mad, but I did meet a guy who had one. His father worked for a newspaper and somehow they had one in the house. Problem solved.

There... that's my first album purchase story. Cheers!

diazemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:30 am 

Ill say it once upon a time I was down with the clown.My parents divorced I hated my dad and I was to cool for the mainstream so I was the demographic lol. So the first album I bought was the great milenko by icp. But the first metal like album I bought was the Dethalbum III by Dethklok cause I like the show and it came with a patch.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 pm 

The first album I ever got was the Muppet Movie soundtrack. I still have it. First album I bought with my own money was Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love. Don't have that one anymore. Traded it for a couple copies of Oui magazine.

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:21 am 

My first album was a Schweisser CD. That day felt like Christmas (and it still does whenever the mail comes)! My first so-called "actual" metal was Bethlehem's Dark Metal, because I did a lot of searching for German bands, specifically, so Bethlehem moved me away from the Rammstein/Eisbrecher/Schweisser-types, and more into black metal. It's funny looking back and thinking about how little I understood it, yet how great that ignorance was...

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:52 am 

Riffs wrote:

I was 11 at the time.

At that age, you liked Michael jackson and Michael Jackson liked you back.

Seeing as you were 11 I'd expect Michael Jackson to love you back.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:58 am 

First album I ever got was The Doors' self-titled, if I remember correctly. Not too sure on that, but I know for sure the first metal album I bought was Blind Guardian's Somewhere Far Beyond. Yeah, I forged my musical tastes early on. Both albums are still favorites of mine. Mind you, I'd been pilfering music from my dad's collection for years already, so I kinda inherited a lot of the essentials like Maiden or Dio.

Interesting story scentofdeath! I'm slightly amused that you got into metal through Samael and My Dying Bride, haha.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:17 am 

So hard to remember cause it happened 25-26 years ago... probably was Death SS 'Black Mass' in tape, my first mailorder item from an italian defunct label called Metal Master in Milan.

Nostalgia take me away :cry:

Edit: wrong remembering... it was Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son on tape, buy it in a highway service station back in 1988 when I was 13.

Few years before I become a death metal tapetrader :-P

"You make it easy."

Last edited by The Lions Den on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:21 am 

My first album purchase was Metallica's Master of Puppets when I was 12 I believe.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next