* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:23 pm 

Best:
Steve Asheim
He's great live and his skills seem to be very diverse. He's not just a blastbeat monster.

Worst:
Greg Gall
But then i don't know if you can call him a metal drummer at all.

Paul Mazurkiewicz?
After Rusay and Barnes, he would be definitely the next to go for holding back the band, but i don't think that he's really the worst.

Actually, i don't know a drummer who really sucks. I don't even care enough about Metallica to be able to call Ulrich the worst drummer.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 pm 

The thing about Cannibal Corpse is that the whole band just seems to be blah for me...... I know they're one of the most popular death metal bands on earth, and the first band non-metallers think of when they hear "death metal", but for the life of me, I can't understand why.

The thing that makes their first 3 albums tolerable is Jack Own and Bob Rusay's thrash riffs, plus the Sepultura-like production, but everything else: vocals, drumming, songs, lyrics, etc. are just so utterly bland and generic I have a hard time making it through a listen.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:01 am 

Cesca's not quite as ridiculous with the young gun "I'm a Berklee graduate, god fucking dammit!" mentality as he was back then (he actually got thrown out of Arsis because he kept trying to push Malone out and take control of the band himself, and Malone still refuses to speak to him), but he still overplays a lot. He can rein it in, like he did on the Hideous Deformity full-length, and his normal flashiness worked just fine on that one album he did with Incinerate, but he still needs to cool it with the overplaying.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:03 am 

The drumming in Arsis in general has always bugged me, but Cesca's stuff on We Are the Nightmare was especially aggravating. He doesn't let his instrument breathe at all, and it just becomes exhausting and overwhelming. Even Francesco Paoli knows when to rein it in, but not Cesca.

Also, from a technique standpoint, he has one of the strangest, most uncomfortable looking blast techniques I've ever seen. It's second only to Steve Asheim when it comes to left hands that'll give you carpal tunnel just from looking at it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:30 am 

As far as death metal drummers go:

Best:

-George Kollias (goes without saying)
-John Longstreth (same)
-Pete Sandoval (plenty of people have caught up to and/or surpassed him speed-wise, but no one has managed to convey the sheer sense of violence that he had)
-Mike Heller (every bit as fast and precise as the first two, but no one matches his feel, creativity, and ability to fit the music perfectly)
-Lille Gruber (part of what makes Defeated so interesting is all the clever little twists and turns he makes, which is fitting considering his jazz background)
-David McGraw (again, clever as hell and can sneak in tons of really interesting little accents and nuances that always leave something new to be discovered)
-Doug Anderson (dude honestly feels like Paice or Powell playing death metal, as his general playing style is very reminiscent of a rock drummer's)
-Evgeniy Novikov (incredibly powerful and forceful, but sneaks in tons of awesome little cymbal accents that nicely contrast it)
-Trey Williams (stupid fast but is also one of the grooviest motherfuckers in metal)
-Steve Shalaty (for my money, Steve is one of the best technical drummers in metal period)

Worst:

-Tim Yeung (technically flawless, but so fucking boring and one-dimensional that it doesn't even really matter; the fact that he's an arrogant jackass doesn't help, either)
-Greg Gall (Mazurkiewicz has precision and feel, while Gall is just boring and incredibly sloppy)
-Arttu Malkki (another dude who tried to be Mazurkiewicz, but had none of his feel or ability to match the music and instead sounded like someone drunkenly bashing away at a kit with no real direction)
-Michael Collins (incapable of anything but blasts and gravity blasts, can't play at full speed live, and is hideously sloppy and trigger-reliant even when he is at speeds he can handle)
-Duane Timlin (jesus fucking christ, dude, would it kill you to use a god damn metronome?)

Last edited by Frank Booth on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:38 am 

Well, not knocking Nile's playability, but they showcase perfectly the reason I can't get into a lot of post-1995 death metal......... I can't stand the sound of fucking drum triggers!!!! :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 am 

Frank, where'd you hear that Tim's a douche? I've heard pretty much entirely good things about him.

--

To add another name to the lists, Ken Owen. The parts he came up with both fit the music greatly and were just really well crafted in general. His technique and playing style was incredibly poor though, even by 80s and early 90s standards when a lot of this stuff was still being figured out.

Atropus wrote:
Well, not knocking Nile's playability, but they showcase perfectly the reason I can't get into a lot of post-1995 death metal......... I can't stand the sound of fucking drum triggers!!!! :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

It's less about trigger sounds and more about the general state of modern album productions. Drums are almost never allowed to sound real anymore.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:16 am 

Whatever it is....... buying Sepultura's Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation digipack with the bonus "Anticop" track was a real revelation to me.

How ANYONE can possibly prefer the dull muffled riffing and typewriter drum sound of "Anticop" to the vicious chainsaw guitar tone and primitive snare bashing of "Antichrist" is one of the great mysteries of the universe :nono:

I'd like to hear actual percussion on my metal albums, not "t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t.........."

This, along with pig squeals and "-core" breakdowns, is probably why most "modern metal" is completely off my radar.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:53 am 

I've never heard anyone say anything nice about Yeung. It's always the same thing: dude's an arrogant dick who loves to make it clear just how much better he is than you if you're a drummer. Now, I'm not giving names so as to avoid creating drama down the line, but several well-regarded drummers are among those who think he's an asshole.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:48 am 

Deathwish77 wrote:
absurder21 wrote:
Never had much love for any of Priests early drummers either.

Dave Holland I understand but no love for Les Binks?

Binks was amazing on Stained Class. He sounded so good, great work. Modern triggered drumming just lacks that feel IMO.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:49 pm 

Not liking Cannibal Corpse is ok, I don't like them very much either, but they can't be generic, they are the original template.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:35 pm 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
Not liking Cannibal Corpse is ok, I don't like them very much either, but they can't be generic, they are the original template.

A lot of their early stuff came off as pretty generic to me. I think they really only found their stride when they got George Fisher, and at that point they really started to formulate their own unique sound on albums like Bloodthirst and Kill.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Blackl_Ice1996
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 pm 

My top 3 best (in no order):
Thomas Haake (Meshuggah)
Danny Carey (Tool)
Chris Adler (Lamb of God)

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 am 

I've got a shit memory so i'm not 100% with all the details but i'm pretty sure it was posted in the metal douchebag thread that someone was soundchecking drums at a morbid angel show and Yeung was just sitting at the bar and once this guy started playing, Tim got up and proceeded to play just to out do this guy. Like i said i don't know everything about the story but it made me LOL and i could see it happening for sure. But when you look as awesome as Tim Yeung does you can afford to be a cunt.

Best Drummer - Tomas Haake
Some of the stuff this guy can play...

Worst Drummer - Simon Poole
Holy shit am i glad they got good ol bloody MARK GREENING back on drums in Electric Wizard, i used to watch Poole play on recent live shows after Rutter was gone and fuck is he boring. He just brought NOTHING to the band.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:00 am 

Meh. Chris Adler may do some interesting doublebass things but his topwork is so incredible bland. Just as overrated as Lars Ulrich.

Paul Mazurkiewicz can't compete with guys like Inferno or Derek Roddy but he's extremely tight and his sense of dynamics are great too. No other drummer would fit in Cannibal Corpse. He only gets hate because he naturally gets compared to his peers in Morbid Angel, Nile and Hate Eternal.

Pete Sandoval is one of those drummers that everyone tries to copy, some of which have successfully matched him hit for hit or even surpassed him. But his feel is near-impossible to duplicate. Anyone can play fast with good technique, nobody really cares about that.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 am 

Yeung is a very nice guy, or I had the luck to find him in a good mood. He also is incredibly good. Earlier this year I had the chance to see Kollias and Yeung together playing with MA and Nile using the very same kit (Yeung's). Both sounded excellent, precise, brutal and lively, yet clear enough to understand everything what they were playing. Yeung's bass drum was a bit more clicky and upfront than Kollias' but in all honesty as a (former) drummer, I couldn't decide who was better.

Tim playing Morbid Angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CVjY2e8BZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bsxuKxjDAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHI8RzEWars

He's beating the shit out of the kit and plays the tracks flawlessly, I don't know what people is really complaining about him, besides the bass drum sound.

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:22 pm 

Hmmm you all didn't mention few good guys...
1) Rickard Evensand-very variable drummer who played melodic death (EBONY TEARS, SOILWORK), gothic metal (THERION), hard rock (LION'S SHARE), metalcore (CHIMAIRA, STARDOWN). I'm big fan of his drum kit' sound, very intense and natural.
2) Erik Haggernes-just watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9H9D-qymOo. He has a very musical and inspired style of playing based on unstoppable two-feet work. Check out his work on SULPHUR's "Thorns in Existence" and AETERNUS' "Ascension Of Terror", very variable music!
3) Oskar Karlsson - may be he's not very innovative and progressive as all abovementioned but I love his very solid and "metallic" way of drumming. Recommend you at first legendary "At Dusk And Forever" by GATES OF ISHTAR, very remarkable one! Also he did great job on albums of DUSKFALL, HELLTRAIN and EVERDAWN.
5) Daniel Moilanen - his technicity plus atmosphere made albums of mighty RUNEMAGICK sounds monumentally! Especially "On Funeral Wings".
Seconding Sid Falck - he was great drummer with a very powerful and accurate style.

All other remarkable ones: Orjan "Torquemada" Risan (OBTAINED ENSLAVEMENT), KC Howard (DECREPIT BIRTH), Lee Morris (PARADISE LOST)...

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:43 pm 

Subrick wrote:
To add another name to the lists, Ken Owen. The parts he came up with both fit the music greatly and were just really well crafted in general. His technique and playing style was incredibly poor though, even by 80s and early 90s standards when a lot of this stuff was still being figured out.

So in your world, Ken Owen = bad drummer, Lars Ulrich = good drummer? And what stuff was still being figured out? Are you implying that in the early 90s metal drummers were still working out how to drum?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:51 pm 

Watch Owen throughout this clip, but particularly during the blasting at the start.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:57 pm 

Well, he was playing live AND still trying to figure stuff out AND he's English and thus malnourished, what's the problem?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:21 pm 

Subrick wrote:
His technique and playing style was incredibly poor though, even by 80s and early 90s standards when a lot of this stuff was still being figured out.

Thank god the metal scene has progressed to the point at which drummers can be incredibly tight and boring!

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:21 pm 

The same problem people have with Mazurkiewicz, I have with Pete Sandoval- boring and just not a style that appeals to me. When CC was fun (Eaten Back to Live), Paul's drumming was also more interesting. Once CC became repetitive and uninteresting so did his drumming.

As for good drummers, one that hasn't been mentioned yet and that in a way opened my eyes a third time (the first was Lombardo, then Sean Reinert) is Psycroptic's Dave Haley. Not just technique-wise but he does things that drummers I thought weren't allowed to do. In Ob(Servant) especially, everything is right- the drum sound, the music overall, and his contribution is essential to the album.

The thing is that you can find drummers that are hyper-technical, others that are ultra-fast. But if they're just out there doing their own thing, while guitarists are doing their own thing, then what's the point. What Lombardo, Seinert, and Haley do so well is integrate their drumming perfectly into songs, they aren't there to keep the pace or to impress the crowd, they make percussion downright melodic.

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 pm 

I'm a huge Venom fan, but Abaddon (Anthony Bray) was easily one of, if not the worst metal drummer ever. But as far as I know he isn't active any more so if I go with someone who's still around, yeah I have to say Lars. His performance on the Big 4 DVD is atrocious especially after seeing 3 kick-ass drummers play before him. He was probably overcompensating but the smart thing to do would have been to chill out and try to play tightly.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:23 pm 

hellofallhells wrote:
His performance on the Big 4 DVD is atrocious especially after seeing 3 kick-ass drummers play before him. He was probably overcompensating but the smart thing to do would have been to chill out and try to play tightly.

I take it that someone else was filling in for Shawn Drover that day, then?

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:32 pm 

I thought the Megadeth set was the best/tightest and I'm not a huge fan of theirs. Is he (Drover) not a respected player? I wouldn't know, honestly.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:34 pm 

Is too cliche to say Lars Ulrich is the worst? He's just so generic and has gotten progressively worse since the heydays of his drumming.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:53 pm 

Drover's good enough technique wise, but as a player he bores me to tears. His parts for the new material are bland, and he dumbs down the old material to its most basic form. At least Lars both tries to liven his parts up at times and he acts like he gives a crap.

TimJohns
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:49 pm 

Best: Sean Reinert, Flo Mounier, Tim Alexander, Danny Carey, Hellhammer

Worst: Hannes Grossmann (Ridiculously talented just find his drumming too textbook, robotic and not enough feel). He ruined many Death covers such as when he played Spirit Crusher live. Also, he was outshined by Charlie Zeleny on the Blotted Science. Chris Adler (Generic grooves and pretty flat overall).

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 am 

Dave Holland of Priest not only sucked, he's also a pedophile putting him at the top of the list.

Lars is also quite bad, probably why it takes so long for Metallica to write and record, waiting around for Lars to figure out what rudimentary beats he's going to provide. Lars would be a good drummer in Def Leppard or Diamond Head, but not in Metallica. I'm sure they would have hired Dave Lombardo if it was not for Lars owning the name and investing so much money in the band.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 am 

holy thread necro batman!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:08 am 

Jake Lukic (former Vanishing Point) would be in the category of worst, I think. The album "Tangled in Dream" has so many great melodic/prog power metal songs, but it almost sound like the drumming was improperly placed in the tracks by a fraction of a second most times. It sounds really loose and sloppy.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:12 pm 

chugging_pus wrote:
Dave Holland of Priest not only sucked, he's also a pedophile putting him at the top of the list.

Lars is also quite bad, probably why it takes so long for Metallica to write and record, waiting around for Lars to figure out what rudimentary beats he's going to provide. Lars would be a good drummer in Def Leppard or Diamond Head, but not in Metallica. I'm sure they would have hired Dave Lombardo if it was not for Lars owning the name and investing so much money in the band.

Not the jazz player? But seriously–peadophilia is a mental disorder where adults are sexually attracted to prepubescent children. [Fucking deranged] He was convicted of trying to fuck a 17 great old student, and he's still a better drummer than Lars Ulrich, who fucked, then crushed Hetfield's balls in '86.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 pm 

The only time that I've ever really disliked an album purely because of the drums was on Soulfly's 'Archangel'.

Now the album itself wasn't anything to write home about to begin with but the drumming drove me up the wall.. really weak and bland, it bored me to fucking tears. Talk about getting a free pass because he's Max's son... that shit was weak.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:11 pm 

Best: 1) Bill Ward 2) Gene Hoglan 3) Dave Lombardo

Worst: 1) Lars 2) Any Drum Machine!

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:27 pm 

Someone mentioned Kyle Severn from Incantation, and it just reminds me that Jim Roe on Onward to Golgotha is just a fucking beast. I especially love the drums on that one, as well as everything else.

Dave Lombardo, on Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, and Seasons in the Abyss is just so fucking intense, guy has an amazing sense of groove.

Nick Barker was mentioned, but Cradle of Filth with Nick Barker is just unstoppable.

I'm trying to think of bad drummers..

Perhaps.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:34 am 

I may be repeating what some people have said, but my absolute favorite is Yoshiki from X Japan. Not only is the guy insane with the drums, he also has incredible talent as a pianist and a songwriter, especially when you consider his physical condition (as a child, his doctors didn't expect him to live to see adulthood, and even today he occasionally collapses during concerts and constantly goes in for surgery).

Up until I learned about Yoshiki, my favorite was Francesco Paoli of Fleshgod Apocalypse. Say what you want about how they should have kept with their original style, how there's too much orchestration, how Paoli can't stop raping his bass drum, whatever, but you have to admit that the guy is FAST. I've seen many people attempt drum covers and most of them can't play as well as him. I'm actually kind of sad he's recovering his guitarist role in the band (though I admit, I like his vocals a lot better than Tommaso Riccardi's).

A more recent favorite of mine is Bairoth from Nokturnal Mortum. I recently watched their "Kolovorot" live DVD and I was really impressed at some of the things he pulled off. I don't really have a clip of him being amazing, so the link just leads to one of my favorite Nokturnal Mortum performances.

Lastly, Namtar from Carach Angren. Nothing really special to say, he's just awesome.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:48 am 

Fred Estby (Dismember) is one-sided drummer. He does very much the same 3 fills all over. No imagination, not particularly fast for a death metal drummer.

At the moment I am listening to Carnage's album 'Hallucinatng Anxiety' and it reminded me of Mr. Estby. But hah, he's drumming on this one, too...

And ex-Gorefest man Ed Warby is one of my faves! Now he has the power, imagination, variety for different styles... Simly awesome, almost inhuman if you watch him play something for Arjen Lucassen's projects.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:51 am 

Cato Bekkevold is a largely unsung one: fast, tight as hell, hard hitter and capable of spice the beats up when needed.
All the pros of a good metal drummer and none of the flaws! :)

Patrick Schroeder from Klabautamann/Centaurus-A is simply insane: in the former band has a great ability to switch between patterns effortlessly and fluidly, and in Centaurus-A he simply takes no prisoners: relentless, tight and inventive

Also i second Paul from Vader's Welcome to the Morbid Reich. That album is a lesson in extreme drumming. I don't think i've heard better in the genre

Worst.. is pretty hard to say. I can just point out some cases that annoy me

Like others I'm not a fan at all of the excessively busy drumming on Arsis's WATN, but i guess it's a question of taste

I dislike a lot Erik Lancelot's off time fills on Bergtatt, but they don't destroy the album fortunately :lol:

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:57 am 

Jamie Saint Merat melts my brain with his technical drum wizardry. All the songs on Shrines of Paralysis sound like some crazy epic drum solo all the way through.

jdagger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:11 am 

Who I can think are the best are Lombardo, Hoglan, Proscriptor, Reinert and Asgeir Mickelson

Also going to add Baard Kolstad to the mix. He is drumming with Borknagar and Leprous is incredible.

As for worst probably repeat what others..not a fan of Paul Mazurkiewicz and Greg Gall.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next