Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:07 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Also, bit of a sore subject maybe, but I gotta say Bill Andrews gets entirely too much shit for Leprosy and Spiritual Healing. I had no problem with the drumming on either album, not to mention his work with Massacre is just about flawless.

Seconded, I've never listened to Massacre but I particularly like his drumming on Leprosy and to a lesser extent Spiritual Healing. It's not flashy or even particularly amazing technically but he does a solid job on both albums. Also, his drumwork is still a far more interesting listen than Chris Reifert's on Scream Bloody Gore imo. Although I realise the general consensus probably isn't with me on this one.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:35 am 

^ I've always loved the drumming on Leprosy and Spiritual. I think a lot of that is down to the sound as well though: those drums really slam through the speakers.

He's probably been mentioned before, but my god, Dave Astor (ex-Cattle Decap, Pathology et al) fucking sucks. His blastbeats have always sounded atrocious and, from an outsider's perspective, it seems obvious that he was the only thing holding Cattle Decapitation back. You can hear it on Karma.Bloody.Karma through The Harvest Floor. The band trying to be more ambitious with riffs, time changes and song structures on Karma, but the effort overall being hit and miss because of the lame, one-note drumming, and god, those blast beats! And then Harvest sounding like a band reborn: all that ambition in the guitar, songwriting and vocal departments finally reaching potential, largely because of the new drummer who could actually keep up. And Pathology... lol.

My other rando pick for terrible drummer would be Aad (Kloosterward) (Houwitser, Sinister et al). It's a little thing, really, and i've said it before several times in the distant past, but goddamn if i've ever heard one quick drum fill ruin an entire album in the way that Aad's work on Houwitser's 'Damage Assessment' did. Start listening to that album. Notice the drum fill. Try to finish album.
You'll hear nothing else after a short while. What the F was he thinking?

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 am 

SculptedCold wrote:

My other rando pick for terrible drummer would be Aad (Kloosterward) (Houwitser, Sinister et al). It's a little thing, really, and i've said it before several times in the distant past, but goddamn if i've ever heard one quick drum fill ruin an entire album in the way that Aad's work on Houwitser's 'Damage Assessment' did. Start listening to that album. Notice the drum fill. Try to finish album.
You'll hear nothing else after a short while. What the F was he thinking?

I've never really focused on the drumming for that album, always sounded rhythmically serviceable enough, so just checked it out to see what you're on about.

LOL, yeah, Aad the one fill man. I imagine that must fucken grate for a drummer listening.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 am 

Haven't heard that Houwitzer album, but Aad's performance in Sinister was pretty dreadful too. "Cross the Styx" is indeed a great album but his drumming feels so stiff and stilted, and it takes away from the semi-complex songwriting.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 pm 

Akhenaten's drumming in Judas Iscariot, especially on the earlier records is sloppy as hell. There's some really noticeable mistakes. I love Judas Iscariot, but goddamn there's some bad moments in terms of musicianship. Great riff writer though.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:56 pm 

A severe case of not blasting well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gop-wQItxjA

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11