Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:26 am 

Actually you can only judge a drummer by his live acts. I thought Ulrich is a very good drummer, but then i heard him live. Though, around 1990 it was still acceptable.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:09 pm 

Best:
Dennis The Menace from Macabre, not sure why he hasn't been mentioned as he is one of the tightest drummers in metal especially on Sinister Slaughter where he really gets to show his talent and a really nice dude to boot too.

Worst:
Everyone's shitting on Lars saying he's the worst drummer around, while I agree he is laughable but for the worst drummer, I'd have to put down whoever is the drummer in Body Count needs to just stop drumming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rloidlFbi4w

If the piss poor attempt at 80's thrash drumming wasn't bad enough in that, listen to that drum solo.
That has to be one of the worst moments in drumming in my opinion.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:48 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:

:lol:!

I recognized the starting riff immediately as part of a Vaginal Jesus song, (which I assumed came first), and thought it was a funny coincidence.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx982v ... down_music

About 2 minutes and 10 seconds into the song.

However:

Wikipedia wrote:
The main guitar riff was later sampled in Vaginal Jesus' "Beat Rodney Down" and Anal Cunt's "Lenny's in My Neighborhood".

Never mind.

Psalmanazar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:00 pm 

No mention of Vitek from Decapitated?

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 pm 

Best:

Flo Mounier - A beast behind the kit, his drum work is not only fast and savage, it is also interesting. Instead of blasting all the time (Hate Eternal...;/) he sometimes uses cool, slow, steady beats. Unlike SOME drummers. His fills are incredibly good, he really knows when to use them and how to write awesome drum patterns. Also, the great almighty wood block snare sound and gravity blasts, plus overall organic drums. Delicious.

Inferno - His work may not be as interesting as Flo, but he is awesome nevertheless. Great fills, very fast, very tight.

Worst is Lars and Paul Mazurkiewicz, ditto what people said about them.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:08 am 

Due to a recent thread, I had the, ahem, pleasure of being introduced to Pagan Assault and Anthropophobia. Mr. Vordak is easily one of the sloppiest drummers I've ever suffered to listen to. For a "full time professional" musician, his drumming is weak, ill timed, sloppy, awkward and pathetic, and far below the standard of someone who considers themselves to be a "full time professional" musician.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:00 am 

All the technical sterile shit nowdays.

Am I the only one who consider Lars Ulrich a respectable drummer?

"You make it easy."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:09 am 

Nope. Lars is a good drummer. Anybody that says that he's the worst drummer ever has pretty much zero clue what they're talking about.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:45 am 

Subrick wrote:
Nope. Lars is a good drummer. Anybody that says that he's the worst drummer ever has pretty much zero clue what they're talking about.

Well if he is a good drummer, he most certainly is not an interesting one. On a scale of one to ten snares, what would you rate this drum solo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrsBT_C0bG8

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 am 

A few favourites are Flo Mounier, Mike Smith, Steve Flynn, Richard Christy, Sean Reinert, Lille Gruber... drummers who combine incredible stamina and technical chops with actual creativity.

I don't have too many drummers I blatantly dislike, but one that comes to mind immediately, which I've seen mentioned already, is Paul Mazurkiewicz. He's not at all a bad drummer, but his playing detracts from Cannibal Corpse's music because it's too simple and too monotonous. I really feel he has the technical chops to do better, but he either lacks the creativity, or he simply refuses to do anything interesting with his drumming.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:15 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Well if he is a good drummer, he most certainly is not an interesting one. On a scale of one to ten snares, what would you rate this drum solo?

Unsurprisingly, he has back trouble

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:41 pm 

I always thought Martin Kearns from Bolt Thrower is hideously under rated. While he's not the most technical or innovative, he's an absolute solid drummer and can be really creative on some songs.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:49 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
Jackoroth wrote:

:lol:!

I recognized the starting riff immediately as part of a Vaginal Jesus song, (which I assumed came first), and thought it was a funny coincidence.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx982v ... down_music

About 2 minutes and 10 seconds into the song.

However:

Wikipedia wrote:
The main guitar riff was later sampled in Vaginal Jesus' "Beat Rodney Down" and Anal Cunt's "Lenny's in My Neighborhood".

Never mind.

In the full, uncensored version of that song the drum solo is even longer and funnier.

phantaz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:58 pm 

mike40k wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Proscriptor of Absu yet. That man is a beast behind the kit!

This :D

Psalmanazar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:14 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
I always thought Martin Kearns from Bolt Thrower is hideously under rated. While he's not the most technical or innovative, he's an absolute solid drummer and can be really creative on some songs.

Also early Andy Whale was pretty bad but he became decent by For Victory.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:30 pm 

Capricornus is the best worst drummer of metal.

wrath of poo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 pm 

in my opinion the guy from the death metal band NILE is the best out there right now.

Hebidoku
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 pm 

I'd have to say Tadashi Teramae from Demetori and Flo Mounier are my personal favorites.
I really can't get enough of this stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qcipbkgCw

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:58 am 

Psalmanazar wrote:
No mention of Vitek from Decapitated?

Hell. Yes. His work on Hallucinosis is just, so...

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:16 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I agree, that was pretty dull. Then again, I always liked the jazzy drumming when it comes to solos, Gavin Harrison comes to mind, but he's not a Metal drummer.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:48 am 

katatonia47 wrote:
I agree, that was pretty dull. Then again, I always liked the jazzy drumming when it comes to solos, Gavin Harrison comes to mind, but he's not a Metal drummer.

Still haven't received a snare rating for that performance. I'm starting to get worried.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:58 am 

I'm still waiting for KFD to rebut my post earlier too.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:43 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Still haven't received a snare rating for that performance. I'm starting to get worried.

It's difficult rating drum solos, since no drum solo is worth more than 4/10 snares. That was more audience interaction/halftime entertainment than a drum solo. I give it 2.5 snares.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:28 am 

Opus wrote:
waiguoren wrote:

It's difficult rating drum solos, since no drum solo is worth more than 4/10 snares.

Mind explaining your logic behind that statement?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

oneinfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 pm 

A drummer doesn't have to be super-technical or fast in my opinion, a unique and interesting style is far more important. That's why I like such drummers as Brann Dailor of Mastodon, Simon O'Laoghaire of Primordial, Cornelius Althammer of Ahab or Mikko Siren of Apocalyptica. I also always preferred Inferno of Behemoth to other drummers of similar style such as George Kolias or Derek Roddy. His beats are just far more interesting and groovy, even at extremely fast tempos.

Wrong.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:00 pm 

Subrick wrote:

That's quite a silly statement. Creativity aside, his timing is pretty bad and his hits are rather inconsistent. Those alone already make a bad drummer.

EDIT: Ya early Andy Whale was pretty bad too. Least he shaped up. Also, while Paul from Cannibal pales in comparism to his death metal peers, he's still a very tight drummer nevertheless, and an energetic hard-hitter too.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:17 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Not at all. Compared to other manifestations of art, drum solos are by default uninteresting. There. Satisfied?

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:26 pm 

Opus wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Not at all. Compared to other manifestations of art, drum solos are by default uninteresting. There. Satisfied?

...Compared to other manifestations of art.
Well I'm sold.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:51 pm 

Forgot to mention this before, but as much as I like We Are the Nightmare there is one bit of criticism I agree with. I don't really see the advantage of blasting on a secondary snare drum.

Darren Cesca just put up a video where he plays "Overthrown" and that part around 3:00 just makes me wonder "Why not use the normal snare that served you well through the other 3 minutes 30 seconds of the song?"

But yeah, aside from that minor nitpick, I liked that video even more than the Castlevania one. :)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 pm 

Backbeat blasting is done on the secondary snare and the main one. It's where you blast on the secondary while doing a normal snare hit on the main, alternating between the main and the cymbal. Songs that use do it include The Essential Salts by Nile, The Victorious Reign by Hate Eternal, and Archangel by Ikkadian.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:01 pm 

Cesca has serious chops. WATN wasn't a bad album, a bit over the top and too thin on the production tone in all instruments, but I like the individual performances.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:27 am 

No mention of Nicko McBrain as one of the best? Sure for the most part his stuff is somewhat simple sounding, but it works perfectly. Plus his drumming on Seventh Son was pretty fucking awesome. Infinite Dreams has some of my favorite drumming of all time.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 am 

Francis Marmen of Gorelust was pretty impressive for his age but I haven't heard his playing live or on any recording since 1995, though he is still active.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25 am 

Bill Andrews' drumming on Spiritual Healing is among the worst I've heard in perhaps all of metal-- not because it's off-time, or blatantly unskilled. It's just so painfully uninspired and dull-- entirely unfitting of the more complex direction Chuck was taking the music in at that point. The drumming nearly ruined the album for me, to be honest, it was just so lifeless and lacking in energy.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:40 am 

I always found longtime Overkill drummer Tim Mallare incredibly average and boring. He improved in no visible way during his 12+ years with the group.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:39 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I always found longtime Overkill drummer Tim Mallare incredibly average and boring. He improved in no visible way during his 12+ years with the group.

...Not to mention that his drum sound is so damn obnoxious and clicky a lot of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLZPo2m2Qvs

So awful! I don't how anyone could think that sounds good.

Tekkeitsertok
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:37 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
For me a definite favorite who hasn't been mentioned is Mark Zonder. He's obviously very technically skilled as evident on say Perfect Symmetry, but it's the flavor and character to the way he plays the rhythms that really distinguishes him.

Agreed! I'm not qualified to judge Zonder's technical ability, but he's got a style that's instantly recognizable regardless of who he's playing with. I've always considered him my favorite drummer ever since Warlord's Deliver Us EP was released. I also like Dan Swanö's drumming, especially on Moontower, and I've always loved Kim Ruzz on the first two Mercyful Fate albums.

I don't really have a choice for worst, but I've never been impressed with Manowar's Scott Columbus, finding him rather boring and un-inventive. His style seems to fit the music, though, so I guess it's OK, but I've always preferred Donnie Hamzik's playing on Battle Hymns over anything Columbus did later.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:38 pm 

Psalmanazar wrote:
Also early Andy Whale was pretty bad but he became decent by For Victory.

I'm going to say something that might get me a lot of hate *ducks behind cover*

Andy Whale's drumming absolutely killed Realm of Chaos for me. I mean I love contemporary deathgrind albums of the time, Symphonies of Sickness and World Downfall are beasts of albums but Realm of Chaos I find dull because of his absolutely sloppy drumming. The riffs are there don't get me wrong and the album has it's moments but jesus the drumming is dreadful on that album. Can't remember the drummer who played on Mercenary but him and Martin Kearns are infinitely more skilled than Andy Whale. Even ...for Victory has really uninspired drumming. The fills are essentially all done on the snare. Now in saying that his drumming didn't ruin Warmaster onwards for me because he did little blasting but his blasts were so sloppy on Realm of Chaos. Don't hate the album because of his drumming, it just could have been much better.

Is..is it s..ss.sss..safe to come out of cover yet?

Bassman35
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:18 am 

For the worst, there are many drummers who are unoriginal but talented, and many who are untalented but original. The only ones I can think of that are both are Lars (of course), Mike Sus, and Stevan Larsson.

As for the best- Danny Carey, Nicko McBrain, Billy Rymer, and Mario Duplantier

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:01 pm 

Late coming into this topic......

Best:

Pete Sandoval, Steve Asheim, Nicko McBrain

Worst:

Hendrik Moebus (guy can't even keep a steady kick-snare beat!!!)

Capricornus could go either way. By traditional standards, his technique and timing are bloody horrible, yet he's got this creative personality where he creates some very unusual sounds with his drumming.
Listen to Graveland's Following the Voice of Blood to understand what I'm talking about.....

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next