Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:51 pm 

Never even heard of this band before this thread (I don't think anyway). Checked out their newest album and it's instant love. Are their other albums as good? It looks like they have quite an extensive discog.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:13 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Never even heard of this band before this thread (I don't think anyway). Checked out their newest album and it's instant love. Are their other albums as good? It looks like they have quite an extensive discog.

Their new album is slightly different to their previous work because of the inclusion of their new vocalist, Ksenia Pobuzhanskaya. Their original vocalist has quite a different sound to her voice: higher register, more vibrato, whereas Ksenia has more of a clean, almost sultry air to her vocals. It has been said that the new vocalist has rejuvenated the band and made them sound more alive and renewed. As for the songwriting on the older releases, another forum member could comment with more authority on that but Путь непройденный [The Path We've Never Made] is generally thought of as their best. If you want a smoother transition between their two styles it may be worth listening to Сказки странствий [Tales of Wanderings - the 2013 version, not the 2015 English language re-release] which features both their old and new vocalist. Ksenia doesn't quite as self-assured on it though, she shines much more on their new album. You could also try На крыльях зова [On the Wings of the Call] from 2010, where Ksenia features as a guest vocalist on one of the tracks, and it's generally thought of as the superior of the two albums.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 am 

Currently doing a full discography binge of Alkonost to celebrate their latest album (Октаграмма). I must say, I have not listened to this band in many years, since their earlier period. I am a huge fan of Arkona, and for whatever reason I stopped following the progress of this band over the years despite my love for the style. I gave the new one a listen and have to say I really enjoy the updated sound. On revisiting the older material I also found a new love for it.

Terrific band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2