Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 am 

godsonsafari wrote:
If people are gonna complain about drummers in bands that have made good records, the story begins and ends with Capricornus. No one who's been on a classic record is worse than him.

:lol: Probably not, although his performance on FOllowing the Voice of Blood makes up for pretty much every mistake he's ever made.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:47 am 

Megadeth. I don't mind Dave's playing, or his singing for that matter. He just needs to shut the hell up.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 am 

Lex Dangler wrote:
^ I don't doubt the conviction or the passion of his delivery, but the exceptional music the band plays deserves more power.

I dont' think it's power he lacks; it's melody, simply that. If you are expecting a "standard" melodious metal singer to compliment Cirith Ungol's music as well as Baker does...well, I'm not sure what to say, but I simply can't imagine the band working as well with anybody else. Yeah, he's shrill..like some kind of shrieking hellish bird...love it. :D But, I remember that I didn't always. Maybe you'll come round to liking him more.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 am 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
I tend to prefer my vocalists more... inhuman. Lord Worm, Craig Pillard, Frank Mullen and of course the mighty John Chang. When I hear MVD, all I can think of is some drunk dolt doing karaoke. It makes me both cringe and laugh. If it wasn't obvious, I feel the same way about John Tardy(or as I call him, Hohn Re-Tardy. So clever, I know)

As for MVD spelling, I always get that wrong and never bother trying to fix it.

Curious now...what do you think of his temporary vocal replacement/sometimes backup man/singer in very Asphyx-like band Pentacle, Wannes Gubbels?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q32XMeXLUVo

Better or worse than Martin?

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm 

Lex Dangler wrote:
^ But he was a factor in a set of circumstances replete with failure. If all you can do is play fast with no passion then you might as well finish off your ladyboy surgery and get a job in Thailand.

And when said surgery is done, send her off to visit DeathRiderDoom.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 pm 

Metallica:

I liked James vocals up to the Black Album, and occasionally on later songs. I feel his gritty yells were quite appropriate and punky. His clean singing is not the best, though.
Kirk is a good lead guitarists, but Alex Skolnick (as an example) is much better.
Lars was good on their first 4 albums, but he's lazy and doesn't really try anymore. Plus his cockiness and "wherever there's a camera, I'm in front of it" attitude is annoying.

Megadeth:

Dave's vocals are winey and laughable, especially on earlier records. No power, no real anger comes through, just annoying sneers. I also think his guitar sound was weak. Great riffs and leads ruined by barely distorted and quiet guitars.

Overkill: I never like Blitz's vocals. They are cheezy, and take away from the heaviness of their classic albums.

Dark Angel: same as above. The bands was outstanding, but the vocalist was annoying. Time Does Not Heal (the song) has boring repetitive and unconvincing vocals.

I've heard lots of albums that were hurt by sloppy drumming. As far as guitars go, if they suck, then there really isn't much hope for the band to begin with.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
When it comes to the old Anthrax records, I always thought that Dan Spitz was the weak link. You got Scott Ian shoving crushing riffs up your ass, Frank Bello being all funky and groovie (in a good way), Charlie Benante just wrecking shit behind his kit and Joey Belladonna soaring above the whole mix..... And then comes a boring, uninspired lead that you'll forget ten seconds after it's ending. You could argue that Joey couldn't pull his own weight either, but I DARE YOU to find someone more appropiate for Anthrax's early style.

Wow! Really? For me, Danny's solos were the best part of many older Anthrax songs. I can hum almost everyone and technically he was very proficient. I watched Rob Caggiano on Youtube recently botching the Caught In A Mosh solo and all I could think about was sorely I miss Danny in Anthrax.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
Rocka_Rollas wrote:
That thing about Lars lack of creativity? Scott Columbus and that drummer in AC/DC are definitions of lack of creativity.

No. No. No. No. No. No.

You can not compare the drummer from AC/DC to a thrash drummer at all. What the fuck is wrong with you? If anything Metallica is the AC/DC of thrash, and the quality of drummer is reflected accordingly.

Okay but Scott Columbus then?

I mean people talking about Lars as unimaginitive and "could be replaced by a metronome"... The only one Scott Columbus could be outmetronomed by is Angelo Sasso

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
Overkill: I never like Blitz's vocals. They are cheezy, and take away from the heaviness of their classic albums.

I'll try to refrain from going crazy again and as such will reduce my post to one question; does this sound cheesy to you? Or this, for that matter?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm 

death234 wrote:
I totally agree. Ozzy was the perfect fit for what they were doing at the time and an unconventional singer is exactly what Metal needed for the founding band of Metal. Without an unconventional singer it may not have been as easy for people like Rob Halford not long after and then later people like Chuck Shuldiner to get into the music industry. He helped break the mold and usher in a new genre of music that would eventually take many creative forms.

While I agree that Ozzy fit their sound well at the time, I'm just not sure he was all that instrumental or influential to metal as a whole. Sure, today a lot of guys deliberately try to sing like Ozzy, but that's more because they want to sound as close to early Sabbath as possible (usually) rather than making any definitive statement about their metalness. I think Rob Halford was probably a lot more influenced by guys like David Byron of Uriah Heap and Glen Hughes, who was in Trapeze at the time and sounded a lot like Halford actually...

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:43 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I think Rob Halford was probably a lot more influenced by guys like David Byron of Uriah Heap and Glen Hughes, who was in Trapeze at the time and sounded a lot like Halford actually...

And Ian Gillan. Don't forget Gillan.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:04 pm 

Oh yeah, him too..I did forget him. :P

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:06 pm 

Arthur Brown, too, perhaps? He seems to be one of the earlier crazed screamers out there.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:16 pm 

Yeah, that's probably right, too. Or, and I know we're getting off-topic here, but who cares..maybe someone like CHris Farlowe, too. THe man had an incredible set of pipes. Just listen to this performance from 1971:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiyIjr9pbTg

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:06 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

I'll try to refrain from going crazy again and as such will reduce my post to one question; does this sound cheesy to you? Or this, for that matter?

I don't even get it; what does Dark_Gnat want his thrash vocalists to sound like if he thinks Blitz sounds cheesy? :???: I'm honestly curious.

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 pm 

Jason Peppiatt of Psycroptic. Completely horrible vocals which don't really have a place in the band's sound and that's the reason why I'll always dislike Jason era Psycroptic, it doesn't even have to be Chalky to bring the good days back, just anyone with good enough growls and not some weak hardcore shouts.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:
I don't even get it; what does Dark_Gnat want his thrash vocalists to sound like if he thinks Blitz sounds cheesy? :???: I'm honestly curious.

Blitz has the perfect voice for thrash metal. Psychotic, punky and caustic. I don't see what's wrong with him, either.

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:15 pm 

Lacuna Coil - the male dude..

it's not so bad when just listening to the albums but live it's like "what's the point of this guy's act?"
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:51 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Lex Dangler wrote:
^ I don't doubt the conviction or the passion of his delivery, but the exceptional music the band plays deserves more power.

I dont' think it's power he lacks; it's melody, simply that. If you are expecting a "standard" melodious metal singer to compliment Cirith Ungol's music as well as Baker does...well, I'm not sure what to say, but I simply can't imagine the band working as well with anybody else. Yeah, he's shrill..like some kind of shrieking hellish bird...love it. :D But, I remember that I didn't always. Maybe you'll come round to liking him more.

If I was looking for "standard" or "melody" I wouldn't listen to metal or David Lee Roth, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, or even Bruce Springsteen at times. I listen to Cirith Ungol in spite of Baker. I am glad you like the sounds of a "shrieking hellish bird" getting squeezed to death in the hands of an infant.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm 

Empyreal, Xlxlx - I stand by my dislike for Bobby Blitz' vocals. He is especially annoying when he hits higher notes. He sounds like a cartoon character. Everything else about Overkill is awesome, but as soon as he opens his mouth I giggle. I just can't help it.

I prefer this style of thrash vocals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLp-JgswVb4

And as far as punk-style vocals go, I like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4NaPa3cYf8

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:18 pm 

Tom Angelripper is decent, but Overkill isn't extreme enough for harsh vocals, and at any rate Angelripper doesn't have one tenth of Blitz's charisma and energy. Not to mention that the mood Sodom tries to convey and the mood Overkill tries to convey are extremely different and swapping vocalists would be putting a square peg in a round hole.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:21 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
Empyreal, Xlxlx - I stand by my dislike for Bobby Blitz' vocals. He is especially annoying when he hits higher notes. He sounds like a cartoon character. Everything else about Overkill is awesome, but as soon as he opens his mouth I giggle. I just can't help it.

Well, fair enough, but to me that's why Overkill is awesome. They're not supposed to be super menacing, serious stuff most of the time. Just awesome, balls-out thrash.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 pm 

Nothing wrong with liking Bobby, btw. I just have more aggressive preferences. :)

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 am 

Overkill would sound dumb with a harsh vocalist. They're not a monstrously evil band. Even at their most menacing they call to mind drunken, belligerent street punks rather than Satan. If you use extreme vocals, you need extreme music, or it doesn't work at all. This is part of the reason why I can't stand Gothenburg melodic "death" metal--most of these bands would be better off just firing their harsh vocalists and playing power metal, since their music isn't far from power metal to begin with (and many power metal bands actually exceed most Gothenburg bands in intensity, especially since they tend to play much faster).

I can't imagine Tom Angelripper singing "Drunken Wisdom" or "Fuck You". It would be a total disaster.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

taumpytears
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:42 am 

Scrafty wrote:
To be honest, I think Slipknot could put out some pretty good albums if they dropped Corey and the extra "drummers." Their latest album was a great step in the direction of some pretty solid groove metal (with a little metalcore). Mick Thompson is definitely a decent guitarist (by no means untalented), and I think if they got a proper harsh vocalist, they could go in a good groovey death metal direction. While Joey Jordison is also completely overhyped by the "mallcore" community, he's also definitely a good drummer and wouldn't have a problem, I imagine, with more complex drum patterns and the like.

have you heard Mate Feed Kill Repeat? It basically IS groovy death metal. also I think the guitarist on that album who left before their s/t is a thousand times more talented than Mick. at least I assume he's the one playing the interesting parts on MFKR, since it would explain the band's regression afterwards.

Sigh's drummer on Imaginary Sonicscape is terrible. disco beats on every song?
Ozzy's voice is very annoying & doesn't fit the doom metal aesthetic at all. especially on that terrible piano ballad which I believe was on Vol. 4?

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:49 am 

Thank God, no one has mentioned James LaBrie (until now that is, :lol:)
He gets a lot of shit yet I feel his voice works perfectly for Dream Theater's music!

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:50 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

Well, fair enough, but to me that's why Overkill is awesome. They're not supposed to be super menacing, serious stuff most of the time. Just awesome, balls-out thrash.

Blitz sounds exactly like a pack of smokes without filters, a bottle of bourbon, gun powder, and the taste of sexy white trash pussy on your lips. He's perfect for Overkill and he's got great stage presence.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:52 am 

:lol:

Scrafty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 am 

taumpytears wrote:
Scrafty wrote:
To be honest, I think Slipknot could put out some pretty good albums if they dropped Corey and the extra "drummers." Their latest album was a great step in the direction of some pretty solid groove metal (with a little metalcore). Mick Thompson is definitely a decent guitarist (by no means untalented), and I think if they got a proper harsh vocalist, they could go in a good groovey death metal direction. While Joey Jordison is also completely overhyped by the "mallcore" community, he's also definitely a good drummer and wouldn't have a problem, I imagine, with more complex drum patterns and the like.

have you heard Mate Feed Kill Repeat? It basically IS groovy death metal. also I think the guitarist on that album who left before their s/t is a thousand times more talented than Mick. at least I assume he's the one playing the interesting parts on MFKR, since it would explain the band's regression afterwards.

Haha, I'm a huge Slipknot junkie, man, definitely heard that one. :P To be honest, would've been best if they'd stuck with Anders over Corey (especially the reason they hired Corey in the first place was 'cause he had a more mainstream-appealing voice), 'cause all the nu-metal stuff started when Corey joined. Nevermore will we see the great groovy funky blend of death metal that Slipknot once played... :(

I make electronic music.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:53 am 

truvelocity wrote:
Thank God, no one has mentioned James LaBrie (until now that is, :lol:)
He gets a lot of shit yet I feel his voice works perfectly for Dream Theater's music!

I was going to mention him. I think Petrucci's total lack of talent in the riff-writing department brings a talented band down, too. He can solo his ass off, but he can't write a riff to save his solo. Especially on the newer albums. Tons of chunky, low-tuned fucking weinercore madness.

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:14 am 

Really?
Petrucci has written some really great riffs in the past;
Pull Me Under, Caught In A Web, The Mirror, Peruvian Skies, Home, The Test That Stumped Them All, As I Am, In The Name Of God, Panic Attack and Constant Motion all boast good metal riffs albeit in a cleaner modern Thrash vein.

With other songs like A Rite Of Passage and Lines In The Sand he incorporates his playing into the keyboard's melodic nature to create riffs that are ethereal and Prog rock throwbacks.

Besides, he pioneered that chugga chugga Prog metal riff style that a lot of bands later emulated.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 am 

Lex Dangler wrote:
Blitz sounds exactly like a pack of smokes without filters, a bottle of bourbon, gun powder, and the taste of sexy white trash pussy on your lips.

Best description of Blitz's voice I've ever read :lol: :thumbsup:

But yeah Dark_Gnat, nothing against you for not liking Blitz, although if you're gonna say that a thrash singer sounds like a cartoon character, then go for Joey Belladonna's throat. No problem with the man, but when he was younger he sounded fit for voicing Saturday morning specials.

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:18 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
Metallica:

Kirk is a good lead guitarists, but Alex Skolnick (as an example) is much better.

hes pretty awful actually
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546KjKMB9kw

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:21 pm 

I doubt anyone here's ever heard of them, but Divine Era might be a decent band if they got rid of their fuckawful singer...

David_G
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:37 pm 

I just can't enjoy Exodus's Bonded By Blood because of the vocalist..

BloodUponTheStage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:05 pm 

David_G wrote:
I just can't enjoy Exodus's Bonded By Blood because of the vocalist..

I suggest a q-tip to you then.

For me James kills Metallica after Ride the Lightning. MOP and Justice are ok but his vocals just dont have the aggression like the first two.
Also, Lars may be a whining twat, but from what I understand hes the only member that actually still listens to metal. ahahaha

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:16 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Lex Dangler wrote:
Blitz sounds exactly like a pack of smokes without filters, a bottle of bourbon, gun powder, and the taste of sexy white trash pussy on your lips.

Best description of Blitz's voice I've ever read :lol: :thumbsup:

But yeah Dark_Gnat, nothing against you for not liking Blitz, although if you're gonna say that a thrash singer sounds like a cartoon character, then go for Joey Belladonna's throat. No problem with the man, but when he was younger he sounded fit for voicing Saturday morning specials.

Thanks, man. I agree on Belladonna. When I first heard him in the 80's on Spreading the Disease it took a while for me to enjoy his style, but it fits the overall theme and lyrical concept of the band. This is even more evident when they went to Bush and became a half assed grunge/thrash band.

DisciplineOfRevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:29 pm 

i like job for a cowboy's music but jonny davy's vocals kinda ruin it for me, mainly his high pitched screams. they annoy the hell out of me.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:47 pm 

I wrote:

Lex Dangler wrote:
I agree on Belladonna. When I first heard him in the 80's on Spreading the Disease it took a while for me to enjoy his style, but it fits the overall theme and lyrical concept of the band. This is even more evident when they went to Bush and became a half assed grunge/thrash band.

What's worse is that Bush is perfect for a thrash band, as he's got a relatively melodic voice while retaining tons of energy and power. Anthrax picked him up at the worst moment; when they stopped playing actual thrash.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:52 pm 

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater wrote:
Really?
Petrucci has written some really great riffs in the past;
Pull Me Under, Caught In A Web, The Mirror, Peruvian Skies, Home, The Test That Stumped Them All, As I Am, In The Name Of God, Panic Attack and Constant Motion all boast good metal riffs albeit in a cleaner modern Thrash vein.

With other songs like A Rite Of Passage and Lines In The Sand he incorporates his playing into the keyboard's melodic nature to create riffs that are ethereal and Prog rock throwbacks.

Besides, he pioneered that chugga chugga Prog metal riff style that a lot of bands later emulated.

I'll give you the first three, but the rest aren't very impressive and many of them are knockoffs of other bands' riffs (compare "Peruvian Skies" to "Enter Sandman"). The "ethereal" bits (which are textural chords, not riffs) are uniformly terrible, and they're starting to sound increasingly alike.

The "chugga chugga prog riff style" is no great achievement either--it's a cop-out for when you either are unable or unwilling to write properly flowing riffs to fit odd time signatures, so you take the much easier route of just laying down some syncopated chords. It's part of the reason why I have no respect for djent bands, no matter how many polyrhythms they may employ. It's lazy songwriting.

John Petrucci ran out of riffs in the mid-1990s, and he's never recovered. If you want to hear his peak as a musician, listen to When Dream and Day Unite. Every song on that album (except "Status Seeker") has great prog/power riffs that still sound fresh today. Dream Theater didn't need a new drummer, they needed a rhythm guitarist. Too bad they'll almost certainly never get one.

You know, I never would have dreamed of saying this three years ago, but OlympicSharpshooter was right about them.

EDIT: For the best Dream Theater riffs of all, listen to "The Killing Hand". That song is pure genius.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next