Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BURlAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:27 am 

VENOM INC., the new band featuring original VENOM members Jeff "Mantas" Dunn (guitar) and Anthony "Abaddon" Bray (drums) alongside ex-VENOM bassist/vocalist Tony "Demolition Man" Dolan, will release its debut album, titled "Avé", on August 11 via Nuclear Blast.
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/venom- ... rXTQf9c.99

Youtube: show

Im excited to hear it, but I wish they would use an original name.....how long can they last using the Venom name/logo?

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:31 am 

Sweet baby Satan! It's almost here at last...

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:46 am 

Good news, though on first listen I'm not liking that single. I love the three albums with Demolition Man which I prefer to all the others from At War With Satan onward (though obviously they aren't classics like the first two). Let's hope this turns out better than that song suggests.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:47 am 

I'll have to revisit the "Demolition Man" Venom albums because I don't really remember anything from them. I found them used when I bought them. The new track was pretty good. I agree that they should move on from "Venom Inc" and just become their own band, but this seems to be working out for them compared to say that whole Ratt fiasco...lol.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 pm 

Hmmm...not that crazy about this single. Though having said that I still eagerly await the new album anyway. I get the feeling this is one of those albums that will be better than the single lets on.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:14 pm 

Terrible song

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:19 pm 

Modern, weak, bad. Worse than the new Dezperadoz track, better than the new Danzig.

Weak video too. Don't bother watching the whole thing in the hopes of some actual nudity. I already did. Rammstein would be disappointed.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:52 pm 

I got interested in them after seeing them live a few months ago. The trio was a fucking beast live. I have never seen a band command more respect from the audience without even trying, except maybe Iron Maiden. I also prefer Demolition Man's vocals, they are really gritty and helps making the Venom songs brutal.

Oh yeah, that new song was pretty boring though :P

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:20 pm 

Y'all crazy, that was awesome. Wasn't crazy about their MPIRE OF EVIL stuff but clearly there was room for improvement.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:21 pm 

great vocals but the song is kinda lame. Weird industrialish vibe though.

blackmantram
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:38 pm 

Honestly It's not entirely bad, it is well executed, nicely produced and vocals are good but it sounds so damn generic, it doesn't stands out at all, I could swear I have listened to that same riff/rythm combination a hundred times before. Also, the band name "venom inc" sounds super lazy and makes me think of a watered down version of the original one or just a mere cash grab.
I really don't see anything here to be excited about.

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:05 am 

holy fuck, i didn't expect it to be THAT bad. i'm hoping that garbage song was just phoned in to appease Nuclear Blast executives in promotion of the album, but my expectations for this album just broke through the bottom of the shit barrel

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:57 am 

Yeah that was not what I was expecting.... right now not impressed. I don't think it is terrible but it's not worthy of the legacy.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:21 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I'll have to revisit the "Demolition Man" Venom albums because I don't really remember anything from them. I found them used when I bought them.

Prime Evil is the most accessible and the closest to the signature Venom sound (it's also the only one to be reissued and therefore isn't too expensive)."Blackened Are the Priests" will convince the skeptical and crush the skulls of the unworthy.

"Dein Fleisch" sounds better on second listen, though I hope the industrial touches are a one-off thing. Also, here's the album cover which will delight fans of the color brown:

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:13 pm 

Quote:
Also, here's the album cover which will delight fans of the color brown:

Lol'd.

Crap comes to mind in more ways than one.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:57 pm 

Y'all motherfuckers are crazy, that song kicked ass. Energetic, catchy, and a badass riff in the chorus, and sometimes that's really all you need to have a fun song.
Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic/Doom/Black Metal

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:51 pm 

It's probably fine live, the kind of simple, gnarly metal that fits a crazy mosh battle covered with spilled beer. But it's not the kind of good that is enjoyable for listening to at your desk while sipping diet sprite, ya know? "Black Metal" is the kind of good that fits both scenarios.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:18 pm 

I'm going to pick this up. I revisited the Demolition Man era albums and they're pretty good. Much better than I remembered they were which could be why I haven't listened to them hardly at all. Pre-orders are available on Amazon so I'll give it a whirl. Worse case scenario, I'll just put it in the back of the collection if it sucks.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:23 pm 

looks like we have opinions all over. i personally couldn't get through the song up top, not sure what they are going for.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:48 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
Also, here's the album cover which will delight fans of the color brown:

Lol'd.

Crap comes to mind in more ways than one.

I can´t listen to the song right now but this album cover sucks. No problems with the tone/color, its the weird picture which I don´t like.

There were great on the stage but to make new stuff is something completely different.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I'm going to pick this up. I revisited the Demolition Man era albums and they're pretty good. Much better than I remembered they were which could be why I haven't listened to them hardly at all. Pre-orders are available on Amazon so I'll give it a whirl. Worse case scenario, I'll just put it in the back of the collection if it sucks.

I recommend everyone who's a fan of classic Venom, go back and (re)listen to the three Demolition Man era albums. They're all on YouTube and the Prime Evil reissue is cheap. Though I'll wait for some more singles to drop before I commit to buying the new one. The first song suggests it could be quite different musically.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:48 pm 

sick Coal Chamber song bro

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:52 pm 

I've only listened to that single a few times and I can't get it out of my head! It's so catchy, and even though it's not what I was expecting, I dig it. They have already said they're not going to try and remake Black Metal or even any of the albums with Demolition Man as the vocalist. They are doing what feels right to them right now and I respect that. It would feel unnatural if they created something similar to songs that were written thirty years ago.

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:40 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
I've only listened to that single a few times and I can't get it out of my head! It's so catchy, and even though it's not what I was expecting, I dig it. They have already said they're not going to try and remake Black Metal or even any of the albums with Demolition Man as the vocalist. They are doing what feels right to them right now and I respect that. It would feel unnatural if they created something similar to songs that were written thirty years ago.

that's all well and good, but i demand speed metal of the old school variety or nothing at all! seriously, if i went to a Venom inc. show and they played this tune i would either go out for a smoke or to the restroom to take a piss.

blackmantram
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:32 pm 

Catchy does not necessarily means good, that's what most garbage music is based on anyway. I hate it when bad songs get stuck to my head just because they are awfully catchy and easy listening, I could keep humming them in my head for hours, specially when I'm doing some repetitive task, but it would be annoying as fuck.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 am 

That was a very weird track mates. Not what I was expecting from them.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:07 am 

I can understand peoples' frustration with the song but I really don't think it's bad even though it's not what I would've expected, being that the whole premise of Venom Inc. seems to be a return to the 'classic era' of the band (when I saw them, they played more songs off the first two albums than anything). I'm still waiting to hear the song in the context of the album, because there is still hope that there will be some old-school sounding tunes on there and that the whole album won't sound like this one song. A quick look at the track-list gives me hope:

01. Ave Satanas
02. Forged In Hell
03. Metal We Bleed
04. Dein Fleisch
05. Blood Stained
06. Time To Die
07. The Evil Dead
08. Preacher Man
09. War
10. I Kneel To No God
11. Black N Roll

The fact that there's a song called 'Black N Roll' is partly what gives me hope. Another interesting aspect of 'Dein Fleisch' is that it is not too far off from something that Cronos and his crew would have written on the album Hell for instance, because that album did have quite a bit of groove/heavy metal songs on it.

It seems to me that a lot of people are expecting Venom Inc. to "out Venom" Venom, but I don't think that's their goal here. It should also be noted that this band started completely on a whim, with the members doing an impromptu set at a festival with little to no rehearsal together beforehand. I am expecting some classic-sounding material on this album, but we have already seen through the single that the whole album will not be that way, and personally, I'm fine with that as long as they're staying true to what they want to do with this album.

Reply to topic