Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jackoroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:57 am 

I hear a heap of bad shit by them, especially having a massive hold on Acid Bath and their releases, also a band from near me called Damaged who tried to reform but couldn't because the label had the sole rights to their name, a band who isn't exactly huge even here in Melbourne.

What are your thoughts on them?

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:35 pm 

Vampire Mooose is still with them I believe. They're like a weird death/groove hybrid with a sense of humor. I can't think of many other bands on their roster besides Vampire Mooose and Acid Bath.

MRmehman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:58 am 

Oh, a story on a record label trying to sue a user for downloading their music. This must be from the 90's or something. I doubt any label is dumb enough in this day and age to- Oh, no - this happened in 2015.

From what you've described there and the nuggets of information I scanned through, they sound like a pretty shitty label to work under.

FatTheGates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:17 am 

I dealt with Ron (the owner) a number of times over the years and course of business. And it wasn't a particularly enjoyable experience. He was always stubborn and set in the '80s in a lot of ways.

Damaged were a really good band, especially the debut. For the label to come along 6 years after they broke up and try to get rights to whatever they were doing is just lame. It's not like the band sold more than a couple thousand copies anyway.

Everflowingstream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:44 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
I hear a heap of bad shit by them, especially having a massive hold on Acid Bath and their releases, also a band from near me called Damaged who tried to reform but couldn't because the label had the sole rights to their name, a band who isn't exactly huge even here in Melbourne.

What are your thoughts on them?

FWIW Damaged were pretty big in Melbourne mid 90s. I bought their demo at Smoke Dreams in Flinders Street back in 92. Showing my age now, haha.

Reply to topic