Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:36 pm 

http://thequietus.com/articles/24395-ro ... st-georgia

? :(

Spoiler: show
Rotting Christ have been arrested in the Eastern European state of Georgia on a terrorism charge, allegedly related to the band's name.

Frontman Sakis Tolis explained in a statement that he and his brother, drummer Themis Tolis, were stopped by police as they tried to exit the airport on their arrival on Thursday April 12.

He said: "We had our passports and mobile phones taken away and were lead [sic] into a prison cell. When we were demanding to be told the reason for this arrest, we were simply told this information would be 'confidential'. Our lawyers informed us later that we are on a list of unwanted persons of national security that branded us as Satanists and therefore suspects of terrorism."

Following this, Tolis claims he and his brother were kept in a 'small and rather dirty' cell where 'conditions were bad' without contact with their lawyers or the Greek embassy for 12 hours, and that no further information was given to them.

The band were eventually released following negotiations. As Tolis explained: "Luckily, only the names 'Tolis' were on the list and the other two band members started to work with the local promoter to extract us from prison and commence legal procedures. It took strong efforts and a complicated procedure to find a solution.

"Due to the hard work of the local promoter, who involved legal experts, journalists, and activists in Georgia, we were finally released. We are extremely grateful to everybody involved in this process. In the end, we were even able to perform our show and it turned out to be a fantastic night. We would also like to thank all our Georgian metal brothers for their overwhelming support!"

The band were allowed to depart Georgia to continue their tour in Armenia the following day. They are playing in support of a new career-spanning compilation, Their Greatest Spells

Niklas Sanger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:06 am 

Rot on, Christ.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:22 am 

They've really had to suffer with that name. Nice that they haven't changed it. Waiting for the Impaled Nazarene Georgian tour.
To this storm called rock and roll!!!

ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:20 am 

Some of these places have the potential to throw you in a dark dank cell for gods knows how long, but thankfully they are OK.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 am 

You have to be careful when you venture to other countries. I nearly landed myself in hot water on a recent trip to SEA, just for sleeping in a village that I shouldn't have. Could have been fined thousands for virtually no good reason, but anyway, glad to see that these guys can continue doing what they do. RC is an amazing band.

tahu157
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
just for sleeping in a village that I shouldn't have.

What sort of sleeping are we talking about here? Like, renting a room/staying in someone's house or like sleeping on a bench or something?

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:34 am 

Blasphemy is illegal in a shocking amount of countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law

Quote:
In Finland, section 10 of chapter 17 of the Criminal Code relate to blasphemy. The section is titled "Breach of the sanctity of religion", but the law text explicitly mentions "publicly blaspheming against God"

Somehow I get the feeling they don't enforce this...

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:24 pm 

I'd love to see the Georgian government explain the relationship between Satanism and terrorism, and then answer further questions how this applies to other religions - to any religion.
Just listened to Thy mighty contract on my way back home after work (by coincidence) and thought once more how I wished there were more moments like the opening riff to "Exiled archangels".

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:44 pm 

The ties of Islam and terrorism are, ironically, stronger than the ties of Satanism and terrorism. Heck, even Christianity doesn't exactly have a perfect record in that department. I probably shouldn't get into that but, I think the bigger issue here is countries with repressive governments cracking down on freedom of expression; and therefore (ex) soviet Georgia is now one other place I would cross off my "places to visit" list.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 pm 

I suggest changing the title of this thread to "Rotting Christ Arrested on Blasphemy Charges". For a second there I thought these guys blew up some people or something.

And yeah, this is complete bullshit. Blasphemy laws are archaic nonsense that have no place in the modern world.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:05 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:
just for sleeping in a village that I shouldn't have.

What sort of sleeping are we talking about here? Like, renting a room/staying in someone's house or like sleeping on a bench or something?

For renting a room in someones house. I'm not native to the country so I wasn't allowed to stay there apparently, good thing I was only there for a couple of days or I could have wound up in a cell with a 3-$4000 dollar fine, and I only had petty cash on me at the time. As I said, gotta be careful when you step outside your house.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:21 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

For renting a room in someones house. I'm not native to the country so I wasn't allowed to stay there apparently, good thing I was only there for a couple of days or I could have wound up in a cell with a 3-$4000 dollar fine, and I only had petty cash on me at the time. As I said, gotta be careful when you step outside your house.

Sounds like a load of horseshit, local cops probably just looking to extort some $$$ from a foreigner.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:35 am 

schizoid wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

Sounds like a load of horseshit, local cops probably just looking to extort some $$$ from a foreigner.

You're exactly right man. Over in that neck of the woods if your skin is white, they think you literally shit money. Needless to say I won't be heading there again anytime soon.

Reply to topic