* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 pm 

@dystopia4
Spoiler: show
Sorry, my work blocks certain sites, so can't listen to that song. Regarding In Vain, if you aren't a fan of those clean vocals....and I can see why as they are the downside for me to, alot of their songs off their new album don't have as much or any compared with the song I gave you. Take a listen to another if you wish to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNVoXM-or4E

my last.fm

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:18 am 

Antropomorphia - Chunks of Meat

Old school death metal from The Netherlands right here. The song does everything right as regards OSDM. The vocals are very reminiscent of Morbid Angel and Bolt Thrower and there's riffs galore and a mean breakdown. The drumming is well controlled and classy and the leads are chaotic yet noticeable. And you can actually hear what the fucking bass is saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOMyzFhpF4

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:53 pm 

Hallows Eve- Plunging Into Megadeath

I don't know what it is about this song, but despite its quick thrashy pace it's utterly torpor-inducing. I think a part of it is the production, which drowns out the riffs in bland-as-hell vocals. But even when the same line isn't barked out over and over, the riffage leaves something to be desired. It's not bad, but there's really only one riff and it's hardly memorable and commanding. The real low point of the album is somewhere in the middle of the song, where the singer decides to showcase that he can actually sing rather than sorta speak/bark the vocals. The whole part with the mid-paced percussion and the occasional howl just sounds forced and completely ruins whatever sense of cohesiveness the song had. If you're gonna do a fast thrash song, do a fast thrash song. Showcase your singing on another track. The soloing isn't too bad and honestly the track would be alright if it wasn't 4 minutes, when they've clearly got 2 minutes of material to put into a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-iOwQpnbLQ

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:34 pm 

Arkham Witch- Viking Pirates of Doom(On Crom's Mountatin)

I'm sorry... I just... ugh

Truth be told, this really isn't my style, and I assume the lyrics and such are not meant to be taken seriously and supposed to be more "fun and metal, drink beer" type stuff, and I can appreciate that. But it just doesn't appeal to me in any way. It just sounds terribly generic and kind of lame, though I love the sound they got on the guitar recording: very heavy, very loud. But I really can't get past the lyrics... this seems like something that a parody of a Metal band would play in like a Spinal Tap esque movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aplGBhfxlO8

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am 

Vassafor - Makutu (Condemned To Deepest Depths)

did not know what to expect from this as I am unfamiliar with the band name....the intro is dark with murky guitar tone, kind of doomy with nice crushing riffs but with BM vocals present in the background. But then at 1:15 the drums kick into overdrive with the tempo picking up. The riffs however, seem to stay at the same paced as before so the doom aspect is ever present. The vocals stay in the background of the mix but do a good job of adding to the atmosphere of the song. I do find the second half of the song meanders a little bit with no real direction. However, this style has me intrigued enough to check out the rest of the album

7.5/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ksiYPr21Wc

my last.fm

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:15 pm 

Anata-Shackled to guilt

6/10

The main issue with these technical bands is the fact the production is bone-dry, luckily I enjoy Anata to a certain extent as their music isn't as atrociously noodly as other bands. The intro riff immediately suffers from the horrendous dry production, and even after a series of tempo changes and into the blasting portions sounds like something on a modern The Faceless album. The drumming is focuses heavily on changing blast patterns and fast double bass fills, the main riff unfortunately doesn't really stick with me on top of the compounding of the dry production. Relistening to it it seems really just silly and kind of bouncy almost, this is more or less just a filler track from a band that can do much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J15ru5bZSp4

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 pm 

Amulance - Black Moon Rising

Kind of apathetic to this. It's alright, but not really anything special. I guess it is thrashy power metal with speed influences. It complies very heavily with the norms of more traditional heavy metal and is somewhat successful at creating something good within it's formula. I didn't find the songwriting all that memorable, but the guitar work was pretty decent and the lead guitar was great. The bass was a bit too high in the mix and had very poor tone. I don't feel the vocalist is all that good when he approaches extremely high pitched territory. In all, not bad at all, but nothing I'd revisit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vF8Ualsw1A

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:52 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Rote Mare - Slow Decay

Slow indeed... but of course it's slow - it's doom. Not sure what to think of this really. On the one hand it has a deliciously patented doom guitar tone, nice, thick and heavy, with chord/lead work invoking some My Dying Bride elements in the dual harmonies within the first section. After that though, it takes a complete U-turn back into fuzzy Sabbathy dirges. I can imagine working with slow tempos being an issue when it comes to song writing, in order to keep things interesting, and more importantly, sustaining momentum, which this mostly achieves. It is a trifle stagnant at times and struggles to maintain attention (from me anyhow), with it's lumbering nature. I do give them a tick of approval for the vocals though, they are... okay, and suit their sound I guess, with a desperate wail, crying out at the horror of ummm slow decay. Overall, this wasn't a total stinker, and probably could have done with a couple of minutes ending up on the editing floor, but it was about average.

My go.

My collection

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:01 pm 

Ascension - Grant me Light

A ton of fuzz from the distorted guitars and a lot of ambient passages with the addition of a piano give off a fairly cold and bleak ambient atmosphere. The vocals for this style are fairly typical depressed sounding wails with a lot of echo. There is quite a lot of variance in here surprisingly with the addition of some chaotic solos and power chords and it doesn't feel disjointed. It certainly doesn't feel like it is almost 7minutes in length which is impressive. Not my style anymore but I'm sure about 8 or 9 years ago I would really have dug this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuV3fQAPI2Y

draterami
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:14 pm 

Dark Age - Viper

Big start. The high pitched screams have fantastic power and set a great mood. However, I think the main riff is lacking a little bit of energy. It would have been great if it was driving forward a bit more. The singer has some roughness to his singing voice which I really like, and he does some really interesting stuff throughout the song. He really is the highlight of the song. Especially in the slightly slower section in the middle. Couple of good little solos throughout the song, which are a bit more energetic than the main riff. It's less than 4 minutes long, so it definitely doesn't overstay its welcome. Good fun stuff, but just needs to drive forward with a bit more energy to be a truly great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKXEls3fgvs

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 am 

draterami wrote:
Knightmare - Cazador De Hombres

Hot damn! I didn't come into this thread to review this - merely to listen, and I was honestly floored (and moved) to write this. What is offered is seemingly simple on the surface, given the band name, but holy fucking hell! If this isn't some the heaviest PM I've ever heard then please correct me. This was ballsy as all hell, resplendent with massive riffs, and complex, but not overwhelming song structures. Blisteringly furious at times this is, but there are moments of brooding calm, which help heighten the overall mood. As usual expect high pitched, wailing vocals, but used in such a way... towering, epic, grandiose, and powerful are adjectives that come to mind. One thing I did find to be off for me, was the drum sound - it seemed very artificial, and over-produced, and waaay too squeaky clean, but apart from that, pretty awesome tune.

This will probably be a no surprise, coming from me, but fucking hell...

My collection

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:05 pm 

Desecresy - Forged From Chaos

very cool intro...the accoustic guitar gave an almost mysterious sound to it until the drums and guitars kick in to some explosive riffs. AT 1:10 where the tempo slows abit, this really reminds me of Necrophobic - The nocturnal silence in guitar tone and the lead "dark" guitar over the main riff. The vocals are abit more distorted but really work with the sound the bands is creating. THings pick up again at around 2:50 with some fast riffs and blasting. Things slow down again and these are the sections that really shine to me. I love the slower heavy riffs with that lead over them...just gives the songs that atmosphere that alot of death metal bands don't have. definitely a great first impression of the band! Thanks

9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__CPY5pXEfo

my last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 pm 

Sigh - My Funeral

This is a band I've been a very casual fan of for a long time and have meant to get more into them. This is a cool song, nice tremolo, a spiteful snarl for vox and cool synths and piano in the background. This is a bit more straightforward than much of the Sigh I've heard, although in this case it is not at all a bad thing. I really like how in the bridge they have this cool riff that is started by the guitar and finished by the piano. This was a very good song, and I really need to listen to these guys more often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjmPm8Fa2o

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:34 pm 

Black Hell - Lunar Procession

A nice full and weighty guitar tone starts us off with some intro riffs that go on for maybe a tad too long. The brunt of the song suffers a little too much from a chugga-chugga syndrome underlying a pretty solid pendulum-like riff that echos High on Fire. Problem is it lacks the catchiness that makes a really good HoF song. Maybe it's partially because it lacks the multi-layered texture that HoF nails down so effortlessly. On the plus side the soloing is very good and overall it's not a bad song. That said, I think to really like this song, you have to be a fan of HoF's brand of stoner metal and feel like the scores of identical-sounding albums they put out are really not enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtYr83qwPuk

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 pm 

Vitsaus - Jumalan Kodin Rauniolla

What this band does is nothing bad but they don't do anything superbly either. I hear some folk influenced riffing much in the vein of other Scandinavian bands. The atmosphere is fairly uplifting with the warm riffs. Sadly though they aren't particularly memorable. The vocals are standard shrieking and don't stand out much sounding fairly dry and there is a heavy layer of fuzz and combined with a fast beat from the drums and some blasting it gives off the illusion of being caught in a blizzard. But I prefer the blizzard effect from bands that sound cold rather than have such warm riffing. Overall pretty average.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPql1YNO_FM

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:05 am 

Power From Hell - Bestial Times

A semi-interesting old-school thrash/black hybrid from Brazil. This is what Brazilians seem to love: intentionally crappy sounding aggressive throwbacks to a decade and a half backwards in time, to a filthy basement with concrete walls and a soiled old sofa and 1800 empty beer cans for furniture in location, and pawn-shop instruments and amps that make them sound like extremely furious tearing of rolls upon rolls of C-grade Soviet toilet paper/wallpaper in gear. While it's not completely believable or credible as an idea, this particular track has a certain charm to it, and the riffing has some nice drive to it, even if the sound resembles hacksawing sheet metal. This pseudo-old-school stuff is a South American speciality, and perhaps yearns to go back to times that, essentially, never really were...

Quite entertaining in small dosages, but would probably bore the hell out of me after 20 minutes. 6/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k3pJUmRIek

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:36 pm 

Vomiting Skulls- Serpents Kill Slowly

The initial melody is an instantly predictable, nondescript modern Black Metal riff that ends on a rock chord. This is an attempt to be anthemic Black Metal, which is something that was rarely ever done right(Lost Wisdom and Mother North are the good examples) and is mostly antithetical to the genre. It more resembles boring hard rock music with Black Metal riffs which are in themselves a generic amalgamation of the many modern styles of Black Metal. Everything is perfectly leveled, nothing stands out, this song is an exercise in entropy and seemingly merely exists to take up space. Thankfully it plods along rather quickly leaving it a half baked collision of mismatched ideas.

1/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icvfjVddVVE

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:21 pm 

Abhorrence - Pleasure of Putrid Flesh

Dark, old school death metal here. Has the typical scuzzy sound that one would associate with OSDM. Some solid riffs with a mixture of tremelo picked for the faster stuff and heavy slower riffs. the song has a nice mixture of tempo changes...I like the bridge like section at 2:20...also the section at 3:00 with a real "evil" sounding riff with a frantic, although not really that impressive solo over it. I like the vocals as they add to the dark feel of the song. I've listened to the song a few times now and the drums never really stood out at anypoint, but i don't think they were a detraction either...either way, Enjoyed the song as it had alot of elements i enjoy in my death metal!

8/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrMlCiPQfE

my last.fm

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:26 pm 

Sadus- Undead

Not a big fan of most Thrash Metal truth be told, though I do like some. I'm not all that familiar with Sadus, so this is kind of a first for me. Honestly, I thought it was decent: the first almost two minutes was pissing me off, it felt so random and sloppy. Just pointless riffing, soloing and speed which felt completely directionless. However, once the actual song started it wasn't bad: decent Death/Thrash, my favorite kind of Thrash. Still, I'd take Demolition Hammer or Morbid Saint over this any day of the week.

5/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN_kpMmOexc

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:52 am 

Cultes Des Ghoules-The Passion of a Sorceress

I have high hopes with regards to Henbane after all the praise it received on the NWN forum, even though the initial listens of Spectres did little for me when I heard it a while ago. The opening riff is coated in a grimey HellHammer-esque guitar tone that reeks of distortion, vocally the mix reminds me of a ghoulish Tom G. Warrior with occasional screeches reminiscent of Attila Csihar. The drum tone is strong resounding in the mid tempo fills and crashing loudly during the faster breaks, the song explodes from the dirge tone of the opening riff to crashing cymbals and stronger faster chords around the 3:40 mark. The return to the slower doom-riff and the demonic shriek around 6:04 which continues constantly, the vocalist at this point sounds like a disembodied spirit howling over those heavy as fuck riffs. The song is proof that heavier black metal can be varied and be more memorable than much faster acts, and I am thoroughly impressed with this song and can understand why this album has received the acclaim it has.

9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8KviRm23M

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 am 

Runemagick: "Dark Necroshadows"

I've listened to this band before, but not a great deal. I always hoped to be as impressed by them as most seem to me but for some reason every time I've listened to them I got the impression they were just "cranking the starter" so to speak and not really delivering the spectacular songs of which they seemed fully capable. This track almost affirms that impression as it sounds rather like an album closer or interlude. That said, it's pretty good! The song can be roughly divided in half, with the first section consisting of some very "chunky" riffing backed by thundrous drums, reminding me more than a little of The Chasm. That's a pretty great guitar tone, too, and I like the distant yet menacing, sparse vocal attack. The second section of this piece is a doomy crawl with some very tenebrous riffs. THis makes me wonder what the band would be like in the live environment. Very crushing, I imagine! We close out with a gentle synth and acoustic segment. Quite atmospheric. So, I sort of enjoyed this but it didn't really seem to offer much real progression or closure, and again I'm left kind of wanting, or expecting, more.

All right, it's debatable how metal this really is, but they're in the archives, and I must say that listening to this very late the other night while stoned out of my mind was a rather disconcerting experience, in a thoroughly pleasurable way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26NRz-35QOg
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:00 am 

Oxbow - She's a Find

This is like, Abominatrix said, pleasurable! It greatly reminds me of this song by Neurosis except this is much quieter and more sparsely delivered. The guitars have a faraway heavy tone and don't intrude too much. Overall it is governed by a rather subtle melancholy that I couldn't help but find greatly appealing as I am a fan of stonerish avant garde stuff such as this. On my way now to check out the rest of the album The Narcotic Story and I suggest y'all do the same!

How about some sludge from an unexpected source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2oBdhQbRs4

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 pm 

Slayer - Gemini

Never heard this Slayer track before, but holy shit man. This, well, slays. While still retaining some thrash sensibilities, this is both sludgy and doomy as ever. It plods along menacingly, even though the verse vocals are less aggressive, instrumentally it sounds menacing as hell. The chorus is catchy without sacrificing any aggression. The solo is fantastic, and the and the weird hardcore punk thing after that is really cool. Fucking great track, I can't find a single negative thing to say about it. This will certainly get heavy rotation in the future.

I was going to pick "Ever Hunter" from the same album, but I couldn't seem to find the studio version on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXAMPJ5gtY

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:22 am 

Castle - Blacklands

Castle is one of the better female fronted doom bands we have these days and this song (and whole album, really) should tell you why. There is not a thing especially special about them so you really can't nitpick. Everything succeeds really well because it is supported well by something else. Elizabeth Blackwell is not the world's best singer but she can move a motherfucker without trying really hard. Her voice is emotional in the right places without going over the top. The song is standard length and there's not much in the way of riffing but you have to admire the guitarist's compositional skill. Like I said though, it is an utterly COMPLETE piece and works because everything benefits everything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRKlkj3T3p8

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:54 pm 

Zoser Mez - Another Time

I can't shake the Judas Priest vibe I got from the intro. His voice in that spoken bit reminded me so much of the intro to Sin After Sin. Too bad because the singer is no Halford by a long shot, actually reminds me a bit of Coverdale in spots. The lyrics are instantly forgettable but that's usually not a problem for me. The production is a little muffled for my tastes but it doesn't ruin it for me either. Nice main riff that gets a bit repetitive before we're done. Leads shine in the solos, could have been highlighted with better production. Completely disappear during the verses. That kind of bugged me. I see this is a side project of Mercyful Fate's guitarists from around '90. I wouldn't have guessed. It's not bad at all but could have used some more work and a different vocalist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjnWqRiNc2M

draterami
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:23 pm 

Medieval Steel - To Kill a King

With a band name like this, I was expecting some straight forward power metal. But no, instead I get groovy mid-paced heavy metal, with some very cool riffing. Especially that main riff. I was really getting into that one. The vocals are solid, but not particularly remarkable. They evoke a sort of traditional doom metal feel, with the way they are pushed a bit behind the riffs, and the echo effect going on. Bass is almost non-existent. I thought that there actually was none at the start, and when the main riff kicked in. But it's there, just really, really quiet. About halfway through, the song changes up and speeds up a little bit for the guitar solo. After this, it returns back to the main riff, and then... nothing. It's over, pretty abruptly. Definitely the weakest aspect of the song. It just doesn't build to anything. A bit more variety in the riffing would be great, because they can clearly write at least one good riff. But instead, we get a song that feels unfinished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocq2sWK6CzM&list=PLouJ-yNv7qvDK4ACGsBF0Ja3a3fRQcpjw&index=1

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:03 am 

The Ocean - Bathyalpelagic III: Disequillibrated

New stuff from The Ocean with them not sounding much different than usual. The atmosphere is great and actually key to any enjoyment to be derived from this track. The structure of the song is as haphazard as most of their stuff with a bit of Mastodon influence on the riffing. I like how the vocals sound drowned in some parts and rise with the guitars. The riff at about 2:45 is a prime example that chugging can be made interesting if you know how to concoct a savvy shifting rhythm part. The whole thing dips and ducks for nearly five minutes and there's not a boring moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riv3AiZLxJc

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:36 am 

Mother - Through This Disappearing Land, PT.I

A surprisingly nice piece of sludge. The justifiably minimal vocals are the usual sludge fare, a throaty shriek, and the music itself is slowish, as it's supposed to be. But this particular song has a very nice, bass-heavy sound with plenty of beef, and a mildly and comfortably muddled production. Yeah, heard on the puny adult liver sized computer speakers, but still heavy as fuck. I can't recall ever hearing the band, or even of the band before, but this is an enjoyable song from their first EP. Might be looking for this on my future record store prowls, good sludge is something I need to get to know better.

It's nice to see that the Czech are not only capable of destroying the Boston marathon, they also know how to bulldoze ears. Herp derp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w90MBg7JoA

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:38 pm 

Mekong Delta - Night on Bare Mountain.

I'm a big fan of the original by Modest Mussorgsky ever since I saw the amazing video in Disney's Fantasia. I'm also a big fan of Mekong Delta and really like this rendition. I, of course, think that it works much better as a classical piece but this metalized version is still really enjoyable. Cool cover by a talented band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9rt760-Hns

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:45 am 

Fifth Angel - Cry Out The Fools

Do you like the eighties? Do you like heavy metal? Do you like masculine vocals? If you answered yes to any of these, than I urge you to check this band out. This track is SO eighties I can smell it - like a dimly lit bar crammed full of smoke, half expecting the anti-hero of the film to step up to the bar, order a stiff drink, and then proceed to have a montage about the cause of his heartbreak, before having THAT inner awakening. He then (after a few more drinks) grabs his leather jacket, and will walk out to the large convertable waiting outside on the steam shrouded, dimly streetlight-lit sidewalk, filled with steely resolve... This track takes the approach of "if the riff rocks, roll with it", which isn't a bad thing in this case I guess, as it's not bad, and the chorus is, well, uplifting, yet tainted with loss or regret (see above). This was okay, it's solid though it doesn't do anything you wouldn't really expect. I just hope the anti-hero turns out alright...

A little more violent...

My collection

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:31 am 

Vomitory-Nervegasclouds

8/10

As expected with Vomitory the band's entire discography is unique among the shitty halls of Swedish death metal, the band actually have a measure of brutality while their comrades just ape the well-known Swedish bands. There is no sign of any awful watered-down thrash riffs or that flaccid chainsaw guitar tone, the song opens up with a siren to herald to the impending power of the song. The vocals are a deep guttural roar and the riff a slightly drained out mid-tempo crusher, the production is highly organic and lends itself well to hearing the cymbal crashes and constant movement from the drums. The main riff resounds well in a sort of planned contrast with the cymbals, as the vocals sear in the background the riff and battery assault mow down all in their path. Overall, a great song from one of the few noteworthy Swedish death metal bands, more acts should've followed their example and dropped that shit guitar tone and added riffs like these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1WRx1FN3tU

Under_Starmere wrote:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:44 pm 

Blessed Death - Incoming Wounded

This is from one of the brands of metal that didn't really drive a hook in my flesh in the 80's: speedy, yes, but also rather primal and dirty, with a lousy production job in the years when mainstream metal was still clean as a five-star hotel's linen. Yeah, this kind of stuff was not really even available in any form in the small towns of Finland back then, but the little of this kind I heard didn't make a positive impression. However, as the years have passed and the mind has matured, it does have a certain appeal in its speed metal/proto-thrash aggression, and here, the almost Proscriptor-ish screams and wails give it a new kind of punch. The only real complaint is the complete incompatibility of the peaceful melodic break (OK on its own) and the gritty fury of the 80's speed metal. They are from different albums, and fit together like bacon ice cream and rosemary underwear.

I could listen to the whole album, all the way through. Once. Then have a week in between before the second spin. Because this is tiring, if quite enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDj1y0qXqDk

Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 am 

since I'm from Egypt...

Doro - Egypt (The Chains Are On)

Oh no, she didn't!

Seriously though Doro does no wrong with this swift interpretation of one of Dio's finest songs. She lends it a more mystical air and her voice is as lamenting and wistful as Dio's was on the original. It plods along gracefully but just not as insinuatingly dark as Dio's was although really there's not much wrong to find here in case you're on a fault finding mission as most will be when the case is covers.
The guitars are actually quite more pronounced and the dramatics of the original are not altered. Doro's voice has always struck me as unique and she sticks to her comfort zones here but sings the hell out of the tune. SATISFYING!

Something from my country;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owIvZRVRzRg

Last edited by Punishing on Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:45 pm 

Wyvern: "Kingdom of Gold"

Definitely stereotypical prog metal in the sense that there are plenty of ideas crammed into these eleven minutes and the song follows a linear structure, with everything opening wide up after the five minute mark before reinstating, with an increased grandiosity, the themes of the earlier "verse" parts. What wasn't so typical was the singing, which was in a lower range than your standard US prog metal act. Unfortunately, while I appreciate the band going for something different in the vocal area, I didn't exactly warm to the singing and throughout the first half of the song I could not hsake the feeling that he was at times singing a different tune altogether. He also had a sort of "moaning" delivery that didn't exactly work up my enthusiasm. Still, it's all right; the vocalist is the weak link in 90% of bands so I won't really fault them for this. I enjoyed the very honest production, which rendered the bass nice and fat and loud, even during the heavy parts. The high-tuned snare was a little weird but I enjoyed it, as well as the various percussion (hand drums?) used in the intro iad some of the quiet breaks later on. Around 5:30 the song opens up into a huge instrumental break, and I was relieved, because it had been a bit earlier that I checked the time and realised I still had over halfway to go in this song, and it was starting to annoy me a little. However, the instrumental section is pretty great, starting out with some minimal choppy riffing and expanding into two huge solos, the second one sounding very bold and full of feeling. Good work to the drummer, who manages to keep a really nice groove going even with the aide of a bit of double bass here and there, which I usually find to be the "anti-groove agent" in drumming because of the way most metal drummers employ this tool. When the vocals finally return at 8:00 the whole thing sounds reenergised, and the addition of mournful leads over the ghostly echoing chords give the climax of this piece an unexpectedly grandiose feeling. SO I found all this rather enjoyable, even though some of the heavy riffs seemed a bit stationary and the vocals weren't entirely to my taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJYfylZg4k

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm 

Hold the place, Frenchman will take on this French song. ;)

Edit: I am, mdr! :lol:
But hey, long time no see, nice to find you around, though.

Last edited by LegendMaker on Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:34 pm 

Oh cool, Vulcain! That's one of the weakest song on the album in my opinion. Ebony is better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omJbWd0vOwg :) They're very cool live too! Sorry, write your review now, Créateur de légendes.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

Believe it or not, I never got around to checking out Vulcain's debut, or much of their career, for that matter; I have the follow-up, 'Desperados', which never made a lasting impression on me, although I remember it being decent for what it was. Anyway, that song is exactly what you'd expect from a 1984 hard/heavy band hailing from my home country: influenced by early/good-era Trust to such a degree that you'd think they had never heard anything other than 'L'Élite' & 'Répression' when they decided to start a band of their own. Expectedly, besides the über French, Téléphone/Trust-inspired lyrical style (French trademark bunch of random nonsense haphazardly glued together: life's a bitch, get in line, romance is for pussies, rock 'n' roll is cool, government is evil) and vocal style, approach and delivery (mildly aggressive speech to slightly raspy rap, with no attempt whatsoever at singing or any of that technical bullshit), Trust's two main influences show in their followers' work here, with the oh-so-Malcolm-derived intro/chorus riff and chord progression (especially the rhythm guitar full-chord add-ons and even the fucking bass line's embellishments) and some of the fairly Angus-y soloing representing AC/DC, while almost everything else the song is made of represents Motörhead (they basically took Trust's recipe but reversed the usual 3/4 Malcolm, 1/4 Lemmy dosage). It's a fine rock song, with loads of energy, some energetic drumming directly aligned to that on 'Overkill' or 'Fire Down Under', a very good old school, well-balanced production job, some fine albeit basic rock 'n' roll riffs and bass lines, and some fine solos; even the vocals are good for that style (as I was hinting at above, entirely song-oriented in the grand chanson française tradition of putting the entire emphasis of the vocal delivery on the meaning of the lyrics for each word you utter). But yeah, at the end of the day, I'm not that often in the right mood for this kind of stuff, but when I am...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daWkODaQhYY

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:50 pm 

Heheh, the vocal line in the verses in 'Rock 'N' Roll Secours' is pretty much lifted from Motorhead's The Hammer.

'Let the killer go, don't let your mother know!'

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:29 pm 

Riot - Run for your Life

Traditional heavy metal here, a bit out of my element. Although Riot are a fairly well known band, I never listened to them. This sounds alright, although very typical. I think I can hear somewhat of a Think Lizzy influence in the guitar. This definitely has hard rock leanings. The chorus is kind of catchy, but nothing mind blowing. The solo was pretty cool, although nothing we haven't heard 100 times before. This is adequate for what it is, but nothing I'd go back to.

I wanted to post Unsuccesfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity from the debut, but posting a 12 minute song would just be a dick move.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cZha96rDL4

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:16 am 

@ Legendmaker and Acrobat, Re: Vulcain

I'm not hugely familiar with the band's catalogue yet, but I'm enjoyign the hell out of waht I've listened to. As Legend says, it pretty much sounds like the best amalgamation of AC/DC and MOtorhead you could imagine. I've never listened to Trust...I take it anything but the first stuff is best avoided?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 72  Next