Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:00 pm 

@LegendMaker:

No offense taken of course, there are songs and appraisals flying all over the god damned place in here. That Enchanter track really was incredible. You've probably realized by now but they're certainly on the archives. Also, the compilation of their demos that Arkeyn Steel put out looks pretty easy to get ahold of now.

I'm glad you dug Quicksand Dream. I've not seen much talk about them outside of the Heavy/Power/Speed thread, and they deserve every bit of praise laid at their feet. The band has been around since the 80s though they used to be called Epic Irae. Anyways the full length is a pretty awesome concept album. Last time I check nwnprod.com had the CD for a measly 5 dollars. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:25 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Satan's Host - By the Hands of the Devil

Simply put: metal as fuck. Everything about this song is badass. Opening up with the clean vocals and blasting and melodic tremolo and then immediately going back into the dizzying slower riff immediately gives the song a nauseating feel, but a good nauseating.The dual vocal breakdown at 2:10? YEAAAHHHHHH. It's a great mix of melodic metal and harsher elements, almost if Nevermore made badass music instead of boring stupid crap. Take all these elements and throw them in with a completely awesome sense of pacing and you have the makings of an awesome metal song song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCOEgbOdCpY

Merrimack - Redeem Restless Souls

The intro had an intensity and guitar tone that was intriguing. Sadly it gave way to pretty un-inspired, middle-of-the-road black metal. One of the qualms that I have with a lot of conventional black metal is that the vocals despite being among the most mediocre elements of the band end up drowning out and distracting from rather interesting guitarwork. I'd say that this was the case here, but honestly the guitarwork and really every element of the band seems equally mediocre. Interestingly, the last half minute with "the what is dead is dead" lyric repeated over and over ended up sounding pretty killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqWV7Cctmbc

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:21 am 

Warhorse-Doom's bride

So this is the infamous Warhorse? The intro guitar riffs were expectedly crushing and the crushing riffs swelled like crashing waves against the rocks well past the two minute marker. All and all the song was good but not anywhere near as breathtaking as I expected as was hinted by the "Heaviest band ever thread", the solo toward the middle was the highlight of the song as well as the groove 6:11, and the vocals were gruff and very distinct for this type of music. Overall, it was a decent song truly representative of the doom metal subgenre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdBcV5G8kA4

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

PostScriptum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:31 am 

Skepticism - Sign of A Storm

More than just an ordinary atmospheric song, truly hypnotic song. Stormcrowfleet is something that makes me listen to the howling wind outside my house more carefully. Mournful keys send shivers, but at the same time when music is about to stop, you are falling to a slumber-like, peaceful state of mind. The vocals are not very distinct, naturally, so it's better for me to read lyrics while listening. The quality of the sound reminds me SunnO)))'s off the beaten track manner of recording. A nice specimen of Funeral Doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNyvBqPueJA

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:09 am 

FIrst off...
@ Legend maker:
Spoiler: show
Yeah, Enchanter is a fairly new discovery for me as well, and they are indeed an incredible band. They actually recorded two LPs as Longings Past but with a different and, to my mind, much inferior vocalist. It was Failsafe and I think one or two others mentioning them in the heavy/speed thread that got me to check them out..mostly due to a comparison with Fates Warning, i think. While they do at times remind me of FW they are definitely doing their own thing with these demos, and it's truly a shame they didnt' record more! Compilation sounds pretty good though I must say.

Celtic Frost: "Mexican Radio"

Not a bad song, but forever tainted in my mind because of its horrible placement on the album, right at the outset. The cowbell right away lends this sense of goofiness to everything, and the song is made to sound basically like a normal Celtic Frost tune with some weird and weak backing vocals thrown in. I like it a little all the same...Warrior says "iguana" in a funny way that always cracks me up. Still, it's kind of an indicator of the things that went wrong with this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46NLRFBssjU

Note: I'm posting loads of heavy/speed stuff because I'm mostly responding to this thread in idle time at work, and most of the metal I end up listening to here is of this variety. Still, expect some black metal and some weird stuff soon. :lol:
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:47 am 

Abominatrix wrote:

Griffin - 'Cursed be the Deceiver'.

Alright, this is pretty rad. I love this guy's vocal delivery, he reminds me of John Cyriis on the first Agent Steel album... which is certainly a good thing. I only heard Griffin's debut a few weeks ago, apparently this album is more thrash, but I really didn't get that vibe for this song. If anything this is a little more twisted and strange than anything from the debut. Definitely cool, and Protectors of the Lair is a fucking awesome album title.

My addition: since the "Protectors" thing has just sparked my memory is the actual, er, Protector with 'Urn the Mad'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ElWcwWoDM

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:47 pm 

Protector: "Urm the Mad"

Shame on me for not really giving this band the consideration they obviously deserve. This is wonderfully heavy stuff on that nebulous border between death and thrash metal. Love the meaty and yet somehow very 80s guitar sound and the drums, which remind me of that Italian band Buldozer more than a little. The riff that comes in at about forty seconds is MONSTROUS!...one of the most crushingly heavy and undeniably metal things I've heard in quite some time! The song is short but doesn't at all feel underdeveloped, and it's perfect that it comes back around for a speedy conclusion. The solo is typical but simultaneously really great sounding. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlC7wbOCJI

~Guest 161894
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:22 pm 

---

Last edited by ~Guest 161894 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:40 pm 

As per usual, first the comments:
@Abo & Jonpo: Yeah, I finally managed to reach the proper Enforcer page on the Archives, but only by searching the label, and then going through the "past bands" rooster. For some reason, I was unable to find them through the dozen of Enforcers... Oh lol! That was the reason then: I didn't get that the band's name was Enchanter, I've read it like 10 times, but my mind insisted on getting "Enforcer" out of it. :uh oh:

More importantly, while I'm very happy we're all on the same awe-inspired page regarding this band, I must stop you both right there, right now in your expectations about the compilation: Digitally remastered it says!!1!!11 Now I know, I know, not everybody is as fierce and devoted in their War on Remasterism as yours truly, but come on! We're talking demos (with a surprisingly excellent sound quality, especially for the era, I must add) being digitally remastered 20 years after the fact... I'll see what I can grab in terms of clean rips for now; maybe actual copies of the demos themselves will be floating around in unexpected places somewhere along the road. But I'm certainly not buying a digitally remastered compilation, ever.

@Abominatrix: Also, please don't apologize for posting awesome stuff! I'd say we've had a rather good balance between genres so far, in this thread; I can't even think of any subgenre we haven't covered at least a couple of times. Au contraire, if you were to switch to posting BM and weird-ass stuff, then it's this category which would be at risk of becoming the dominant one (and I'd rather it did not). :D

@ANationalAcrobat: You did it almost perfectly; if you could just hold the spoiler it'd be greatly appreciated, though. Very sorry again if I come across as a party-pooper, but it's really that much more fun and exciting to have the ability to just click the link, close my eyes, and be surprised. That's one of the best aspects of this thread. Knowing beforehand what it's gonna be ruins it for me. Sorry for that. :lol:

That said, great selection with this Protector track, and thank you very much for that! I'm in an even worse situation than Abo regarding this band: I have one of their EP, which I've bought maybe errr damn, some 15 years ago now, and the last spin I gave it was perhaps 8-10 years ago. To my credit, it was a shitty/meh EP (this one), but seeing as I really enjoyed this track, I'll give the band another chance.

im_mortal_man wrote:

We are above and we are below! I'm sure you all have this feeling every now and then, when you're watching some comedy or other funny stuff and you think to yourself "this is such utter, total crap, how can they even dare?", but at the same time, you're laughing your fucking ass off, and so it does work. Well, this is the musical equivalent of that: I don't even believe those guys, and yet I have a happy grin on my face and I feel good just from listening to their Twisted Sister's arena rock anthems parody / Venom's "Black Metal" chorus pastiche / a few hints at the very basic notion of the black metal sound. It holds practically no musical value, but it's fun as fuck. So great job if that's what you were aiming for, guys! I mean, kids. :metal:

EDIT: Wow, fuuuuuck! Some words are not even meant to be used as a joke, around here. To clarify, no oversized brown penises for me, thanks but no thanks, automated censorship. This was automatically inserted in my post (and nowhere else). :lol:

Alright, something else entirely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP3W3QmCQeU

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:52 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
As per usual, first the comments:
@Abo & Jonpo: Yeah, I finally managed to reach the proper Enforcer page on the Archives, but only by searching the label, and then going through the "past bands" rooster. For some reason, I was unable to find them through the dozen of Enforcers... Oh lol! That was the reason then: I didn't get that the band's name was Enchanter, I've read it like 10 times, but my mind insisted on getting "Enforcer" out of it. :uh oh:

More importantly, while I'm very happy we're all on the same awe-inspired page regarding this band, I must stop you both right there, right now in your expectations about the compilation: Digitally remastered it says!!1!!11 Now I know, I know, not everybody is as fierce and devoted in their War on Remasterism as yours truly, but come on! We're talking demos (with a surprisingly excellent sound quality, especially for the era, I must add) being digitally remastered 20 years after the fact... I'll see what I can grab in terms of clean rips for now; maybe actual copies of the demos themselves will be floating around in unexpected places somewhere along the road. But I'm certainly not buying a digitally remastered compilation, ever.

@Abominatrix: Also, please don't apologize for posting awesome stuff! I'd say we've had a rather good balance between genres so far, in this thread; I can't even think of any subgenre we haven't covered at least a couple of times. Au contraire, if you were to switch to posting BM and weird-ass stuff, then it's this category which would be at risk of becoming the dominant one (and I'd rather it did not). :D

@ANationalAcrobat: You did it almost perfectly; if you could just hold the spoiler it'd be greatly appreciated, though. Very sorry again if I come across as a party-pooper, but it's really that much more fun and exciting to have the ability to just click the link, close my eyes, and be surprised. That's one of the best aspects of this thread. Knowing beforehand what it's gonna be ruins it for me. Sorry for that. :lol:

That said, great selection with this Protector track, and thank you very much for that! I'm in an even worse situation than Abo regarding this band: I have one of their EP, which I've bought maybe errr damn, some 15 years ago now, and the last spin I gave it was perhaps 8-10 years ago. To my credit, it was a shitty/meh EP (this one), but seeing as I really enjoyed this track, I'll give the band another chance.

im_mortal_man wrote:

We are above and we are below! I'm sure you all have this feeling every now and then, when you're watching some comedy or other funny stuff and you think to yourself "this is such utter, total crap, how can they even dare?", but at the same time, you're laughing your fucking ass off, and so it does work. Well, this is the musical equivalent of that: I don't even believe those guys, and yet I have a happy grin on my face and I feel good just from listening to their Twisted Sister's arena rock anthems parody / Venom's "Black Metal" chorus pastiche / a few hints at the very basic notion of the black metal sound. It holds practically no musical value, but it's fun as fuck. So great job if that's what you were aiming for, guys! I mean, kids. :metal:

EDIT: Wow, fuuuuuck! Some words are not even meant to be used as a joke, around here. To clarify, no oversized brown penises for me, thanks but no thanks, automated censorship. This was automatically inserted in my post (and nowhere else). :lol:

Alright, something else entirely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP3W3QmCQeU

Europe - Seven doors hotel

Well I certainly didn't expect Europe and to be honest I've never even actually heard anything from them besides--obviously--The Final Countdown. The intro was nice, but then as the song got going there was way too much "ohhh-ohhh"-ing for my tastes. It felt like there was no guitarwork aside from an admittedly competent solo towards the end. All I heard besides the constant "ohh"-ing was the standard-fare 80s hair metal percussion, with the guitar really only used as a garnish. That said it's an inoffensive song and I wouldn't mind it if it ever came on the radio, but nothing special.

And now for something even more different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObHxVD6Te34

draterami
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 pm 

Pitbulls In the Nursery - In My Veins Outro

Really? An outro? And it goes for 8 minutes. It's all based on some noodling on a sitar. Nothing happens for the first 5 minutes, and when other instruments do come in, it's just some single note rhythm based riffs. Then there's a short heavy section for about 30 seconds, just before the track finishes. Honestly, I was really bored of this song by the time it hit the halfway point. It picked up a little bit, but I believe a song like this needs some context, in terms of how it fits with the rest of the album.

Next song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRAJErqK4A

gradymayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:15 am 

Shining- Fisheye
Terrible. Words utterly fail to convey how utterly annoying this is. If Horse the Band tried to be avant garde and took themselves way too seriously, this would be the result. Sorry, but a guy saying "One three seven five" over and over again just doesn't cut it. The synth is overblown and obnoxious, the vocals shit, the drums programmed as fuck, and the guitar a mere backing rhythmic instrument of no import. 0%.

On to the next one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvYVwL4ISKQ
We'll bathe tonight
Post metal on my facebook! http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/prof ... 1698891497 I'm formerly defyexistance btw

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:01 am 

@Amerigo
Dude, I've been meaning to ask you this for a while: any particular reason you systematically quote the entire post instead of just the link every time? :D

gradymayhem wrote:

"Bring on the 12'19'' long, wannabe "avant-garde" neo-post-BM song, then..." I said to myself once more; the 2'30'' of near-silence (with a faint synth note here and there) "intro" sure as fuck didn't change my mind; then came 6 minutes of a very, very good BM song, thankfully! Tight musicianship and production, slightly repetitive but quite effective riffing, vocals, drums and above all the great use of synths (of the "feels like circus music, and it's so terrifying" variety, à la golden age Old Man's Child, which I really enjoy), all coming together to serve a nice and dark composition; the occasional gothic chants were also welcomed. Then another minute of pretentious-ass near-silence; then they pressed "repeat" on the last two minutes of the 6 mins song; and then finaaaalllllyyyy something extra came up: 45 seconds of an okay (just okay) mid-period Samael riff to conclude. In short, excellent 6 minute song in the middle, surrounded by 6 extra minutes of bullshit begging to be trimmed. Yeaaaah, "epic!"

Damn, YouTube is not fucking helping! That's four songs I wanted to submit but couldn't find...

Okay, here goes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm6wPQRsZ50

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:13 am 

Heir Apparent - A.N.D... Dogro Lived On

Hmm. A great intro, I must say. Guitarist knows what he's doing. Decent chorus. Vocals are typical, par-for-the-course 80's fare. The soloing is fun, I love this old-school tone to it too. Seems like a lost speed metal gem to me. A solid 4 out of 5.

Let's keep on headbangin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFGP0TI7Oo

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:27 am 

Drygva - Шлях валхвоў ( Path of Volkhves)

Some kind of folk metal, heavier on the guitars than many in this field. Production was appropriately thunderous and heavy. Unfortunately for me the pizzicato-like ssynth string hits gave off a sort of absurd, carnivalesque feeling. It's not that the synth was overbearing, but rather that I think the choice of that string patch and the way it was used seemed to give off a bit of a stale cheese odour if you know what I mean. Guitar solos, though minimal and not seeming too developed, were a nice touch. Guitars seem to be played with skill and as I said the sound is quite powerful...I just wish there were more in the way of actual riffing. Vocals were good and strong and reminded me of some Czech bands in their biting, heavily accented delivery. Seems that folk metal really isn't my cuppa most of the time, and while this wasn't bad exactly I probably wouldn't play it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VvXcwjzzX0&feature=fvst

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:07 pm 

Supuration - The Cube

What a classic! French band Supuration has been around for what seems like forever and their material is quite unique. In my opinion they were absolutely at their best with this 1993 album 'The Cube' and even the title-track posted above is probably their best song to date. Going by the name S.U.P. today, they have released a bunch of albums that all kind of sound the same, but they are masters of their own weird style. The best way to describe their music must be a mix of old Paradise Lost (especially the Macintosh-worship guitar leads), Voivod-weirdness, 80's goth like Depeche Mode, Dark, mysterious and monotone stuff like Red Harvest and such. I'd call this band pretty timeless if it were not for the quite overdone growling vocals that sounds like remains from the early 90's, but fortunately they are levelled out with clean vocals too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOpakRcV-yY

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:12 pm 

Lob of Lemmings - Soup

Yet another band I've got no previous knowledge of. The band's name, it seems, is as interesting and distinct as the music they produce. The sound is thick and murky, but not muddy, and I quite like that - It's powerful in it's depth. The vocals sound quite unique, and I get the impression that they're a band that could be recognised on vocals alone. I'm usualy a bit weary of most things tagged "progressive", but this seems quite reasonable, even if it doesn't flow as well as I'd hoped, and the riffs are less memorable than the vocals. The progressive moments certainly make the song memorable overall, however, and certain parts are wont to be stuck in my memory for a long time. Decent, but not entirely to my tastes, I must admit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFFiHHWBa98

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:46 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
@Amerigo
Dude, I've been meaning to ask you this for a while: any particular reason you systematically quote the entire post instead of just the link every time? :D

Too lazy to delete stuff. :p

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:53 pm 

Akelei - Duett

This song starts in heavy, melancholic and melodic tones; rich, deep wall of distorted guitars in the background, a clean guitar and a melancholic lead guitar (which starts solo, then is accompanied with another for beautiful harmonies). The drums recall many funeral-esque, but not quite, doom metal bands from the last decade: a slow beat, resonant sounds, a slow open hi-hat. There are clean vocals sung by both man and woman; the woman's used to pronounce aesthetics of beauty common in gothic metal. Much of the vocals are harmonised, sometimes man and woman together, sometimes either with another layer. For the verse, the distorted guitar wall also chugs heavily, and the lead guitars disappear to make room for the vocalists. The overall impression is that of vaguely melancholic, sort of blissful beauty. The music is inviting, but perhaps slightly uninvoking considering the amount of melodrama it attempts to convey at every turn. While fully competent and well made, and abundant with well-thought of, well executed ideas, the song might work better in the context of an album where it would doubtless be surrounded by less theatralic numbers. Alone, without anything to set the atmosphere for the song, it strikes to me as slightly too histrionic. It's in many ways very reminiscent of Shape of Despair's Illusions Play, although not quite as proficient in evoking atmosphere. Especially the outro where more complex, melancholically beautiful clean guitar is played atop of the main riff, almost sends the listener into a trance-like state, as Shape of Despair does. A good song overall, though it could've benefitted from some kind of a counterpoint for the main themes (there is a bridge part where a lone clean guitar rings and the female vocalist softly sings, but it isn't a proper counterpoint).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uE1OMNGbYY
Again, this one benefits from a bit of turning it up!

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:19 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

One thing I've never really liked is that after My Dying Bride gained popularity, the doom metal genre exploded with gothic death/doom bands that sounded alike. After a lot of purists started getting angry about it, the next iteration of sound-alike doom bands strained out some of the gothic melodrama, but still retained a very goth-y feel to it. It feels like this is one of those bands. Don't get me wrong, the overall feel to the song is quite pleasant and relaxing, but it's still a little too goth-y for my tastes. I don't know what they're singing about, but the whole song feels like you'd play it after your girlfriend breaks up with you. That bias aside, it just doesn't feel like there's anything distinctive about this song. The main riff seems not much different from a hundred other recent doom bands I've heard. And the technically proficient vocals while lulling feel a little too sterile and emotionless.

EDIT: Damn someone already reviewed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uE1OMNGbYY
Omnium Gatherum ~ It Shines

Well the first thing I can say about this is that the vocals don't fit the song at all. Which kinda sucks because I have to admit I kind of like the little rolling rasp; it would work so well over harsher instrumentals. Here the instrumentals are pretty crisp and clear with the only oomph coming from a disappointing downtuned chugga-chugga. The lead guitar melody can really only be described as quaint. It's nice, but doesn't command attention. A good song to play in the background, but it's not very memorable.

And here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcec4Q_TBjY

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:49 pm 

The Lamp of Thoth - Witchcraft & The Law

The band's entry on the archives describes it as doom metal, but I'm not certain that this song fits the template. - the tempo's too fast, and the mood seems rather cheery to be quintessential doom. The guitar sound is spooky, but it's a cheery "Scooby-doo" approach to spookiness. It makes the track feel more mischiefous and fun than anything. The Vocals make me think of King Diamond, which seems to go well with the similar lyrical themes. It seemed catchy, and enjoyable, albeit not overly serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOS_wvfO2tA

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:27 am 

Hemoptysis-MOD

The melodic intro was quite misleading as the galloping thrash tempo melded with the leads in a rapid collusion, though the song is varied enough with the slower double bass buildup in the middle of the song. For me, the melodic death-esque vocals don't fit the faster touches of the music too well, though arguably as the song is melodic for a fan of the band's it isn't too much. The song stays busy for its six minute running time overall nothing to complain about. Good band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFSAyc7uCHY

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:00 am 

Urn - Possesed By Satan

Despite having one of the most confusing (and terrible) albums covers I have ever seen, these Finnish, alcohol fueled Blackthrashers certainly know how to construct some filthy, aggressive music. There be no subtlety here, just grimy, sweaty, head-down METAL, with more than the occasional nod to the Motörhead school of riffage, as well as other notorious names who have been around for some time. This bashes and crashes it's glorious way to hell with utter disregard for any highbrow notions, complete with a noisy, trashy solo and dirty, fat overdriven bass. Probably not for everyone, but for me, great stuff.

My turn again.

My collection

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Urn - Possesed By Satan

Despite having one of the most confusing (and terrible) albums covers I have ever seen, these Finnish, alcohol fueled Blackthrashers certainly know how to construct some filthy, aggressive music. There be no subtlety here, just grimy, sweaty, head-down METAL, with more than the occasional nod to the Motörhead school of riffage, as well as other notorious names who have been around for some time. This bashes and crashes it's glorious way to hell with utter disregard for any highbrow notions, complete with a noisy, trashy solo and dirty, fat overdriven bass. Probably not for everyone, but for me, great stuff.

My turn again.

Macabre Omen - Hellas-Ode A and B

I saw the name Macabre Omen and, not having heard them before, thought it would be some brutal death metal or blast happy black metal. I was pleasantly suprised to hear midpaced black metal with narration style vocals. Very catchy riffs and a great guitar sound. THEN at 3:00, the vocals really disappointed me. This could easily be a new favourite band for me if it wasn't for them. I will definately check the rest out though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF2Uqus0UEY
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:29 am 

Forefather - Brunanburh

The opening riff to this reminded me somewhat of Mother North, and actually held my attention, to keep me interested in the next passage of fast, tremolo (and highly melodic) riffing. This clips along quite nicely, building to the inevitable clean vocal chorus, which then becomes a repeated motif throughout the song, singing tales of valour and courage (no doubt). Unfortunately, I found these vocals rather dull, as they didn't really for my mind, help lift the song as much as I was expecting it to. The rougher, drier vocals were well suited to the music however, and the production values were excellent, but this band will not be going on a must hear list for me I'm afraid. Not bad, but not great either.

Change of mood now...

My collection

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:41 am 

Svartsyn - Archdemon of Binah

Swedish black metal that sounds more classic Norwegian. Unfortunately the year of this release is not written in the youtube link, but I'm guessing 2000-something. I remember this band as quite good old school-worshipping, and that's exactly what you get here, with a hint of the more recent Norwegian stuff like Code and Den Saakaldte. I loved the intro - very dark, chanting, 'shamanitic'-something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aem_jc6PoHM

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:15 am 

Mind-Ashes - Vortex of Correctness

My eyes instantly popped open as soon as I heard the first riff kick in. Man this song is just fucking awesome all the way through. I absolutely love how the guitars pull off excellent technical, thrashy riffs. The snare sound works perfectly on this song and the drumming is just great to listen to. The bass also does a great job back up the guitars as well. And the vocalist's mid-range to high vocals also fit perfectly. 10/10 for me I love this song and band now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6lv7lpI4S8

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:56 pm 

Gargoyle - Destroy (G Manual Version)

Impressive guitar tone and awesome organic, puncturing drum sound. Other than that, merely solid riffs, nothing really memorable and a bit chliché-ridden. Still, an energetic fast thrash song. Not too big on the vocals, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af_bPeMjR7Y

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 pm 

Island - River Source

This was not what I was expecting upon seeing the image on the youtube link, but instead was a pleasing surprise. Starting with a course, gravelly staccato riff, this pounds it's way along with wonderful momentum, then at around the 3:17 mark in comes this pulled-back, slower riff, changing the tempo up nicely. The drums underneath this blast away blissfully, until a skillfully done clean vocal section is introduced, creating a feeling of vast open space, complete with chiming non-distorted guitars chords. Like I stated earlier, this was indeed a surprise, and I've never heard them before, BUT it was a pleasant one. Would not mind hearing more. Very good.

Here we go again.

My collection

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:35 pm 

Hey, this topic is cool, don't let it die!

Tangorodrim - Justus Ex Fide Vivit

Unfortunately, I'm not into this kind of grim black metal. I usually favor more atmospheric stuff employing also a good sense of melody. This track is pretty oppressive and slow, characteristics which might be of interest for other fans. Its laden by a pretty unimpressive riff and doesn't employ a lot of time changes and there are no melodies or an elaborated sense of atmosphere, which in this case comes from the slow pace and from the cryptic, ancient-sounding production. The vocals sound vaguely reminescent of Tom G. Warrior. In fact, this song reminds me of "Procreation (of the wicked)", except it's slower and its main riff isn't nearly as captivating.

One of my favorite songs ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tCzb03qfAk

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:02 pm 

Suidakra - Bound in Changes

Very epic sounding and the folk influences add a nice twist to the music, without being cheesy. It seems intense, which is something I'm always happy to hear, and the vocals are cool, in a sort of power-metal meets death-metal way. The song has a lot going on in it too - and nothing gets stretched out for longer than is conducive to being an absorbing listen. The production is well polished, but doesn't sacrifice atmosphere to do so, which is a hard balance to strike. In addition to this, the cover art is fascinating. This is a band I may well listen to some more of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD7Mv9KLXeU

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:13 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

Root - The Old Ones

Uh. What was up with that intro? It sounded like it was going to be Spinal Tap's Stonehenge epic or something. In any case, this certainly doesn't sound like the early Root I'm familiar with. Very slow-paced, very-brooding, with a crisp, clear production. We do get a bit of a galloping pace towards the end, but really it just goes all over the place. In fact this song just shows a reckless disregard to any sense of coherency. There is a haunting atmosphere that doesn't ever relent, but ultimately the song lacks anything particularly memorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50a4u4u5 ... re=related

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:01 pm 

Torture - Deceiver

This was fucking cool! I know there is a vast multitude of Thrash bands out there that I have not heard over the years (these guys being one of them), which is a shame due to the quality of this track. What is on offer here is a sprawling, devastating Thrash epic - the riffs dive and slash, there are moments of dual harmonized runs (typical of most Thrash), and some absolutely pounding double bass sections kicking up massive clouds of dust. What I really liked about this though, was the snarling, and at times, deeper growling vocals, which added extra fuel to an already raging fire. This was magic, and the crawling outro riff was loaded with menace. Awesome, thank you!

Keeping things rolling...

My collection

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:13 am 

Hemoptysis: Totally did not expect the music to be so melodic, judging from the band name and cover art. I thought it was going to be some retarded slam death. Reminded me strongly of Skeletonwitch, with the melodeath/black-ish riffs, especially the beautiful harmonized lead section. One of the better thrash releases this year!

Nazxul - Amidst the Flames

This was pretty boring. They certainly had some good ideas, but they were all pretty forgettable. Furthermore, I think they could have developed the song more, as the ending was pretty abrupt. Generally, the instruments are neither bad nor good; just... decent. I'm not really sure what else to say since I can't actually remember much of the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQBid5Tj5eE
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:45 am 

Excommunion - Rendering The Demon Gate

Well, clocking in at nearly 8 minutes, it never really gets boring. Plenty of fast shit happening with some great riffs and even better drumming, then at 3:03 the song gets an awesome riff happening and it stays mid-tempo for basically the remainder, which I really can't complain about. Great song and I'll have to check these guys out further. Awesome and filth-ridden death metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwg0rtqI_g

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:13 am 

Altered Aeon - Dispirited Chambers.

Well, that was some of the heaviest riff-work I've listened to today. The production captures the heaviness nicely, so it's deep and quite brutal, but isn't muddy or anything detrimental like that. The vocals took me by suprise - I was expecting death-growls, and brutal ones at that, but the fairly melodic vocal approach was an enjoyable twist, and gave the song an epic feel to compliment it's heaviness. I definitely like stuff which sounds like this, and I wish I'd heard of the band sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG5fdhhDFLQ&feature=related

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:51 pm 

Solstice - The Sleeping Tyrant

Great song choice, Ancient_Sorrow. While notbeing my fave track from Solstice's (which is "Cimmerian Codex") "New Dark Age" album it's my second fave one. In "The Sleeping Tyrant" and the other album track's as well Solstice manage to create the perfect blend of doomy riffs and mournful, soaring guitar melodies. Combine that with absoluut top-notch vocal work and a again perfectly fitting drum section you just get one of the best examples for epic (no, wait EPIC!!!!!) doom metal. A further plus is that despite the song's length Solstice still manage to keep the listener not only interested but nearly enthralled by their majestic, melancholic and and somewhat mystical sound. This is how heavy doom metal should and has to be played!

my turn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-B8IbZNp6Ya

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 am 

grauer_mausling wrote:

Loits-Suudelda Neidu

To begin with, a question: why do they have a backwards isle of man symbol in their logo? This seems really weird considering they're supposed to be all Estonian patriotic, but in any case that's not really relevant for the review.

To begin with, I kinda like the hypnotic buzzsaw guitar riff that carries the entire song, but the clean, tortured Estonian vocals don't really work for me. Neither does that ghostly wail in the middle of the song. The strained, guttural harsh vox are a far better fit for the song. Those kind of vocals really accentuate the filthiness of the main riff. Aside from that, there's little to say except that the drumming was kind of boring, but it's hardly the focus of the song. Overall an okay track, but I wouldn't really listen to it personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHsLlRkflEc

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:55 am 

Hey, Thread! Long time no see (well a few days, but still); glad to see you've been keeping your momentum since then. Also, it's good to be back! :metal:

@Amerigo: Dude, why link to the CIA website for a flag image readily available on Wikipedia? Or, you know, anywhere else that isn't home to shady spies? That was a rather puzzling thing to do. :lol:

Amerigo wrote:

Heh, Grinder! cool. I bought their final album 'Nothing is Sacred' ages ago, and quite like it, but never bothered to explore their back catalog, including this EP. I have mixed feelings about this song, as I'd find it great if it wasn't for the weird-ass funky rap Primus/Faith No More like moments, which aren't bad per se, but seem really out of place due to their tongue-in-cheek, not-a-care-in-the-world spirit: this is otherwise a solid, highly emotional yet punishing post-apocalyptic thrash song, just like I'd expect from Grinder; very close to 'No Place For Disgrace' era Flotsam And Jetsam (like I remember them). Love the dry, neat, balanced production job, the chainsaw-like riffs, the beautifully dark intro arpeggio, the pissed-off yet quite melodic vocals (backed up by very potent gang shouts), and above all the superb break/solo section near the end. Good stuff!

Alright, how about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIFgkIrNss

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:33 am 

LegendMaker wrote:

No need to be so paranoid re: CIA. :p But glad you like Grinder. If you want something less experimental/funky, I highly recommend the other two Grinder full-lengths, especially Dawn for the Living.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 72  Next