* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:56 am 

@ CrushedRevelation:
Spoiler: show
If you liked that song, you should really check out the rest of the album. Their first album is really good too, albeit with a different (but almost as powerful singer). We will not speak of their utterly pointless third album.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:16 am 

Muknal-Rotting Genesis

The opening riff begins with an ominous Teitanblood-esque dirge/gloom buildup, and then invariably jumps into the faster pace you'd expect from this type of death metal. The difference being the production isn't as clean as bands such as Ignivomous who ape a similar sound (during the faster portions), and the band seems more focused with making slower riffs as around 3:08. The vocals are also not your typical Pillard aping and opt for a mixture of a Lee Dorian-esque bellow and during the first half of the song he attempts a glimmer of a black metal rasp. The drumming isn't your typical blast/down tempo drop like Incantation and he varies it up, and that adds its own distinct flair to an otherwise ho-hum occult dm sound. There isn't much to write home about here, Incantation did it first and Incantation did it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4hissKoYSs

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 am 

Assedium - March of the Hoplite.

It smells like epic metal! It smells like it's Italian or Greek (I'm guessing Italian, myself). Nice build-up, but the verses are quite clunky... I can't help but blame the production for this; the heavy parts seem much more irritating than the clean sections. The production has a cumbersome demo-ish quality to it, that doesn't really work material like this. It needs something a bit more polished, to be honest. The vocalist certainly is giving it some effort, but those mid-paced riffs just don't do it for me. There's potential here (especially with that vaguely Conklin-esque wail), but the guitarists really need a fire lighting under their arses; the first good riff came at around 3 minutes in and didn't stick around long enough. After the rather plain solos the song builds itself to a nice, if predictable conclusion, "WITH SWORD IN HAND". Eh, it's just isolated decent parts in a ho-hum song really.

It's by-the-book epic metal; certainly there are better bands doing this sort of stuff (in the same region, nonetheless). Definitely a whole lot of room for improvement here... but their hearts are in the right place, at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP4SPwsrDc8

Last edited by Acrobat on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:41 pm 

Inquisition - The Initiation

a bunch of people have recommended Inquisition to me, but never have really listened too much...so, here i go...the guitar tone is quite raw but at the same time, the mix is fairly good with no instrument drowning out others. The vocals are abit odd...its like a spoken word abbath style vocals....quite unique, but not sure if this would be bothersome listening to an entire album. I really dig the accoustic passages throughout the song, they have a folkish feel to them which i really wasn't expecting from the band, but I always like abit of variety in songs I like, and this is good. The drumming is kinda simple, but have a few good fills everynow and then. Underneath the rawish guitar tone, there are actually some decent riffs. ok, so I'm convinced to look into more material by the band. Is this album a good starting point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVvfvxDSDM

my last.fm

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:56 am 

Rise-Deathrow

The slower intro riff brings to mind some of the primitive knuckle dragging moments of bands such as Jungle Rot, and that guitar tone is crushing to say the least. Judging by the MA info these guys have been around for a while, and its a shame they don't use their skill to make the first two minutes a bit faster.The riff moves from a mid-paced Obituary-esque tempo to a few groove moments, and the double bass follows pace quite evenly and its back to that groove tempo again. The drumming really is the standout instrument as even during the slow crawl he keeps the song varied, after the solo kicks in the song is more or less already finished. A lackluster song from a band I'm sure is much better than this example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u9qNC9s ... re=related

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:43 am 

Veracs wrote:

Outlander - The Beckoning

Leave it to obscure as fuck (I'm assuming) heavy metal demos to finally bring Veracs and I together! This is really great man. I love the completely haggard, blown-out sound. Racing riffs propel us right out of the gate and let you know you're in for a treat. The vocalist has a DAMN impressive sound and range; if he didn't "make it" with this band I hope his talents landed elsewhere. Some of his acrobatics remind me of the guy who sang on the first Cauldron Born record, just a tad less unhinged. Blazing solos being fired back and forth under the somewhat Bay Area sounding breakdown...this song really has it all. Absolutely plan on listening to the other two tracks. And not for nothin', but that cover is ridiculously cool.

Apologize if this has been posted before, but I'm obsessing at the moment...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:21 pm 

Borrowed Time - Sailors on the Sea of Fate

Starts off with a sample and some awesome classical sort of stuff with a vibe that screams viking. All good so far. After that we get some pretty awesome leads followed by a kick ass riff. The only disappointment from this song is the vocals. They are just to damn high pitched. I mean they're not unlistenable or anything, but I just can't get into them. The songwriting is great. The solo near the end is awesome - melodic, fast paced and catchy; this guy knows what the fuck hes doing. Although I don't love the vocals, this song is still pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX5vjhHWepw

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:12 pm 

Black Moth - Honey Lung

Quite trippy doom, this is. It somewhat reminds me of a messier (?) SubRosa with quite a bit of sludge in it. It's not bad..... But it doesn't get my motors running either. The guitar work is the most impressing thing by far, being very overwhelming in it's power, and the fact that the guitar tone is akin to the result of Tony Iommi's riffs being possesed by the spirit of All That Is Fuzzy And Huge really helps. Just all out vicious and imposing, and of course, the riffs themselves are quite a bit of a treat. The arabesque leads that appear once in a while also contribute sort of an exotic vibe to the whole which, if not strictly necessary, is always welcome. The rest of the band isn't as impressive though, starting with the singer (a female, I assume) who, despite having interesting vocal lines, well..... Let's just say her actual voice isn't as good as her singing. I mean, you can be a good singer with a not-so-good voice, get me? And that's the case for this chick. The rhythm section? It's just kinda there honestly, and the songwriting seems amateurish to me, because the band just appears to be trying to (unsuccessfully) cram a lot of different passages in one single piece that is too short to do so and still remain coherent. I'd suggest to either stretch the song so every section has it's time to shine, or simplify it. Really, in the end, this didn't truly move me, and I don't believe more listens will change my opinion of it.

Found this thanks to the Danny Elfman thread in the Rec Central. Love it.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:29 pm 

Mechanical Poet - Stormchild

When I first saw the album cover, what I would expect it to be is another band attempting to be another jazz avant garde metal band. What I wouldn't expect it to be bone crushing power metal ala Symphony X, but heavier! This is power metal with a huge groove feel like later Symphony X and the vocals is a less gruffy version of Mustaine. This song reminds you why people still listen to power or prog metal. There's still hope and not all bands of those genre fell into the conventional trap of Flower Metal that's barely metal. When the first riff kick in, I know it's an extremely good treat, and I recommend everyone reading to click it. It's been sometime since I've listen to a decent power/prog band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78WzEl1nrYs

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:53 pm 

@ScratchMyBack:
Glad you liked the song dude, but let me tell you something; it's not really representative of the album as a whole, and it's by far the heaviest tune in it. The record is still pretty cool though, if you like experimental prog stuff.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:24 pm 

Glorior Belli - They Call Me Black Devil

Of all the stuff I've clicked on and listened to as a part of this thread, this has got to be the most unexpected thing I've come across. What I thought I'd be getting myself into was just another black metal track to listen to, drone on about, then move on. But what am I greeted with instead? I guess you could call it blackened stoner metal, with emphasis on the stoner part. The utterly stupid sound sample in the beginning of the song left me with and uneasy feelings that I'd have run into a pile of shit, but thankfully, that's far from the case. The guitar riffs are the lead instrument here, and they reek of High on Fire influence, with a hint of the blues, which isn't a bad thing. In fact, this song seems more stoner/bluesy than it does black metal. The only remotely black metal parts in the entire song are the raspy vocals, and the blasting that takes off for a short while around 2:45. Given the way both genres at work here can be repetitive and completely immersible, this should be a grand slam the likes of which nobody has seen before. But, it doesn't quite hit that mark and winds up as an interesting experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9_rIANV9k

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 am 

Dave_o_rama wrote:

Despite youtube's attempt to ruin completely the sound here with some strange, washed-out weirdness, I made the whole way through this. Unfortunately for me, this was not an enjoyable listen (well it would be if you like it nice'n'clean), as the vocals when the chimed in were awful. This is what's wrong with melowmetal or whatever you want to call this dross - bad vocals. Ultimately these hurt the bands in every way, almost as much as the lukewarm guitars and soft as butter song structure. This is candy. Pure sugary, teeth hurting candy. Not good. This has no bite to it, the chorus and the painful (not in a good way) wailing of what sounded like "nothing will heal me" was bloody terrible, and I suppose this is trying to convey a feeling of helpless abandon or something, but ended up being a parody of said emotions. The music itself was alright I guess, but never convincing, or interesting really.

Going back in time now...

My collection

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 am 

Malevolent Creation - Slaughter of Innocence

As ever is the case with this thread, the band in question is one which, while I've heard of it, I haven't listened to before. The first impression I get is that of a very intense, well-produced death-metal onslaught. The tone is a bit insipid, but that's equally, if not more-so the case with bands like Death, which I enjoy nonetheless, so this is certainly something which my taste will eventually absorb. The song is relatively memorable and laden with occasional hooks which is helpful, as I'm put-off a lot of death metal by the fact that I can never remember the songs with much ease. My knowledge if death-metal may be lacking, but to summarise, it seems to be quite traditional death-metal, done well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQuL1a7ivA

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 pm 

Overkill - Playing With Spiders/Skullkrusher

I had just started getting into Thrash when this came out, and although I listen to a range of thrash bands from Toxik to Morbid Saint, Overkill was one of those bands that just never grabbed me like others did....

The intro is kinda cool, some weird eeire sounds...once the riffing starts, sounds like a doom band rather than a thrash band with some slow heavy riffs. The one thing that always bothered me with Overkill was Bobby Blitz...I can't point to something exactly, but I just don't like his vocals, which is unfortunate as musically Overkill is pretty good. about half way through, the song transitions from the slow doom style to something you'd expect in thrash, however, I feel that I've heard better riffs from Overkill in other songs. There are a couple pretty good solos that work with the song. In the end, I feel the song just dragged on abit too much, and its not because of the pace as one of my favourite Overkill songs (Horrorscope) also is of slower tempo. So although this song isn't for me, I haven't listend to OVerkill in a few years so a reminder for me to listen to songs of theirs that i do like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRQb2lMv7p0

my last.fm

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 pm 

Diabolical Masquerade - Haunted by Horror

Avant-garde black metal, huh? This certainly is weird and out-of-the-ordinary, but I have to admit this is just getting better and better witch each listen. After a calm introduction we're dropped into a world of symphonic and melodic black metal that makes up the first portion of the song. It probably wouldn't sound of out place on an Emperor or Dissection CD. Then, out of nowhere, we get a few bluesy riffs that wouldn't sound out of place on an early Black Sabbath album. Strange? Yes. But it works brilliantly. After a short piano interlude, we go back into full-blast black metal mode for a short while, with a sweet melody to follow short after. All this within the first half or so of the song. The second half uses the same riffs and passages, but mixes them up a bit. There is so much going on in these 7 minutes, it's almost incomprehensible. But it's simply awesome. Despite the fact that this is apparently the last track of its album, it seems to cut off prematurely. Probably Youtube's fault, but it just seems like an unfulfilling ending. No big deal though, as I'll be looking into these guys immediately.

Now for a different kind of awesome.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:01 pm 

Exhumed- The Matter Of Splatter

first off, glad you liked the Diabolical Masquerade song..the entire Nightwork album is great to check out!

I'm not normally into bands with any grind in them, but figured might as well, take a listen, I could end up enjoying it. after the solid initial riff to the song, we're greeted by a nice powerful growl/scream. The song then moves to guitars then kinda move to a chugging style with alternating vocals. Some higher growls and some really deep gutterl growls one would think of grind. It seems like the band takes the grindcore and death metal eras of Carcass and mix them into one song as musically, its still quite melodic, but the deeper vocals are definitely closer to grindcore. A solo is added in near the end of the song, and its quite good, but seems like its jsut thrown in for the sake of adding something. Anyways, not a bad song, definitely some elements i enjoy. I would like the riffs in general, and the higher vocals appeal to me more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHIsalgYRA

my last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:57 pm 

Hypocrisy - Killing Art

For some reason Hypocrisy is always a band I've overlooked. I think I heard a few songs by them when I was 14, thought they where decent enough and then promptly forgotten about them. For some reason I always had them pegged as generic formula-following death metal. Well, looks like I was wrong. First off, the tremolo riffing kicks monolithic amounts of ass. The song is excellent death metal that never lingers around generic territory. The brief (near) psychedelic break section is cool, if only for variety, and the melodic section with deep chants is really cool. All in all, I'm impressed. I might give these guys a spin the next time I'm in the mood for discovering new death metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTYoukK ... re=related

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am 

@dystopia4
I used to think the same thing about Hypocrisy. Then i listened to their earlier albums w Tägtgren on vocals like The Fourth Dimension and Abducted (my two favourites by them)and gave me a whole new appreciation of the band. Their really early stuff like Penetralia and Osculum Obscenum are really heavy, but became abit more melodic when Tägtgren took over vocal duties. Some of their more recent releases are abit generic melodeath but still good

my last.fm

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 am 

Acid Bath-Venus Blue

The song starts off in a much more melodic tone than anything off of When the kite string pops. Dax's vocals have that odd reverb that they usually do, except around the second part of the song it sounds as if he's slightly drunk. The vocals deviate around 2:30 from the Dax's usual spoken delivery to his high pitched screams, and then gets a bit Pantera-esque with that riff 3:30. The riffing overall peaked with that heavier deviation from the acoustic parts in the middle of the song, and there really isn't much to say about it except the song is your average Acid Bath filler song. Decent and nothing more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhtUodiii8o

Under_Starmere wrote:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:11 am 

Agent Steel - The Swarm is Upon Us / Mad Locust Rising

The A. Steel, dude! Vintage, unbeatable speed metal from the US of A! Hell, I'm glad I caught this one, because what we have here is nothing less than the classic Mad Locust Rising EP, a little yet nice jewel to add to one's collection. So, I'll get the only bad thing out of the way now so I can praise this to the heavens; the production is rather iffy, the guitars having a strange muffled sound (instead of the crystal clear, sharp tone they deserve), plus the double bass is annoyingly buried in the mix. Thus, the sound, while not unintelligible, is certainly bothersome (the absence of a bass is kinda redundant at this point, so I won't spend time on that). Now, with that defect covered, allow me elaborate on the very piece, which is a fine standard for speed metal in general, with a backing rhythm section that limits itself to doing it's job while the forefront is left to the guitars and vocals. And what a forefront! The combined shredding power of Bernie Versailles and Juan García is a force to be reckoned with, and I'd only put them a step behind Dynamic Duos such as K.K. Downing / Glenn Tipton or Hank Sherman / Michael Denner. This is pure, ravaging metal my people! With riffs that slash through concrete and solos that turn castles into debris. And of course, there's the frontman (and certificate nutjob) John Cyriis, who's unmistakable tone and mannerisms are quite divisive. Not for me though, as I love this guy! His phrasing, completely paranoid and hasty, fits like a glove the apocalyptic messages and supernatural conspiracies he writes about, and who could forget about his godly high register? Because even though he doesn't show off much in here, there are still a couple of sustained high notes that could put to shame many professional singers. Seriously my compadres, just go and listen to his "Locust and PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGUES!!!" line and tell me that's not badass.

So yeah, I love this. My turn!

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 pm 

Herman Frank: "Moon II"

Woa, guitars guitars guitars! This thing busts right out of the guest with some shredding leads, and the guitars are very firmly dominating the entirety of the piece as it goes on. This is pretty much the way it ought to be for metal, so I'm not complaining. The other guys pull their weight, especially the singer, who brings the Dio-like tone with some aplomb, but they're clearly not the focus of this beast. I like how the band executes what seems to be a speed metal number, tempo-wise, and yet the guitars often are playing chords of longer durations (whole notes) and not simply chugging along with the drums...it makes for an interesting contrast, and it doesn't sound lazy because the chords used often sound a bit unconventional and have a unique flavour to them. The chorus rather reminds me of maiden's "The Clairvoyant". Talking of lack of bass, I can't hear any here, and I think a bass presence would help bolster this a little, particularly in the sections where the vocals take prominence...all the low end is taken up by the drums, and they don't quite seem adequate to the task. The solo section before the last chorus is really long, but it rips and is generally melodically impressive. I'm thinking I might check out a little more of this guy's stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRz1s7fpWs0
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:25 pm 

Dead Brain Cells - The Genesis Explosion

Before I say anything, let me just point out that youtube badly fucked up the quality on the video you linked to, Abominatrix. I wound up listening to this one instead.

For a dosage of traditional thrash/speed metal, the likes of which I don't really listen to that often, this goes by pretty quickly. After a small but nice build up, we're greeted with a mid paced traditional riff and the vocals, which are at the same time, the song's strongest point and it's most annoying part. Their cold, mechanical feel does a lot to create a space-ish/alien/unearthly atmosphere for the song. But, at the same time, they just don't sound good at all. I'm not sure how to feel about them, honestly. The instruments mostly plod along until about the two and a half minute mark, and then things start to pick up. From here on out, it's mostly grinding guitars trading blows with the occasional vocal lines, but you hear even hear some tremolo picking (!) at around 2:45. The guitars really shine at the end of the song, with a great solo around 3:30 and a perfect lead to end the song on. The drums also do some interesting things when the guitars aren't shining, but I'd like it if they were pushed back just a hair or two in the mix. Overall, I really enjoyed this, even though I now have a strange sudden desire to listen to Nocturnus's The Key...

Now to completely change direction...

Last edited by Dave_o_rama on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:27 pm 

@Abominatrix:
Glad you liked that song, Abom! That album, and it's sequel, Right in the Guts, have been getting a lot of praise in the heavy/power/speed metal thread as of late, and as you can hear, it's justified! I highly recommend both Herman Frank albums, and although the second one isn't as ripping or urgent as the debut, it's still a terrific listen. Again, good to know you enjoyed the piece :thumbsup:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm 

@Dave

Woa, you're right, there's a weird phasing noise throughout that entire video. Weird. Well, gald you found a better one...

As for D.B.C., I hadn't heard them before a couple of years ago when I happened to catch them live, and they blew me away. I'm only just now getting round to acquiring their albums, and they're every bit as pleasing as I hoped they would be. The guitarwork is really interesting and unique, though inviting comparisons to Voivod, for sure. More solos, for one thing, which I really like....

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:20 pm 

The Few Against Many - Blod

At first when I heard the synths, the orchestra hits, it was so cheesy, and the first thing in my head this might be another Children of Bodom clone. I thought I might first hear Alexi Laiho-esque vocals and I normally cringe at his vocals (I hate Bodom's later albums). Turns out the vocals remind me of what you normally hear in Brutal Death records but transplanted to a Melodeath band. The guitars are standard melodeath fair but during the verses were pretty good. They could've been put to better use. Just when I was about to headbang my way through the song, it then fades out when I expected another kickass solo. Melodeaths with good leads to me are the best, and this clearly isn't. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this track with furious anger, I just felt that it could be better rather than sounding average.

The band could be better if they don't use that cheesy synthy intro in the beginning and put it to better use and if the song was faster. Melodeath is hard to sell since it's over saturated and this is one of those bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZYhQCS-gw

Last edited by ScratchMyBack on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:26 pm 

Veracs about Venus Blue: " there really isn't much to say about it except the song is your average Acid Bath filler song. Decent and nothing more." uhhhhmmmm....what?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:34 pm 

@ Necro:

I know it may be incomprehensible to you, but we don't all worship Acid Bath...

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 pm 

I'm not so sure if I should put a bump so that thread goes up again or not.

@Dave_o_rama
I'm glad you like Glorior Belli. The band uses a lot of the blues scales in their Black Metal. Check out their last two albums. It's filled with tracks like that. I'm actually trying to find more bands that play like this and I hope it just doesn't die out and become obscure in history.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:10 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZYhQCS-gw

Rudra- Twilight of Duality

Little bit of a ritualistic intro going on before hell breaks loose at 0:40 and the music starts off in a great thrash/death way. The riffs just fly by and it helps that the guitartone it quite vicous so to speak. Vocals consistent of a sharp, aggressive rasp that sound controled but powerful too and somehow remind me of latter Necrophobic. The drums sound pretty bombastic, but fortunately not loud enough to ruin anything which really helps. The song carries a middle eastern vibe along which I dig. Nice chaotic guitarsolo in the middle...I dig this. Didn't expect these guys to be from Singapore actually. Anyway, this is some solid stuff. Nice thrash/death metal that just screams metal.

Last one by this band, I promise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQYiJQZPJPs

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:12 pm 

Paradise Lost-To the darkness

Quite possibly the most upbeat intro I've heard for a Paradise lost song, granted I've only heard Draconian times and Gothic from this band. The riff reminds me of a more well-produced upbeat moment from Cathedral albeit with a more mainstream oriented vocalist, as the chorus and clean production are more aimed to the gothic metal sound. The crystalline production benefits the drums which sound clear in the background and thankfully the song changes pace around 2:26 for a glimpse of the Paradise Lost we all know. The biggest obstacle for me in the song is just how conventional the vocals sound, he reminded me more of Hetfield at times especially on Draconian times and here he just does nothing for me. After the solo the song goes back to the higher tempo and you can hear tinges of the band's older guitar tone, I'm guessing this is more or less an average to decent track from the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6UcnibkY8

Under_Starmere wrote:

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:58 pm 

@Colin040

Yeah, the band's Singaporean but the band's members are of Indian descent. Probably 3rd generation immigrants that the British brought over. 3/4 of the Island are of Chinese or other Asian ethnic descent.

Quote:

Ancient Rites-Mother Europe

When I saw the tag folk, I was expecting some flutes to come in or something. The intro starts with some old school heavy metal kind of leads which suddenly changes to a black metal-esque tremolo riff but not as "raging" or "hateful" of the normal Black Metal we normally hear. Comes of pretty tame. The vocals are raspy black metal vocals, but I like the fact it didn't descent into another shriekfest. The only parts that's black metal to me were the verses. The others were borderline melodeath or folk metal. I was expecting some folk instruments here none came out. Not a disappointing outcome but it's kinda what you might what to listen to when you listen to folk metal. Overall, it's something I would enjoy listening from time to time but not something I would actively search. Then again, I'm not the folk metal kind of guy.

Now, let's get weirder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkXSqTWz_3Y

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:

Gigandhi - Gigandhi

Maaaaaaaan, I have the worst timing getting into this rotation. I feel like the mini-review version of a Secret Service officer, jumping infront of song-bullets to save you fucks. This is just awful. What makes it so much harder to swallow is that the intro is actually somewhat neat (other than that really irritating "bloop" sound). I mean, its not great, but it at least reminded me that I need to listen to Amon Duul II more. After about a minute and a half of vaguely eastern sounding lead-in a REALLY listless and unfortunate riff comes in with the limpest-dick of guitar tones, coupled with this angsty shouting...christ. I've listened to the song twice in full and I simply can't do it again. There is one riff that pops up twice in this seven minute song that didn't make me embarrassed for the band, at around the 4:02 mark and again towards the very end of the song. It's not a good riff mind you, sounding like some kind of Broken Bones throwaway material, but with a stiff rapid downpick it at least sounds somewhat threatening. Everything else about this song is just woeful. You couldn't pay me to listen to a full album by these goofs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAXx-91_as

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 am 

:lol:, Jonpo, always taking one for the team. I admit that if I notice a song is pretty long and it doesn't seem very likable I usually don't end up finishing/reviewing it. But somebody still needs to show these fuckers what's what! :P

The Lamp of Thoth: "Blood on Satan's Claw"

Hey, Blood on Satan's Claw...that's a cool movie! I wasn't expecting this song to have anything but a dirgey, foreboding atmosphere of a sort of monkish variety, but in reality this couldn't be further from the truth! This is fuzzed out and dirty sounding, like doom played by a punk rock band. Actually, the guitar tone reminds me of Kyuss and bands like that. The vocals are terrible, yet pretty appropriate, I have to admit. Still, that chorus is only really fun the first couple of times. I like the loud, farty and kind of intoxicated sounding basswork, the rough production, and the raunchy guitar solo near the end is pretty cool. Given the bandname and song title, I guess I expected something a bit more serious. Come to think of it though, I'd heard these guys before and did get the sense that they had a penchant for being absurd louts. The song isn't really memorable in a good way though, for me; I mean, that chorus gets stuck in your head, but they make it sound like a schoolyard chant. :lol: Dunno about this, but I"ll listen to the band some more.

Well, I hope this one wasn't posted before...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INzk5ZCZ1xE

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 am 

Hahah yeah, you accurately pinned that song down. I just recently was turned onto The Lamp of Thoth by Count_V on our trip to WoM. It was pretty much "love at first listen" for me. Funnily enough he said that nearly everyone he's played the band for has ended up disliking them for one reason or another (lack of seriousness has been a recurring complaint). I don't know man, I really just love everything I've heard from them (mostly the same demo this song came from, "I Love the Lamp"). They certainly don't take themselves too seriously, but this is one of their more over-the-top goofy songs. You'd probably get a lot more enjoyment out of a track like Wings of Doom or Pagan Daze if you wanted to give them another shot.

I think I must have been deprived of some schoolyard chanting as a boy because I seriously can't get enough of that chorus. I fall asleep singing it to myself and wake up with it on the brain.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:47 am 

Celestial Season - Soft embalmer of the still midnight

Never really listened to this band before...opens up with a sound gives quite a somber mood. The riffs behind the Violin are actually quite heavy and done well, but the overall mood of the song is just really relaxing. I'm getting abit of a Draconian vibe to it. The growls are somewhat hidden in the mix and seem to be a background instrument in the song. The string bridge section in the middle continues the somber mood of the song, but to me lasts a little bit too long. I do enjoy the some of the guitar work and strings....but by the end of the song, I was just feeling tired...Maybe thats what the atmosphere of the song does to me...or maybe its cause I'm at work :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOeZpABvgok

my last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:53 am 

Falkenbach - Of Forest Unknown

For the whole black/viking/folk thing, these guys are huge, and yet I've never gotten to checking them out. I know its silly, but a lot of times when I don't like the name I'll put off checking out the band (same thing happened with Norwegian death metal band Molested.) Anyway, this is pretty good. This ones mostly just black metal. The tremolo riffs are often very melodic, but not in a sugary sort of way. Pretty accessible, but thats not always a bad thing. Also, the powerchord riff that is used about halfway in adds some nice variety. In all, a cool song. Maybe I'll get around to checking out one of their albums now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agfrGUA7eow

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:25 am 

@dystopia4
just to warn you, this is one of Falkenbach's fastest and one that is primarily Black Metal songs, so don't expect alot like this. However, the folky BM style he normally plays is good stuff, I'd check out the "Heralding" and "...Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri..." albums

my last.fm

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:44 pm 

Deathevokation - Acherontic Epitaph

This song kind of saddens me, because what it is at heart, death metal with a load of traditional metal influence, should have me jumping for joy and giggling like a schoolgirl. But, instead, it's just really boring. The very things that make traditional metal catchy and fun are lost when done with heavier guitars and second-rate barks, and that's what plagues this track. All the riffs here are par for the course, but about as exciting as watching paint dry. The bass is (surprise!) inaudible and the drums don't really do a whole lot of interesting things here. Their double-bass happy intro caught my attention for being something different in death metal, but that's the only thing that caught my attention. And it doesn't get any more exciting the more you listen to it. Putting together traditional metal and death metal has worked before (see early In Flames), so this had a legitimate shot at being completely amazing, but... nope. Nothing but boredom awaits here.

While I'm on this subject...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 pm 

Saying Deathevokation is boring and then posting an In Flames song of all things, one of the most boring "extreme" metal bands ever to exist? :nono:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:10 pm 

In Flames - Upon an oaken Throne

First thing to say is that the song barely shows any meaningful variation. In typical In Flames fashion it takes one simple theme and tempo and then adds rock/metal cliches to make things entertaining: Riffs that just sound way too familiar, different mixes of instrumentation, variations of the main riff and so on. While greater artists might use those purposefully to create interesting narratives, In Flames use them to add random variation to their expectation-serving blur. Little of the song is memorable, the only thing that remains is a certain taste of metal-ish-ness - metal as a flavour rather than a way of thinking/creating. With different premises this could maybe have been a good hardcore punk song, but because it tries to be metal it fails.

Okay, I'm probably willfully ignoring some things that may or may not be good about this song, but I really don't like In Flames...

Now some band from my area:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRYr3eEo4RU
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 72  Next