Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:58 am 

Quote:
«Sôl austan, Mâni vestan» will feature ≈58 minutes of instrumental electronic music, that can best be described as relaxing, slow-paced, contemplative and very much original. You have not heard anything like this before, although we can compare it to other electronic music, such as Software and perhapsTangerine Dream too, both from the 1980ies — and I guess to old electronic Burzum music as well.

His blog post: http://ancestralcult.com/2013/02/24/bur ... -the-moon/

Last edited by ~Guest 285196 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:05 am 

This guy should stop releasing shitty music once per year, especially under the band name. He should create a new project instead of throwing the name "Burzum" into the mud
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 am 

I wouldn't be surprised if he's done with metal, he seems to be going down that route.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 am 

Sounds fine, Tangerine Dream rocks.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:01 am 

So it's going to be an instrumental album, ey? Eh, I don't know how I feel about this. Dauði Baldrs is a interesting album for sure, but it's not something I would listen to on a regular basis..... and I'm not the biggest fan of completely instrumental albums anyway. Ofcourse we don't yet know how it's going to sound, but color me not excited.

Yet.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:06 am 

The ambient/electronic pieces on his metal albums were fantastic. Channelling..., Han som reiste, Tomhet and even the 25min monster Rundtgåing... were all haunting pieces of beauty and atmosphere. But the two albums, Dauði Baldrs and Hliðskjálf, bored me to tears.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 am 

I was beginning to think he was done with music. Instrumental music will be a change, I look forward to seeing if it's a welcome one.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 pm 

Since I'm a fan of both ambient/electronic music and metal (especially black metal), I'm a keyboard/synth player go figure, I'm actually looking forward to this. I know new Burzum just can't capture the feeling of original Burzum, and I know that alot of metal heads especially those mostly in to death metal, are anti-electronic to the high degree, but I for one am looking at this very enthusiastically. I wonder if it's going to lean more towards dark ambient, or a lighter ambient style.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33 pm 

I bet my life this is better than Ulver.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:45 pm 

Nice, I'm up for this. I've been down with each of the post-prison albums and it should be cool to listen to some fully ambient stuff from Varg again.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:12 pm 

Might be better than the shit he put out as of late.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:26 pm 

Quote:
58 minutes of instrumental electronic music
I'll have to pass on this one. Agree with the previous poster, he shouldn't even be using the name anymore.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:30 pm 

Blut Aus Nord - What Once Was... Liber I

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:00 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Blut Aus Nord - What Once Was... Liber I

:lol: I think you were looking for the "Now Playing" thread. This is exactly what happens when you just post stuff in that thread without reading other people's posts or expanding on your own post. :grumble:

Regarding, Burzum...the last album of his that I listened to was 'Fallen'. I think it did justice to it being just another not-so-spectacular-ambient album. I will probably check this album out only because of the halo effect of Burzum's legacy.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:06 pm 

Yeah! Daudi Baldrs part two! :roll:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:

A guy dicking around on his laptop can sound better than all Ulver, awful shite.

I don't really know what to expect with this Umskiptar was a highly ambitious piece, and definitely his most interesting work since the ambient albums and Belus was fine too. If you've read any of his writings (which most of you pan) he dislikes the metal scene of today, and its only obvious since Fallen that he has a desire to move further away from it. This album is just a further expanding of his creativity, and I'll enjoy it but it wont be making any top ten list.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:23 pm 

Looking forward to this I love everything Varg has done post-prision and look forward to this all synth album!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 pm 

Pretty sure it will be better then the shitty metal stuff he is releasing nowadays

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 pm 

I liked both Belus and Fallen quite a bit. He's been shifting more and more to a "skaldic" metal style (really good genre "nickname" for what Fallen felt like) and I can't say it's a bad thing. The days of old are long gone, he's a different person, for the most part, and isn't going to ever be able to re-capture the black magic of an album like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss ever again. At least I seriously doubt it.... so I think it's good that he's experimenting with new styles and sounds.

I also didn't find Dauði Baldrs to be particularly bad, just average ambient music. Nothing to get upset or offended by at all, but I don't listen to it very often. His non-metal stuff on his predominately metal albums were some of the best stuff he's ever done ("Tomhet" especially).

But I am always interested in anything Burzum, so I will definitely give this a listen at some point. Perhaps this will be a second coming of sorts and he will find a new niche he can excel at. I know one person who will be very happy to hear about this annoucement: John_Sunlight. Where you at!?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 pm 

not a Burzum fan but the fact that he knows and talks about the band Software peaked my interest.
Great ambient/synth music from the early 80s, way more unknown than the also phenomenal Tangerine Dream.
Think I will at least take a listen...

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:13 pm 

Instrumental electronic music? This could actually prove interesting. Time will tell.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 pm 

and for those interested - this is the band Software:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ZNkA29udE

I recced them in some of the ambient/electronic threads here on MA some years ago.
As I wrote above - it's great ambiental music from the early eighties. Check them out ;)

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:19 pm 

This is interesting, I was kind of worried that post-incarceration he was just going to pop out a decent (but not great) black metal album once a year. I think he could pull this off.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:23 pm 

I love his ambient stuff, especially Hliðskjálf, so if it's anything like that I'll be happy.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:25 pm 

I'll be bypassing this thing.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:35 am 

As many other posters have said, I happen to love ambient electronic in the Tangerine Dream vein, so I'll definitely give this a listen. Wasn't Varg really limited in his set-up for the prison albums? I think he only used a MIDI on the first ambient record, and I don't think he used much else for the second. It'll be interesting to see what complement of equipment he chooses to work with for this record.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:30 am 

Awesome, new Burzum is always something to look forward to, dispite all criticism I'm yet to be disapointed with any of Varg's releases under the Burzum name...

My only concern with this one is that after reading his post on the ancestral cult site regarding this upcoming release I worry it may just be some backing music he threw together for their forebears film and he saw this additional "soundtrack" release merely as an extra opportunity to "put food on the table"?? ...but knowing Varg I'm sure this music will be thought out enough to stand on it's own merit too... I hope:) anyway looking forward to this one regardless...

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:49 am 

I'll definitely listen to this as electronic and ambient music is more my passion then just black metal, but I can't say that I'm excited. His previous un-ambient-ambient-albums are ridiculously dull and amateur and not in a good way. I feel that his current rate of album release is going overboard. Does he record and release everything that he is writing? Perhaps he needs an external editor who could have told him to release only the good 5% of Umskiptar.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 am 

And here I thought we'd never have to hear an electronic Burzum album again.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 am 

This sounds interesting to me. First of all, this means Varg will have more time to release another metal album(if he wants), one album per year doing the same thing is not the best idea.

Secondly, Hliðskjálf was great(not Daudl which was a complete shit) and another tracks were interesting too. I think it can be an interesting project, let him the opportunity of sharing some tunes from this project and we will judge.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:40 am 

Veracs wrote:
vengefulgoat wrote:

A guy dicking around on his laptop can sound better than all Ulver, awful shite.

It might just be me, but I absolutely loved Perdition City, but to each their own I guess.
As for this, I have hopes for it, I just hope that Varg hasn't bitten off more than he can chew.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 am 

katatonia47 wrote:

It might just be me, but I absolutely loved Perdition City, but to each their own I guess.
As for this, I have hopes for it, I just hope that Varg hasn't bitten off more than he can chew.

My first impression with Perdition city was terible, but I think I downloaded a bad version or something like that, because some time later I listened to the album again and now I really like it. A very "urban album", very suitable to listen to it when your are walking at night.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 am 

I will also be interested in hearing this. His early ambient pcs such as Tomhet were quite excellent in the genre. The last few albums have done nothing for me and the so called ambient tracks on those were total shit so I hope he sticks to his words and keeps it based on this early works.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:15 am 

Asti78 wrote:
This guy should stop releasing shitty music once per year, especially under the band name. He should create a new project instead of throwing the name "Burzum" into the mud

I agree.

STORMM wrote:
I will also be interested in hearing this. His early ambient pcs such as Tomhet were quite excellent in the genre. The last few albums have done nothing for me and the so called ambient tracks on those were total shit so I hope he sticks to his words and keeps it based on this early works.

And I agree too.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:22 am 

Stabwound wrote:
And here I thought we'd never have to hear an electronic Burzum album again.

You don't "have" to hear anything you don't want to. :p

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 am 

My guess is that its gonna suck. But I dont know

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:31 am 

Why should he change the band name? As long as he made music intended to be released under the Burzum name, why would he change bloody name? I never got this logic. I've seen the same opinions being made about Theatre of Tragedy, Ulver, Darkthrone,..., and every other popular band that does not make every album in the same style (which, of course, does not need to be bad).

ForNaught wrote:
You don't "have" to hear anything you don't want to. :p

This is the truth! Varg can't destroy the Burzum name, not unless you let him. Everyone can still break out Filosofem or Hvis lyset tar oss anytime they want, and ignore everything that came after.

And no, I'm not saying that you're not allowed to launch criticism.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 pm 

After taking a gander at his blog, I'm not particularly interested in anything this guy does anymore. I mean, I think it was pretty well-known he's been the Mayor of Crazy Towne for quite some time, but I hadn't realised he was that far gone. In other words, I won't be putting my hard-earned dollars (kronor?) towards providing a soapbox for his paranoia any more.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 pm 

Yeah, reading anything from Varg, from the past few years especially, he really is bonkers beyond all recognition. I just love the music.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm 

I'm not sure if I should be pleased with this thread because of the possibility of this being leagues better than Vargs last electronic stuff, or his latest ablums for that matter, or if I should be deeply disappointed with this thread because the posters here aren't even enlightened by Ulver's electronic music. Seriously, when did that harsh standards develop?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next