Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TooBrute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:47 pm 

What do you guys think of bands who wear their own band merch / shirts during photoshoots, music videos, live performances, etc?

I was discussing this topic with a few friends online and it seemed pretty divided

Some thinking it's cheesy and narcissistic and others who say it is a smart way of self promotion

Examples:
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:52 pm 

Hey they have to. No one makes money on CD sales any more.

Japanese artists have an interesting habit. For the encore, the whole band will put on the tour shirt and play the encore(s) wearing that shirt. Good way to show it off to the crowd.

I don't begrudge a band trying to make a living off its music.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:56 pm 

I've always felt a band should do a mix, and that's pretty much what you find with every early Thrash and Death band in the 80's and 90's. They'd invariably have one guy wearing one of their shirts, while the other guys wore different bands.

Frankly, when a band is getting to the point that they can have T-shirts and shit printed, I think they should be proud of that, and want to show it off. Fucking good for them.

CadenZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:27 pm 

Wear whatever you like is my take on it. I think it looks a bit silly when all band members wear the same band shirt - and it doesn't matter what band it is, their own or not - the sameness makes it look like a uniform, and a cheap one at that. But that's plain aesthetics, and has nothing to do with wearing your own logo.

I personally don't feel like wearing my own band's shirts, but that's just me and I don't look down on anyone of the opposite persuasion. I guess I'd rather communicate another nuance of myself, as in my musical taste, rather than stating the obvious (if someone sees me onstage or in a band photo, they already know what band I'm a part of).

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:41 pm 

Cronos does this quite frequently I've noticed, which I'm not sure if it's a thing where he just really fucking loves being in Venom or what, but it's not like he simply has nothing else to wear on stage/in photo shoots. I once saw an interview of Venom where he had on a Venom shirt, before doing a show where he changed into a different Venom shirt with the sleeves cut off. Really odd IMO. As for slightly more underground bands, it makes sense cause let's be honest, you can only have so many personal belongings when you've got x number of other dudes in the van with all the gear so just wearing merch of a band you're touring with/the merch your selling makes a bit more sense.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:11 pm 

I mean it kinda depends on how big the band is. If you're a local band its a smart idea for the audience to even know who you are. But if you're say......Slayer, that shit is corny.

This is why Babymetal would get a straight up 0%.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:51 pm 

I think it looks weird when they are all wearing the same shirt, like in the first picture you linked, mainly because it looks more like a uniform than anything else. I guess it would look even weirder if they were all wearing the same shirt of another band.

I don't have a problem with it though. I don't see it as narcissistic at all unless an artist refuses to wear anything aside from his/her band's merch.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:21 am 

When I played live with Rollas I made sure that not more than 2 members in the band wore a RR shirt otherwise I would think it looked stupid but thats me, haha.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:26 am 

The hate generated by someone wearing their own band's shirt always strikes me as an overreaction. I understand needing a reason to be pissed off, but can't you find something just a tad more suitable?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:53 am 

generally, I don't like it. it's worse when it's very obviously planned: take a "classic" band, for.ex, who fired one of their old members, and they have a new, much younger, guy, who always wears a band t-shirt in all promos for their new album, the video, and live shows. it's the most pathetic kind of paying lip service.

there are, however, exceptions: we once toured with a well-known band that shall not be named. their "mainman" had an accident in his luggage on day two, and thus spent the rest of the 21-day trek wearing the same pair of jeans and t-shirts from their merch stall (don't ask me for his socks and underpants situ). most fans commented favourably, "how cool is it that you're wearing your own tees", but the rest of the tour entourage made fun of him. thankfully he's a nice guy :)

fancy another story? I once gave a handmade tee I made to a member of a band I'm a fan of before their show, and he wore it onstage. #happy

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:59 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Frankly, when a band is getting to the point that they can have T-shirts and shit printed, I think they should be proud of that, and want to show it off. Fucking good for them.

these days, i see bands selling shirts before they've even made a single album - it's hardly a big milestone for anyone

anyway, i don't like it - just seems really corny to me, tho' i'm not sure where that comes from

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:08 am 

joppek wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

these days, i see bands selling shirts before they've even made a single album - it's hardly a big milestone for anyone

anyway, i don't like it - just seems really corny to me, tho' i'm not sure where that comes from

I guess I was thinking more "back in the day" when this shit was a bit harder to print. Now anyone can make whatever and get it printed online.

Still, there is something to be said for good self-promotion.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:55 pm 

It bugged me when I was younger and cared a bit more about the whole "Support the scene, brah!" mentality but nowadays I don't really give a shit. Iron Maiden wear their own shirts like they're shootin' hoops in the NBA.

Nhor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:18 pm 

I think it looks weird
and I'd rather know what the bands that I listen to listen to

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:33 pm 

If I was in a major band, I'd charge lesser bands a 'pay to be worn' fee and wear their shirts every night. Why the fuck not.

Book a 30 day tour, make a deal with 15 bands = $100 and I'll wear your shirt 2 nights of the tour.

That's $1,500 cash.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:42 pm 

Dave and Janick wear Maiden shirts all the time. I see no problem with it.

CadenZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:50 am 

NTT wrote:
If I was in a major band, I'd charge lesser bands a 'pay to be worn' fee and wear their shirts every night. Why the fuck not.

Book a 30 day tour, make a deal with 15 bands = $100 and I'll wear your shirt 2 nights of the tour.

That's $1,500 cash.

Sorry, but for me that seems like a dick move. Plus, it's dishonest; if you wear something you'd better want to support it. And if you like a band (their music or the members themselves) enough to be comfortable in wearing their shirt, do it for free.

Especially if you're in a bigger band, you should be able to sympathize with the smaller bands' situation (touring for no profit, worse circumstances regarding bus, hotel, backstage, rider, soundcheck, stage space etc etc) and try to help them as best you can. Supporting each other in this big metal family shouldn't be motivated by greed IMHO.

AndySlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:22 pm 

Quote:

That's $1,500 cash.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're kidding, but quotes like this one actually do exemplify the kind of dumbass "VIP" mentality that drives up ticket prices and puts the same ole cash grab tour packages on the road time and time again.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:37 pm 

i dont know what you are talking about, i've been going to gigs for over a decade and the prices for tickets are the same.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:49 pm 

To be honest, I think it looks stupid. In Taake, every band member except the man Hoest himself, wears a Taake t-shirt. I'm not offended, and it's not distracting, but... yeah... it looks stupid :P

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:33 pm 

Slayer have done it their whole career and I personally like the newer shirts better than the music. When I saw Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, and Deicide, only Kevin wore a band shirt, but it was Ghost.

Nhor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 pm 

NTT wrote:

That's $1,500 cash.

you're kinda a fag for that that's why, join Nachmystium

doomicus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:24 am 

Quorthon was the king of doing this. I'm betting roughly 80 percent of his pictures are of him wearing some sort of Bathory shirt. I don't really care or mind it when bands do this as I'm here for the music more than anything else.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:40 pm 

I prefer when bands dress in a way that adds to the atmosphere of their performance. Like when Wolven Ancestry (remember them?) came to town in 2012, and the frontman stepped out draped in a full wolf pelt, complete with the head. Must have been hot as hell in there, but he stuck with it.

Omni
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:23 am 

I think that almost all bands that have merchandise for sale have worn their own stuff. There's no reason why I would care about it.

MadThrasher678
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:45 pm 

NTT wrote:

That's $1,500 cash.

Is your surname Ulrich by any chance?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:23 am 

chk chk. $immon$, not Ulrich...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:47 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
I prefer when bands dress in a way that adds to the atmosphere of their performance. Like when Wolven Ancestry (remember them?) came to town in 2012, and the frontman stepped out draped in a full wolf pelt, complete with the head. Must have been hot as hell in there, but he stuck with it.

Graveland use those robes and look great on stage. No band shirts or stuff. Varathron played live around a year ago and Themis was guest drumming for a couple of old tracks. He was sporting a Varathron shirt and I thought it was great.

I don't see a problem with using your own shirts but if all the band members do it, it will look corny.

TheGingerbreadGirl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:57 pm 

All the members from THEM

Reply to topic