Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
POZERKILLER
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 am 

God Dethroned are the ultimate metal band, you see they are one of the few bands who can constantly change their sound without ever ending up making a bad album unlike some bands "cough" Morbid Angel "cough" and Bloody Blasphemy and The Grand Grimoire and overlooked black metal classics.

Also passiondale is one of the best melodic death metal albums of all time.

Am I right or am I right?

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:20 am 

Love GD but they have a couple clunkers. Oh, and they are uninspiring live with their poorly chosen set list.

3,000+ CDs For Sale

Ariesvexic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:53 am 

passiondale was an amazing album, I'm kinda meh on the rest of their discography.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:13 am 

I thought their last album was pretty great. Very good use of melody and some pretty simple yet effective riffs. Never listened to much beyond that though.

To answer your question, they always seemed to me to be one of those bands that are well-regarded but without too many rabid fans. So yeah, maybe you're one of the few.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:02 pm 

I love the band, but however I think they started losing it a bit when they first transitioned into full-on melodeath for the "Into the Lungs of Hell" album. That was still okay, but the two albums after it "The Lair of the White Worm" and especially "The Toxic Touch" always felt super colorless and uninspired to me, almost reaching Arch Enemy levels of dullness. That's why it's so impressive and mindblowing that they managed to turn it around for "Passiondale" and create one of the best albums of the 00's.

The new album was good but I secretly want them to leave behind the WWI themes and return to the goofy Satanism of the first four albums.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:21 pm 

My favourite DM band. And I love the fact that they sing about WWI.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:36 pm 

It was Passiondale that made me a fan of theirs. However, the rest of their discography never reaches that level of awesome. Their other albums are good, though, and display very different levels of extreme metal. Haven't heard the newest one yet.

Saw them in live once before the 2012 breakup and they were great. Definitely don't miss that if you get the chance.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 pm 

The latest album has really tired sounding vocals.

Xymosys
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 pm 

When The Toxic Touch was released, I have been listening to it like 3-4 times a day for a looooong period. That album is embedded in my blood now. Early albums are good as well, but I eventually fall behind their music nowdays...

ss3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:53 pm 

God Dethroned are fantastic. One of my favourite extreme metal bands. I am also surprised at how little love they seem to get, as evidenced by the fact that on the Archives many of their albums only have 1 or 2 reviews.

They are great at blending fierceness and brutality with *just* the right amount of melody. Passiondale was my introduction to the band, like many others ITT, and there is no doubt that it is a fantastic album and one of the high points of their discography. However I'd nominate Bloody Blasphemy as their best album (and the Grand Grimoire is excellent too). The World Ablaze was somewhat underwhelming when I first heard it last year. Though it's grown on me a bit with further listens, it's the weakest of their WWI trilogy and one of their weakest albums IMO.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:08 pm 

Been listening to them for nearly 20 years now where I first heard them on one of those Metalmeister compilations. I was a bit surprised to find The Grand Grimoire at Best Buy. I don't think theyve ever released a bad album, though I prefer the satanic lyrics to the WW1 themes.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:11 pm 

Does anybody else really love their debut album "The Christhunt"? I rarely hear anyone talk about that one, but I've always had a soft spot for it. Some rough musicianship in parts and maybe some awkward songwriting here and there, but it's layered in the perfect level of dirt and grime. Very dark, blasphemous death metal...the "classic" God Dethroned sound also shines through pretty well even though the music is more straight, old school death metal, without much of the black metal or melodeath element.

aaronmb666 wrote:
though I prefer the satanic lyrics to the WW1 themes.

Henri said in an interview that they will probably return to the Satanic themes on their next album, now that the WW1 trilogy is finished.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:59 pm 

true_death wrote:
Does anybody else really love their debut album "The Christhunt"? I rarely hear anyone talk about that one, but I've always had a soft spot for it. Some rough musicianship in parts and maybe some awkward songwriting here and there, but it's layered in the perfect level of dirt and grime. Very dark, blasphemous death metal...the "classic" God Dethroned sound also shines through pretty well even though the music is more straight, old school death metal, without much of the black metal or melodeath element.

aaronmb666 wrote:
though I prefer the satanic lyrics to the WW1 themes.

Henri said in an interview that they will probably return to the Satanic themes on their next album, now that the WW1 trilogy is finished.

I agree. The Christhunt was my first GD album and I loved it. Had a meshing of Dutch DM with Swedeath I found captivating. Pretty much everything up to Ravenous is excellent. Into the Lungs of Hell really fell by the wayside and I’m not super into the World War One albums although I actually really enjoyed The World Ablaze. I think Hail of Bullets just hit a lot of those topics better overall so it seemed kind of stale when GD decided to go down that route.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:03 pm 

Passiondale is the only album I consider to be actually worth buying. The rest have a couple of good tracks (“Arch Enemy Spain” and “Sigma Enigma” come to mind) but not much beyond. Bloody Blasphemy also suffers from repetitiousness, mostly due to the vocals and often retarded lyrics (IMMA SHOOT YOU FROM REAL CLOSE!).

Last.fm

nekrosonic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:53 pm 

Ravenous is a helluva album. I have been meaning to pick up something else by then and keep forgetting, I've been jamming Ravenous for years though.

POZERKILLER
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:20 pm 

"The latest album has really tired sounding vocals."

Yeah agreed with this, his vocals were better on under the sign, much more powerful

POZERKILLER
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:58 pm 

Does anyone think the clean vocals in Poison fog and no survivors are really good?

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:37 am 

POZERKILLER wrote:
Does anyone think the clean vocals in Poison fog and no survivors are really good?

I do, but Henri didn't do them on the album it was some guest singer. His actual clean vocals are nowhere near that good.

Wilytank wrote:
Bloody Blasphemy also suffers from repetitiousness, mostly due to the vocals and often retarded lyrics (IMMA SHOOT YOU FROM REAL CLOSE!).

I love those lyrics, while goofy and totally ridiculous there's something really endearing about it, I can't explain it exactly. Sure a line like "shoot you from real close", or for a more extreme example, "how could this happen - I don't know how to fuck" ( :lol:) is pretty crazy but I'd take that over the pseudo-intellectual nonsense a lot of bands do today. I also always loved how Henri randomly went under the stage name "The Serpent King" for the Ravenous album only to never use it again :lol:.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:57 am 

true_death wrote:
POZERKILLER wrote:

I do, but Henri didn't do them on the album it was some guest singer. His actual clean vocals are nowhere near that good.

Wilytank wrote:
Bloody Blasphemy also suffers from repetitiousness, mostly due to the vocals and often retarded lyrics (IMMA SHOOT YOU FROM REAL CLOSE!).

I love those lyrics, while goofy and totally ridiculous there's something really endearing about it, I can't explain it exactly. Sure a line like "shoot you from real close", or for a more extreme example, "how could this happen - I don't know how to fuck" ( :lol:) is pretty crazy but I'd take that over the pseudo-intellectual nonsense a lot of bands do today. I also always loved how Henri randomly went under the stage name "The Serpent King" for the Ravenous album only to never use it again :lol:.

Well, for the first few albums, they did those photos in the booklets with a description, but havent since. However, he does Serpent King Guitars, which look just like BC Rich.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:59 am 

I think they have been in a bit of a rut since Passiondale. That being said, I fucking love Passiondale.

POZERKILLER
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 am 

No, under the sign is a killer album, new album isnt as good but still good.

fulcizombie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:49 am 

I now have begun discovering them. I had bought one cd of theirs ages ago , “into the lungs of hell” , but didn’t really bother with it (as I do with many of my purchases) and then I saw people praising their new one in a metal Facebook page that I am a member of, and that aroused my curiosity . So I bought “the world ablaze “ and I was shocked by how great it is and rediscovered “into the lungs of hell” in the process . Now I have ordered more GD stuff from amazon and waiting to dive in deeper in their discography. Great band that blends melody with brutality without sounding wimpy like most melo-death bands.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 am 

the comeback album is very stale imho

always enjoyed seeing them live but havent seen them since the reunion

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:26 pm 

When I was teen Bloody Blasphemy has been spinning for a few months on my CD player. Songs like Nocturnal and Serpent King are classics of extreme music. But after it I discovered hundreds of new bands so I forgot about them. From time to time I give listening to Ravenous and The Lair... but now it's nothing more than good metal with high quality. No deep emotions anymore.

demonomania
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm 

"open the tombstone!"

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:06 pm 

POZERKILLER wrote:
"The latest album has really tired sounding vocals."

Yeah agreed with this, his vocals were better on under the sign, much more powerful

It took me a bit to figure out what was off while listening. It seemed to tick all the boxes, band sounded tight as ever. But the poor vocal performance just brings the whole thing down a notch.

electricgrave
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:47 am 

I loved GD passionately until Into the Lungs of Hell...funny story actually. I liked the album, was nervous not sure what to expect with the change of drummer but it was a good album, then I started reading the insert and the guy started explaining the sentiment behind the songs, I can't remember which one was, I think it was Warcult, but the explanation seemed so dumb, just as dumb as the pictures of the guys, I just lost a lot of respect there but I still liked them, then Lair of the White Wurm with sigma enigma and more pictures and silly explanations, then I realized the GD I fell in love with was not really there anymore. I still respect the music, they are great, no doubt, it's just not the same for me like it was during the Grand Grimoire and Bloody Blasphemy, hell even Ravenous was awesome! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all their albums, it's just not the same like it once was for me.

SoundsofDecay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:33 pm 

The Christhunt is fucking dark as shit, dripping in doomy atmosphere and packed with riffs. I like it more than any Swedeath album. Everything else I heard from GD I either didn't like or wasn't bothered either way. The Toxic Touch I remember being particularly lame. "Hating Life?" Lol.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:36 pm 

Into the Lungs of Hell is all-time but I haven't heard any of their other shit, funnily.
Will have to do that soon.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm 

SoundsofDecay wrote:
"Hating Life?" Lol.

That's only lame because it's already a classic Grave song title. Apparently Grave liked that title so much they later named their fourth album after it :lol:.

veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:51 pm 

Love the band! Yeah, I guess you could mention the silly lyrics ("Bloody Blasphemy" itself sounded cheesy back when I discovered them :-P), but they really marked a time for me. I remember I was really into TES 4 at the time; just listening to The Serpent King brings me back lots of fond memories of my careless 16. The Execution Protocol is another favorite, but Soul Capture 1562 is something every person into this genre should like! However, my favorite album may be The Toxic Touch. It's heavier and more melo-death, and the vocals here are at their top performance! 2014 was the song that got me into them, but the best by far are The Day You Died, Away From Emptiness and the very best: Typhoid Mary.
To this day, I still regret missing the chance of seeing them live in my town in 2009, with another supporting act (from the Netherlands too, but I forgot who). The ticket included a bottle of beer and it was like $12 :( silly me. I hope I get to see them live some day! Their beautiful music still hits me the way it did when I was 16.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:19 am 

Blew the dust off The Christhunt and gave it a spin yesterday inspired by this thread. Still a great listen. I also enjoy their more melodic later style; The Lair of the White Worm is so much fun.
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:49 am 

I'll tell you who doesn't like them: God.

POZERKILLER
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:18 pm 

Yeah they are great.

Reply to topic