Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 pm 

If you don't own it come June 23rd you can at least on cd. http://www.silverplatters.com/p/2240112 ... n-kentucky

That is a link to a store I use and it shows the release date as the 23rd. I am so looking forward to buying this reissue. Looks like that is for the date for physical stores to sell it.
This is for the nordvis store
https://www.nordvis.com/compact-disc-c- ... gicd-p-563 cd
https://www.nordvis.com/vinyl-c-24/pano ... -dlp-p-562 lp

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:14 am 

thewrll wrote:
If you don't own it come June 23rd you can at least on cd. http://www.silverplatters.com/p/2240112 ... n-kentucky

That is a link to a store I use and it shows the release date as the 23rd. I am so looking forward to buying this reissue. Looks like that is for the date for physical stores to sell it.
This is for the nordvis store
https://www.nordvis.com/compact-disc-c- ... gicd-p-563 cd
https://www.nordvis.com/vinyl-c-24/pano ... -dlp-p-562 lp

Why don't this kind of posts belong to the Promotional subforum? :scratch:

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:31 am 

I'm familiar with this band thanks to brainsmasher's videos (he mentions them a lot) but I still haven't find the time to listen to them properly, for what I read they mix bluegrass and Black Metal, I may be wrong though.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:53 am 

The bluegrass is not really mixed with the metal content. It is ambient black metal mixed with -core and post-rock, with some bluegrass sections on a few albums. It is a quintessential "hipster black metal" band.

[Edit: edited for accuracy]

Last edited by John_Sunlight on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doomsnow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:28 pm 

Got my pre-order in from Birdrune. Can't wait. Waiting for them to rerelease Roads to the North on vinyl too!

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:23 pm 

Talk about the emperor having no clothes! When the well started to run dry on grandiose post-rock crescendos, Panopticon started putting in cheesy Gothenburg sections. What a joke of a band!

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:40 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
It is ambient black metal mixed with -core and post-rock, with some bluegrass sections on a couple of the albums. It's very much a "hipster black metal" band in sound.

Do you think this applies to all their albums? :scratch:

I don't think so. :nono:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:43 pm 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Talk about the emperor having no clothes! When the well started to run dry on grandiose post-rock crescendos, Panopticon started putting in cheesy Gothenburg sections. What a joke of a band!

:scratch: You mean started and immediately stopped, right? That melo-deathy appeared on all of one song.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:13 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:

I don't think OP has any personal involvement... but yeah this is kind of fishy.
Italy: #1 exporter of erroneous MA data since 2002.
Last.fm

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:23 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
It is ambient black metal mixed with -core and post-rock, with some bluegrass sections on a couple of the albums. It's very much a "hipster black metal" band in sound.

Do you think this applies to all their albums? :scratch:

I don't think so. :nono:

Thread title: Panopticon-Kentucky

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:58 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

I don't think OP has any personal involvement... but yeah this is kind of fishy.

Neither I do but... yeah, fishy.

John_Sunlight wrote:
Thread title: Panopticon-Kentucky

John_Sunlight wrote:
The bluegrass is not really mixed with the metal content. It is ambient black metal mixed with -core and post-rock, with some bluegrass sections on a couple of the albums. It's very much a "hipster black metal" band in sound.

:roll:

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:32 pm 

On that album. Quit being a wiener. Besides, the first part you highlighted is correct due to the bluegrass parts on "Collapse" and "Roads to the North", and the second part applies to all their albums.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:32 am 

I don't think what I posted is fishy. I have never talked to Austin or nordvis or Bindrune. I am just talking about one of the greatest liberal albums of the past 10 years being reissued. I didn't think I would see the day that this incredible album would be reissued.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:01 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The bluegrass is not really mixed with the metal content. It is ambient black metal mixed with -core and post-rock, with some bluegrass sections on a few albums. It is a quintessential "hipster black metal" band.

[Edit: edited for accuracy]

Pretty much true for Kentucky with just a few exceptions as I remember. Great album though and the only Panopticon album I actually like.

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:24 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
On that album. Quit being a wiener. Besides, the first part you highlighted is correct due to the bluegrass parts on "Collapse" and "Roads to the North", and the second part applies to all their albums.

I thought this was your role here and it's cool you edited your original post.

thewrll wrote:
I don't think what I posted is fishy. I have never talked to Austin or nordvis or Bindrune. I am just talking about one of the greatest liberal albums of the past 10 years being reissued. I didn't think I would see the day that this incredible album would be reissued.

Ok, but there are some threads for the subject:
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2107367#p2107367
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2082657#p2082657
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2070535#p2070535

Anyway, I'm being a picky bastard, yeah. :-P

InnesI wrote:
Pretty much true for Kentucky with just a few exceptions as I remember. Great album though and the only Panopticon album I actually like.

Try the (2010) Skagos / Panopticon Split and tell me you don't like it or it's "hipster black metal". :roll:

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:36 am 

The negligible differences between that and the other albums only further demonstrates my description is correct. You don't have to be ashamed of the truth if you actually like the band.

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:39 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The negligible differences between that and the other albums only further demonstrates my description is correct. You don't have to be ashamed of the truth if you actually like the band.

Stop trolling, please. :-D
P.S: I'm ashamed too because of your "hipster black metal" generalization but it's Ok, I suppose.

iAm
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:26 am 

Hey, it's a good album who cares if hipsters like it.

I hate music

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:39 am 

No prejudice against hipsters. Some of my best friends are hipsters. :(

I don't hate Panopticon either, but the folk and bluegrass stuff isn't smoothly integrated with the metal. Austin should do what Darken did and make a side project for his instrumental folk stuff because it's way better than his metal (the same as how Lord Wind is way better than Graveland).

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:16 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
InnesI wrote:

Try the (2010) Skagos / Panopticon Split and tell me you don't like it or it's "hipster black metal". :roll:

I don't mind so called "hipster black metal". Heck, I though Ghost Baths Moonlover was one of the top five albums released that year. I understand people use it in a derogatory term but I put no value in it. Hipster today means the current evolution of black metal. One that I find quite interesting with the ethereal sound, the mix with post rock and shoegaze. I actually find it very compelling and interesting.

As for Panopticon I love Kentucky. I haven't read all the lyrics on it but its nice with a different approach incorporating old school workers perspectives to a black metal record. Apart from that I've heard Roads to the North and Autumn Eternal. Its fine but very unmemorable for me.

Last edited by InnesI on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:39 pm 

This is actually my least favorite Panopticon album and think that it was really sloppily put together with way too much of a bluegrass influence. It also pisses me off that the album artwork and liner notes were laid out so poorly on the original pressing that you can't read anything--normally not a big deal except Austin does include a lot of explanations I generally find interesting to read. Kinda shitty that if I want to read that (or the "accidentally" forgotten notes), I don't have a choice to do so with the version I already paid for.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:29 pm 

There is a huge difference between his last three studio albums. Kentucky has the most folk elements including sound clips of miners. Road To The North has folk elements but no sound clips. And Autumn Eternal has a few folk moments but it is mainly an atmospheric black metal album. What is different about Austin's folk compared with other folk black metal is his use of Appalachian folk.

Reply to topic