Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zeroflux
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:00 pm 

sdoifuyiadsugy, thank you for a great post.

The primary reason why I use MP3Gain is to have my files all at the same volume level, so I don't have to adjust the volume volume on my PC or on my DAP when playing music, and it also removes clipping on iPods when using EQ.

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:19 pm 

brightfield wrote:
One of the other things that probably pushed the loudness to even greater extremes is the popularity of iTunes and downloading music and listening to it on the computer - which is just about the crappiest audio system anyone can own.

On a "normal" stereo system with a decent amplifier and speakers, there is really no need for all this dynamic range compression, because you can still hear the "quiet" parts. But very few people own legitimate stereo systems these days. Most people are quite happy listening to shit on their shitty little PC speakers right next to their monitor or on some crappy little headphones that come with their iPod. The loudness war phenomenon goes hand in hand with this.

Oh, damn, that, I never use the stock earphones for an mp3 player. I use these awesome little Phillips earbuds with rubber ear-hooks on them.

AmishFury
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:44 am 

SwarteHeap wrote:

Clipping is only bad for your speakers if it's done by amplifying the samples then slicing the tops off with a (metaphorical) razor to make it fit. That creates sharp, sudden changes in the amplitude of consecutive samples. Nobody does that. Music producers don't do basic clipping, what they do is a special kind of amplification, where the samples will approach the volume threshold at a curve or something like that, so they are "pushed outward" away from zero volume to a non-linear degree...

i can find plenty of examples of clipping... it happens more than you realize here's just one of many examples from the latest high on fire album

Oblarg wrote:
Of course, if you have enough storage that filesize is a nonissue, keep everything as FLAC, as there's no reason not to (save, perhaps, the lack of support for it on most mobile media players).

good thing transcoding to a format your media player of choice supports is easy

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:54 am 

Part of "That Was Just your Life" by Metallica in Audacity. Red indicates clipping:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:25 am 

AmishFury wrote:
SwarteHeap wrote:

Clipping is only bad for your speakers if it's done by amplifying the samples then slicing the tops off with a (metaphorical) razor to make it fit. That creates sharp, sudden changes in the amplitude of consecutive samples. Nobody does that. Music producers don't do basic clipping, what they do is a special kind of amplification, where the samples will approach the volume threshold at a curve or something like that, so they are "pushed outward" away from zero volume to a non-linear degree...

i can find plenty of examples of clipping... it happens more than you realize here's just one of many examples from the latest high on fire album

Oblarg wrote:
Of course, if you have enough storage that filesize is a nonissue, keep everything as FLAC, as there's no reason not to (save, perhaps, the lack of support for it on most mobile media players).

good thing transcoding to a format your media player of choice supports is easy

Fair enough.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:52 pm 

Gah!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5