Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
screamerabdabs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:54 pm 

So I was thinking about seeing Deicide as there playing near me soon, and I was wondering if they play alot of their early stuff (Legion etc.) because I am a big fan of that. Thanks

PurificationByHatred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:56 pm 

I got to open for them in October in Wichita KS, they played a mixture of songs, mostly off the first cd, a few legion songs, few off once upon the cross, like 1 serpents of the light, and the rest was new songs. There performance was kind of lacking that night..

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:10 pm 

I'd kill to see Behead the Prophet and Revocate the Agitator live.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:16 pm 

I like me some Deicide, but I'd be lying if I said I've heard good things about their live shows. To sum it up...

- Glen is an asshole
- They don't play their good material (except for the stuff that's easier to play)
- They don't give a shit about putting on a good show

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:19 pm 

I'd tell you what they were like live, but as Glen Benton is a massive cunt they cancelled their UK shows AGAIN recently, so I have no idea. Can't be bothered with this band anymore.

You know, every time I think I've heard the dumbest thing, someone comes along to correct that assumption.

Kryth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:47 pm 

Didn't even bother to get a ticket for the show in Finland that was supposed to be soon as I thought they'd just cancel it like berofe. And they did! That was like the 4th time in a row now, so I'm guessing hell will freeze over before Deicide will play in Finland!

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 am 

Kryth wrote:
Didn't even bother to get a ticket for the show in Finland that was supposed to be soon as I thought they'd just cancel it like berofe. And they did! That was like the 4th time in a row now, so I'm guessing hell will freeze over before Deicide will play in Finland!

Always the same with Deicide. I still don't see them in live. But with that situation, better to not buy the ticket.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:10 am 

When I saw them the band was fairly tight, Ralph was really charismatic, Jack was decent and Steve was fucking monstrous.

Glenn doesn't really play the bass parts, doesn't pronounce the lyrics at all and between songs complains about not getting paid enough money to perform.

I guess my experience was more positive than the average Deicide fan's: they actually showed up!

Ulflesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:58 am 

i saw them once and there was a killer show.
benton's voice is still allright and asheim is godly on drums.
they played 4 songs from the self titled, about 2 from "legion", 2 from "once upon the cross", 1 from "serpent of the light", 1 from "scars of the crucifix" and the rest from the last 2 albums.

Corporeal_Jigsore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:08 am 

I think Benton's vocals must suck live. You see, in studio recordings, he does two vocal tracks - one with low grunts, one with higher screams. Obviously. he can't do that live, can he?

I look into the sky, waiting to die. Take me away from here, to a place without fear!

PurificationByHatred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:01 am 

Corporeal_Jigsore wrote:
I think Benton's vocals must suck live. You see, in studio recordings, he does two vocal tracks - one with low grunts, one with higher screams. Obviously. he can't do that live, can he?

Yeah his first song or two is pretty good, then he really got bad, and highs were almost comical by the end of their set. However, despite the mountains of shit people talk on him he was really cool and shy. He made comments about my spiked gauntlets and gave me a dvd with Steve-o on it, and besides that and playing later on those were the only things he really said that entire night hahaha, Steve was cool as fuck, the rest of them hung out on their bus

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 am 

it seems that Legion is avoided. ive got a few bootlegs from 2000-2001. It sounded good, Glen bitched about Roadrunner. Their recent live stuff on youtube is just boring. Jack just stands there looking half asleep. Glen should retire after the next record. His gimmick is just old now.

pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:01 am 

I saw them about 6 months before The Stench of Redemption was released, and they were fucking awesome. However, it took them over an hour to go on stage, and Glen said that current tour would be the last time they'd ever play old songs again because their new stuff (TSoR) was so much better.

I think he lied.

Ulflesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:53 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
it seems that Legion is avoided. ive got a few bootlegs from 2000-2001. It sounded good, Glen bitched about Roadrunner. Their recent live stuff on youtube is just boring. Jack just stands there looking half asleep. Glen should retire after the next record. His gimmick is just old now.
from "legion" they usually play dead but dreaming and trifixion.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:36 pm 

pyroleprechaun wrote:
I saw them about 6 months before The Stench of Redemption was released, and they were fucking awesome. However, it took them over an hour to go on stage, and Glen said that current tour would be the last time they'd ever play old songs again because their new stuff (TSoR) was so much better.

I think he lied.

i guess his excuse for till death do us part is the same as in torment in hell.

~Guest 224878
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:49 am 

I saw Deicide in 2005 or 2006, can't remember, it was before they put out TSOR and they were sweet! Drums were immaculately reproduced, vocals were all lows and all harsh. Jack Owns was playing with them too, I think he had recently joined on if I remember my random city-street encounter correctly.
I like a bunch of the riffs on TSOR but Owens' solos are so wankery and out of place that they literally ruin entire songs for me...
When I saw them they played a ton of stuff off of once upon the cross and legion, but it sounds like those days are over...

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 am 

I'm (probably) seeing them live soon, unless they decide to skip Getaway Rock Festival (which apparently seems likely). However, so far I've only heard bad things about their live experience, so I might stick around for two or three songs and then go stand in the merch booth when they come on. At least their old stuff isn't half bad, even if they haven't got shit on most older USDM bands, but seriously? Fuck 'em. If it wasn't because it's a festival with over 20 other bands, I wouldn't go see them.

EDIT: Oh, gee, what a surprise. Five minutes after making this post, I found out that Deicide had cancelled - and were replaced by Triptykon.

But seriously, fuck the asshats in Deicide.

EDIT: Also, anyone else find it funny that despite the band obviously still touring, at least no one in this thread has explicitly mentioned a date later than sometime during the first half of 2006? Just found that funny.

Last edited by ~Guest 178973 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:27 pm 

Thought there show was impressive as Hell, but it was back in the day when the s/t came out. I have no idea what they are like now, I have the live DVD's and they rip the roof off of that. Besides Glens idiotic banter in between songs, it was a pretty killer show.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.