Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:34 pm 

Agonized's Gods demo anyone? Pretty essential if you're really into early Finnish death metal. Bit like Demigod trying to imitate Incantation (if OtG was released at all back then)

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:44 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Agonized's Gods demo anyone? Pretty essential if you're really into early Finnish death metal. Bit like Demigod trying to imitate Incantation (if OtG was released at all back then)

Not super big on it but it's great if you want an early Crematory level of reductive, primal griminess.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:46 pm 

Huh, that reminds me. I need to take a peek at Crematory. Shame on me for saying Agonized are essential while I don't even know this one.

EDIT: realised they're not Finnish :durr:

Last edited by Sepulchrave on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:51 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Huh, that reminds me. I need to take a peek at Crematory.

Their 1991 demo is probably the best place to start. You can hear lots of proto-Demilich esque riffs in their work. While they are Swedish, the sound on their first three demos reminds a lot more of earlier Finnish death metal.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 pm 

Stillborn Machine wrote:
androdion wrote:
You forgot to mention OOP and expensive as fuck! :p

And that haha. I heard there's a remaster out, no idea if it's any good or cheaper.

There was talk about a reissue a couple of years ago but so far nothing has materialised as far as I'm aware. Pretty much the same as Chemical Breath, and since we're talking about 1992 and off-kilter proggy/techy death/thrash I can leave this one here which is by far the best of their two albums. Excellent atmosphere as well.

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:13 pm 

androdion wrote:
There was talk about a reissue a couple of years ago but so far nothing has materialised as far as I'm aware. Pretty much the same as Chemical Breath, and since we're talking about 1992 and off-kilter proggy/techy death/thrash I can leave this one here which is by far the best of their two albums. Excellent atmosphere as well.

Took me a while to get behind this one but on that note, what did you think of the follow-up and its really hardcore esque vocals?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:39 pm 

I actually like it, though the vocals and the production don't really help its case. But there are still flashes of genius like on the debut. If those reissues do come out I won't mind paying 10-12€ for a copy of each of those two albums. ;)

Thoth Amon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:19 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Huh, that reminds me. I need to take a peek at Crematory. Shame on me for saying Agonized are essential while I don't even know this one.

EDIT: realised they're not Finnish :durr:

The re-issue has the EP and all the demos. The EP alone is worth the cost. The rest is a nice bonus. Just make sure you get the correct printing of it.

Epic black/thrash.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:49 am 

finally...

Long time sold-out unique album by BLASPHEREION is back again under CD/LP with the original sound recording, and a complete new artwork.
BLASPHEREION was unique in their genre, a mix of Death & Doom metal.
Right after the split of the band, Dan Vandeplas aka Cernunnos formed ENTHRONED.

"You make it easy."

Stillborn Machine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:37 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
finally...

Long time sold-out unique album by BLASPHEREION is back again under CD/LP with the original sound recording, and a complete new artwork.
BLASPHEREION was unique in their genre, a mix of Death & Doom metal.
Right after the split of the band, Dan Vandeplas aka Cernunnos formed ENTHRONED.

Eh, this one was alright. Kinda cobbled together in execution.

iDead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:27 am 

Gutted - Bleed for us to live

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:50 am 

Another obscure gem hit the light of day... (again)

Ceremony was founded in the Rotterdam area in 1989 by Peter Verhoef on guitars (ex Phlebotomized) and released 2 demos, one 7‘’ ep and their debut full lenght 'Tyranny From Above' in 1993. The album was released by Dutch underground label Cyber Music and is now finally re-issued by vic records. Bonus to the album comes the 'Inclemeny' e.p. from 1992 and the 3 track promo demo from 1994. Ceremony played typical extreme Ducth death metal from the early 90's just like their friends and fellow-townsman in Sinister for example. (not surprisingly Peter was asked twice to join Sinister in their early days).
All songs are recorded at infames Dutch cult studio Het Pand in Rotterdam with Frits van Mourik (Phlebotomized, Obtruncation, Threnody). Ron van de Pol, founding Sinister member, plays bass on the Ceremony debut album. All tracks are completely remasted by Arco Wolf (IDES). The booklet contains rare pics and extensive liner notes.

http://vicrecords.com/shop/index.php?id ... &results=1

"You make it easy."

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 am 

Brain Dead - From the Ecstasy
Was listening to this the other day, there were some neat ideas in there that made me go "hmm, that kinda' cool", nothing too ambitious but solid thrashy osdm nonetheless. Some original riffs in there plus the bass is pretty audible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM911Zp4CfU
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Br ... tacy/68556

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:24 pm 

I wonder how many of these were posted just because they were old and not necessarily because its any good. I've been through this entire thread and I wouldn't consider many of these to be "gems" by any stretch of imagination... I guess it is cool to hear old shit that's hard to find, though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:02 pm 

that's all just a matter of opinion. There's plenty of gems contained within regardless of your feelings of them.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:02 pm 

K

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:25 pm 

;)

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:26 pm 

Don't sass me god damnit, I just can't take it! :cry:

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:32 pm 

Surprised nobody mentioned Detestation yet. They only released one album in 1995 called Massacre of Hate. I'm not the biggest fan of brutal death metal (as most of it is idiotic and annoying), but this album fucking rips. It sounds something like a cross between Infester, Suffocation and Terrorizer.

Some people have already mentioned the rather infamous Blood, but IMO, Christbait was their finest hour. It is more doomy (for grindcore) than most grindcore/death metal albums.

There is Phantasm that was already mentioned, but Lycanthropy was their best effort.

I saw Scattered Remnants mentioned, but their first demo is much better than the album. Much more raw too.

Darkthrone is far from underrated, but their second demo is amazing.

Surprised nobody posted Mortem yet, the Peruvian or Norwegian band (the latter of which later formed Arcturus from its ashes).
Peruvian:

Norwegian:

Last one for now; Carnage. Not the Swedish band everyone here knows (and loves), but a virtually unknown Finnish death metal band that only released one demo.

I'll end up posting more later. This is all for now.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:48 pm 

Just checked out Blood for the first time in my life, I've avoided for maaaany, many years for the sole fact that they did a split with Mystic Circle (one sure way to ruin every bit of reputation and credibility you have as a musician), but it seems they actually did some pretty fucking amazing stuff. Will give them a more in-depth listen soon!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:18 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Just checked out Blood for the first time in my life, I've avoided for maaaany, many years for the sole fact that they did a split with Mystic Circle (one sure way to ruin every bit of reputation and credibility you have as a musician), but it seems they actually did some pretty fucking amazing stuff. Will give them a more in-depth listen soon!

The old school German death/grind band? I listened to their debut ages ago and was actually quite surprised at how good it was. Pretty original and unique stuff, especially given the year it came out.

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:19 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Blood is an excellent band. the whole discography is worth a listen if you are into them. I think they are recording new material soon too, so be on the lookout for that.

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:28 pm 

Singaporean band Rudra, while not completely old school, has been around since 1992. They largely do a fusion of death metal, black metal and Vedic folk music. They released a demo in 1995 and 1997 and their first album (a compilation really, since it compiled songs from their 1997 demo and some previously unreleased 1998 demos) in 1998. Here's a song from that release:

Also from Singapore is Euronymous. They only released one demo in 1991, but it is a crushing release of pure evil. The demo has elements of black metal as well as death metal, but it is bestial as fuck:

There's also, from Brazil, Genocìdio. They are very notable for being the first Brazilian death metal band to release an EP (1988), as well as the first to release an album (1990). I prefer the EP; it is raw and conveys all of the aspects of death metal at that time, whereas the 1990 release was slightly more polished and avant garde.

From Canada, there's Ancestral. They played some interesting death metal almost in the vein of what Gorguts was doing at the time. They only really one demo in 1993, very technical.

Lastly is Amputation; very notable for having members of what would later become Immortal. Very raw, grim and atmospheric, as well as better than most of what Immortal has put out since Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism and Pure Holocaust:

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:37 am 

Voidd - Japanese band that plays slightly weird death metal with prominent bass. Supposedly a psychobilly band now, but you wouldn't guess it from listening to their first album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihbMAr2WREo

Doomed - Early side project of Chris Reifert and Danny Corrales along with a gent known as the Boogieman (the mouth from the cover of Shitfun, if I recall correctly). Quality death/doom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKkLn2-yzPM

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:17 pm 

Awesome Cynic clone, a true forgotten gem

This one is a minor classic album, unfortunately contains some filler

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:48 pm 

Just found out that Detest - Dorval reissue CD is out via The Crypt. It's limited to 1000 copies so if you are a fan then get it while you can.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25