Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LonesomeFog
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:46 pm 

Anyone looking forward to the new album Sutra Ahra?

I always wondered what song Dan Swano did guest vocals on, I think on Theli, but I cannot remember which. Does he do lead or opera vocals?

Metalhaven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 pm 

I'm always looking forward to new Therion albums. This is one band that always seems to toss in surprises on every album.

kupo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 pm 

I don't like symphonic metal nearly as much as I used to, but I'm looking forward to it. Therion is an awesome band.

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:27 pm 

LonesomeFog wrote:
Anyone looking forward to the new album Sutra Ahra?

I always wondered what song Dan Swano did guest vocals on, I think on Theli, but I cannot remember which. Does he do lead or opera vocals?

Of course I am. They're the only band I consider to be almost flawless. Everything they've done has been good, if not great, from their death metal era to their symphonic material. Thay just can do no wrong in my book.

Gothic Kabbalah was a very good album, but it lacks when compared to Lemuria/Sirius B, so I'm hoping Sithra Ahra will be more in the vein of those albums.

By the way, the song you're talking about would be "In the Desert of Set".

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 pm 

I absolutely love Therion, and this album has been a source of anticipation for a few years now. I can't wait to see what new tricks Christofer has for us, especially since the lineup is so drastically different this time 'round.

Apparently Snowy Shaw is still gonna be around to do some vocals on it though, which is good. I've come to like Snowy's work with Therion; he has one helluva fitting voice for the band.

I also always have my fingers crossed that there will be some scant traces of their earlier days, though that hasn't happened since Lemuria.

kupo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:34 pm 

I hope it's better than Gothic Kabbalah. That album was so disappointing. It's the only "mediocre" Therion album imo.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:44 am 

I really liked Gothic Kabbalah, but I'm looking forward to this new one rather more than I am the previous. I'm hoping it's the final part of the trilogy that Lemuria and Sirius B began-- if so it will be in very much the same style, given that the songs were all written at around the same time...

mudbloodkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 am 

I still listen to Beyond Sanctorum and Symphony Masses Ho Drakon Ho Megas constantly.Think I'm out of date with this band now.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 am 

ForNaught wrote:
I really liked Gothic Kabbalah, but I'm looking forward to this new one rather more than I am the previous. I'm hoping it's the final part of the trilogy that Lemuria and Sirius B began-- if so it will be in very much the same style, given that the songs were all written at around the same time...

The third part of the trilogy would be nice. This album should feature Kali Yuga Part III, which was played live at their 20th anniversary tour in 2007. I'm looking forward to this one.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 am 

mudbloodkiller wrote:
I still listen to Beyond Sanctorum and Symphony Masses Ho Drakon Ho Megas constantly.Think I'm out of date with this band now.

Na, their death metal era is brilliant as well, even though they've changed leaps and bounds by then. Even if symphonic metal isn't your thing, you've still got a handful of good albums to enjoy.

NightmareLake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:51 am 

I only like their death metal stuff. I didn't even know they were still around.

glyndwr_2002
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:58 am 

kupo wrote:
I hope it's better than Gothic Kabbalah. That album was so disappointing. It's the only "mediocre" Therion album imo.

I hope so too. Maybe I didn't give Gothic Kabbalah enough listens, but it really didn't grab me right off the bat like Lemuria or Sirius B did. I tend to put Therion and Hollenthon in the same group (flame away for that), and the new stuff from either band was--disappointing.

So, we'll see. I would love to have something like Lemuria/Sirius, but who knows.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 am 

I'm looking forward to 'Sitra Ahra.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:59 am 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
ForNaught wrote:

The third part of the trilogy would be nice. This album should feature Kali Yuga Part III, which was played live at their 20th anniversary tour in 2007. I'm looking forward to this one.

Interesting, I did not know that a Part III existed. What's it like, if you've heard it?

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:59 pm 

LonesomeFog wrote:

He does lead vocals on Nightside of Eden and Cults of the Shadow.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 pm 

ForNaught wrote:
Lord_Lexy wrote:
ForNaught wrote:

Interesting, I did not know that a Part III existed. What's it like, if you've heard it?

I'm pretty sure when they recorded Lemuria/Sirius B they had enough songs for a triple album, but decided to release those 2 albums at the same time and hold back several tracks for the follow up release. Then they decided to do Gothic Kabbalah instead of finishing off the third part. So the next album SHOULD be part 3 of the trilogy. Can't wait!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:44 pm 

It would be cool if Therion would do a death metal tour one of these days, id go see that for sure.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:45 pm 

@Tornado: No, I know all that-- that was what I was talking about in my first quoted post. I was asking about the song Kali Yuga Part III which Lord_lexy referred to.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.