Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:51 pm 

Rejoice, rejoice for Pungent Stench's long unreleased album Smut Kingdom will finally see the light of day. Recorded in 2007 and shelved when the band broke up, it seemed it might never be released due to the bitter relationship between former bandmates Martin Shirenc and Alex Wank. It includes "guest appearances by Dr. Heathen Scum (The Mentors), Kam Lee (Mantas, Massacre) and LG Petrov (Entombed)." The CD/digital versions are coming from Dissonance Productions who is also reissuing their back catalogue. Back on Black will handle the vinyl editions of these reissues and Smut Kingdom.

Track list
1. Aztec Holiday
2. Persona Non Grata
3. Devil’s Work
4. Brute
5. King Of Smut
6. Suicide Bombshell
7. Opus Dei
8. I Require Death Sentence
9. Me Gonzo
10. Planet Of The Dead

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:46 pm 

Whoa! I sure didn't expect to read this when I logged on to metal-archives. I never even heard of this, but I think I might be one of the few (?) who thought Ampeauty was kind of awesome. I mean, the riffs were fantastic, and the song-writing devilishly catchy. I don't think a dirtier sound would be amiss this time, though. I guess we'll see...

Does anyone know what the hell happened between the band members that made it all crash in such a "bitter" way?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Everflowingstream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm 

Aztec Holiday can be found on Bandcamp. Very rock sounding.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:50 pm 

I strongly suspect the lyrics of "King of Smut" will be about the fungi that infects corn and other crops.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:43 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Whoa! I sure didn't expect to read this when I logged on to metal-archives. I never even heard of this, but I think I might be one of the few (?) who thought Ampeauty was kind of awesome. I mean, the riffs were fantastic, and the song-writing devilishly catchy. I don't think a dirtier sound would be amiss this time, though. I guess we'll see...

Ampeauty has its moments (opener "Lynndie" absolutely crushes), but the quality overall is spotty. Masters of Moral - Servants of Sin was similar in style, but done far better--a beast of an album that has a sense of groove without succumbing to the boring rock formula that plagued Club Mondo Bizarre. Of course, their masterpiece is Been Caught Buttering which for my money is the greatest death metal LP of all time, perfectly encapsulating the rank, dead spirit of the genre. Seeing as the band kills on even-numbered albums, I hope Smut Kingdom continues the tradition. (Even though I've spoken negatively about some of their work, I'll still be grabbing all of the reissues. Apologies to my wallet.)
Abominatrix wrote:
Does anyone know what the hell happened between the band members that made it all crash in such a "bitter" way?

Don't know, but after Shirenc formed "The Church of Pungent Stench" Wank posted this to his website (where it remains) and it seems to provide some insight [emphasis mine]:
Quote:
The attempt of an Pungent Stench member to start this band again and to present it as a „Reunion“ is pure nonsense and a fake.

Pungent Stench was formed, created & lead by Mr. Stench and nobody else. The goal was reached with the other guy, but that doesn´t allow him to “re-form” the band again under the Pungent Stench moniker (or anything related). This attempt was made to cheat the supporters and promoters to make some quick cash and nothing else.

By no means I will sit back and see my creation abused - legal action has already been taken. This Church is foul – and this Church will burn!

Here Wank doesn't give off the impression he's level-headed and easy to work with. Of course, there's more to this than a few sentences. Maybe he was the driving force behind most of the band's work or perhaps Shirenc did things to make such statements understandable emotionally if not accurate factually. The Bandcamp page briefly mentions that the two started to communicate last year so it appears they've patched things up enough to at least allow these releases to go forward.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:12 am 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Aztec Holiday can be found on Bandcamp.

It doesn't appear to be there any more. It was never on the band's page, but if you looked through the new death metal releases you could find it.

Everflowingstream wrote:
Very rock sounding.

Sure was, though in an intriguing way. Singles can be deceiving, but it wouldn't be all that surprising if they'd gone in that direction for most of the album.

Also of interest, Floga Records is releasing a cassette box set:
Spoiler: show

It would fit in nicely with the Autopsy and Cannibal Corpse sets.

Reply to topic