Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:49 pm 

Hideous cover art that is apparently AI (is this true or just a rumor? just seen people say this in comments):
Spoiler: show

Track list:
01. From Unknown Heights You Shall Fall
02. Doomed To Die
03. Sever The Tongue
04. Faithless
05. Bury The Cross…With Your Christ
06. Woke From God
07. Ritual Defied
08. Failures Of Your Dying Lord
09. Banished By Sin
10. Trinity Of None
11. I Am I…A Curse Of Death
12. The Light Defeated

Singles:

Despite the awful cover art, I am looking forward to this. "Overtures of Blasphemy" was quite good. Anyway, I'm surprised there isn't a thread about it yet. I searched and saw nothing, lol.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:02 pm 

sounds promising enough

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:07 pm 

Those two tracks are weird, Deicide used to be one of the heaviest bands of the Florida scene, sometimes bordering some form of primitive brutal death metal, but those new songs are surprisingly melodic. I am not sure that Benton's style fits the music, their best material is the first 3 albums.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:18 pm 

The melodicism of "Overtures of Blasphemy" is why I liked it honestly, so I don't mind. It's melodic without veering into melodeath and that's cool imo (no hate to melodeath - I quite like plenty of it). That's sort of what I'm expecting from "Banished by Sin" too.

Nothing they do is gonna beat "Legion", though.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:08 pm 

Hard pass for me.

I'm happy to report I've outgrown Deicide. Those song titles are incredibly stupid but at this point Benton has already written himself into a corner with the "fuck Jesus" themes....and yes every other death metal band from the 90's leans hard(er) into their themes, even ones I like, like Napalm Death the older they get but honestly fuck off Glen Benton you weirdo

That song did nothing for me and his vocals sound atrocious over the so-so music.
Did you need a protection amulet?

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:55 pm 

It's not confirmed that the album art is AI generated to my knowledge, but it looks like something that was created with AI in my amateur opinion. Overall the music sounds decent if a little by the numbers, maybe a slight step down from Overtures Of Blasphemy if this is the best of what the album has to offer. The music video for "Bury Your Cross..." was pretty ridiculous, but I think that was likely the intent.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:09 pm 

On the topic of artwork, I find that the two singles released have better artwork than the album itself.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:10 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Those two tracks are weird, Deicide used to be one of the heaviest bands of the Florida scene, sometimes bordering some form of primitive brutal death metal, but those new songs are surprisingly melodic. I am not sure that Benton's style fits the music, their best material is the first 3 albums.

I honestly don't blame them for wanting to branch out a bit more and play around with melody - they were raised on Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Mercyful Fate, after all.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:34 pm 

Wait....which is the cover? Those are two [slightly] different pictures!

The second one reminds me of Satan from Zyuranger/Lokar from Power Rangers

Spoiler: show

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

HisZvironistOverlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:39 pm 

That's gotta be AI.

also what I've heard sounds like a big step down from OoB (which I thought was great, and felt like Deicide made a rare second comeback album).

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:47 pm 

Been a fan for a long time. The cover looks like a Kerry king/medallion ripoff. Musically it's growing on me. I'm sure I'll be listening to it for months after it's released.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:34 am 

Sounds okay, but also really straight forward even for Deicide. The cover art fucking sucks big time.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:51 am 

Cover art looks right off a Kerry King Hot Topic t-shirt. I will pass on general principal.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 pm 

Weird cover aside, single sounds more or less the same from modern Deicide. Nothing will ever beat their classics from the 90s.

whiskeyfinder general
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:49 pm 

Deicide has such a wildly uneven catalogue. They've put out some absolute classics, to be sure, but they also have plenty of albums that just sound like no one involved gave a shit. These singles sound promising. Say what you want about Glen Benton, but he has a great death metal voice, cringe lyrics notwithstanding.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:19 pm 

Deicide hit their lyrical/song title nadir in 2004 with 'Mad At God'. Everything's gotta be uphill from there.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:00 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Deicide hit their lyrical/song title nadir in 2004 with 'Mad At God'. Everything's gotta be uphill from there.

I hate you lord, forgot I exist
Resent your ways that I will not be forgived
Wallow in hatred, I blame you for all
Slashing and stabbing your christians I maul
Mad at god revenge in my heart
Wanting you dead it will never depart

:ugh: :panda: :ah-ha:

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:25 am 

You can tell Steve Asheim had a hand in writing this, some of the chords and transitions sound like Order of Ennead his other band. The cover art is fine in my opinion not sure what people are complaining about, standard death metal fare. It's not a bad song but if this is the best track off the album I'll pass, its only average. The last several albums have really all been the same since TDDUP. You'd think they would want to branch out and try some different song structures, harmonies, different types of lead breaks, lyrics, anything. I'll judge the album properly when it comes out though to be fair.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:27 am 

Alright, I don't like that they used AI for the cover art - it's pathetic - but this video is pretty goddamn sweet tiddies.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:42 am 

i guess overtures of blasphemy was a goddamn fluke if this is what we have to go by.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:55 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
The cover art is fine in my opinion not sure what people are complaining about, standard death metal fare.

It's not even close to being the worst artwork, that Deicide has used for an album cover.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:14 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:
The cover art is fine in my opinion not sure what people are complaining about, standard death metal fare.

It's not even close to being the worst artwork, that Deicide has used for an album cover.

I think all the Earache covers were shit lol

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:51 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

The artist that painted that was a very good painter, technicaly, but I am not a fan of his work at all, they definitely could have gone a different artwork on that one. To be honest that album wasn't bad, but I felt a few of those albums they could have worked on a bit longer, bar Scars, that album was pretty good.

I'm listening to this new music video now, standing by my last comment. Sounding pretty standard Deicide to be honest.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:39 am 

a lot of the nonsensical blending things sure do look like something an ai would do, but the image as a whole has way too much variation in the amount of detail to be a straight ai render - i'm pretty sure someone has pieced it together from bits. not sure where the image is from or what compression it's gone through, but no ai image generator i know of would generate such a low resolution blur as that toungue, and the hair seems to be done so poorly that if it was ai generated, it must have been done on some seriously outdated software

in any case it's absolutely terrible

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:40 am 

Maybe this can go into unpopular opinions, but since the serpents of the light deicide it doesn't do anything interesting.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:39 pm 

jose_G wrote:
Maybe this can go into unpopular opinions, but since the serpents of the light deicide it doesn't do anything interesting.

You don't think The Stench of Redemption is any good?

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:33 pm 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

That art is fine. It has a timeless quality that completely suits the themes of the album. Also, it's among their most underrated works, hot on the heels of 'Stench' and featuring absolutely killer guitar solos by the late, great Ralph Santolla, R.I.P.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:27 am 

jose_G wrote:

Not necessarily, I think most old school death metal fans hold a similar viewpoint. I think my viewpoint that In Torment In Hell was their only truly weak album is probably less common than yours or the more typical view that Deicide fell off after Serpents Of The Light and then either totally or partially redeemed themselves after the Hoffman brothers left.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:39 am 

Argh we are returning at the nineties with the horrors of Photoshop…

sedsu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:51 pm 

Till Death Do Us Part is a pretty good album with really good artwork. On the other hand the new songs sound mediocre as hell and the art is atrocious.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:03 pm 

sedsu wrote:
Till Death Do Us Part is a pretty good album with really good artwork. On the other hand the new songs sound mediocre as hell and the art is atrocious.

Artwork was a painting by Hans Baldung apprentice of Dürer

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:11 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
sedsu wrote:

Still doesn't make it good. Bloody thing is an eyesore.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:29 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
sedsu wrote:

I don't think it was meant to be pretty- it represents death. So cold, ugly and unpleasant is rather the point.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:45 pm 

Stench is one of my fav's, but I think the art is terrible. Scars couldve been better.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:34 am 

I've realized these singles are kind of growing off me. Doesn't mean I've suddenly decided I hate them but I find myself kind of just stopping them halfway through now, lol.

Still hoping the album will be good but I don't think it will be as enjoyable as the last one, which I still dig (played that one again today and didn't skip a single second of it).

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:08 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
sedsu wrote:

Yep it’s a matter of taste but at least isn’t shitty like Photoshop or Ai

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:03 pm 

I'm one of those rare people who doesn't give two shits about The Stench of Redemption. It's obviously a good record but In Torment In Hell was soooo bad that I have a hard time taking anything after that seriously, sorry. I guess it's a psychological thing. I liked Ralph Santola as a person but his playing style don't fit the band at all. The only reason I even tried to care was Jack Owen, who I think is quite underrated as a guitar player. I think this band would have been better had David Suzuki stayed on guitar after that one live tour just after the Hoffmans left.

All the new stuff is alright, but I'll never play it on repeat. Whereas everything up to and including Serpents of the Light is in constant rotation, all these years later

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:33 pm 

Im an fan of Once upon cross thank to one of best productions of Scott Burns but after the fourth album Deicide lost completely interest to me..
Musically and lyrically(Benton must listen Immolation a lot to understand that can be anti-religious in a smart way)

Stench is too similar to the last two chapters of Vital Remains,but i must say that I like Overtures of Blasphemy

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:52 pm 

Benton's Vital Remains albums are pretty good. I forgot about them, but they were heavy as balls but with an interesting touch of melody here and there.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:57 am 

SanPeron wrote:
Benton's Vital Remains albums are pretty good. I forgot about them, but they were heavy as balls but with an interesting touch of melody here and there.

They're not Benton's album though, he's basically a session singer on those. Dave Suzuki was the main man behind those (and the two before) - the long songs with the melodic touches are his schtick, apparently. Sadly, Icons of Evil was underwhelming - it was too much of a reiteration of the album(s) before that, and every song pretty much gets played twice, presumably to boost the total album playing time, making it a chore to get through it.

Also Dechristianize, while really good, isn't that much better or different than Dawn of Apocalypse - only with different vocals, of course. And obviously having a legendary vocalist in their ranks did a lot for their popularity, even if he never toured with them (afaik?)

So I reckon that if at that point Dave Suzuki would've joined Deicide, both bands would've become indistinguishable one from the other.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next