Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:42 pm 

Floridian death/groove metal/death'n'roll vets Six Feet Under will release their eighteenth full length, Killing For Revenge, on May 10 through Metal Blade Records.

Tracklisting:
1. Know-Nothing Ingrate
2. Accomplice to Evil Deeds
3. Ascension
4. When the Moons Goes Down in Blood
5. Hostility Against Mankind
6. Compulsive
7. Fit of Carnage
8. Neanderthal
9. Judgement Day
10. Bestial Savagery
11. Mass Casualty Murdercide
12. Spoils of War
13. Hair of the Dog (Nazareth cover)

So I don't realistically think that the new Six Feet Under album is actually going to be any good. To be perfectly honest I'm mostly curious to see how much Barnes' vocals have deteriorated since Nightmares of the Decomposed. I'm sure there will be plenty of memes generated once the first single drops in a couple of days, but who knows, maybe they will surprise everyone and this will be their best record since the early days.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:35 am 

Fuck this band lol

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:50 am 

Fuck yeah! The HEAVIEST band in the world.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:49 am 

I'm definitelEEEEEEEEEEEEEE curEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIous about how hEEEEEEEEEEEEE sounds now too.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:09 am 

Both cover and song titles look slightly less dumb in comparison to the predecessor.

I hope I'm wrong, though because I'm craving for a super fun ridEEE!

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:21 am 

COME GETCHUR CARRRRRR

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:40 am 

The over/under on EEEEEEEs on the album is set at 40.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:41 am 

I can already hear it in the Nazareth cover: *gag-growls* "Now you're messin' with a, a son of a BEEEEEEECH".

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:37 pm 

This album might surprise us with absolutely no EEEEEs whatsoever.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:11 pm 

EEEEEEEE

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:50 pm 

Well that cover sure looks like it came straight from an album of that other band.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:54 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Well that cover sure looks like it came straight from an album of that other band.

That's because it's done by Vincent Locke.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:11 pm 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
I can already hear it in the Nazareth cover: *gag-growls* "Now you're messin' with a, a son of a BEEEEEEECH".

its gonna be godawful. i cant wait.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:27 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:

I'm not necessarily a hater of this band, but it baffles me that some people act like SFU is one of the best bands in metal. Rose-colored glasses? Stockholm syndrome? What is it that keeps them coming back?

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:43 pm 

goetia_unreleased wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:

I'm not necessarily a hater of this band, but it baffles me that some people act like SFU is one of the best bands in metal. Rose-colored glasses? Stockholm syndrome? What is it that keeps them coming back?

you know its a fantastic question i dont know the answer to. i know a lot of metalheads and not a single one of them are fans of SFU at all. in fact, theyre more frequently an object of derision than anything else. but clearly SOMEONE is a fan of these guys.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm 

I bought a Six Feet Under album when I was getting into metal because I had heard of them, I guess I was part of the problem!

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:29 pm 

goetia_unreleased wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:

Someone I knew in high school tried to convince me Six Feet Under was better than Cannibal Corpse.
I... uh, disagreed.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:37 pm 

Definetely the best cover since Haunted for me. Theyre one of my metal guilty pleasures. Yeah, the vocals suck, but I enjoy the music for the most part. I am curious about the vocals, since its the first one where he hasnt smoked pot.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:57 pm 

Come on guys, if you didn't bang your head to this classic you probably hate death metal. Groovy and slow is the way this thing should be made.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:38 am 

" Hair of the Dog (Nazareth cover)"

I'm too curious for my own good about how that will sound!

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:21 am 

I'll give it a listen, here's hoping it'll be a good one.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:08 am 

That cover art is actually quite good.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:21 am 

well, like it or not, Locke also start being lazy years ago

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:33 am 

Potential worst album of the year contender.

Frank Booth wrote:
COME GETCHUR CARRRRRR

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:58 pm 

his voice sounds marginally better, but that's about it. his highs are still AWFUL, and what's with that attempt at vibrato(?) in the chorus? it sounds like hes trembling. no good.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:13 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
his voice sounds marginally better, but that's about it. his highs are still AWFUL, and what's with that attempt at vibrato(?) in the chorus? it sounds like hes trembling. no good.

That song is old enough to legally drive. His voice has been fucked for eons.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:33 pm 

That stunk. This is gonna be so wonderfully terrible.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:14 pm 

Subrick wrote:
That stunk. This is gonna be so wonderfully terrible.

It'll definitely scare Tiffany.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:59 pm 

Looking forward to this. I'm fond of these guys and the last couple of albums were enjoyable.

Spiritofmetalover
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:37 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
goetia_unreleased wrote:

you know its a fantastic question i dont know the answer to. i know a lot of metalheads and not a single one of them are fans of SFU at all. in fact, theyre more frequently an object of derision than anything else. but clearly SOMEONE is a fan of these guys.

I can help you there!
I'm a HUGE SFU fan, they've been my overall favorite band for will over 10 years. What keeps me coming back is actually, as odd as it may be, the vocals. I'm not going to pretend that his vocals on Nightmares are cool whatsoever, but I feel like people hate on them for the wrong reasons. His vocals on Nightmares are very similar to his vocals on the second album, Warpath, in that they're much more mid and much less low. It also just so happens that Warpath is my least favorite SFU album, right after Nightmares. Now, what I've gathered about Nightmares overall is that it was VERY rushed. I don't know if there was some contract reasons but the fact that Owen had joined was a big part of it in that they REALLY wanted to put out some music with him so it more or less just became whatever they jammed up and no one took anything all too seriously - except for publicly, because of course they needed to sell the album as best as they could.
In terms of Barnes' vocals becoming worse over the years, I'd like to present the 2017 album Torment up against Death Rituals which was posted earlier, there really isn't much of an overall difference. There are some songs here and there where he changes it up, on Seed Of Filth for example he's a tad lower but try Death By Machete from Death Rituals versus Exploratory Homicide from Torment. Furthermore, I'm a vocalist myself and I can pretty accurately do what he does (the "angry-dog-growls", not the eeeee) and I can assure you that it's not taxing at all.
Something else that keeps me coming back is the music itself, I love how many of the albums are very destinct. A few examples: Torment is very technical, True Carnage has some interesting guest vocals, Bringer Of Blood is very simplistic and Commandment is one of the greatest albums of all time (bias, I know, just wanted to note that if you want to give SFU another chance, I'd go with Commandment (followed by Torment and Unborn))
In terms of the new album, although Barnes will never say that the new stuff sounds anything like any old stuff, he has admitted that there's a hint in the title; Killing For Revenge is a line from Murdered In The Basement from Bringer Of Blood, which is my personal favorite song from said album, and I've heard from elsewhere in the SFU-camp (same source as I have for everything else, not going to say who it is publically though) that the album is musically going to be a lot more interesting than Nightmares. I just hope that Barnes will take a little more time to get his performance tight this time my biggest issue with him on Nightmares is that his timing is often quite shit on it, something I don't understand why the producer didn't at least fix in post - then again, the production was as I said very rushed so that could be the reason, fingers crossed that it's not produced/mixed by Chris Carroll again.

democracyiscringe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:26 pm 

Quote:
His highs are still terrible

There's only one kind of high Chris Barnes cares about and it's not the vocal kind.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:45 pm 

democracyiscringe wrote:
Quote:
His highs are still terrible

There's only one kind of high Chris Barnes cares about and it's not the vocal kind.

Literally Cannabis Corpse.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:02 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Come on guys, if you didn't bang your head to this classic you probably hate death metal. Groovy and slow is the way this thing should be made.

That wasn't bad.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:33 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

That wasn't bad.

It has never been Ace, it has never been. Six Feet Under must be one of the most over-hated bands in all the metal world.

7stringbuttplug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:30 pm 

Just listened to the song early using a VPN and as someone who doesn't hate this band Barnes sounds MUCH better than the last album. That said idk if it's due to them actually mixing his vocals properly and him not one-taking the whole thing or if him quitting weed helped his voice out. Also not one single EEEEE in the track which goes with their track record aka everytime they drop an album full of those they tend to put out one without those.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:04 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7GC7nEkybs

No nothing Ingrate. It should work if you can download youtube videos. His vocals dont sound any better, but they seem a little low in the mix.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:40 am 

Kinda weird to go with Vincent Locke cover art given the long relationship between him and Cannibal Corpse, but it looks good at least.
I guess there must be people buying SFU records since Metal Blade keeps pumping 'em out, but I'm gonna give this a huge miss.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:08 am 

Not too bad to be honest, pretty standard fare. Better than anything off the last album Lol

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:29 am 

I miss it without fail

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:12 am 

SanPeron wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

That wasn't bad.

It has never been Ace, it has never been. Six Feet Under must be one of the most over-hated bands in all the metal world.

Well most SFU I have heard was mediocre at best, and that wasn't some great song, but it wasn't bad. There is nothing I have ever heard from them that other bands didn't do better. But you are right, they are slammed more than they deserve. But at best they are an average death metal band that gets by due to their shell of a vocalist.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next