Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lichtung002
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:16 am 

Burzum is releasing a new metal album, as revealed by Varg on twitter in recent weeks. According to Varg, it is intentionally going to retain a "demo tape quality" and was inspired by his recent autobiographical writing about the history of Black Metal. The plan is to release as a CD/LP once the album has been digitally uploaded.

It will be released track by track, and the first track appears to already be up on youtube:

Looking forward to hearing what this album has in store - on first listen, it has all of the trademark atmosphere and riffing you would expect along with similar but perhaps not completely the same spoken word vocal stylings in line with Burzum's latter-day metal releases (Belus, Fallen, Umskiptar).

Last edited by Lichtung002 on Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:49 am 

That sounded like a revived corpse wandering tiredly around, questioning its existence.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:38 am 

i love belus , fallen and umskiptar... this new surprise me! waiting for that.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 am 

Yeah 'Belus' and 'Fallen' were great, I'm interested in hearing this new one.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:35 am 

This is just embarrassing.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:43 am 

This song is pretty terrible. I'll probably give another song or two a glance but if it's not significantly better I'll just stick with the first two albums.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:39 am 

That's the worst song I've heard in 2024.

OlroxPhase2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:25 am 

What is this even? Did he listen to this before he released it? It's embarrassingly bad. I would expect this from a kid who just started to learn how to play and wanted to make a Burzum track on his mom's MacBook.

To think that this is ok to release under the name of Burzum speaks loudly of how abnormally inflated is Varg's ego.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:29 am 

A little more weight in the drums might work better.It's way too tippy tappy for a demo even for that guitar track.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:55 am 

pikesteriff71 wrote:
A little more weight in the drums might work better.It's way too tippy tappy for a demo even for that guitar track.

Yeah, this needs better drums.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 pm 

Not a particularly good song, though the guitarwork still manages to be hypnotic in that classic Burzum way. I really can't jive with these dumb vocals, though, and the drums sound like total shit.

I can't help but get the impression that Varg's just sort of farting around out of boredom and releasing crap now and then because he knows dumbasses will flock to buy it. This is kind of stuff is just blatantly such less effort than his first couple post-prison releases.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:30 pm 

LordStenhammar wrote:
pikesteriff71 wrote:

:lol: Yep i get it.It's pretty bad all round.I have a bobby basic Zoom drum machine (with soft keys) in a cupboard somewhere that has infinitely better snare sound than whatever it was he was using.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:06 pm 

pikesteriff71 wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:
pikesteriff71 wrote:

:lol: Yep i get it.It's pretty bad all round.I have a bobby basic Zoom drum machine (with soft keys) in a cupboard somewhere that has infinitely better snare sound than whatever it was he was using.

Guitars just don't talk much alone, at least not to me. Not even if the song was better. This song is SUPPOSED to have proper drumming. That was all I could think of when I listened to it.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:58 pm 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Guitars just don't talk much alone, at least not to me. Not even if the song was better. This song is SUPPOSED to have proper drumming. That was all I could think of when I listened to it.

Agreed.Even in demo form it's all wrong.

So maybe i'm not reading it right but this is what he is releasing digitally,one track at a time before a proper tape or vinyl version comes out before he goes into a studio to polish it all off or is he not going to bother?

Surely he's going to beef up the sound a notch or two and maintain his 'demo tape quality' for final release.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:24 pm 

pikesteriff71 wrote:
Surely he's going to beef up the sound a notch or two and maintain his 'demo tape quality' for final release.

Does anything point to this being a "work in progress"? Surely this is the final product. I just hope the final cover will read "Burzum (NEW)" as well.

I wonder how much Kanye West is to blame for this unnecessary revival. Varg sure seems happy about the exposure.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:38 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Does anything point to this being a "work in progress"?

Well,from what i'm hearing yes. Almost everything.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 pm 

pikesteriff71 wrote:
CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Does anything point to this being a "work in progress"?

Well,from what i'm hearing yes. Almost everything.

You mean how it sounds like shit?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:44 pm 

Sounded fine until the competing vocal tracks entered the fray. Should've just stuck with the whispers.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:07 pm 

It's not bad. It definitely sounds like post-millennial Thulean Perspective output for sure- that typical sound of say, "Belus" and "Fallen" with it's slow, somewhat melodic and ambient doom-ish vibe- and that's not a bad thing at all. But I can also understand, and accept, the criticisms of it mentioned above. I don't think it is "Embarassingly bad" but it certainly could have used a bit more studio work- better rhythm section for one thing.

I do think it is interesting in that he had, at one time, stated that he was done with making music, other than the very occasional soft, ambient pieces and even that seemed to be tapering off. So I was surprised to see he is still releasing new stuff.

DarkSkiesGreyWaters
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:49 pm 

Well, that was boring.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:50 pm 

Idk the hate seems pretty hyperbolic. This really is evocative of cult black metal in the early 90s and there’s just a magic in the riffing that triggers such nostalgia; it’s what brought me to Black Metal as a teen all over again. Varg’s a dummy but I can’t argue how his music makes me feel.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:14 pm 

It feels a bit half-baked, like a skeleton of a future song to be completed. I'm pretty sure Varg is just recording with his wife's laptop, so the low quality is not that surprising.

I like the guitar playing though. Very repetitive and hypnotic.

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:20 pm 

Can't believe I paused the new In Vain for this.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:32 pm 

Not the worst thing I've heard out of Burzum, maybe a tad less engaging than Umskiptar, but reminds me heavily of some of the droning material off that album. I've pretty much accepted that since Filosofem that Varg's music is purely focused on a spacey, meditational quality similar to some of those more stripped down atmospheric bands that have cropped up in the past 15 years. It's really lo-fi and the narration tracks almost drown out everything else, but I'm digging the guitar lines and generally slow-paced character of this song.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:54 am 

Varg have nothing more to say…

A terrible ending

Fact

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:20 pm 

My Burzum favorites are the post-prison metal albums so I vibe with this. Very dreamy and contemplative.

The_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:45 pm 

Imagine expecting something interesting from Varg at this point

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:25 pm 

Honestly I liked it better than the new Darkthrone track. But then again, I liked Umskiptar and this sounds like a continuation of that record.
I'm not expecting the production to improve, though. It is cheap-sounding but I think he's rebelling against the "studio sound" just as Darkthrone does, even if the result does end up taking away a lot of the riffs' potential power.

Varg is despicable, he has left a stain in the metal scene and he has only seemed to become worse with age, but I just can't hate his music.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:31 am 

The song is good. The guitar is decent while the drumming is not important to me.
Also laughing at all the "production" criticisms. This is black metal, the power metal room is next door. You should go there if you want sleek production.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 am 

funeralravens wrote:
The song is good. The guitar is decent while the drumming is not important to me.
Also laughing at all the "production" criticisms. This is black metal, the power metal room is next door. You should go there if you want sleek production.

It’s soulless,no fire,no heart

Production is only good thing

Fact

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:35 am 

>spends a couple decades talking about how much he hates metal
>records a track signifying his permanent move away from metal
>playing metal again

Gave the track a listen against my better judgement and even without my biases against him, it’s not great. The hypnotic atmosphere is still there but everything just feels severely underpowered. I’m not sure I can even make fun of his hypocrisy regarding metal when this ends up sounding closer to shoegaze.

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:18 pm 

It's okay. Don't know why everybody is getting so twisted about it?

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:22 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
It’s soulless,no fire,no heart

Production is only good thing

It's still pretty unique. Nobody makes black metal that sounds like that. While it's not the best stuff he's ever released it's worth a listen. Those who say this is the worst music ever are either poseurs or too ideologically charged to enjoy most black metal.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:31 pm 

Finally got around to listen to it. Man is this one sad.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm 

this is not great but no doubt he's just doing this in the spare room with minimal equipment.
if it gets a better production it has potential

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:09 pm 

You guys are overreacting, for starters Burzum was never that good to begin with, he is remembered more for being a pioneer of the scene rather than for doing excellent quality black metal. This is similar to the hundreds of atmospheric black metal that we daily listen to.

SlipKnoT_SOAD
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:39 pm 

HAHAHAHAHHAH

what a horrible death, mr. varg

vampeta really affected you, huh?

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:14 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
You guys are overreacting, for starters Burzum was never that good to begin with, he is remembered more for being a pioneer of the scene rather than for doing excellent quality black metal.

Wrong.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:01 pm 

poormouth100 wrote:
SanPeron wrote:
You guys are overreacting, for starters Burzum was never that good to begin with, he is remembered more for being a pioneer of the scene rather than for doing excellent quality black metal.

Wrong.

I never understood the hype, I had my Filosofem phase when I was 15 years old, but I found much better black metal outside of Burzum's music. I guess Iam not that into that kind of atmospheric synth sound.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:23 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
poormouth100 wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

Wrong.

I never understood the hype, I had my Filosofem phase when I was 15 years old, but I found much better black metal outside of Burzum's music. I guess Iam not that into that kind of atmospheric synth sound.

Even if you are into that ambient sound there are better bands playing that stuff. He always was an amateur in the worst way possible and all his album are a mess with tons of filler.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next