Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am 

Does anyone except mine excited with these news? Waiting for this.

https://www.darkessencerecords.no/dark- ... gth-album/

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:58 pm 

Could be good; if it sounds like their second album! I saw them live at Eindhoven Metal Meeting a few years ago and they certainly still captured that sound. I think like they're comparable to Hades - they're the unsung and slightly unusual bands when it comes to Norwegian black metal.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

FuneralDoomed23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 pm 

I thought Aeternus lost their way after "And so the Night Became" I was never a fan of their straight up death metal stuff. Both "Beyond the Wandering Moon" and ASTNB are some of the best blackened death metal I have heard. I really hope this new album follows a similar theme as to those two. Looking forward to hearing a new song!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:57 pm 

i thought their last album was their weakest, the first 2 albums are absolutely classics but the couple black/death the albums after that riff so hard.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:44 am 

Honestly I still liked Shadows of Old, but that really was the last album I cared for. The riffs just aren’t memorable after that. I’ll still check it out though on the off chance the magic can still be rekindled.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:27 am 

A familiar name from the end of the 90's. Had the second album briefly I guess. Only vague memories of it.
To this storm called rock and roll!!!

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:14 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i thought their last album was their weakest, the first 2 albums are absolutely classics but the couple black/death the albums after that riff so hard.

For sure. I rank Shadows Of Old up their with the first two but Ascension Of Terror and A Darker Monument are both excellent. Last two are hit and miss.
Will checkout the new one.

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:36 am 

I'm anticipating that this full-length album will sound akin to their first two releases, albeit intertwined with their current approach towards death metal. At any rate, I'm looking forward to a solid output by Aeternus that incorporates melodic traits akin to Beyond the Wandering Moon, and ...and So the Night Became. In particular, if the band incorporated the brooding rhythm sections interspersed throughout their debut album, then I would certainly be satisfied.

Suffice to say, I'm keeping my ear close to the wall with regards to Aeternus' upcoming album.

TooBrute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:41 pm 

I'm excited to hear what this new record has to behold

I actually really enjoyed their most recent LP "...and the Seventh His Soul Detesteth"

I think a lot of people shy away from their later discography because Aeternus is well known for their Dark Metal / Black Metal early days

But I'm one of the few that really really enjoyed their switch to a more "Blackened" Death Metal aesthetic

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:17 pm 

TooBrute wrote:
I'm excited to hear what this new record has to behold

I actually really enjoyed their most recent LP "...and the Seventh His Soul Detesteth"

I think a lot of people shy away from their later discography because Aeternus is well known for their Dark Metal / Black Metal early days

But I'm one of the few that really really enjoyed their switch to a more "Blackened" Death Metal aesthetic

Same for me. I do like their early stuff but death metal era also is very notable. There were high and low moments but their evolution goes without polar style changes.

Reply to topic