Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:24 am 

Arizona death metallers Gatecreeper will release their third full length, Dark Superstition, on May 17 through Nuclear Blast. From the press release:

Quote:
Think of Dark Superstition as Gatecreeper’s answer to Entombed’s Wolverine Blues or Dismember’s Massive Killing Capacity, pivotal albums on which the songs got tighter and more rock influenced. Or even Paradise Lost, who went even further in a rock direction with albums like Icon and Draconian Times. “In the mid-90s, all those bands were evolving into doing their own thing,” Mason says. “I feel like we’ve incorporated that timeline into Gatecreeper.”

Dismember played a particularly prominent role in Dark Superstition. The band’s drummer and main songwriter Fred Estby flew to Arizona to work with Gatecreeper in pre-production, helping them put the finishing touches on their songs. You can hear that classic Swedish influence on “Masterpiece of Chaos,” which evokes the tried-and-true Gatecreeper of Sonoran Depravation. Mason describes the track as “A nightmarish vision of a broken mirror with an ominous creature that lives within the fragmented web of glass.”

Thematically speaking, Dark Superstition deals with the supernatural, divination, fear of the unknown, and trust in magic or chance. “Many of the songs incorporate supernatural ideas with my own experiences,” Mason says. “But the title itself is a reference to the Superstition Mountains in our home state of Arizona. It’s a beautiful mountain range surrounded by tragedy and legends of hidden fortune.”

Gatecreeper widen their sonic palette on “Flesh Habit” and lead single “The Black Curtain,” which bear the mark of UK goth magnates Sisters of Mercy and Fields of the Nephilim. It’s still Gatecreeper in all their HM-2 glory, but with a sharper edge. “The Black Curtain” embodies the album’s theme with a tale of divination. “It’s about being trapped between living and dying,” Mason says. “A soul trapped in purgatory begging to be brought back by a supernatural force.”

Meanwhile, advance single “Caught in the Treads” deals in the kind of high-powered melodic death metal that will surely beef up Gatecreeper’s festival game. Along with leadoff track “Dead Star,” the song represents an elevated version of the band, primed for the bigger stages that the new album will inevitably take them to.

Dark Superstition was recorded at God City Studios in Salem, Massachusetts, with Converge guitarist Kurt Ballou, who also mixed the album. The record is a direct result of Gatecreeper’s experience, musical refinement, and commitment to death metal. “There’s a lot of bands in our lane,” Mason says. “But we’re trying to create our own."

Tracklisting:
1. Dead Star
2. Oblivion
3. The Black Curtain
4. Masterpiece of Chaos
5. Superstitious Vision
6. A Chilling Aura
7. Caught in the Treads
8. Flesh Habit
9. Mistaken For Dead
10. Tears Fall From The Sky

The Black Curtain and Caught in the Treads have been released as singles:
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

From the singles they've releases so far it looks like they going in a more melodic death metal and/or death'n'roll direction on this album. I know they've mentioned early In Flames as an influence on some of the songs for instance. The Unexpected Reality EP was an interesting detour into more of a deathgrind (and death/doom on the last track) sound, and it looks like they've continued with that experimentation just in a different direction.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
ColdJustice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:31 am 

I am excited, enthralled as well. I am a fan of their debut album.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:12 pm 

Yeah.... this isn't shaping up to be my cup of tea. I really enjoyed Sonoran Deprivation, the Iron Reagan split and the Unexpected Reality EP. Deserted was a meh sandwich. I prefer these guys when they lean into the Hardcore end of the spectrum, like something more akin to Nails. This melodic death n' roll thing is not my jam at all.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:36 pm 

I'm not huge on the new direction but will check out the album. I was a huge fan of these guys when Sonoran Depravation was released but wasn't as big on Deserted.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:48 pm 

I loved the hardcore and death metal mix of their previous albums, but I have to say I am not the biggest euro melodeath fan, I respect that the guys tried to do something different, and I will always acknowledge that in a band. This is cool, it sounds like Soilwork and I like that kind of bands, they are very easy to listen to and remind me of 2000s metalcore scene a little bit.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:28 am 

Their debut didn't really grab me for whatever reason, so I just kinda filed them away under the "new dm bands that don't work for me" file and forgot about 'em. But after seeing all the comments about their change in direction, I figured I should give this new stuff a shot.

Both of the singles had this weird effect where it felt like every section was the leadup to the cool part but instead of the cool part ever coming they just kept doing the part before it again. Does that make sense? It does to me.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:55 am 

In my opinion melodic guitar work and hardcore growls do not fit together. At all. The song itself sounds curiously good to me, but that spitting from the vocalist make a bad alloy.

gregorgojira
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm 

I get why a lot of people wouldn't dig this, but even as someone who loves hardcore music, and everything Gatecreeper has done before, I really believe this is their apex.

Weirdly enough, I feel like this is the most appropriate follow up to the Unexpected Reality EP, it's a complete 180 but it works in their favor.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:16 pm 

Eh... I like their previous stuff, but this is about as exciting as later Amon Amarth. Such a shame.
Fire walk with me"

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:07 pm 

I've started to get the sense that these bands are moving more towards Dismember and Edge of Sanity as they reach the point where they've done all they can with the caveman style. I personally don't mind.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:39 pm 

The first single reminds me of "Massive Killing Capacity" era Dismember.
This newest one has shades of Paradise Lost and In Flames (bits of it made me think of "Only for the Weak" specifically).

I really liked the more hardcore-oriented direction they took on "An Unexpected Reality" and it's my favorite release by them. Was kind of hoping they'd do more of that, but this isn't bad. Will be checking out the new album.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:08 am 

Glad I wasn’t the only one who heard some Paradise Lost in the newest single. It sounds like something from their Icon/DT era but done in a death metal style. I’m curious to hear if these singles are outliers or if this album really will be a big stylistic shift for them. Not sure I’d mind either way - I’m glad a young band seems to be getting a lot of fanfare, but I have mixed feelings on their previous material. Some great stuff and some very forgettable stuff.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:00 pm 

Here's the third single:

This track is much more in line with their usual sound than the previous two.

Reply to topic