Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:11 pm 

Doubtless this topic has existed before, but it's time for some current opinions. Give some reasoning for your choices to prevent this becoming a list topic.

My all time favourite Maiden song full-stop is Purgatory. A speed metal song full of brilliant riffs, limitless energy, classic solo, Clive's drumming is frantic and flawless, and among the best performance Di'anno ever gave. This song was always the highlight of Killers for me. It's a bit strange this song tends to be one of the more overlooked ones, I bet if this was a Dickinson original it would probably placed up there with The Trooper and others by most, because it just screams classic.

Other Di'anno favourites would be Phantom of the Opera for it's super twisting nature and really gloomy atmosphere throughout that most Dickinson Maiden lacks, no doubt supported by Di'anno's vocals. Sanctuary is another classic for me, with one of the best solos in metal history in my opinion. Iron Maiden itself is amazing, with really emotional riffs. Honestly I could place the entire first album as favourites for me, Di'anno absolutely makes that record.

My favourite Dickinson song is probably Die With Your Boots On, with a really interesting structure and much more morose riffs in comparison to The Trooper. The Duelists would probably be up there too with one of the greatest instrumental segments in Maiden history. Infinite Dreams also comes to mind as another song that twists absolutely everywhere in its 6 minute runtime. Hallowed Be Thy Name of course has to be mentioned too, but I've often thought it sounds like it would fit Di'anno more than Bruce and I've always thought of what it would sound like with the former. I'm convinced it was written, or at least was planned when Di'anno was still in the band.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:24 pm 

Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Powerslave was the first song from Maiden I heard in 1985, when I was 8 and I immediately fell in love with it as something completely different from anything else yet so exciting.

Rime is just perfect Maiden with a huge dose of atmosphere, a song that feels like 6 minutes.

Those two songs are peak Iron Maiden for me and while the entire album isn't on the same level, it's my favorite Maiden album as well.

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Best of 2016- The sloppiest list on the web

Remember the Fallen: Paul Baloff (Exodus), Keith Deen (Holy Terror)

Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:43 pm 

Where Eagles Dare: great riffs and what's best, no superfluous soloing like in so many Maiden songs.

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:08 pm 

Regarding Hallowed being pre-Dickinson, I think the four songs he had a hand in on NotB were Children of the Damned, The Prisoner, Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills. I'm not sure about NotB but certainly that he liked playing The Prisoner solo I think shows he was a big part of that song. So Hallowed may have been Harris' baby for a long time (especially since so many of lyrics were pinched from Beckett's 1974 album).

Oh yeah favs are the Dickinson songs. Revelations and Powerslave especially.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:20 pm 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
Where Eagles Dare: great riffs and what's best, no superfluous soloing like in so many Maiden songs.

I easily rank “Where Eagles Dare” as Iron Maiden’s greatest drumming performance. And it is in general one of their heaviest songs, alongside “The Trooper” and “Montsegur”. Fifteen years later, “Montsegur” still slaps my ass, and it has some of their finest obscure history type lyrics.
Among their longer songs, “Brighter than a Thousand Suns” has everything. The menacing buildup, that “...there it is!” moment when it jumps up a notch (we will feel the pain of his beginning), a super crunchy riff and lyrics that are just beyond.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:27 pm 

"The Number of the Beast" - Crackling with energy; just this fireball, scorcher of a song. Bruce is iconic and there's nothing else that sounds like this. I can't imagine what it would've been like to hear this back in the early 80s when the band wasn't entrenched in this kind of style yet.

"Flight of Icarus" - Kick ass, unforgettable mid tempo marching riff and a super bombastic vocal performance. Always so much fun.

"Powerslave" - Just so epic, with that monster Egyptian riff, the dynamic epic structure and those fucking bad ass lyrics. This is basically a perfect metal song.

"Wasted Years" - Commercial and catchy, but still undeniably metal with great performances. This is just an unforgettable song and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

"Isle of Avalon" - This song has always taken me on a musical journey and I like every part of it from the rapid-fire chorus to the more mid-paced rock riff in one of the bridge parts. Epic as hell.

"Empire of the Clouds" - Definitely over-excessive, but I don't really view it as a bad thing. It's full of life and revels in how excessive it is.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:35 pm 

Aces High is the first song that comes to mind. The introduction has those adrenalizing chords, the verses and pre-choruses are at the perfect level of intensity, and the choruses are soaring in the way that no power metal band can ever achieve. Despite only having two verse-chorus sets, it feels complete and doesn't resort to the recycling common in the Di'Anno era. Also the perfect concert opener.

Moonchild is another major favorite. In addition to being another amazing opener with the acoustic opening transitioning to another sweet buildup and fast verses, the whole thing is absolutely diabolical. Between Bruce throwing out every occult reference he can muster, the riffs are thoroughly twisted. The solo section is just plain EVIL in a way that so few replicate. The whole thing makes Number of the Beast look like child's play.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:44 pm 

Prowler. Short and catchy with instantly recognizable punk vibe which suited them perfectly in DiAnno era.

Where Eagles Dare for reasons already mentioned above.

Infinite Dreams for introspective, laid back atmosphere and cathartic finish.

Alexander the Great and Sign of the Cross among epics. Masterful songwriting without a note wasted.

Ghost of the Navigator and Starblind from later material. The former is probably my favorite Maiden track ever made. The bridge part will always send chills down my spine. Starblind for lyrics alone.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:54 pm 

Favourite song overall - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Favourite other Dickinson song - Fear of the Dark

Favourite Di'Anno songs - Remember Tomorrow and Innocent Exile

Thy Shrine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 pm 

Just here to say that To Tame A Land, and Sign of the Cross are Iron Maiden's best epics, as well as among their best songs.

I've always loved Infinite Dreams, because of the beginning soft part of the song, and same thing for Remember Tommorow.

But seriously, Tame, and Sign rule supreme.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:01 pm 

Obligatory "The Number of the Beast," "Hallowed Be Thy Name," "2 Minutes to Midnight," and "Run to the Hills."

My top spots also include "Gangland," "The Prisoner," "Deja Vu," "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," and "Wasted Years."
In This Corner of the World
After That: Land of the Lustrous and Dead Leaves

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:35 pm 

Vigintiseptem wrote:

I hate to be all "mee too!!!" but... Yeah, if that isn't my all time favorite, it is certainly right up there in the top two or three.
One of the greatest riffs in all of metal, not just in all of Maiden's discography.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:26 pm 

I'll be a little controversial and admit I fucking love the widely despised song "The Apparition", that song has such a fun, rockin' vibe about it that always gets me in a good mood. Other favorites of mine include "Still Life", "The Duellists", and "The Clairvoyant".

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:26 am 

Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Alexander the Great for me. I love me some epics.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:41 am 

Here's some:

Killers - Huge energy in this song. That bass and those screams!
Children of the Damned - Just a well executed heavy metal track. Love the solo.
Aces High and Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Former got me started with Maiden, and latter is a top 5 song of all times for me.
The Clairvoyant - The first song I loved from Seventh Son. It used to be my favourite Maiden album, not sure anymore, though.
Sign of the Cross - Blaze Maiden at their best.
When the Wild Wind Blows - Been listening this quite much lately. To me this is their last really BIG song.
To this storm called rock and roll!!!

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:00 am 

I've gone for a mix of obvious favourites and some deeper cuts for my top 10:

1) Sign Of The Cross = the ultimate Maiden epic and their finest hour in terms of song writing, regardless of what anyone says. I prefer the Bruce-sung live versions but the studio version is great too. This song is just mighty, epic, and fantastic. One of my favourite metal songs ever, in fact in all of music really. Finally seeing it performed live this year was fantastic.

2) Aces High = One of their all-time great openers

3) Powerslave = Epic and fantastic

4) Phantom Of The Opera = Their first proper epic, and a song that should always be in the set list IMO. Still a rewarding listen.

5) Caught Somewhere In Time = Possibly their heaviest song and a fantastic opener with a really great atmosphere to it. The whole SiT album is very listenable and rewards repeated plays. Would love to hear this one played live.

6) Killers = The title track of their weakest album, but it's a stormer. A real sense of atmosphere and ambience and noir to all versions of it, live or studio.

7) Running Free = Perhaps a little basic, but this has always been in my top ten Maiden songs, I love hearing it live with the extended crowd interaction.

8) Infinite Dreams = The highlight of Seventh Son, and a powerful, progressive metal epic.

9) Paschendale = Smith's attempt at writing an epic, with some help, and it works. Majestically. A very powerful and poignant song which needs to be in the set more often.

10) The Legacy = Simply amazing. Their best closing song ever, IMO. Very interesting structure (I can never understand why Gers is criticised by some; his playing and off-the-wall songwriting really bring something extra to the table for the band, and he's so energetic to watch live) and an extremely powerful and thought-provoking set of lyrics.

lordcatfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:14 am 

Aces High - an amazing, energetic opener with a great sing a long chorus. One of my favourite live songs.
The Evil That Men Do - another one of my favourite live songs. Builds up to the chorus really well.
Rainmaker - fantastic melodies and some highly memorable vocal hooks.
Stranger in a Strange Land - really captures the mood and tone of the lyrics. Top solo from Smith as well.
Blood Brothers - Gers plays my favourite Maiden solo in this one (just before the final chorus) that perfectly encapsulates the emotion of the song.

Reply to topic