Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:45 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
I thought Dead Again was an amazing follow up to the (purposely?) mediocre and disappointing Life Is Killing Me.

Why would it be purposefully mediocre?

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:05 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
I thought Dead Again was an amazing follow up to the (purposely?) mediocre and disappointing Life Is Killing Me.

Why would it be purposefully mediocre?

The same way Deicide's Insinerhatehymm and In Torment In Hell were-to fulfill a contract with a label they were unhappy with (in both cases, Roadrunner) to quickly sever ties. At least, that's what I heard around the time (of course, I have no way of corroborating that).
Obliteration

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 pm 

Fuck thats a bummer !! Always liked him, he was a pretty unique character and had a dark funny humor.

I hope this is just another one of his jokes...

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:09 pm 

Well that explains the Deicide part of that haha...I always wondered why those albums were sorta not a big deal.

I thought originally why the Type O Negative album would have been purposely mediocre is because maybe it was a joke somewhat. The joke would be the music being mediocre. I'd have to hear that album again...I heard it before and didn't like it much but I'll have to check that out again.
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

demisetheflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:10 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
2ndComing wrote:
Noctir wrote:
I did that. I thought it best to wait for a formal statement from either band or label, or a report from a reliable news outlet, before listing him as dead.

A lot of people check this site for info and it's irresponsible to 'confirm' it here based only on rumours or things on other message boards.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, shouldn't Pete be in the former members section? Rather hard to be in a band when you've passed. Also, perhaps changing the status to Unknown might be something to consider. It's hard to imagine the band continuing without it's main songwriter unless they pull a Doors.

Impossible. TON was about Pete, about his problems and his life, how would you imagine the band continuing without its meaning? It would be a lack of respect on Pete's part even.

I have to disagree with that statement, I think that they should continue on and evolve.

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:15 pm 

I don't know I think alot of people would agree with myself that continuing on Type O Negative without Peter is like continuing Megadeth without Dave Mustaine. Like if Ellefson decided to carry the band on and Nick Menza came back.
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

WASDman00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:19 pm 

I wish that I got into them entirely before this happened. The band is amazing especially Pete himself. R.I.P. big guy. Loving you was like loving the dead.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:21 pm 

demisetheflesh wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
2ndComing wrote:
Noctir wrote:
I did that. I thought it best to wait for a formal statement from either band or label, or a report from a reliable news outlet, before listing him as dead.

A lot of people check this site for info and it's irresponsible to 'confirm' it here based only on rumours or things on other message boards.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, shouldn't Pete be in the former members section? Rather hard to be in a band when you've passed. Also, perhaps changing the status to Unknown might be something to consider. It's hard to imagine the band continuing without it's main songwriter unless they pull a Doors.

Impossible. TON was about Pete, about his problems and his life, how would you imagine the band continuing without its meaning? It would be a lack of respect on Pete's part even.

I have to disagree with that statement, I think that they should continue on and evolve.

It's a circus without the goddamn ringleader. They should form a new band if they want to do something else - which two members have already, apparently.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:21 pm 

demisetheflesh wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
2ndComing wrote:
Noctir wrote:

Why would a band who's sole songwriter died continue on under the same name? Why live under that shadow? It doesn't make sense man. If anything, I'd think they'd change names.

witchammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:22 pm 

demisetheflesh wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
2ndComing wrote:
Noctir wrote:

No way! Pete was certainly the most integral part of the band. As much as I enjoy the instrumentation, his lyrics and vocals were what made them so good.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:26 pm 

Watching some interviews today, it sounds like the Type O guys were already planning for this day (Johnny & Kenny with Seventh Void and Josh going to school to become an EMT) and Peter knew it and understood. Best of luck to those guys in the future.

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:45 pm 

R.I.P. Peter.

I've seen you live... I've seen your dick.. and now you're free.

:(

Yes they did, but they scavenged them from animals that had died naturally. "Viking" is actually an archaic word for "Vegan".

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:46 pm 

This is shaping up to be a really shitty day.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

demisetheflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:33 pm 

witchammer wrote:
demisetheflesh wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
2ndComing wrote:
Noctir wrote:

No way! Pete was certainly the most integral part of the band. As much as I enjoy the instrumentation, his lyrics and vocals were what made them so good.

I didn't question how important he was to them and their developement, but wat I meerly meant is that I think they should find someone to take over vocal and/or bass duties and help them evolve. Peter may be dead, god rest his soul, but I firmly beleive they have life left kicking inside them, enough so that I think it would be a waste, as well as an insult, uf they gave up at their lowest instead of sticking to their guns and fighting their way out of Waterloo.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:41 pm 

Man this is the worst metal news I've heard in a while. Rip peter, type o will always be one of my favorites.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:47 pm 

demisetheflesh wrote:

I didn't question how important he was to them and their developement, but wat I meerly meant is that I think they should find someone to take over vocal and/or bass duties and help them evolve. Peter may be dead, god rest his soul, but I firmly beleive they have life left kicking inside them, enough so that I think it would be a waste, as well as an insult, uf they gave up at their lowest instead of sticking to their guns and fighting their way out of Waterloo.

I don't understand, evolve to where? How would it be wrong to play in their other band? Type O always reflected Peter's life and state of mind, how do you evolve from that when you don't (and can't) have the same inspiration for getting there in the first place. If they ever continue, you'd be sure it wouldn't be an evolution because it would be too different to compare, thus another band. It's like Motorhead without Lemmy or Sodom without Tom.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:51 pm 

Damn, another metal icon is lost. R.I.P. Peter. listening to Bloody Kisses now.

demisetheflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:06 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
demisetheflesh wrote:

I don't understand, evolve to where? How would it be wrong to play in their other band? Type O always reflected Peter's life and state of mind, how do you evolve from that when you don't (and can't) have the same inspiration for getting there in the first place. If they ever continue, you'd be sure it wouldn't be an evolution because it would be too different to compare, thus another band. It's like Motorhead without Lemmy or Sodom without Tom.

I think it would be wrong as I think that it's a crutch to rely on one person to do everything. It may have reflected his life and mental state, but there, statistically speaking, are multiple Peter Steeles in the world, and so what if it doesn't have the same feel? We don't know how it will go down with out giving it a shot.

Plus evolution would mean it would be different. Bands I'll cite for my defense are Napalm Death, Disgorge, and Decapitated,

I see potential in this change, miss Steele and would have rather the change occur another way.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:07 pm 

I don't believe it myself. Until a credible source picks it up (i.e. Newspapers, magazines, etc.) I won't shed a single tear.
But If I do see it in newsweek next week... I will cry and spend an hour in my room listening to all his albums.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

Bolth_Mannn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm 

KingVold wrote:
I don't believe it myself. Until a credible source picks it up (i.e. Newspapers, magazines, etc.) I won't shed a single tear.
But If I do see it in newsweek next week... I will cry and spend an hour in my room listening to all his albums.

demisetheflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:11 pm 

Bolth_Mannn wrote:
KingVold wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Aoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 pm 

It's hard to believe it, but he's dead. It is a strange feeling when these iconic figures die.

May Peter Steele rest in eternal peace.

"So in this gray haze
We'll be meeting again
And on that great day
I will tease you all the same"
:ugh:

MichaelSmith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:48 pm 

God DAMN it!!!

This is really starting to bring me down. I didn't think I'd ever miss him, but DAMN IT!!!

RIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

2ndComing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:13 pm 

demisetheflesh wrote:

I see potential in this change, miss Steele and would have rather the change occur another way.

Ever try Seventh Void? It's not like Type O, but since Peter wrote all of the material (pretty sure literally everything), it's to be expected. It has Johnny and Kelly.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:20 pm 

demisetheflesh wrote:
I think it would be wrong as I think that it's a crutch to rely on one person to do everything. It may have reflected his life and mental state, but there, statistically speaking, are multiple Peter Steeles in the world, and so what if it doesn't have the same feel? We don't know how it will go down with out giving it a shot.

Plus evolution would mean it would be different. Bands I'll cite for my defense are Napalm Death, Disgorge, and Decapitated,

Artistically speaking, there was only one Peter Steele.

In addition to him being one of the most iconic figures in the music industry, Type O Negative was HIS BAND. He founded it, he wrote the music and lyrics, he gave the band its soul and purpose. Hell, that's his butthole on the album cover. I'm not even a fan and I think it would be a shitty idea. Terminating the band would not be about giving up when the chips are down, but about moving on (you know, evolving) and respecting the memory of their friend.

Don't even mention Mayhem, either. Hellhammer should have just come up with a new name for his new band and covered some Mayhem tunes for the fans.

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:23 pm 

Well, there is one thing that I'd consider...if Type O Negative were to go on without Peter. I'd have Kenny sing everything. Yeah he doesn't have that deep voice, but he's from the family, he's sang on a few songs...has a great voice that's all his own. But other than that, unless they get a new singer that totally makes sense with the sound they already established, I'd say it would be pointless to continue without Peter.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:52 pm 

i'm really interested to know what caused the supposed heart failure. it's kind of awkward that after getting sober, and always looking like he had a great physique, that someone like him would have heart failure so soon. maybe a life of misery and depression just took its toll on the mans heart, or he was taking antidepressants or some medication that caused the failure. i hope Michael Jackson's doctor wasn't involved.

Possum Vomit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 pm 

typeonegative.net wrote:
Official Statement about Peter Steele

Posted: April 15, 2010, 06:19:19 PM by admin in .

It is with great sadness that we inform you that Type O Negative front man, bassist, and our band mate, Peter Steele passed away last night of what appears to be heart failure.

Ironically Peter had been enjoying a long period of sobriety and improved health and was imminently due to begin writing and recording new music for our follow up to "Dead Again" released in 2007.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results. The funeral services will be private and memorial services will be announced at a future date. We’d like to share our thoughts and those of Peter’s family below.
We are truly saddened to lose our friend and appreciate the tremendous outpouring today from around the world.

Sincerely,

Josh, Kenny and Johnny

Josh Silver: “Peter, My endless source of frustration, (as I'm yours) you have really done it this time. You have changed and touched countless lives through music, comedy and often brutal honesty. You've made life both interesting and irritating and I could not imagine not having known you for 37 years. It still isn't true in my mind but in time I will miss you and the creating that we all endured together. We certainly disagreed constantly and I believe (and hope) we all learned from each other. Should I call you my brother, friend or neighbor? I can only call you Peter (and usually after 2 PM). We laughed at ourselves more times then I can count. Knowing humans are preposterous creatures and I know we reveled in that fact. I will miss you in time, but at this moment your premature departure seems surreal and has pissed me off to no end. Though I never told you that I harbor a deep respect for you, I do. Goodbye my friend.”

Kenny Hickey: “Peter Steele was one of the most brilliant and funny personalities in music and it was all for real. Half the time people thought he was joking, but he was actually telling the truth. Part of me died with him.”

Johnny Kelly: “It’s impossible for me to put into a few sentences what I am feeling at the moment Peter. I’m not sure if I should eulogize or roast you. Both good and bad, we went on one hell of a ride together and sadly, the ride has come to an end. You truly were a unique person. Your music touched many people. Myself included. Whether it was talking about The Beatles, power tools, how Pluto was no longer considered a planet or calling me at 3am asking me to drive to your house to have a fistfight with you, you always kept it interesting. It was a privilege to have been your bandmate. It’s something that I will always cherish.”

In a statement issued today by Steele`s family: “Legendary Goth/Heavy Metal musician Peter Steele died suddenly Wednesday, April 14, 2010, after a short illness at the age of 48. He wrote and orchestrated the music for the Brooklyn-based band Type O Negative, a groundbreaking group known for its dramatic lyrical emphasis on the themes of romance, depression, and death. Steele, renowned as much for his striking physical appearance as his musical talent, was the creative force behind the bands 20-year success writing most of the material for the their albums. Type O Negative and Steele have been lauded as a major influence by numerous alternative and metal bands. The band gained a worldwide following through touring and recording seven studio albums, two best-of compilations, concert DVDs and music videos. Their 1993 album “Bloody Kisses” went platinum, and the 1996 follow-up “October Rust” went gold.

The music world has lost a great talent, and music fans worldwide are mourning, but for our family we are mourning a beloved brother, uncle, cousin, friend and funny man. Peter Steele was a complex man, known for his brooding looks, his self-deprecating sense of humor, unique view of the world, and most of all his loyalty to his fans, friends and family. Survived by five sisters, the eldest living sister notes that he was more than our brother, he was our son. His untimely death is tragic – a great loss to us and to music. The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results, and funeral plans at present remain unknown. The family thanks fans for their loyalty to Peter and band members, but request that fans and media respect their wishes for privacy.

In addition to his success in music, Peter Steele also tried his hand at acting, appearing in HBO`s Oz and the cult classic film Bad Acid. He also composed music for the film soundtracks “Freddy vs. Jason” and “Mortal Combat”, the television movie “Nosferatu: The First Vampire”, and the soon-to-be released “Living the American Nightmare.”

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 pm 

too bad...

I never really got around to getting into Type O Negative, but for some reason, I always really liked Peter Steele... I guess I'm not the only one...

ARProductions
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:05 am 

I thought he was a great vocalist, its a sad deal that he has past on. Rest in Peace.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:26 am 

The most depressing out of all those great musicians getting sick and/or dying, is that Ozzy will probably outlive them all. :ugh:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:41 am 

Morrigan wrote:
The most depressing out of all those great musicians getting sick and/or dying, is that Ozzy will probably outlive them all. :ugh:

but I'm the fooking prince of darkness mun

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:32 am 

Really tragic. This is a heavier blow to the metal scene than most people would imagine.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:44 am 

Morrigan wrote:

What's the difference between Ozzy and Peter? Both spent half their lives drunk and stoned, both created some good music.

mehoff_of_jackness
Nationalist Juggalo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:48 am 

What cused his heart failur? Too much cokw>?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 am 

Never liked any of his music at all, but deaths in metal is never good thing.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 am 

mehoff_of_jackness wrote:

Probably. Even if he has been clean for a while now, with a history of drug abuse like his it was only a matter of time.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
mehoff_of_jackness wrote:

Probably. Even if he has been clean for a while now, with a history of drug abuse like his it was only a matter of time.

Death is only a matter of time no matter what your history is.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 am 

Touche. But you know what I mean.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:29 am 

Expedience wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

What's the difference between Ozzy and Peter? Both spent half their lives drunk and stoned, both created some good music.

The difference is that Peter actually made music while Ozzy only had people working for him. Hell, he didn't even write the lyrics for Black Sabbath.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next