Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:50 am 

NJdEvil508 wrote:
Quote:
Also, the DOO-BEE, DOO-BEE part in the intro of 'Mass Hypnosis' by Sepultura is quite annoying; although the rest of the song is phenomenal.

You mean the high pitched one? I don't find it annoying. It actually sounds like a melody that could be from some old horror film.

I thought the same thing too. The doobeedoobee is well... I disliked it at first, but now I guess it's good, in a creepy kind of way :)
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:56 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
I don't think Quest for Fire is musically bad, but that opening line just annoys the hell out of me. There were no dinosaurs when cavemen were aroud! What is this song about, the Flintstones?

I don't really mind that line too much. It's stupid, sure, but it's just one line out of the song; not like Maiden are museum curators. They're a metal band; they probably just put that line in because it sounded good to them at the time...or maybe they just weren't thinking straight. Either way it doesn't matter to me much.

It is just that first line that is incorrect. The rest of the lyrics follow the basic plot of the film. But for the band to name the song after the film/book, with most of the lyrics telling the same story, it just seems strange that they would include that opening line when clearly dinosaurs were not in the film.
But like you said, it doesn't matter much. Most people probably haven't seen/read it anyway. The book is in french and the film has no proper dialogue.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:46 am 

LokiGoddess wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
And fuck, what's more fucking annoying than that you-know-what in the beginning of Bathory's "Pace Till Death"? I fucking hate that all the way to Mars and back, so fucking grating, argh!!

That schoolyard mocking "nee ner nee ner nee ner" thing? yeah, that's really annoying.

It was on purpose. Quorthon was mocking all the (then) black metal bands who were playing faster and faster because he thought they were missing the point.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:34 am 

somefella wrote:
It was on purpose.

Well, duh. You think?

almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:22 am 

On Burning Witch's "Rift.Canyon.Dreams", there's a short warm-up session before the song kicks in. Stephen O'Malley plays this weird little flamenco part, but because it's (obviously) really detuned and fuzzed-up, it just sounds awful. I usually skip thirty seconds into it whenever I feel like listening to it.

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:01 am 

Emperor - Depraved, at about 2.10.

It's not the worst riff ever, but it sticks in my mind as the worst thing Emperor did.

TheDragon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:54 pm 

I HATE when the outro to Opeth's Burden gets more and more distorted. Ruins such a beautiful ending to a song.

In Flames - Take This Life - that verse riff is pretty stupid.

Some songs from Katatonia - There's some pretty odd decisions here and there, where it feels like they're trying to avoid genericness and turn out with a shitty riff with a lot of potential, albeit generic.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:06 am 

screamingstatue wrote:
Also, the DOO-BEE, DOO-BEE part in the intro of 'Mass Hypnosis' by Sepultura is quite annoying

wow, never had any problems with that. In fact, I love it.
I got more annoyed when Kisser wrote entire albums full of those thingies after Max left....

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:10 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
MorbidSepulDeath wrote:
...and I still think the people who are complaining about 'Pace 'Til Death' are crazy.

Agreed! If anything the rest of the song makes up for it, but to me that song is a kind of cheeky, playful sort of song anyway, so it fits.

I agree as well. Just one little tongue-in-cheek moment after three albums full of pure evil. Well, that bandpicture too. He was obviously having lots of fun.

pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:31 am 

Right after the cool, dark opening verse, I fucking hate the annoying "happy" riff before the chorus in Of Stars And Smoke by Candlemass. Awesome album otherwise

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:36 am 

EntilZha wrote:
Being so concerned with the scientific accuracy of metal lyrics you probably don't listen to thrash much, let alone death metal...

Or watch much scifi, or read pulp classics.

"Quest for Fire" is short and harmless. I certainly don't mind it. "Son in Steel" on the other hand has that chorus, which I don't care for.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4