Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jormungandr_Sorvali
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:12 pm 

hellhammer161 wrote:
I still wonder what makes Transilvanian Hunger a masterpiece. The riff is so fucking simple and repetitive. It's a kind of style that can bore me easily but I love that album and everything about it. The song is amazing as well and even though the riff is so simple, it's such a classic.

Well, I guess I could try and hope to explain slightly.

The chords underlying the main riff of the song are A minor, followed by F major, which is the classic progression commonly used to create a sorrowful, or epic sound. However, the notes in the main riff are D, C, B, C, C, B, C, B. The only note out of these that is a note in either of the chords is C. The ther notes are not part of the chord, and where this would usually sound bad because they are held on to for a significant amount of time, sounds good because it seems to sort of slip, but still very sorrowful. This sort of thing is common in lament style songs. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lD-DVG6HYg

By the way, I kind of doubt Darkthrone knew this, but they still write fantastic songs nonetheless.

hellhammer161
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:43 am 

Jormungandr_Sorvali wrote:
hellhammer161 wrote:
I still wonder what makes Transilvanian Hunger a masterpiece. The riff is so fucking simple and repetitive. It's a kind of style that can bore me easily but I love that album and everything about it. The song is amazing as well and even though the riff is so simple, it's such a classic.

The chords underlying the main riff of the song are A minor, followed by F major, which is the classic progression commonly used to create a sorrowful, or epic sound. However, the notes in the main riff are D, C, B, C, C, B, C, B. The only note out of these that is a note in either of the chords is C. The ther notes are not part of the chord, and where this would usually sound bad because they are held on to for a significant amount of time, sounds good because it seems to sort of slip, but still very sorrowful. This sort of thing is common in lament style songs. Example:

By the way, I kind of doubt Darkthrone knew this, but they still write fantastic songs nonetheless.

When does the song go to F major? I can see the A minor.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:26 am 

hellhammer161 wrote:
hellhammer161 wrote:

The main riff is 16 beats; it drops to F at beat 9.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:33 am 

For those interested - I looked up both "Transilvanian Hunger" and "Transylvanian Hunger" on the archives. When you subtract all the Darkthrone results, the rest is covers; for "Transilvanian Hunger", there are 106 results, 2 are Darkthrone themselves. The results for "Transylvanian Hunger" number 31. Some bands have a cover on more than one release. To get quite specific, it's 135 cover versions by 127 different bands. In other words, holy fucking shitballs.

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:34 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
hellhammer161 wrote:
hellhammer161 wrote:

The main riff is 16 beats; it drops to F at beat 9.

False. The main riff goes from A to E. En As I Dype Skogen does this progression however (albeit from E flat to B).

Jormungandr_Sorvali
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 am 

hellhammer161 wrote:
hellhammer161 wrote:

It doesn't change key, until the second riff, but the chords in the main riff switch between A minor and F major.

defyexistance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:37 am 

james1902009 wrote:
Do I have a point here, or am I just crazy?

You have a point. Totally true.
"Our bodies will turn to ashes, our bones will fade to dust, our lives will be forgotten, all our dreams crushed... reality, perception, biased by our egos, mutilated by our superegos, I transcend these for now I am one with the void."-Eclipse Eternal

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:30 am 

apparently i'm one of the few that seem to think this album and particularly song, sucks ass. i LOVE Darkthrones minimalist approach but i though TH was just were they took it too far and it's just a thrown together hunk of trash, i've never even got through the whole album cause i just get bored as all hell.

i'd say 'To Walk the Infernal Fields' is more along the lines of what i'd consider a beautiful, sorrowful, and/or completely badass Black Metal song. or 'Where the Cold Wind Blows' on that note

though i'm not the biggest Black Metal person anyway, least 2nd wave, so ignore me all ya want

hank_mccain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:35 pm 

In Albert Mudrian's new book Precious Metal there is a chapter devoted to the album which offers some interesting insight on recording, inspiration, lyrics, etc.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:23 pm 

hellhammer161 wrote:
hellhammer161 wrote:

It doesn't change key, until the second riff, but the chords in the main riff switch between A minor and F major.

The riff switches between A minor and E (possibly minor too, there's no way to tell, but the presence of C instead of C# in the melody suggests it should be interpreted as minor). The middle break in the song DOES prominently feature F, though, as it just repeats E-F-E-F until they go back to the main riff.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:42 pm 

hank_mccain wrote:
In Albert Mudrian's new book Precious Metal there is a chapter devoted to the album which offers some interesting insight on recording, inspiration, lyrics, etc.

Holy mother of god, thanks for bringing this up. I loved Choosing Death, had no idea this new one existed, and have an unhealthy obsession with "behind the scenes"-type stuff. I am ordering this yesterday.

Tea_and_Crumpets
"Fail" is a sentence fragment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:22 pm 

so cold..... so pure!

demigod93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:13 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Per_Ignem_Ad_Lucem wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:
"En Aas I Dype Skogen" > "Transilvanian Hunger" in terms of beauty, coldness and sorrowfulness.

"Transilvanian Hunger" < "En Aas I Dype Skogen" < "As Flittermice As Satans Spys"

as much as i love 'En Aas I Dype Skogen', the riff throughout 'Flittermice' is just so sinister and evil, and coupled with the blasting drums..i love it so much i made it my text ringtone.

Flittermice may be my favourite off TH. Love the pick down the strings at the beginning, the way the occassional bass melody works with the guitar, Varg's Lyrics.

Varg wrote his best lyrics for Transilvanian Hunger. Much better than a lot of other stuff he did:

"Hear my Sword
...in the Making
Of my Spell
Literally!!!!"

:lol: Oh my god, I`ve never heard that song, but my god, those lyrics make me laugh my ass off.

I really like Transylvanian Hunger, but I find it`s not as amazing once you learn how simple it is on guitar. Still a great song though. My personal favorite album is Under A Funeral Moon, though.

demigod93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:15 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:
"En Aas I Dype Skogen" > "Transilvanian Hunger" in terms of beauty, coldness and sorrowfulness.

"Transilvanian Hunger" < "En Aas I Dype Skogen" < "As Flittermice As Satans Spys"

as much as i love 'En Aas I Dype Skogen', the riff throughout 'Flittermice' is just so sinister and evil, and coupled with the blasting drums..i love it so much i made it my text ringtone.

Flittermice may be my favourite off TH. Love the pick down the strings at the beginning, the way the occassional bass melody works with the guitar, Varg's Lyrics.

Varg wrote his best lyrics for Transilvanian Hunger. Much better than a lot of other stuff he did:

"Hear my Sword
...in the Making
Of my Spell
Literally!!!!"

:lol: Oh my god, I`ve never heard that song, but my god, those lyrics make me laugh my ass off.

I really like Transylvanian Hunger, but I find it`s not as amazing once you learn how simple it is on guitar. Still a great song though. My personal favorite album is Under A Funeral Moon, though.

demigod93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:15 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:

"Hear my Sword
...in the Making
Of my Spell
Literally!!!!"

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2