Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 pm 

Now these guys seem like they will be hated by the metal community for the most part. But, I saw them live with Exodus, Arch Enemy, and Arsis. They were decent in my opinion. I find them catchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvWDFGuBD_Y

That is in my opinion their best song, their album is going to be released in February, what are your opinions on them?
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Marwyn_Blackstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 pm 

I like the vocalist a lot. I think the rest of the band could be better but time will tell and we can see where they go.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:32 pm 

The album leaked a week or two ago actually. Gets a big "meh" from me.

Zeroflux
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 pm 

I saw them yesterday as they opened for the three bands in the original post. I actually listened to the leaked album before going to the show. I'll be honest here, I don't like their style. It's too generic and bland, but they're great live. They're really cool dudes as well, I got a chance to talk with all of them.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:35 am 

I fucking hate this band. But, then again, I hate every metalcore band I've ever heard except for Shadows Fall, who are just passable, so I guess I'm the sort of guy you might point to as part of the metal community's hate. Nothing against the band personally, I just can't stand their style of music and I think their songwriting is grating.

Voice_of_Reason
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:45 am 

I wasn't going to have an opinion on them til you said metalheads would hate them, so I guess I have to now. What a bunch of fucking jokers.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:16 am 

I actually own a copy of the CD, as I do reviews for a local indie paper at my university. Just got it today, but have yet to listen to it. And now I fear for my ears :P Oh well, I'll give it a fair shake and perhaps post my reveiw in here once it's done.

Edit: also, it had this awesomely horrible sticker that says: The Future of Metal Has Arrived / Debut Album Featuring "Awake" :lol: I had a good laugh at that.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:41 am 

Christ, the vocals are so painfully embarrassing. How the fuck can anyone like this shit? :ugh:

At 1:35 when the bassist made the generic lame backup clean vocals face I laughed so fucking hard. This is pathetic, this isn't even metal - it's like emocore. :getout:

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:45 pm 

Strange combination of sounds, a bit like newer Blind Guardian and other modern power metal, and injected with a decent-sized dose of metalcore... not that good, pretty awkward.

Jmo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:52 pm 

Wasn't bad, but still rather boring.

I do not, however, hear any hardcore, unless I missed a breakdown and gang vocals somewhere, or "emo" (lol). Since when did all clean singing vocals become "emo"? It's very much like a power metal band, and you have to, simply HAAAAAVE to agree those clean vox are better than your average Bullet for my Valentine ripo-off band's shitty whiny clean vox.

So take a generic melodeath band, throw in a generic power metal singer, shazam you have this band.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:00 pm 

What the fuck was that?

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:13 pm 

Wow, so um.. that's what you call power metal singing? Fuck no, power metal singing is Tobias Sammet, Matt Barlow, Kelly Carpenter, Harry Conklin, Midnight from Crimson Glory, hell even Roy Khan. But that was some of the whiniest, most pathetic sounding clean vocals I've heard in a while.

ThePipster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:32 pm 

That song sucked. The intro doesn't fit at all and the half-assed whine-esque scream was terrible. Horrible song, couldn't agree more with The_Boss.

Candehman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:06 pm 

Also just recently saw them live, didn't think they sounded metalcore at all, they reminded me more of Into Eternity with a few Nevermore styled riffs than anything.

Mother_of_God
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:32 pm 

I don't see how this can be labeled as either "progressive" or "metalcore" This doesn't sound like it has progression or hardcore influence. Sure they use those metalcore-ish harsh vocals, but that doesn't make a band metalcore by any means. This is more like Into Eternity with a third-rate power metal singer.. Not bad, not great either.

Malacoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:08 am 

Wait, that's their BEST song? I heard it, thought it was meh, but on the bad side, and hoped that if they had other stuff it would be better.

Zeroflux
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 am 

The dudes don't really know much about true Metal. I talked with the whole band and they didn't even know who Morbid Angel or Emperor are O.O. They think that they're underground lol.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:10 pm 

Zeroflux wrote:
The dudes don't really know much about true Metal. I talked with the whole band and they didn't even know who Morbid Angel or Emperor are O.O. They think that they're underground lol.

Maybe Emperor, I can kinda understand if the completely stayed 100% away from black metal but, how can you call yourself metal and not even HEARD OF Morbid Angel?
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Malacoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:12 am 

MGSX666 wrote:
Zeroflux wrote:

Maybe Emperor, I can kinda understand if the completely stayed 100% away from black metal but, how can you call yourself metal and not even HEARD OF Morbid Angel?

This.

/thread.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:10 pm 

These guys are actually from my area. Generic and mediocre band filled with some rather skilled musicians. I also can't stand this particular style..so I"m not one to judge. I saw them a few years ago when they opened up for 'Carnivore' and they were a completely different band. They covered SOD - Kill Yourself and my first impression of them was that they were a crossover-thrash band....little did I know that they would get signed and change genres so drastically. That singer got kicked out of the band soon after..and they changed their sound to what it is here. I've met the guitarist personally as well as their previous drummer and the both of them were extremely full of themselves to the point where their heads were permanently stuck in their bowels. And yes..none of them are even remotely metalheads by any means. The only metalhead in the band was their early singer..who reminded me of the growler from Amorphis. Either way, I guess it's crazy to see world wide attention from a mediocre band from Edison, NJ.

CrownOvHorns
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:26 pm 

That was awful. The singer is so fucking whiny.

TeRRorBld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:33 pm 

If only they had some Death Metal in the place of Metalcore. I mean, why use such vocals instead of some Death Growls? And, come on guys, they may sound like shit to many of you, but they are not generic. I mean, Winds Of Plague may be one of the worst Deathcore bands I've ever heard, but they're not generic. Personal taste doesn't make a band generic or not.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:42 pm 

Mother_of_God wrote:
I don't see how this can be labeled as either "progressive" or "metalcore" This doesn't sound like it has progression or hardcore influence.

Rampant_Fuck wrote:
These guys are actually from my area. Generic and mediocre band filled with some rather skilled musicians. I also can't stand this particular style..so I"m not one to judge. I saw them a few years ago when they opened up for 'Carnivore' and they were a completely different band. They covered SOD - Kill Yourself and my first impression of them was that they were a crossover-thrash band....little did I know that they would get signed and change genres so drastically. That singer got kicked out of the band soon after..and they changed their sound to what it is here.

Yeah, there is NO -core left in this band anymore... that really confused me when I went to their page and saw the genre, as I was expecting something utterly different. There are some "chuggy" riffs and a few vocal sections which some MIGHT consider core-ish, but it could just as well be melodeath or thrash influences coming through.

I'd call this symphonic power metal without batting an eye. And while it's not stellar, it's alright.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.