Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:19 pm 

Of the 12 years that I've been listening to metal...I've probably traded 200-300 CDs but right now, I own about 1000 CDs total, 730 of which being metal. I have about 40 metal DVDs and about 30 metal Vinyls.

No picture at the moment, as I'm living in a tight place and all the CDs are in boxes, that's why I have an Ipod with most of the albums on it. Life is good.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:39 pm 

brightfield wrote:
Do we really need all the pictures? I think we know what LP's and CD's look like, guys. It makes reading really difficult.

It's nice to see how others keep their collections, what we don't need is people quoting to reply with the pics.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:42 pm 

brightfield wrote:
Do we really need all the pictures? I think we know what LP's and CD's look like, guys. It makes reading really difficult.

Seeing pictures of cds is much funner then reading huge lists of cd collections though.

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:46 pm 

The pictures make this thread for me...very interesting because I've been wanting to see some nice CD racks where I could display a wall of at least 700 or something.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:51 pm 

pyroleprechaun wrote:
I own about 1,200 CD's, and I'm only 22 years old. I've slowed down quite a bit lately because I was buying faster than I could listen, and I just don't have enough room.

That's true, I like to keep my "new" ones at a manageable level, as I like to absorb/listen to them as much as possible before piling on more new ones. I actually kind of keep a stack for new stuff.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:41 pm 

I got a decent sized collection of CDs. I haven't counted, but probably around 400 or 500. Could be up to 800, with all the shit I have in my room, many of my CDs are buried all over.

Now, my Zune collection says I have 4428 albums. Most of this is downloaded stuff and many is just counting single songs from a particular album as a whole album when I would download song by song from the internet in the "good ol' days"

I'll go through a binge where I acquire a shitton of new music and then a quiet period where I just take the time to absorb all the new music. Sometimes I'll look back and try to find new music that I haven't heard yet - sometimes it takes several years between the point where I buy a CD and the time I actually listen to it.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Malacoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:48 pm 

I'm 16 now and I started collecting actual CD's when I was 14. I've got about 120 CD's, give or take, and maybe 5 Vinyls/7" Vinyls.

metalkyle9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:07 pm 

Currently I am up to about 120ish CD's, with most of them metal, and exactly 1 LP.

CosmicFury
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:41 pm 

I'm 19 and I just lost my fucking Ipod of 1000+ metal albums and a big assortment of ambient and classical (no backup!).

So I have nothing now and am in the process of (or attempting to)redownloading most of it...

Bakup your music guys, you might be pretty glad you did in the future when somebody feels like they can take your shit.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:47 pm 

CosmicFury wrote:
I'm 19 and I just lost my fucking Ipod of 1000+ metal albums and a big assortment of ambient and classical (no backup!).

So I have nothing now and am in the process of (or attempting to)redownloading most of it...

Bakup your music guys, you might be pretty glad you did in the future when somebody feels like they can take your shit.

That's not a collection.

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:01 pm 

I only have 2 metal CD's right now but i'm putting a few on my birthday list.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:02 pm 

CosmicFury wrote:

ouch!!! My advice for the future is to put all your stuff on lala or mp3tunes.

Yes it is the real Goat.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:18 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
How large is my collection? Not as large as my wanted list.
:grumble:

But I'm still young. My main concern is getting them at a cheap price.

I'm only doing CDs though.

Update: here's photos of my collection.
Poor quality, poor lighting.

Complete collection

My Maiden CDs

My Priest CDs

All four Mastodon Full-Lengths

Miscellaneous gems (Blood Fire Death, Doomsday for the Deceiver, Human, Mardraum)

Behemoth and Immortal

Licensed under Southern Lord

Some underrated stuff

Other

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:23 pm 

I've got 1000+ albums on my hard drive. In physical format I've got about 15 cds and 3 vinyl. That's Metal of course, my vinyl collection is much larger.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:12 pm 

Around 80 CDs or so, and maybe 15-20 LPs (still at my parents house). I'm a student now so most of my money that isn't for rent and food goes to partying and drinking.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 pm 

iAm wrote:
I've got 1000+ albums on my hard drive. In physical format I've got about 15 cds and 3 vinyl. That's Metal of course, my vinyl collection is much larger.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:09 pm 

brightfield wrote:

Better than list threads.

as for my stuff:

Toxic Holocaust/Joel Grind collection, sometime in 2009.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 2ef022.jpg
since then have gotten the Gravelord EP (both the black and the white vinyls...need RED!), Don't Burn the Witch 10'', Hell on Earth Tape, power from hell 7'' and a couple other things i think.

Children of Technology collection:
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... c19834.jpg

Revenge (Grc) collection:
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 8a1161.jpg

After the Bombs Collection:
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 96702d.jpg

Midnight (US) collection:
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 9c8c75.jpg

Inepsy (Can) collection:
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... aa8557.jpg

My next projects for collecting, are finishing my Nocturnal (ger) collection, working on my Abigail/Barbatos collection, and getting a lot more stuff from WARVICTIMS and DISCLOSE, and early bolt thrower LPs.

Don't have my camera tonight, but once I get it back I'll take some more pictures of my collection, from rarities, to personal favorites, to my storage. Pretty proud of what i've come across so far. Still need a few more classics.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:19 pm 

I have 950 cd's, of which probably 850 are metal. I also have 200 cassettes and 1 vinyl.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:25 pm 

heavymetalbackwards wrote:
CosmicFury wrote:

That's not a collection.
Exactly, albums kept digitally don't count whatsoever. Bah, I hate the new age of technology and what it's done to music.

lord_evisceration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:49 pm 

I have been collecting metal for 3 years and have about 300+ metal Cd's and 15 non metal ones. I also have 20 LPs and 1 tape

HelloCthulhu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:56 pm 

335, according to recordnerd.

Not all of it metal though. You can see it here if you'd like.

HeathenMke
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:56 pm 

1250 CDs. Been collecting for 7 years.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:24 pm 

About 1300 CD's, 400 LP's/7" and 20 tapes.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:37 pm 

I have like 30 CDs... It's increasing more rapidly as time goes on, though.

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:10 am 

I only have around 80 CDs or so, virtually all metal of some sort. I just started working again so I expect my collection to start growing again.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:12 am 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
I have 950 cd's, of which probably 850 are metal. I also have 200 cassettes and 1 vinyl.

All those CD and tapes, but only 1 vinyl... and no mention of what it is? You tease! Let us know what was so precious to you that it has the honor of being your only vinyl. And don't say it's some random vinyl you got for a buck at a yard sale 'cause your house burned down and you needed something to cut your weed up on (which was in a baggie in your wallet, which you luckily had on you during the fire and are now officially naming the joint The "Oh shit my house!" Joint).

Well, that was an elaborate theoretical scenario without purpose. :D

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:32 am 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
heavymetalbackwards wrote:
CosmicFury wrote:

That's not a collection.
Exactly, albums kept digitally don't count whatsoever. Bah, I hate the new age of technology and what it's done to music.

I think the image above is pretty good at elaborating this.

I don't care about downloaders out there, but I agree when people use their hard drives as their "music collections" it is kind of annoying. Anyone can fill a hard drive with music, and if you have a fast enough connection, one can download hundreds of albums in a single day with no effort attached.

Record/cd hunting is a lot more valued as collecting simply because you have to track down the item (which may be very common or very rare depending on what it is) and pay for it with hard earned money, making the expansion of most collections take years. Not to mention it's more fun than downloading files, and you can appreciate music more when you work 40 hours a week and use the money from that to buy them and listen for the first time.

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:42 am 

thesilentenigma wrote:
7IHd wrote:
That's epic. How'd you find racks like that for the CDs?

Stackable racks bolted to the wall. Many of them.

Ahh nice. Must have been a pain in the ass, but it looks like you did a good job of it.

"A vulture feeds upon that heart forever; that vulture the very creature he creates."

Tormentor312
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:09 am 

i have about 30 cd's , none of them metal. all of them rock/ jazz from my dad haha. ive only bought two albums myself, brittany spears and eminiem when i was young.. but i have a huge digital library... haha.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:41 am 

SluseTheInventor wrote:

Yeah, yeah. We've all seen that shit. Some of us don't have parents who buy everything for us. Go back to 4chan with all the other loosers like yourself, mate.

That said, I have two jobs lined up that I've already got in the bag, so I expect my collection to grow within the next month or so. and since I already know which albums I like I won't have to make blind purchases.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:49 am 

Shit, seeing the pictures in this thread puts me to shame, lol.

I only started collecting in the middle of 2009, and even then I only purchase rare stuff usually.

Right now I've got around 30-40 CDs in jewel cases, and about 60 more without. And around 6-7 cassette tapes (all limited press).

Considering most of that was from trades since I'm broke 90% of the time, I think it's alright.

When I get work in the next few months I'm going to start devoting much more time to collecting.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:16 am 

I have ~300 CDs (just counted, but some are at friends houses being borrowed + some are all around my room so I missed some) and 1 vinyl.

The VAST majority of CDs are metal, with the rest being a mix of industrial, goth rock, classical and some hard/alt rock from when I was younger plus some random CDs (electonica, rock, punk, folk, indie etc) that I get for free with a gig I have doing album reviews for my university's paper.

The vinyl, for those who are wondering, is Woods of Ypres' Allure of the Earth 7" (#6/200) :)

I also traded in and sold about 100 albums a couple of months ago, so my collection has shrunk a bit recently :(

kiske_of_deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:48 am 

I've been collecting since the age of 13 (I'm 16 now). I have 60 CD's and 4 vinyls.

The vinyls:

Sabbat - History Of A Time To Come double LP gatefold

Onslaught - The Force double LP gatefold

Venom - Welcome To Hell pic LP

Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath

I really need to spend less money on alcohol and more on CD's. The shop here is a ripoff, with most CD's costing around 35 - 45 bucks.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:49 am 

Good on the young'uns who are already building up their cd collection. Reminds me of when i was younger, doing shitty jobs for neighbours for a measly allowance, and getting a paper-round just for the sole purpose of being able to buy music.

Mourningfall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:48 am 

I have 1212 Albums on my HDD and 74 tangible albums.

headnhalf1981
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 am 

Ah I remember the days when I used to take my record collection around with me everywhere and every time I went to a friend’s house I'd try in vain to convert them.
I had a plastic box that could hold about 30 CD's, I remember being 13 and trying to convince people that Slayer, Metallica and Napalm Death were better than 2 unlimited, happy days.
I agree with everyone above about digital 'collections' not really being collections, it's like saying "I collect fine art" and then whipping out a pocket full of out of focus Polaroid’s that you took on the sly in the art gallery.
It's a good and a bad thing that everyone has access to all the music created ever, I just think kids these days miss out on the journey that we older (28) music fans had to go on. I used to run from school to the second hand record shop and get the guy in the shop to play anything that looked metal which I would then hide somewhere in the shop to be purchased later when I'd saved up my paper-round cash. When I finally had the album back home it felt like I'd earned it.
Fuck I'm old

mushroomleg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:16 am 

its a mean four and a half inches (hard).
one and three quarters (flaccid).

seriously... i have about 1200 cds of all kinds of music... but they're all cds i listen to whenever i change out my cd wallet.

300 tapes (from back in the day when you could find "to the gory end" by cancer for a quarter.

and 150 records... i'm just now realizing the magick of vinyl... so...

Heavy_T_Skubbs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:25 am 

wigglygore wrote:
Good on the young'uns who are already building up their cd collection. Reminds me of when i was younger, doing shitty jobs for neighbours for a measly allowance, and getting a paper-round just for the sole purpose of being able to buy music.

Ha, I remember doing this. Then I'd go to the mall and blow it on whatever garbage was in the FYE used bins with occasional sojourns to the local shop.

I'd be all misty eyed now except I remember passing over a lot of good stuff for things I'd later sell off and selling things I'd later come to realize were OOP or enjoyable. Fuckin' kids.

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:44 am 

thesilentenigma wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:
thesilentenigma wrote:
13,000 metal cds, hand full of demo tapes and whatnot. Been into metal since the early/mid 80's.

That would fill my entire house, floor to ceiling.

It does mine too, my walls are cds..

I have to say, I'm impressed with that.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:57 am 

Wilytank wrote:
tons of worthless pics

I don't have enough pics of your collection. Can you take each CD individually now?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next