Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pmmassacre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 am 

I love all styles of DM but I'm very picky about the bands I like.
God Macbre was an awesoe SDM band.

DoomDoll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:53 am 

I love Nihilist. Sweden definitely contributed a lot to the death metal scene.
HAIL SVERIGE!

Vipunen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:12 pm 

The scene has a few bands worth mentioning, but bands like Dismember and Entombed never did anything for me. Boring boring boring.

Transphilvanian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:27 pm 

Apart from the obligatory Nihilst/Dismember/Entombed/Carnage/Unleashed mentions, all of which's debuts containing some of the best death metal I have ever heard, I would like to add Grotesque/At the Gates.
Grotesque's recent collection showcases some rather technical black/death metal for the time. As well as this, At the Gates, depite becoming quite the borefest later in their career, really mixed things up on their debut including a violin to accompany their brand of excellently written and complex melodic death metal.
If I were you I would start with the aforementioned mandatory early scene releases, then branch out into the varients of the style like early At the Gates, Therion, Hypocrisy and Necrophobic to decide which styles take your fancy!

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:09 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Death-Met ... 444&sr=8-1

Best source for the whole scene. I'm still reading my copy, and so far it's a wealth of knowledge. I thought i knew a decent amount of bands and members of the swedish scene (which i prefer to american death metal actually) but still learned a TON from what i've read so far in this book.

MuffinMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 am 

I got Dismember's 'The God That Never Was' a few weeks ago, and I can say I haven't got enough of it yet. It is really, really great and I'm looking forward to get their debut.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:32 am 

pmmassacre wrote:
I love all styles of DM but I'm very picky about the bands I like.
God Macbre was an awesoe SDM band.

I like Macabre End better...

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:19 am 

Transphilvanian wrote:
Apart from the obligatory Nihilst/Dismember/Entombed/Carnage/Unleashed mentions, all of which's debuts containing some of the best death metal I have ever heard, I would like to add Grotesque/At the Gates.
Grotesque's recent collection showcases some rather technical black/death metal for the time. As well as this, At the Gates, depite becoming quite the borefest later in their career, really mixed things up on their debut including a violin to accompany their brand of excellently written and complex melodic death metal.
If I were you I would start with the aforementioned mandatory early scene releases, then branch out into the varients of the style like early At the Gates, Therion, Hypocrisy and Necrophobic to decide which styles take your fancy!

Grotesque are the best band I found so far, and I already knew and loved ATG

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
What differences are there between the 2 scenes at the time, what are the best bands, and are any of the Swedish bands as good as Death, Autopsy, Morbid Angel (who are quite hit and miss reallly), CC, etc.

I'm in a real DM mood lately (possibly because I am so angry and stressed with having exam revision -_- ) so exploring the scene would be good, just looking for starting tips

The main difference, back in the days, was that if you lived in Sweden (like me) you recorded in Sunlight Studios, with Tomas Skogsberg. And if you lived in USA you recorded at Morrisound Recording with Scott Burns.

That is the very, very fast version.
And there is actually a lot of truth in it as well.

You can check out a list of bands that recorded in Sunlight (with timeline) here:

http://www.carnagedeathmetal.de/carnage ... tudio.html

As far as best records/bands I'm sure they are mentioned here already.
I'll just raise a small voice for a personal recommendation:

Cemetary - Godless Beauty (1993)

A record that I think as aged with dignity over the years.
Obviously not as influental as releases from Entombed, Dismember, Grave, At The Gates and the rest, but still a very fine record. In my opinion.

pmmassacre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:59 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
What differences are there between the 2 scenes at the time, what are the best bands, and are any of the Swedish bands as good as Death, Autopsy, Morbid Angel (who are quite hit and miss reallly), CC, etc.

I'm in a real DM mood lately (possibly because I am so angry and stressed with having exam revision -_- ) so exploring the scene would be good, just looking for starting tips

The main difference, back in the days, was that if you lived in Sweden (like me) you recorded in Sunlight Studios, with Tomas Skogsberg. And if you lived in USA you recorded at Morrisound Recording with Scott Burns.

That is the very, very fast version.
And there is actually a lot of truth in it as well.

You can check out a list of bands that recorded in Sunlight (with timeline) here:

http://www.carnagedeathmetal.de/carnage ... tudio.html

As far as best records/bands I'm sure they are mentioned here already.
I'll just raise a small voice for a personal recommendation:

Cemetary - Godless Beauty (1993)

A record that I think as aged with dignity over the years.
Obviously not as influental as releases from Entombed, Dismember, Grave, At The Gates and the rest, but still a very fine record. In my opinion.

very cool link and i will be checking out Cemetary

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:21 am 

I really like the Therion stuff that I have heard, but from their last fm, it looks like they become some sort of gothic/symphonic metal band. What releases are in their death metal style, like the track megalomania

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:36 am 

their first 3 albums are death

carnival_corpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:26 am 

Edge of Sanity. No one has mentioned them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:47 am 

MuffinMan wrote:
I got Dismember's 'The God That Never Was' a few weeks ago, and I can say I haven't got enough of it yet. It is really, really great and I'm looking forward to get their debut.

Oh, just wait until you do. You will be eaten alive.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2