Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:37 pm 

So I was listening to this album yesterday and I noticed the last two tracks "Into the Unknown" and "Hell on Earth" are of a poorer sound quality than the rest of the album as there's a lot of hissing and popping sounds throughout both. Little did I know that these tracks were bonus tracks (I have the 1996 Displeased Records reissue) and are probably off some unreleased demo of theirs (them being demo tracks could be the reason behind the poor quality). The CD is not scratched or damaged in any way, so that can't be the reason behind the hissing and popping sounds. So I'm wondering, is this the case or do I have some kind of defective copy? Thanks.

Also, let's talk about how amazing this album is. I feel it's one of the more underrated thrash gems from the 80s that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:43 pm 

Viral wrote:
So I was listening to this album yesterday and I noticed the last two tracks "Into the Unknown" and "Hell on Earth" are of a poorer sound quality than the rest of the album as there's a lot of hissing and popping sounds throughout both. Little did I know that these tracks were bonus tracks (I have the 1996 Displeased Records reissue) and are probably off some unreleased demo of theirs (them being demo tracks could be the reason behind the poor quality).

"Re-released in 1996 by Displeased Records with bonus tracks, from the Nigresent Dissolution demo"

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=3605

Viral wrote:
Also, let's talk about how amazing this album is. I feel it's one of the more underrated thrash gems from the 80s that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

It's one of my favourite Thrash Metal albums. It's kinda funny that they were obviously highly influenced by Slayer but I listen to this album probably more than any Slayer release.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:48 pm 

The_Erlking wrote:
Viral wrote:
So I was listening to this album yesterday and I noticed the last two tracks "Into the Unknown" and "Hell on Earth" are of a poorer sound quality than the rest of the album as there's a lot of hissing and popping sounds throughout both. Little did I know that these tracks were bonus tracks (I have the 1996 Displeased Records reissue) and are probably off some unreleased demo of theirs (them being demo tracks could be the reason behind the poor quality).

"Re-released in 1996 by Displeased Records with bonus tracks, from the Nigresent Dissolution demo"

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=3605

Viral wrote:

It's one of my favourite Thrash Metal albums. It's kinda funny that they were obviously highly influenced by Slayer but I listen to this album probably more than any Slayer release.

I think there's much more to this album than Slayer worship. Hell, some of the guitarwork reminds me of Mercyful Fate at times. THose two bonus tracks are awesome; I actually prefer them to the bulk of the album tracks, and the reason is...well, damn, I seem to be in the minority here, but I really think the vocals on the album suck terribly. No passion or zeal whatsoever. It actively pisses me off because the music is pretty solid but damn, couldnt' they get someone with a bit more fire behind the mic?

I don't remember the sound quality being that poor, though. Hmm...it's been a while.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:51 pm 

NSD is one of the best primitve thrash releases from the 80's. Period.
I love Slayer, but the Slayer worship in this album surpasses most of Slayer's discography... which is a pretty big feat alone.

I've not heard of these bonus tracks, so I can't say anything on that part.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:03 pm 

Necropleasurist wrote:
NSD is one of the best primitve thrash releases from the 80's. Period.
I love Slayer, but the Slayer worship in this album surpasses most of Slayer's discography... which is a pretty big feat alone.

I've not heard of these bonus tracks, so I can't say anything on that part.

It isn't exactly primitive, though, is it?

Check out "INto the Unknown" in particular. Some great riffing going on there. That vocalist was only in the band for a short time...he got involved in some pretty weird stuff and went to prison for close to ten years.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:06 pm 

I'd say it's pretty primitive. In the way the Bonded By Blood is primitive, yes.

But maybe I'm just getting definitions fucked up.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:09 pm 

If one of you wouldn't mind, perhaps you can listen to your copy (if you have the same version that is) and let me know if you can hear the same poor quality of the demo tracks and let me know if there's some light hissing and popping noises (I say light because they're not so dominant in the mix that the two tracks are rendered unlistenable, but they are still noticable to the extent that makes the listening experience mildly irritating).

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:17 pm 

I also noticed that there's this new digipak version of the album that's out. I remember reading something about Metal Mind reissuing the album and having it remastered. I checked Metal Mind's site a while back to get some info on this reissue and there was no mention of its existence at all...weird. Some places are selling it though (found it being sold at the HMV superstore and some websites like CD Universe). I think some copies of the reissue were printed and might have been recalled afterwards.

NecroSonata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:06 pm 

Can't emphasise enough how fucking awesome this album is.

Disciple_Of_Metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:56 pm 

The two bonus tracks were released on tape in 1988, and the standard tape hiss is prevalent across the tracks. The archives lists the tape as being independently released, so it's likely Displeased Records would not have been able to secure the master recordings to make a better sound adjustment.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:23 pm 

I can't really hear much Slayer's influence on that album, it is closer to Possessed's material if anything. Some moments sound very close to Death Metal as we know it now. Although it was not something completely unusual around 1987, but still.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:32 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
I can't really hear much Slayer's influence on that album, it is closer to Possessed's material if anything. Some moments sound very close to Death Metal as we know it now. Although it was not something completely unusual around 1987, but still.

I can see what you mean by Possessed comparison but I hear a lot of Hell Awaits style Slayer in this album too. Escpecially the riffing. Anyway, how bad can the album be when even it's short instrumental song Path of the Psycho is haunting as hell?! And those vocals on Night of the Living Dead!

Incantations, spoken at the stroke of midnight,
exhume the bodies from their timeless slumber
Soulless participants in this unholy ritual
the dead crawl from their earthen prisons
Bodies decayed beyond recognition
they amass, prepare nightmares from the
darkest recesses of your imaaaaaagination

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:12 pm 

the album was named none shall defy because none can defy the awesomeness of this album.

Hoping for an european tour here since they are back together.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:25 pm 

Into the Unknown and Hell on Earth are were recorded at a different time from None Shall Defy. Both those tracks were released on Nigresent Dissolution. Hell on Earth is actually my favourite Infernäl Mägesty song.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

gila_monster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
the album was named none shall defy because none can defy the awesomeness of this album.

Hoping for an european tour here since they are back together.

Good luck with that one. They need a permanent vocalist before that's going to happen I think. They were pretty active over here from about 2004 - 2007 or so, but then the new vocalist had a falling out. He's back with the band for a couple of shows but I think they're still looking for a replacement.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 am 

Necropleasurist wrote:
NSD is one of the best [s]primitve[/s] thrash releases from the 80's. Period.

Fixed. Imo it's pretty technical for thrash standards.

Speak for yourself.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm 

Disciple_Of_Metal wrote:
The two bonus tracks were released on tape in 1988, and the standard tape hiss is prevalent across the tracks. The archives lists the tape as being independently released, so it's likely Displeased Records would not have been able to secure the master recordings to make a better sound adjustment.

Thank you. I guess I don't need to replace my copy after all. :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.