Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:45 pm 

I'd like to start a discussion on one of the underrated legends of Norwegian black metal. (Don't want to start an underrated/overrated discussion, though.) I enjoy everything put out by Ildjarn, all ambient and primal black metal. It's one of the most pure expressions of rage and hatred I've ever heard in metal. It seems like most black metal fans dismiss Ildjarn as pretentious, but his music seems very real to me.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 pm 

I've only heard Det Frysende Nordariket which is absolutely magnificent, however I was actually planning to make my way through his entire discography very soon. Are they all worth listening to?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 pm 

What other bands do Ildjarn sound like? I've been neglecting them for whatever reason, but lately I've become interested. Also, what's a good album to start with?

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 pm 

I've only heard two Ildjarn albums; Nidhogg - Hardangervidda and Strength and Anger. Of the two, I really enjoy the former as its some of the best ambient music I've heard. Very soothing, pleasant, and masterful music.

However, I honestly didn't care for S&A much at all. I "get it" I suppose, but the sheer intensity and rawness of it turns me off.

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:05 pm 

iAm wrote:
What other bands do Ildjarn sound like? I've been neglecting them for whatever reason, but lately I've become interested. Also, what's a good album to start with?

No bands sound like Ildjarn, some imitate, but fall devastatingly flat in fail

I'd rank them (the main older, BMish works )

Forest Poetry
Strength and Anger
eponymous
Det Frysende
split w/ Nidhogg

though honestly the Sort Vokter material is better than all of them.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:19 pm 

Forest Poetry and Strength & Anger are somewhat repetitive.
Det Frysende Nordariket is the best album/compilation.
Svartfrad is the best EP.

Ildjarn applied the same formula as Darkthrone, but pushed minimalism to a further degree. Very few riffs, but only killer riffs.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:37 pm 

I've actually started listening to this guy the other day and I must say I enjoy him very much. However, its the type of music I would never recommend to anyone ever. It's technically shitty and somewhat pretentious, but the reason why I enjoy it so much is because the anger and hatred is portrayed so well, it just sounds so real and genuine. I "get" it in other words, however I totally understand the people who dislike him greatly. When it comes to newcomers, I would say check out 'Svartfrad' or 'Forest Poetry.'

By the way, I don't know about you guys, but when I read the "Final Statement" of Ildjarn, his music made even more sense to me. That motherfucker is somewhat of an arrogant pretentious prick who fucking hates everything.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:10 am 

It'd odd, I actually don't care for Ildjarn at all even though I listen to the Sort Vokter album regularly... there's just something intangibly different and better about it compared to his solo stuff. Most of the actual Ildjarn material is just too grating and over-simplistic for me (although I did like the first part of Det Frysende Nordariket), but Folkloric Necro Metal by Sort Vokter is one of my favorite BM releases.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 am 

iAm wrote:

The Return era Bathory, Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger (kind of), Beherit - Engram is kind of polished Ildjarn in terms of riffs and repetition, the middle songs on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss with more hardcore influence, Graveland - Carpathian Wolves.

Not much else.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:26 am 

Cool, sounds pretty interesting then. Once my laptops shipped up here I'll download a couple albums and if I like I'll pick one up from Easy Street or something.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:35 am 

Meant to put Celtic Winter instead of Carpathian Wolves.

jaysidetracked
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:01 am 

I think I listen to Forest Poetry the most. Last time I tried listening to the self titled record, the drums weren't quite hitting hard enough for me. Only heard Strength and Anger once and I remember of the 18 songs, something like 10 of those were fast bm instrumentals. So strange. So reckless. And thats probably why I like Ildjarn so much. For some reason I havent checked out Sort Vokter yet but am excited to.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 am 

This is one band that I've put off listening to. I heard Urfuast's covers of two of the songs, and I didn't like them...but with all the good things you people are saying, maybe I'll give him a chance. Nolan and I have extremely similar tastes in music, so if he's willing to start a thread over the band, I will probably enjoy it.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:46 am 

"Doedmoerke" (the shorter one) and "Himmelhvelv" are magnificent in their utter minimalism. "Strength And Anger" would've been better as an EP, about half of the songs on it don't make much sense. "Forest Poetry" is probably the most consistent Ildjarn BM album, and "Det Frysende Nordariket" is quite good for a compilation. Some of Ildjarn's most interesting work is to be found on both parts of "Hardangervidda" and "Ildjarn Is Dead" compilation, though.

Does anyone know whether there's any website with a gallery of Ildjarn's drawings? I remember his semi-official site used to have them online for one's viewing pleasure, but alas, it is long since gone.

EDIT: "Doedmoerke" is THE most evil, hateful, intense and relentless song ever.

For decent Ildjarn worship, check out Meti Bhuvah.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 am 

I'm a complete noob in terms of Ildjarn knowledge, but the very few songs that I've actually heard are, well, incredible. I've been looking for albums to buy here and there but no luck so far. I'll have to get some through online distros.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:11 am 

Sort Vokter was surprisingly non-shit. I like a bit of his stuff (he's great at making good songs out of improvised riffs) but Sort Vokter is the only thing that I've given more then a cursory listen.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

HaydenMaddox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:26 am 

I really like the Ildjarn-Nidhogg album. This was the only album (to my knowledge) where they used black metal with the keyboards. The song, "Svart Dag (The Nothingness)" is so incredible. Talk about being a mental traveler. I wish I could find this on vinyl, but of course it's out of print. I've seen this LP on eBay going for well over $150.00. I just can't do that - my wife would slay me dead.

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:34 am 

I enjoy some Ildjarn as well... but have to be in the right mood for it. I thought Sort Vokter was the absolute worst thing Ive ever heard in my life, so I sold the CD on Ebay and it ended up going for $60 a couple years ago. Indirectly funneled that money back into purchasing Vordr CDs. :)

Sregor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:41 am 

Hardangervidda is definitely one of my favourite ambient records. The self titled album is probably my favourite of his black metal stuff. I saw the tape for sale in neseblod records last summer on holiday and about a week later was kicking myself for not buying it.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:35 pm 

I like the concept of Ildjarn more than I think I like Ildjarn's music itself. Still, in the right frame of mind, blasting some of his music can be a pretty potent experience. I don't know if I've actually sat through an entire Ildjarn release in one go more than a couple of times, though. "Den Frisent Nordariket" is, as many have said, a very good compilation of stuff.

Sort Vokter though is beyond question. The drums sound more mechanical than ever and the guitar can be anything from a faint hiss to an indiscernable grumble, but I dig the hell out of that loud bass most of the album possesses, the vocals rule and the keyboard ambiences in certain songs, like the first one, are really spectacular. The album isn't long and never overstays its welcome. Just a Norwegian BM classic as far as I'm concerned.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:05 pm 

I used to like them when I was like 14 or 15 when I was in my stage of "I have to impress every metalhead in the world" but now it just sounds absolutely horrific. I do like Ildjarn-Nidhogg though, its a good release.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:01 pm 

ildjarn's production is a bit too shitty but decent otherwise.

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 pm 

People love to overanalyze Ildjarn, but while there is meaning in his stuff it's not at face value. Conversely, there's no reason to pay heed to insecure shits who bash him for somehow being "contaminated" by Anus. I don't see a problem with enjoying his stuff as a bm Motorhead, Det Frysende Nordariket is a great album in that regard.

Lord_Grotto
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:50 pm 

I bought Folkloric a few weeks ago and I think that it is great, simple music; minimilistic black metal at its best. I've also listened to Forest Poetry and thought that it was a good release. I will definately be looking into his stuff more.

I think that it is really cool that most of his music is made out of a spontaneous instant. He goes for a walk in the woods and comes back and records an album in a day or two.

~Guest 145593
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm 

Ildjarn is one of my favorite bands and biggest influences in my music and overal mindset.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:56 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
"Den Frisent Nordariket"

"Det Frysende Nordariket", goddammit, DET FRYSENDE. :mad:

kampfplatz666
Sturmbannführer Borat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:48 pm 

That interview that is around the web of the Ildjarn guy, despite the kind of pretentiousness of the interviewer, reveals him like a kind of simplistic person (almost dumb?) and contributes to the music atmosphere...

Carnage_Lunatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:35 pm 

What really made Ildjarn stick out from the plethora of BM bands in the 90s was the fact that the man just didn't care about what anyone else was doing.

The only Ildjarn album I can't stand is the S/T. Det Frysende Nordariket is one of my favorite BM albums from the 90s. Hardangervidda I and II, Ildjarn-Nidhogg and Strength and Anger are great releases as well.

'Eksistensens Jeger' is one of the best BM songs ever.

Bow_to_your_Master
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:02 am 

the s/t is definitely my favorite - the production is pefectly obscure, nothing abrasive at all (like Forest Poetry which is just TOO abrasive for my taste). the s/t has just enough "catchy" riffs and even a few slow plodding, doomy songs perfectly sprinkled thoughout. top to bottom the most consistent album I think. Ildjarn is Dead is a GREAT compilation.

all in all, I think Ildjarn is a tough nut to crack at first, but it pays off in the end.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:09 am 

iAm wrote:

the only worthwhile ildjarn emulation is odelegger imo.check out the full-length and soe of the tapes

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:52 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
iAm wrote:

the only worthwhile ildjarn emulation is odelegger imo.check out the full-length and soe of the tapes

The only worthwhile Ildjarn emulation is Fuck Xasthur.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.