Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:22 am 

Yeah, you know, IT. Not Stephen King's psycho clown story, but that one guy from Abruptum and such.

As taken from the myspace blog...

Quote:
My final contribution to this "non-extraordinary reality" will be a book about my life.
For all these years I have chosen to stay silent, out of the "spotlights" and now that I finally will vanish into shadows eternally; the time has come to let you know the truth.

You will hardly find any material out there coming straight from my mind, as I refused interviews and contact with the "outside". Thus reading about me in books, on the net, magazines or when watching various documentaries; I hope you kept in mind that not much of the information given has had any valid or real essence.
There has always been so many distractions, falseness, lies, distortions to whom I have been and what I've done that the time has finally come to set things straight once and for all.

As always I work in my own pace and there is no deadline to this work, but material is been gathered in heaps.
Also note that this book will hardly focus on my musical career, but my entire life.

There is a time when even legends turn into myths...

IT

Now, if you're like me, the first thought to hit was "this guy has a myspace page, not just a fan page?" But I guess that's not really the important issue at hand here. 1) IT's retiring. 2) He's writing a book about himself. Now, I figure this book will probably include a few embellishments for dramatic effect, but it will nonetheless be interesting to see how he wants himself to be seen. It might help shed a little light on the "superintrospective" sort of black metallers who refuse to do interviews and such.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:31 am 

He always seemed like a bit of a crazy guy. Surprised that people think of him as a legend, though. Ophthalamia ruled, for a time..."Via Dolorosa" is still one of the coolest albums to come from Sweden in the mid-90s.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

euronymous1993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 am 

i think that's already an old project, he talked about a book already in 94 in slayer mag 10... will be definitly cheking this.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
He always seemed like a bit of a crazy guy. Surprised that people think of him as a legend, though.

Those are just the voices in his head

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:55 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
He always seemed like a bit of a crazy guy. Surprised that people think of him as a legend, though.

Those are just the voices in his head

That must be it exactly. His life was probably never threatened, either.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 pm 

Be interesting to see what he thinks of Varg being released as he was one of the guys who said he would kill him when he got out.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:07 pm 

Whoever this guy is, he sounds laughably self-important. Also, he seems to be implying suicide upon completion of this book.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:13 pm 

ENKC wrote:
Also, he seems to be implying suicide upon completion of this book.

If only Stephenie Meyer would take this route.

RitualWarCommand
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:20 pm 

Someone takes himself too seriously.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:52 pm 

RitualWarCommand wrote:
Funny thing is, this seems to be a consistent trait among many of the old school black metal musicians. Either that, or they don't take themselves seriously at all. But that's why I think this book might be interesting: it'll give a first-hand view into the mindset of such people. I get the feeling that they've been romanticized by outsiders as "troubled geniuses," but it'll be interesting to see if such a person really buys into that, or just played it up for notoriety.

I agree, though... while I like Abruptum and all, this is all a bit overly dramatic of him.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:57 pm 

Ribos wrote:
RitualWarCommand wrote:
Funny thing is, this seems to be a consistent trait among many of the old school black metal musicians. Either that, or they don't take themselves seriously at all. But that's why I think this book might be interesting: it'll give a first-hand view into the mindset of such people. I get the feeling that they've been romanticized by outsiders as "troubled geniuses," but it'll be interesting to see if such a person really buys into that, or just played it up for notoriety.

I agree, though... while I like Abruptum and all, this is all a bit overly dramatic of him.

It definitely has a sense of humour. I can't comment on how seriously he takes himself...I personally don't really understand how someone could not "take himself seriously", but then, that's hardly a phrase I would really use.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
It definitely has a sense of humour. I can't comment on how seriously he takes himself...I personally don't really understand how someone could not "take himself seriously", but then, that's hardly a phrase I would really use.
Oh right, didn't you do an interview with him at some point? Or was that someone else around here?

A couple examples, though, of people who take themselves a little too seriously: arson in the name of your art, murdering bandmates for having differing ideas about your musical direction, throwing sharp implements at the audience to weed out the posers, reinventing your personal history to give yourself some credibility...

...And then at the other end of the spectrum is Call Of The Wintermoon's video. And the various Immortal photo shoots.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:06 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Oh right, didn't you do an interview with him at some point? Or was that someone else around here?

I never did any interviews with him, but I did see a couple in the 90s taht seemed to show that he was actually a pretty funny character. Plus, he's largely responsible for Vonudr. ;)
Quote:

A couple examples, though, of people who take themselves a little too seriously: arson in the name of your art, murdering bandmates for having differing ideas about your musical direction, throwing sharp implements at the audience to weed out the posers, reinventing your personal history to give yourself some credibility...

Well, sure, all or most of those are questionable forms of behaviour, but I'm not sure that lacking a sense of humour about one's own character/accomplishments is really the problem.

Who threw sharp implements to weed out poseurs? That's itneresting...oh, right, it was another supposed Nargaroth thing, wasn't it?

PsyMoN_MDA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:52 pm 

Wow, he is so necr0kvlt and gr1m and trve |-(

Abbath wrote:
Have an ice day!

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:00 pm 

Who threw sharp implements to weed out poseurs? That's itneresting...oh, right, it was another supposed Nargaroth thing, wasn't it?[/quote]

That was Dead (while in Mayhem, of course)

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:26 pm 

Ribos wrote:

I believe WoP conducted an interview with him. I'd ask, but he's sure to see this thread eventually.

PsyMoN_MDA wrote:

Wow, you are so clever, creative, and incisive.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:28 pm 

Should be an interesting read!

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:09 pm 

PsyMoN_MDA wrote:

Banned.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:59 am 

I hate to ask this, but is IT a midget or a dwarf? Someone told me this once but I can't find much info on the subject...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.