Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:03 pm 

madbringer wrote:
Khlyst, which, while not crap per se, i always found way too weird to really enjoy. And i usually enjoy weird music. This is simply incomprehensible and makes no fucking sense, seems pointless and redundant.

Am I being trolled, or do I just have bad taste in music? I absolutely adored Khlyst, as well :P. Seriously, though, if you think Chaos Is My Name is weird, you might want to stay away from Runnhild's solo stuff. That's even more avant-garde.

As for me, I'll second Soulfly. If Jumpdafukup was a parody of nu-metal, I think it might be enjoyable, but they were dead serious when they penned that.

Durandal1717
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:29 pm 

Goat Vulva certainly lived up to its name. Not like you'd expect anything different, but it was Holocausto's Goat Vulva; that should've at least made it worth being audible, but was just another disappointing series of black noise fuzz tapes.

madbringer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:46 pm 

almightyjoey wrote:
madbringer wrote:
Khlyst, which, while not crap per se, i always found way too weird to really enjoy. And i usually enjoy weird music. This is simply incomprehensible and makes no fucking sense, seems pointless and redundant.

Am I being trolled, or do I just have bad taste in music? I absolutely adored Khlyst, as well :P. Seriously, though, if you think Chaos Is My Name is weird, you might want to stay away from Runnhild's solo stuff. That's even more avant-garde.

Well, not weird weird, just lacking cohesion and feeling disjointed. Like they tried to play 10 different songs at once. And the vocals were pretty terrible, from what i remember. I'll give it points for being unique, but the kind of unique that left me irritated and confused, rather than intrigued and enchanted. The ambient tracks were pretty cool, tho.

Frostwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:15 pm 

I really like Vintersorg, Otyg, Waterclime etc I'm not big on Fission though

KyleShepard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:20 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
GZR. I do not expect to hear repetitive nu metal from the guy who helped write "Hand of Doom" and "NIB."

Came to post this. It is pretty terrible.

Also, I didn't know about Ander's nu metal thing, kinda wish I didn't though, that's preeeety bad.

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:12 am 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
Axalcathu wrote:
All Vintersorg projects.May be it's full of intellect but so bored (I'm talking about FISSION, HAVAYOTH, VINTERSORG, CRONIAN and OTYG). BORKNAGAR is awesome.

Way to pull shit out of your ass. When Vintersorg founded Otyg he wasn't in any other band, as far as I'm concerned, but he sure as hell wasn't in Borknagar at that time. After two albums Otyg was put on hold and Vintersorg started his eponymous one-man-band. Vintersorg is and was his main band and Fission, Havayoth & Cronian are (as well as Waterclime, not metal, though) pure side-projects (and crappy ones at that, I agree). And how Borknagar can be anyone's main band other than Øystein G. Brun's is beyond my grasp. Did you notice that Vintersorg isn't involved in the song-writing process at all, only providing some lyrics at times?

*sighs*

I agree with you at some aspects od your reply. Of course, I know that Otyg was his main band, and Borknagar conception has much of improvement since he become part of the band, but... Even appearance of Steve DiGiorgio can't make situation better) And, of course, it's only my opinioin. May be just not my cup of tea.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:23 am 

Urnos wrote:
I'm not a fan of Akerfeldt's side-project Opeth. Bloodbath is much better - he should stick to what he does well ;)

This newbie knows where it's at.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:31 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Other than Superjoint Ritual, I'd say just about every single one of Phil Anselmo's side projects is better/more interesting than Pantera's groove metal output.

I really like two of the three viking crown albums though.

That's my point. 2/3 Viking Crown albums are decent, whereas Pantera's groove stuff is 0.5/5 (with the 0.5 going to Cowboys From Hell which is listenable but also not completely groove metal).

I'll stick with my guns on the Teeth of the Lions... thing. It's not like it was terrible but it just wasn't as interesting as I was expecting given the contributors. Plus, I was expecting more doom and less drone based on Justin Greaves and Lee Dorrian being in the band.

Edit: I completely forgot about this one:

HEAD CONTROL SYSTEM.

/thread.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:10 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:
Raism/Diabolos Rising. Goddamn this shit was terrible. Have not met anyone yet who actually liked this pile of feces.

Eh, I think the Diabolos releases in particular have a certain ...charm...to them. I enjoy playing them for people while they're baked out of their minds.

into_the_pit wrote:
raism on the other hand had a good mini (the full-length was terrible though).

Well. I stand corrected. I've found two people who like some Raism/Diabolos Rising material :p

Still can't see why, but there's no accounting for taste :grin:

Abominatrix wrote:
I nominate Storm...definitely the worst thing Fenriz has ever been involved with. Best thing you can say about that album is that the sound is great.

Can't agree with this though. I really like this album, even the some what hokey vocals, gives it charm and character. The songs are quite decent too.

My collection

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2