Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zeroflux
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:46 pm 

I want to start a discussion about the black/viking metal band Forefather. I personally think that they are very underrated, and deserve way more recognition. My favorite album is their most recent Steadfast, closely followed by Engla Tocyme.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:10 pm 

yeh definatly my favourite viking metal band, Steadfast is my favourite album of 08, even get a steadfast t shirt :D

Count_Grimith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:57 pm 

Yes this band is amazing, Steadfast has some of the best production ive heard in a long time, and the guitar is flawless.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:22 am 

Weird, I just scrolled down and looked at this topic title as the below song began to play O.o

Haha... anyways, Forefather are freaking great, love the melodies and the sombre-yet-uplifting nature of the music. We need more bands like them.

And honestly, from the material I've heard, "viking metal" is the wrong tag for them; musically this is melodic blackened folk metal, or melodic pagan metal or the like, not viking metal.

----------------
Now playing: Forefather - Wudugast

Lemmyapu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 am 

I'm not supposed to judge an album by its cover but this looks like everything as advertised.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:28 am 

Steadfast is a superb album and a favourite of mine. I can put it on at pretty much any time and thoroughly enjoy what I'm hearing. I need to hear more of this band and will do so very soon. This thread might have been the kick up the backside I needed.

- Tim Minchin

DocNoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:23 am 

I think they are a pretty good band technically, but the lyrics are a bit of a turn off for me (ironic given I'm English), and I find them quite cheesy especially on Ours Is The Kingdom.

Anglo_Saxon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:30 am 

Yes! they are practically my favourite band (along with Moonsorrow and Falkenbach). I got a steadfast t shirt when I bought the album from their seven kingdoms website, they also sent me a nice little Forefather patch free as well :D

I personally wouldn't describe them as ''viking'', because their music is anglo-saxon, and I wouldn't use the term black metal because with songs like summers flame, when our england died, et cetera it doesn't sound black metal. I just call them a pagan metal band, though I know they prefer the term ''anglo-saxon metal''.

Thrasher4life
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:37 am 

Great band. Some of the best (enter genre here) out there. Wish they played live!

I'd advice anyone to get steadfast. Its a great album

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:14 pm 

actully now they are quite famous comparing to early 2000's when i had to lisen to there 'Ours is the Kingdom' , i guess this one made them into the front scene !! there sound is quite different than the common scandinavian viking and thats make them bit favorated for fans of viking metal in general !! they are good , i still lisen to them from time to time , worth a shot though , for those who are not familiare with that great band.

Frostwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:34 pm 

This is one of my favourite bands. I like all their material and can't wait for a new album. Summer's Flame is great

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:08 pm 

they basically make viking metal though, folk mixed with metal in a viking metal way opposed to being folk/black or something.

Frostwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:22 pm 

To me they just mix traditional metal (in later work) with black metal but they do it in a way no one else has. I just call them Pagan Metal

Zeroflux
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:02 am 

A genre cannot be named after lyrical content, that's just silly. That's why I think that Viking Metal is not a legitimate genre, and so isn't Anglo-Saxon Metal or Pirate Metal. That being said, I would say that they're Black Metal with lots of influences of Folk. I think that all bands that are tagged as Viking Metal have their own distinct sound, but they sound all similar together, so theoretically it would be a true genre but it just doesn't sound right.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:11 am 

i think Forefather actually has a Viking metal sound, its like in the middle of black and folk metal

Candehman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:04 am 

I don't think Forefather has the Viking sound, they have the black metal elements sure but they also have a NWOBHM feel to me.

I like the term Anglo-Saxon Metal for them as well, but if they're the only band in the genre it isn't exactly a genre. Just a hybrid of the new wave and black metal.

Of them playing live; a few years ago I noticed they had Heathen Crusade in their "top 8" on Myspace and I was stoked, thought it meant they might be playing the HC festival, but nope, they shot down that dream, claimed they had no idea how HC got onto their friend's list lol.

Frostwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:19 pm 

Forefather live would definately be great. I'd fly to England just to see that

As for ''Anglo-Saxon metal'', Symbel is great in my opinion, although most would disagree. I can't wait for the new album

Zeroflux
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 am 

They should come to Canada with Kalmah and Moonsorrow. That would be orgasmic.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:35 am 

You guys already got a Kalmah tour. Don't be hogs! :P

- Tim Minchin

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.