Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:19 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations. I've skimmed over this thread and not seen it mentioned yet. Everything they did after was somewhat pale, and their newer stuff sounds like very plain modern rock (ala Velvet Revolver but without the big budget). But the debut's one of the best 'fun' albums out there; just pure, unadulterated energy with all the youthful energy you can ask for. It's easily one of the best albums of its era. People complain about the production and, occasionally, Sean Harris's vocals - but it's one of the more perfect metal albums out there. Even the nominal rock song works very well ('Sweet and Innocent').

Haha, I agree, man, but they shouldnt' really count..seems lots of bands cheesed out after their first album; that could be a whole other thread. I'd put Witchfynde in this category as well..although their first album isnt' as classic as "Lightning to the Nations", it's pretty good, and everything else they did seems rather shitty.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:32 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations. I've skimmed over this thread and not seen it mentioned yet. Everything they did after was somewhat pale, and their newer stuff sounds like very plain modern rock (ala Velvet Revolver but without the big budget). But the debut's one of the best 'fun' albums out there; just pure, unadulterated energy with all the youthful energy you can ask for. It's easily one of the best albums of its era. People complain about the production and, occasionally, Sean Harris's vocals - but it's one of the more perfect metal albums out there. Even the nominal rock song works very well ('Sweet and Innocent').

Haha, I agree, man, but they shouldnt' really count..seems lots of bands cheesed out after their first album; that could be a whole other thread. I'd put Witchfynde in this category as well..although their first album isnt' as classic as "Lightning to the Nations", it's pretty good, and everything else they did seems rather shitty.

I'm always a little surprised when a NWOBHM band has more than one great album. It was like a sudden rush of energy and great leap forward for metal and then all these confused attempts for rock stardom. Diamond Head's two other 80s albums are really quite weak; nothing horrible but far from exciting. Canterbury reminds me of iffy UFO album in places.

Witchfynde is pretty cool. I always like its somewhat eerie mix of Sabbath and Rush - stuff like 'Leaving Nadir' and 'Ready to Roll' is great. I've not heard the debut in its entirety but I should be getting it sent to me in early January from a trade. It gets a lot of hate because people really expect something more with that cover art. :lol:

Desolator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:18 pm 

Kvikksolvguttene
CMFlesh, Valgrinder, Throne Of Ahaz (x2), Mister Patate, Madcow, Skarpetteren (x2), SirHolm,turboeye, LegalizeMurder(x2),Sxull, Morholt, Luca_EW, TheHunter, NDK, sadp666, DTD, CombatFront, TheDesolateOne, Naedra, Mysticus (x2), Brandanschlag, avrlabel, Kubrat

ColdBurn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:43 pm 

Blind Illusion -:- The Sane Asylum

Top quality 80's thrash featuring Les Claypool from Primus

And one of my favourites:

Apotheosis -:- Farthest from the Sun

Symphonic Black/Thrashy Metal. Reminiscent of bands like Summoning and Agalloch in scope.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:54 pm 

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
Don't really know if this counts cause they changed their name later and made another album but at least:

Profugus Mortis - So It Begins

It does count because Blackguard are an embarassing piece of bullshit but that Profugus Mortis album is really great. I listen to it quite frequently, actually.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:20 pm 

Bands that are awesome and only release one album are such bastards. How can they tease us like this and get away with it! If they had any sense of decency they would just write me some more material so I have something to jerk off to at night. Or the afternoon. Whenever really.

Speaking of bastards, here is a big fuck you to Outworld for not continuing their one album hot streak.

*Shakes cane*

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:56 pm 

Valkija!!!

Best female fronted old-school heavy metal album of all time.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:57 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

I agree that Lightning (also known as The White Album) is their best work. it's a classic ive owned for many, many years, but: Canterbury and Borrowed Time are often progressive, dreamy and drawn out with some commercial rock touches. it's odd at first i'll admit. but i think it's more of a case of coming round to it/growing on you, y'know? well, thats my experience anyhow.

RandyJames16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:28 pm 

Has Winter's 'Into Darkness' album been mentioned yet?

HumanCollapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:56 pm 

RandyJames16 wrote:
Has Winter's 'Into Darkness' album been mentioned yet?

Don't think so. I hate myself for not putting that down. Essential.

darkness_devours
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:43 pm 

why hasn't sort vokter not been mentioned yet?

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:10 pm 

Visionary wrote:
Please stop turning this into a dull list thread. Most of the mentions I don't even know what genre of metal they are. Could be metalcore or speed metal for all I know. This is the metal discussion board for a reason. And lists are not discussion.

First one to come to mind is Assault - Survival in the Street. Very energetic speed metal with a lot of catchy rhythms and powerful vocals. The music has a bit of a sloppy sense to it but it is just so damn upbeat and fun to listen to.

Fucking yes! That record rules. It has that definite "heavy metal" attitude. I totally forgot about that album until you brought it up. Great record.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:55 pm 

Disciples of Mockery for one. Prelude to Apocalypse could easily be the best death metal album ever made. Basically what Pillard wanted Incantation to be. Not as evil as Incantation, but it's both faster and heavier than them. It's got a bit more excitement. The vocals aren't quite as good, but still, I'd put it up even higher than Mortal Throne of Nazarene.

Morpheus Decends too, A short, but cool death metal album. Solid riffs and a fantastic drum sound.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:09 am 

Whether this one counts I'm not sure but I'll throw it out.

Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence

The final output of Chuck. Similar to The Sound of Perseverance but with clean vocals. How can anyone not like the cleans?!

Named
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:46 am 

Fatal Embrace - Shadowsouls' Garden

Pretty much epitomizes what Melodic Swedish Black Metal can be. Their melodies are insane. The singer went on to the similar band Eternal lies, who coincidentally also only released one album (Spiritual Deception). Same style, approaching the level of Shadowsouls'..., but not quite as good.

Disinterment - Endless

Though not melodeath in the conventional sense, this is the best melodic death metal album to ever come from the states. Three part guitar harmonies that make me get off.

Whoregrind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:06 am 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
Whether this one counts I'm not sure but I'll throw it out.

Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence

The final output of Chuck. Similar to The Sound of Perseverance but with clean vocals. How can anyone not like the cleans?!

Although chuck schuldiner has been dead for 8 years now and control denied split up after his death, a new album is coming out early next year.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:18 pm 

The clean vocals are by Tim Aymar of Pharaoh; they're not just any old clean vocals, you guys!

Keepemfromfloppin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 am 

hmm probably thorr's hammer...

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:21 am 

I'm actually really glad that Spiral Architect only released one album, because that actual gives the rest of us a chance to catch up.

Battle of the Mice is one that definitely fits for me. Their first record made them out to be one of the most unique post metal bands around, mainly because of Julie Christmas's vocals. I suppose if I really want more I could just listen to Made Out of Babies, but I really liked hearing her in Battle of Mice more.

BloodandDope
ANTIFA Cheerleader (now with PMS!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:40 am 

Repugnant

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:33 am 

Visceral Evisceration - One of the oddest metal bands I've ever heard. Death/Doom mixed with Carcass like lyrics with a variety of vocal styles. A lot of people here already know them. Such an awesome band.

Ghost (Pol) - Very good Polish death metal band that not many people seem to know.

Infester - Unless I missed them on the first 3 pages, I can't believe nobody has mentioned them. Easily the most vile and evil death metal album I've heard.

Mordicus - Excellent death metal from Finland. Recently re-released as well.

Purtenance - More Finnish death metal. Whereas Mordicus were a bit more melodic, Purtenance were filthy and raw.

Vomiturition - Surprise, another death metal band from Finland! What can I say, this country ruled when it came to old school death metal.

Winds of Torment - A melodic death metal band from France. Before you run away, this is GOOD. Featuring a guitarist from the band Benighted.

BlackVision
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:30 am 

BURZUM

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 am 

Three pages and no one has mentioned Insect Warfare. World Extermination is one of the greatest slabs of grindcore ever conceived and sadly it was the only album we got from the band. Everything about the album is pure class: all of the songs are furiously aggressive; the 20 minute run time is spot on; the classic Earache tone brings back countless memories; the brief riffing homage to Repulsion and classic Napalm Death heighten the listening experience; and the musicianship leaves nothing to be desired.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3