Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:13 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
damaramou wrote:
If you have bad technique, and you never took the time to learn things properly or to learn other styles then you will get worse over time. That's what happened to Lars and many other 80's metal drummers who simply thrashed as fast as they could without any thought.

I'd imagine that not only does poor technique end up slowing them down and causing injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if they get bored of their own drumming as well, to the point where the fun goes out of it and there just laying down patterns just for the sake of the band. Or something like that.

That's probably true. I actually enjoy Lars on "Kill 'em All" quite a lot..he's got plenty of exuberance and his weirdly timed (not off, exactly, just kinda spicey) accents on songs like "Seek and Destroy" make me grin and are fun to play along with. Don't you think his style did develop, though? He was never one of the fastest drummers around, and he's arguably more of a rock drummer, or at least has been since the mid-90s. He doesn't seem to have the right feel for rock music, though..in fact I'd say he's become quite unsubtle and dull, for whatever reason.

Agree with you 100% on both Lars and Fenriz. Fenriz showed off his chops on Soulside Journey, and after that has always been a solid backbeat for the riffs. He said it himself, Darkthrone is a riff band and his drums always compliment the riffs quite nicely. His work on the newer albums especially have been awesome and enjoyable.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:52 pm 

samewarriorchannel wrote:
Gene Hoglan.

Why?
He is overrated. He lacks power, speed, and variation. Simply put he is just flat out boring.

Troll!! Hoglan has awesome speed, power, AND variation. I mean, if I had to say three qualities that were best about Hoglan, it'd be these three things. Maybe consistency/accuracy over speed, but still.

I have to agree with Lars Ulrich. Awful drummer and his success/fame is completely undeserved.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:53 am 

Some guy said Gene Hoglan :???:
Hoglan is one of the best drummers, with much power, speed and variation. Even in his albums with Death and even Dethklok... a good drummer, excelent, if not, perfect.
Lars Ulrich to me it's not so bad. I like him in One (specially in this song) Trapped Under Ice and Fight Fire With Fire. Not the best drummer in the Thrash scene (Dave Lombardo perhaps :headbang:), but an average drummer. And yes, he's better than the drummer of Pelican.
That skill is very very simple and easy. Lacks of speed, and variation (again, specially this) :grin:

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:59 am 

Erisgaroth wrote:
...Not the best drummer in the Thrash scene (Dave Lombardo perhaps :headbang:)...

I don't understand all the love for Dave Lombardo. I've always thought he was a decent drummer but when I saw Slayer live he was sloppy as fuck. Really disappointing. Although to be fair, it was not Slayer's best night (Tom Araya couldn't sing, sound problems, etc).

I'd second that comment about Varg's sloppiness (especially on Det som engang var) but you do get used to it over time.

As well as Paul from Cannibal Corpse. While he might not be the worst (far from it IMO) he is very uninteresting... and too slow :(

I've never found anything praise worthy about Louie Clemente (Testament). When he comes on to drum on the Live in London DVD... uggh.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3