Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:59 pm 

In no particular order:

Krallice-"Dimensional Bleedthrough". A great, great album. A slightly different beast (no more guitar squeals like those in "Forgiveness in Rot" :cry:) but equally if not more enjoyable.

Altar of Plagues-"White Tomb". One of the most intense albums I've ever heard, of any genre. Songwriting is unbelievable on this one.

Insect Warfare-"Noise Grind Power Death". The biggest "fuck you" imaginable methinks.

Katharsis-"Fourth Reich". Pure, no nonsense black metal. Not very original, but dripping with passion to make up for that. Great production on this one too.

Orcustus-"Orcustus". See Katharsis.

Cannibal Corpse-"Evisceration Plague". A legendary band doing what they do best. The guitar tone is pure orgasm as well.

Wolves in the Throne Room-"Black Cascade". More black metal and much more consistency on this one than in the past.

Teitanblood-"Seven Chalices". One of the most evil albums ever.

Magrudergrind-"Magrudergrind". Pure, pissed off crust/grind. Good sample usage as well.

Marduk-"Wormwood". Very diverse, and equally enjoyable.

Anaal Nathrakh-"In the Constellation of the Black Widow". Brilliantly combines the old style with the new. (Fun fact: I happen to be wearing the shirt for this album as I type this.)

That's all for now. I have a few more that need another listen or two.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:20 pm 

nasum wrote:
Vektor - Black Future

:durr:

How could I have forgotten this? Album of the year for me right now.

edgarallenw0ah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:55 pm 

1. Converge - "Axe to Fall"
Converge never disappoints. My favorite since Jane Doe.

2. Baroness - "Blue Record"
I haven't stopped listening to this one since it came out.

3. ISIS - "Wavering Radiant"
This record received a lot of negative attention I think it's one of their best and I love the way the band has grown.

4. Eagle Twin - "The Unkindness of Crows"
Incredible debut album. Excited to see what this band does next.

5. Portal - "Swarth"
One of the most creative records I've hear in a long time. I listened to it once and put it down for a few weeks. Then I found myself wanting to hear more of it. It quickly became a favorite

6. Sunn O))) - "Monoliths and Dimensions"
My favorite Sunn o))) yet. great change of pace.

7. Anaal Nathrakh - "Constellation of the Black Widow"
One I heard the vocals on this record I was hooked. Very catchy and very quick

8. Wolves in the Throne Room - "Black Casscade"
My favorite WITTR album yet.

9. Nile - "Those Whom the Gods Detest"
Instantly fell in love with this one.

10. Krallice - "Dimensional Bleedthrough"
I was looking forward to this release since I heard their first one and was absolutely thrilled when it came out. I think it's the bands best work.

samewarriorchannel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:45 pm 

None. 2009 was another bad year of metal.

Fun Fact: 2009 continues the trend of bad metal since the year 1986. Bring the tally up to 23 years of piss poor metal.

DeathMetalProgRocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:53 pm 

Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor.
Completely blew their previous offerings out the water. Really focused and very unique it has pretty much everything I could ever want in an extreme metal album.

Katatonia - Night Is The New Day
Fan boyism aside this is genuinely a solid album. The songs are atmospheric, beautiful and as somber and depressing as I have come to expect from my favourite band. Tracks like Onwards Into Batlle, Longest Year and truly exceptional final track Departer really show a step forward from TGCD.

Cobalt - Gin
Whilst in my eyes not as good as Eater of Birds (not as proggy I found) Gin is still one hell of an album. Nice to hear some genuinely grim black metal without any of this pussy post rock rubbing off of it. All aspects of the album are great and the album really did shed light on a band deserving pf praise.

Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
Wow. As per usual they fucking release something with more riffs, hooks and terrifying vocals as if it was nothing. Just an amazing album through and through. I also enjoyed the muddier production than Hell Is Empty... this time round too. Gave the songs like Satanachrist a really dark and violent sound.

Porcupine Tree - The Incident
Great album and amazing live. Needs to be listened through and through to get the full extent of the greatness. Not really a jump in and out album which stopped me playing it as much as some others but still great none the less.

Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave
You know exactly what this will be. Truly fucking awesome grindcore. As per usual one of the best live acts I have ever seen delivar another cracking studio album. Riffs are truly epic at times.

Ignominious Incarceration - Of Winter Born
Some bloody good melodeath on here. Nothing too amazing but there are some very catchy songs and some of the riffs are so simple but so effective you can't help but hum along with the melodies. Solid and clear production through and through as well.

The albums I have yet to have enough time to fully enjoy but will probably love are:
Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue.
Alter Of Plagues - White Tomb
Viraemia - Viraemia
Everything said here is true. You could also replace the word 'metallica' with 'opeth'.

Last edited by DeathMetalProgRocker on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:57 pm 

Not very happy about it, but once again it's nada.

Chatham
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:56 am 

Thanks to everyone who posted. I got some good ideas for things I missed here. Here's my list:

I AGREE (ALBUMS ALREADY MENTIONED):
DESTROYER 666 Defiance: I don't have any of their previous CDs, so I can't say how it stacks up to, say, Phoenix Rising. But it stands up great on its own.
KRALLICE Dimensional Bleedthrough: Very full sound, my favorite black metal album this year.
ANAAL NATHRAKH In the Consellation of the Black Widow: Fast, fast, fast!
BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME Great Misdirect: No, it's not metal per se, but it is challenging and rewarding.
OBSCURA Cosmogenesis: Cohesive tech-death. You can actually remember it once it's done playing.
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Addicted: Big, fun, dumb metal album. Would I have liked this if it didn't come from Devin? Probably, but it never would have crossed my radar.
GOATWHORE Carving Out the Eyes of God: Almost thrashy riffs. Zips right by.
KREATOR Hordes of Chaos: Really enjoyed this. Effective use of melody.
HYPOCRISY Taste of Extreme Divinity: We're still talking about aliens.

UNMENTIONED SO FAR:
DARKEST HOUR Eternal Return: A lot less sugary-sweet than their prior album.
CHTHONIC Mirror of Retribution: Lot going on here, as usual. And, as usual, they make it work.
ACCUSED Curse of Martha Splatterhead: Crossover fun like in days of yore.
SACRIFICE Ones I Condemn: Thrash with harsh vocals. This CD actually beat up my EVILE CD for its lunch money.

KIND OF A DISAPPOINTMENT:
NILE Those Whom the Gods Detest: I don't want to make any enemies here, but I 'm starting to think that Nile is not my particular brand of vodka. The faster songs are fine.

OMEGA ORDER SALE:
I picked up a bunch of great stuff on sale at THE END RECORDS/OMEGA ORDER. The new Baroness and BBTBAM and a bunch of other stuff are $9.99 each under the TONES OF DEATH.COM sale, with a free t-shirt. You can also get 18% off anything through the 20th and then 15% off anything through the 31st. Gift cards are 10% off.

Last edited by Chatham on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:07 am 

samewarriorchannel wrote:

Fun Fact: 2009 continues the trend of bad metal since the year 1986. Bring the tally up to 23 years of piss poor metal.

Stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

The_Poltergeist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:43 am 

I haven't heard much from this year since I've mostly checked out older stuff but I can think of a few(in alphabetical order):

Amorphis - Skyforger

Another awesome album from this band, great vocals and lots of variation.

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Children of the Dark Waters

My introduction to them, it's dark, epic, sad and has great keyboard use, I love it.

God Dethroned - Passiondale

Again, my introduction to them, it has a great war-atmosphere.

Insomnium - Across the Dark

A step down from Above the Weeping World, but still great.

That is everything I've heard enough to give an opinion about, I still have a lot to check out.

Last edited by The_Poltergeist on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:33 am 

I find myself too poor to be constantly buying CDs, nor do I end up giving enough time to grab stuff off blogspot pages. I'm usually too busy checking out metal from yesteryear or other genres. But anyway...

Alestorm - Black Sails at Midnight: If I'm being perfectly honest, I doubt I would buy this if it wasn't for my personal connections, brief tenure and involvement on this release. I could pick so many holes in it - it's an incredibly schizophrenic album, but I'm proud of it and pleased with the job producer Lasse did making a presentable album out of the songs we rushed to get written. Still don't have my copy yet :lol:

Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs: Bridges the gap between black metal and post-punk nicely, even if on the more twee side.

Askival - Eternity: Fucking stunning one-man pagan BM from Scotland. Anyone into Kroda should definitely check it out. In fact, everyone should listen to the track Forged in the Fires of Alba. He's abandoning the project I'm told, but he's bringing out one more release, which judging from the teaser he had up on his myspace, sounded sublime.

Cobalt - Gin: Not even my sort of thing, but I like it when black metal branches out into different aesthetic sensibilities like that, if you see what I mean.

Devin Townsend - Addicted: Just a load of awesome likeable hits with tons of layering, just how I like it.

Fen - The Malediction Fields: It's vaguely Agallochy but generally BM, and except for big mountains it's just the flat landscapes of The Fens.

Wodensthrone - Loss: Possibly the biggest gigging pagan-based UKBM band at the moment. Very Drudkh/Negura Bunget inspired, but then I like those bands.

Xerath - Xerath I: Mates of mine, did a great job.

UNSIGNED:

Ealdulf - Hrimcealde Sae: Everyone here should check this out. Buy the bloody CD from them it's worth it. It's pagan BM with a DBM sort of sound, so really 'out there-y' and ambient. Best UKBM band imho.

Guthrum - The First Ode to Many: One-man UKBM band from Hull. Will play live soon, I'm told.

Nightmare World - No Regrets: Power metal. Fronted by a guy who's now singing for Power Quest.

Waves of Amphitrite - Wonders of the Fey-born Night: Somewhere between Sonata Arctica, Bal-Sagoth and Finntroll, with a touch of Blind Guardian style epicness and escapism, to my ears. They're supporting Korpiklaani and Tyr in Chicago in January.

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:01 pm 

I think 2009 has been a great year, last year was as well, but this year saw some great releases. There are so many that I still have to get but this is my list:

Altar of Plagues - White Tomb - An album that I havent listened to for a while but a great piece of post-rock/shoegaze influenced black metal. Ireland really does have such an underrated extreme metal scene. Definately looking forward to what these guys release next.

Sólstafir - Köld - I dont think this album has been mentioned yet, I might be wrong. But if it hasnt why the hell not. I got this album on a whim one day and I can tell you I'm so glad I did. Much like Altar of Plagues they mix black metal with post-rock but in a less dreamy shoegazy way. A great album, however one of those albums that needs to be listened completely to be digested properly.

Paramore - Brand New Eyes - Another good album from the pop rockers, has the same fun nature of the previous album with the young vibrace of their first one. What can I say, Paramore is a guilty pleasure of sorts, if you buy this album you will be prey to it as well.

Irepress - Sol Eye Sea I - Wow what an experience. You will never hear a post-rock album so close to Meshuggah and God Is An Astronaut ever in your life. Its heavy, soft, mellow, beutiful. It mixes in great keyboards and features unorthadox instruments that really mix this album up. From the first track to the last you will be blown away by it. If your into post-rock, please for the love of god buy this album, you will not regret it.

Ghost Brigade - Isolation Songs - This was a close call for my number one this year. A beutiful album, melancholic, heavy yet mellow metal. Amazing vocals, one second lovely Renkse like vocals and the next amazing growls. An album that will raise the hairs on your arms thats for sure.

Katatonia - Night Is the New Day - Now we come to the best album not only of 2009, but of Katatonia's whole disography. What can I say. I honestly dont think I can. Beutiful. Amazing production, everything working in perfect harmony, Jonas' vocals are amazing, the best he has ever done in my opinion. In all the mist of Megadeth and all the other hasbeens that have released an album this year, please, please, please buy this album. It is a work of art.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:04 pm 

The Devil You know and Death... the Brutal way both are nothing new and both are not even up to par with the classics, but I still enjoyed hearing some new material in the same vein of the albums I loved so much.

Crack the Skye is the only one that really jumped out for me though, something interesting and relevant in an ocean of coma inducing stagnation.
They've abandoned their previous more straightforward, aggressive sound for something more restrained and layered with proggy textures, which automatically makes it bad in the eyes of some people, but to deny it's a milestone is just stupid.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:10 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Crack the Skye is the only one that really jumped out for me though, something interesting and relevant in an ocean of coma inducing stagnation.
They've abandoned their previous more straightforward, aggressive sound for something more restrained and layered with proggy textures, which automatically makes it bad in the eyes of some people, but to deny it's a milestone is just stupid.

Haha, is this a joke? What's so stupid about it? Crack the Skye is not a milestone in anything; it is terrible, annoying music for people who don't know any better.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:16 pm 

It is a milestone in the fact that it's something original, explores bounderies and combines genres, how much you like it doesn't factor into it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:24 pm 

It just sounded like a horrible exploitation of 70s rock mixed with their own terrible songwriting to me. I honestly did not hear any of what you described in this album, I'm sorry. It would be fine if I thought the album was merely mediocre or misguided, but since I actively hate the album in question I can't agree that it is any kind of milestone.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:34 pm 

Actually, mixing progrock leads and guitar textures with their already distinctive brand of sludge sounds like a pretty good example.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:04 pm 

I do not hear even one lick of professionalism, tact or songwriting talent in this particular tome. They do mix prog rock with sludge but the haphazard way they do it renders it so weak that I find it ludicrous that it could be considered some kind of progressive milestone.

Opinions will obviously vary, as is shown by the reviews on this site, but I just can't agree at all that this album is doing anything positive for music. It certainly isn't derivative, but that should not make something a milestone alone.

But then again most of my Best of 09 list is albums that don't do something completely original. It's been a very traditional kind of year.

I still maintain that Bloodbound's Tabula Rasa is more unique and compelling by a thousandfold than this Mastodon stuff.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I do not hear even one lick of professionalism, tact or songwriting talent in this particular tome. They do mix prog rock with sludge but the haphazard way they do it renders it so weak that I find it ludicrous that it could be considered some kind of progressive milestone.

They execute whatever style it is perfectly and are excellent musicians, you seem to confuse poor songwriting with the problems you have with its restrained, carefull and admittingly un-heavy style, at least thats the impression I get after reading your review and seeing you mention a super-straightforward, accesible album as Tabula Rasa as something far better in comparison.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:14 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

They execute whatever style it is perfectly and are excellent musicians, you seem to confuse poor songwriting with the problems you have with its restrained, carefull and admittingly un-heavy style, at least thats the impression I get after reading your review and seeing you mention a super-straightforward, accesible album as Tabula Rasa as something far better in comparison.

Tabula Rasa sounds like nothing else I've ever heard. It has a unique feel to it and the staccato melodeath riffing combined with the astounding vocals make it a treat to listen to. It is fresh and has a lot of really good songwriting ideas. It is not inaccessible, but I wouldn't call it just another straightforward, catchy album without substance, or anything.

I don't mean to draw comparisons so much between two albums that are so different, but no, I have absolutely no problems with bands playing "restrained, careful and un-heavy" music, as if there was some doubt to that.

RiderontheStorm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:20 pm 

Avicularia - Born to Be Vile.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:55 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I still maintain that Bloodbound's Tabula Rasa is more unique and compelling by a thousandfold than this Mastodon stuff.

Do you like the album or do you simply think it outdoes Mastodon in originality?
I'm listening to it now and as far as I got I must say the vocals are really good.

darkdead wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:56 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Do you like the album or do you simply think it outdoes Mastodon in originality?
I'm listening to it now and as far as I got I must say the vocals are really good.

It's my third favorite in 2009. It might not blend as many genres as Mastodon does, I was just saying that I thought it was better written and still unique on its own. Subtly so.

Like the song "Take One." Very interesting vocal lines and riffing patterns make that song just kick ass. They're making simple music intertwined with a lot of smaller, subtle touches that elevate it above their competition.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

It's my third favorite in 2009. It might not blend as many genres as Mastodon does, I was just saying that I thought it was better written and still unique on its own. Subtly so.

Like the song "Take One." Very interesting vocal lines and riffing patterns make that song just kick ass. They're making simple music intertwined with a lot of smaller, subtle touches that elevate it above their competition.

I'm not familiar with Mastodon at all, I've seen them live once and that was one of the lamest performances I've ever witnessed so I never bothered with them.
Other than that, I agree with you. It's not your average run of the mill power metal album.

darkdead wrote:

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:29 pm 

Wow, so many great albums, very impressive year for metal. Since there are a number of albums that have already been mentioned, there is one album that stood out for me this year.

YOB - The Great Cessation - I don't think I spun any other disc as much, for as long as it has been sitting in my car stereo. And though it may not be their strongest release (after finally carefully running through their entire discography), it certainly is a great comeback for this Oregon group. And it shows. Through this epic 5-track opus, their unique style of stoner doom keeps the flow intense and more intimate, serving a healthy dose of crushing doom atmosphere. Mike Scheidt's vocal performance and riffs are superb, crafting very catchy monuments in the band's history.

Finally, I must mention, I bought this album at complete random, without any prior knowledge of the band, so it was a great starting point. And serves as a fond memory for me in 2009.

Honorable mentions already mentioned:
Augury - Fragmentary Evidence
Baroness - The Blue Record
Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes of God
The Devin Townsend Project - Ki & Addicted
Gorod - Process of a New Decline
Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire
Portal - Swarth

PsyMoN_MDA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:30 pm 

I'd remark my top three:
1)Paradise Lost - Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us
Very strong, very catchy, the guys can still play true gothic metal. It's a slap in the face to nowadays "gothic" stuff, like him or todiefor. Atmosphere, riffing, lyrics, everything.
2)Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro pro Eternus
I had been O________O after hearing My Funeral on their myspace. Strong as Diabolis, hard...Emperor Magus Caligula did a fucking amazing vocal performance, like in his old days
3)Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
solid, as every nile album...Karl & Co., in my opinion, keep playing interesting music, even if it's the same sound

Other:
Behemoth - Evangelion
Vader - Necropolis
Obituary - Darkest Day

Abbath wrote:
Have an ice day!

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:21 pm 

RiderontheStorm wrote:

Yes. They are also in my top 10 2009.
But you are the member arent you? :))

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:34 pm 

PsyMoN_MDA wrote:
2)Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro pro Eternus
I had been O________O after hearing My Funeral on their myspace. Strong as Diabolis, hard...Emperor Magus Caligula did a fucking amazing vocal performance, like in his old days.

This album was a very pleasant surprise for me as well. I had never cared for the band before but this was amazing.

darkdead wrote:

monstor344
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:26 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from but I think you're exaggerating the extent of the issues on the album. There were moments on here that were definitely clunky (i.e. The Last Baron...:durr:) but overall they were outnumbered by moments where Mastodon just "got it" like they never had it before in previous albums (and I think The Last Baron is the track on which everything positive finally becomes realized). While Crack the Skye sometimes plays like a transition album, other times when I listen to it everything just sort of works like it always does on the final track (the atmosphere in particular). In a way though, I also kind of wish this were a transition album and not just another peg in Mastodon's discography because I really think they can do something consistently amazing with this newfound style. Instead, or so I hear, they are pursuing death metal on their next release :rolleyes:

stoli_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:03 am 

The king is only one.

The riffs on this album smash every Immortal album since At The Heart Of Winter.

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:52 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
RiderontheStorm wrote:

Yes. They are also in my top 10 2009.
But you are the member arent you? :))

After listening this album for few times I too would add it to my best of 2009 list.
And also Black Math Horseman - Wyllt is awesome album.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 am 

It's been a solid year for grind. I could easily rip out a top 30 but from reading over this thread it looks like very few people would care and/or know who I'm taking about. Suffice to say, "Time Waits For No Slave" is no where near my top 10.

Regards,
Wormrot fan boy

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 pm 

TOP 5:

5. Into Night's Requim Infernal (November's Doom) - It's a November's Doom album, what can you say? The album sounds very similar to the Novella Reservoir. I can't say weather it is more death or doom, but I pretty equal blend of both, but fans of their older albums might say it is surely more death. Paul's vocals never fail to amaze, and the drum work on this album is pretty complex too. "Empathy's Greed" is my favorite track on the album. The opening acoustics lead into some epic riffage. The chorus is probably the heaviest on the album. "I Hurt Those I Adore" actually made me laugh. The way the chorus is presented is just straight up funny in my opinion. It sounds like a poem I wrote in 4th grade. Though it's still a great song. Overall INRI is a strong effort but nothing that November's Doom fans haven't seen before really.

4. Across the Dark (Insomnium) - Going into 2009 Across the Dark was the album that I had the highest expectations for. Above the Weeping World was a true masterpiece in my eyes and I was eager to see what Insomnium's next album would sound like. Although I was initially disappointed with Across the Dark, the album is far from bad. The riffs on ATD are the best Insomnium has ever done. Clean vocals are a nice addition to Insomnium's sound, which I hope they keep in years to come. The vocals are still epic and powerful. The problem with ATD is that it loses the atmosphere that has defined Insomnium's sound from the beginning. It's hard to convey a feeling of melancholy when you've got some extremely complex riffs coming at you at full speed. "Weighted Down with Sorrow" and "Down with the Sun" are my personal favorites on the album, as both manage to hold the melancholic atmosphere, however neither of them contain any of the excellent clean vocals featured on the album. Across the Dark does not top Above the Weeping World, however it is still a strong effort and an excellent album.

3. Esoteric (Skyfire) - This was the album that really surprised me this year. Skyfire's previous efforts weren't really very impressive. Esoteric, however, takes it to a whole other level. They lightened up on the synth a lot which actually let me hear the guitars. The new vocalist is a great addition and puts there previous vocalist to shame. The new sound is much more "classical" esque than the previous albums. The riffs on the album can actually be heard and there mostly good, and they compliment the vocals and drumming well. Keyboards on this album have been severely limited on this album compared to Skyfire's other three releases. However, when they do show there heads, they are nothing short of great. "Let the Old World Burn" is my favorite track on the album. It really showcases what the album is about, and the solo is one of the most epic I have ever heard (it's not technical but it sounds just awesome). Overall I am a huge fan of skyfire's new sound and I am eager to see what's next with this young, very talented band.

2. New Moon (Swallow the Sun) - New Moon might be the heaviest Swallow the Sun album to date. The songs generally seem darker too, which is a plus and it seems that the album is a more traditional death metal album than the albums before it. The vocals are a mix of traditional black metal growls and the thick "doom" growls, complimented with clean vocals at times. "These Woods Breathe Evil" is probably my favorite track on the album, as it progresses from melancholic keyboard symphonies to classic death metal riffs fronted with a strong black vox. "Falling World" is also an interesting track, as it features clean vocals most of the way through, however they mix perfectly with the growls and epic riffs of the song. "New Moon" (the track) has a nice solo and is another personal favorite of my mine on the album. Overall New Moon might be my favorite Swallow the Sun album and is surely one of my favorite albums of 2009.

1. From Afar (Ensiferum) - 2007's Victory Songs was the first Ensiferum album to not feature Jari Maenapa on vocals. And although Maenapa's vocals are great, this new Ensiferum has a really unique sound. From Afar follows up on this perfectly and branches out in so many different directions. The songs on From Afar are much longer than older Ensiferum albums. However they are filled with the best Ensiferum content I have ever heard. The growls have seen no real change. However the clean vocals have gotten much stronger and much more epic and "viking-like". This is the most folkish Ensiferum album to date and features some unique sounds that a lot of metalheads have never heard of. It sounds like something from the Viking ages, just with guitars. The lyrics make me think I am listening to some ancient Norse opera. If I had to pick a favorite song I would say "The Longest Journey (Heathen Throne Part II)", however the entire album is fantastic. "Stone Cold Metal" features a very intriguing segment with what I believe to be a viking instrument of some sort. Overall From Afar is my favorite album of 2009 and I kudos Ensiferum for creating an absolute masterpiece of an album.

DISAPPOINTMENTS:

The Root of All Evil (Arch Enemy) - Burning Bridges is one of my favorite albums of all time. The remake of the first three AE albums (Black Earth, Stigmata, and Burning Bridges) which feature Johann Liiva, not Arch Enemy frontwoman Angela Gossow sounded great for people like me who love the first three albums much more than the 4 with Angela. However, this album is just a disaster. Angela's voice compliments fast guitarwork, not the slow, highly technical, melodic riffs of the Liiva years.

Skeletons in the Closet (Children of Bodom) - It's a cover album, 99% of the time cover albums suck. SitC certainly proves my claim (although the "Oops, I did it Again" cover is hysterically funny).

Dark Matter Dimensions (Scar Symmetry) - Seriously the new vocalists are jokes. What idiot chose to replace Christian with these clowns. Any Christian Alvestam fans should wait for Solution .45's new album but DMD is just a joke.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

HumanCollapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 pm 

206 wrote:
It's been a solid year for grind. I could easily rip out a top 30 but from reading over this thread it looks like very few people would care and/or know who I'm taking about. Suffice to say, "Time Waits For No Slave" is no where near my top 10.

Regards,
Wormrot fan boy

Go for it.

I've barely listened to anything new this year, since I've had no time. So I'd much appreciate it. And yes Wormrot is amazing. ;)

cremationconfetti
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:15 pm 

samewarriorchannel wrote:

Cynical, are we?
Evangelion was one of my favorites of the year. I liked the direction Behemoth went in for it. Darker, heavier, and just all together better composing...
Lamb Of God's Wrath album also blew me away. More diverse and interesting than their previous albums.

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:16 pm 

Lately, I've been absolutely obsessed with Swallow the Sun's New Moon. It may not be their best release, but it certainly is my favorite at this point in time. Surprisingly solid throughout with such a haunting yet beautiful atmosphere. Recommended for any doom fans.

masterofordure
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:19 pm 

I can't believe how awesome the Vektor's debut is. JUST AMAZING.

BloodandDope
ANTIFA Cheerleader (now with PMS!)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:29 pm 

Oh shit. Ok, lets do this, from best to least best

1. Tribulation - The Horror

Its been a long time since Ive heard something tis awesome and with this much originality. Im just really happy that there are still people making music like this. Powerful. My album of the year, no doubt.

2. Destroyer 666 - Defiance

I Am Not Decieved.

3. Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions

Sunn O)))'s best work. The atmosphere and mood this album sets is executed perfectly. Attila really adds to this.

4. Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow

Soundtrack to the apocolypse

5. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom

Robert Lowe is a god.

6. Nile - For Whom the Gods Detest

Like everything Nile puts out, this album is technical mastery without sacrificing intensity and emotion like so many other technical death metla bands do.

7. Vader - Necropolis

Vader being Vader. Nuff said.

8. Eagle Twin - The Unkindness of Crows

Rarely do I hear an album this original anymore. Sets a great mood and stays interesting

9. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

Dio rules.

10. Blood Red Throne - Souls of Damnation

Early Swedish death hero worship? Yes please. Also as a bass player its hard not to love this album.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:23 pm 

I did a last fm journal of this, have a look!

http://www.last.fm/user/johngebreadman/ ... ms_of_2009

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:28 pm 

These kinds of threads drive me crazy since I haven't heard 90% of the stuff listed and I know I probably won't get to hear all of it. I ended up constructing a list on notepad of as many 2009 releases as possible. It's over 200 and I know I'm not close to being finished :(

Morning_Star
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:28 pm 

Blut Aus Nord-Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

not only do i think this is the album of the year, but one of the most impressive pieces of music ive ever heard. its great for any mood, and especially nice to put on before bed.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next