Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:10 pm 

READ THIS FIRST:

This thread basically asks you a question. What are your top X albums of 2009 and why? That X is up to you. You can list 5 albums, you can list 50.

There is one rule that you should follow... Don't just list the album! Tell us, the audience, why YOU chose that particular album to be on your top X list. Describe what makes it so great and why you in particular like it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This year has been a great year for metal. A lot of the albums released in 2009 have been absolutely stellar. With a comeback from Megadeth and one of the best albums of Ronnie James Dio's career, this year is probably already the best of the decade for metal between 2000 and 2009.

My top list will be separated into two parts... One will be for doom and funeral doom bands, because I found myself with an extreme obsession with these sort of bands. Second part is for non-doom bands.

First the non-doom bands. I will go from 10 to 1, so the last one on this list is the best of the list.

10. Kreator - Hordes of Chaos: Intensely catchy and a surprise from one of the greats of Teutonic thrash. I expected groove fest and something along the lines of Exodus, but that's what I get for just paying attention to their earlier albums. Everything they've done recently has been good material, but Hordes of Chaos even tops everything they've done recently.

9. Sybreed - The Pulse of Awakening: I've listened to this album over and over, it's great driving music. It's also this album that introduced me to Sybreed. Their first two are absolutely sensational, much better than this disc, but this is no less catchy. If you're going to be groove and electronica oriented, you might as well go all the way instead of almost being there (like a lot of the sucky bands that do this do). Sybreed pulls off this sound better than any other band I have heard.

8. Insomnium - Across the Dark: I almost left this out of this list and put this in the Doom category, I keep forgetting that Insomnium isn't really all that slow, but rather mid pace melodic death metal.

7. Cloudkicker - Portmanteau: A mini album by one of the strangest and most unique bands I've ever heard. It's extremely atmospheric instrumental progressive metal with jazz fusion influences and plenty of Meshuggah style chugging. This band isn't on the archives, so search for their Myspace - they offer their material for download.

6. Devourment - Unleash the Carnivore: The third full length by one of the heaviest fucking bands of all time. This album earned its spot on my repeat list and I still revisit it from time to time. I find myself listening to this more than Molesting the Decapitated.

5. Rumpelstiltskin Grinder - Living for Death, Destroying the Rest: FINALLY! A new album by one of my favorite area thrash bands. Now if only Divination releases their long awaited Age of Man (which now I hear is set for a May 2010 release... along with a new Gloominous Doom album and a new Throdl disc!). Crossover hardcore influenced thrash showcasing the bands more serious side... Whiplash may occur.

4. Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity: Personally, I believe they outdid Virus. Virus was a great album, but some parts in the middle plodded a long and didn't stick to my memory as well... but with A Taste of Extreme Divinity I spun this disc over and over... in my head!

3. Depressed Mode - ...For Death: A disappointment on one hand and a surprise on another. I expected a crushing Funeral doom album in the vein of Shape of Despair. Instead I got a rival to Eternal Tears of Sorrow style Melodic Death Metal. They almost topped that band too.

2. Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Children of the Dark Waters: Best melodic death album of the year by far. Even if Time were to be released this year, I doubt it would even surpass Insomnium on this list.

1. Megadeth - Endgame: What does it say about the state of metal that for all intents and purposes I expected this album to suck? It's certainly not the album of the year, if this list were mixed with the Doom list it'd barely scratch the top 6. However, Megadeth just proved beyond a doubt that the old guys can still rock it, and not just our lord and savior Ronnie James Dio (Scroll down to see Heaven and Hell's place... all the way down)

--------

Top 10 doom albums, starting from number 10.

10: Longing for Dawn - Between Elation and Despair: Atmospheric funeral doom and a worthy successor to Treacherous Ascension.

9: Swallow the Sun - New Moon: I was absolutely giddy for the release of this album, I'll admit. They keep their melodic form of doom/death such that it keeps the listener entertained but always offers more with each listen.

8: Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions: This whole release is perfectly described as a massive monolith of sonic art. The biggest surprise was the melodic outro, one of the most beautiful works of music I've ever heard of any genre.

7. Ea - Ea II: The continuation of Ea Taesse by one of the most mysterious bands in the Funeral Doom genre. For a funeral doom album, it is rather short... but I still haven't digested it, I keep getting so carried away with its melodies and otherworldly atmosphere.

6. Arcana Coelestia - Le Mirage de L'Ideal: Melodic, atmospheric, funeral doom with elements of black metal. If it weren't for the rest of the albums on this list, this would be album of the year.

5. Ego Depths - Equilibrium Sickness: Back to the roots funeral doom, with a slower version of Sear Me by My Dying Bride to close the album.

The next three albums are pretty much tied, but I didn't want to have more than ten on this list.

4. Mournful Congregation - The June Frost: Beautiful Doom, doesn't quite top their previous full length but it sure comes close! An hour of melodic funeral doom, including some of the best interludes they've done. It doesn't have as much acoustic majesty as The Monad of Creation and some parts seem a bit pointless... such as The Februar Winds, but nevertheless this is a damn classic album!

3. Ahab - The Divinity of Oceans: This funeral doom album damn near rivals The Monad of Creation by Mournful Congregation. I knew this was going to be a good album, but they even put Call of the Wretched Sea to shame! This album is meant to be listened to over and over... and would be best if listened to while trying to escape a sinking ship.

2. Profetus - Coronation of the Black Sun: This band came out of nowhere. I never heard of them until sometime in May of this year. I downloaded them along with 50 other funeral doom albums that day on a downloading binge that got a hold of me and did not let go. Fast forward to October when I listened to this album intently. I was so swept off my feet people around me were asking me if I was alright, that I looked dead and had a constant blank stare. I was scaring people, just by listening to this with headphones, because it put me in such a state of mind that people didn't even recognize me. This is the beauty of funeral doom... there are bands that no one has ever heard of that are capable of putting out some of the best material ever made. This album captures a unique atmosphere that no other band has come close to... except for Thergothon and a little band called Foetor.

1. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know: So, here it is... the top album of 2009. Nothing will beat this treasure of treasures, so I post my list now with a sort of stubborn confidence that nothing released from today on will come close to the quality and craftmanship of this album. All I need to mention are the vocals, which is not the singing of a mere human being, but an angel of Metal... Ronnie James Dio!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Leviathus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 pm 

1) Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation of the Black Widow

I have yet to find any other music that sounds like this, great vox and musicianship. Nothing to dislike in this album. Listen to it everyday.

/fin.

mishra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 pm 

Leviathus wrote:
1) Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation of the Black Widow

I have yet to find any other music that sounds like this, great vox and musicianship. Nothing to dislike in this album. Listen to it everyday.

/fin.

I was literally about to post this exact same album. I've been posting it all over, and a lot of critics seem to have slept on it. But no question, In The Constellation Of The Black Widow is my album of 09

metalfreak_1994
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:59 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
1. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know: So, here it is... the top album of 2009. Nothing will beat this treasure of treasures, so I post my list now with a sort of stubborn confidence that nothing released from today on will come close to the quality and craftmanship of this album. All I need to mention are the vocals, which is not the singing of a mere human being, but an angel of Metal... Ronnie James Dio!

Can't argue with that. It was a pretty kick ass album. But an album that comes close to it, for me, in 2009 is Teitanblood's Seven Chalices. I usually don't like the Black Metal genre, but this album is an exception. It just has that fast paced, crushing sound that is really addicting, which makes it one of my favorite albums of 2009.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:08 am 

The only problem I have with these kinds of threads is that by the time the year is long gone, I find another album from that year that I absolutely love. Therefore, don't take this list too seriously as I'll probably be listening to a lot more from this year later on. (And fuck order, my tastes change day to day, so to say that one is better than another is silly.)

Beherit- Engram: "Because... I just fucking hate this world". Beherit's Engram really does embody this idea well, and this definitely was a surprise. I wasn't really too much of a Beherit before this album made its release, and now listening to everything they have put out I can firmly say this is by far their greatest material.

Gorgoroth- Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt: It seems like everyone was initially bored with album, as was I. However, I think that my initial boredom was due to the fact that I expected this album to be as accessible as their previous 2 albums. This album is a true "return to form" album, which means that like Pentagram or Antichrist, it takes more than one listen to really enjoy it. That being said, I love this CD. Sure, Pest doesn't sound like the beast he does on Under the Sign of Hell, and there are a bit of production problems, but I'm happy to see a creative output by Infernus.

Mastodon- Crack the Skye: People seem to love or hate this album, and I'm on the love side. This is also coming from someone who use to see Mastodon as just a mediocre band that would fade with time. However, Crack the Skye has definitely significantly changed my mind about that. To call this a metal album is hard, as there's times on this album where it feels more like a complete progressive rock album than metal. However, I love it for that reason. Mastodon isn't afraid to reach out of the metal genre, creating a very interesting sound. It's very interesting to see how this band has improved over the years, and I never thought they'd make this much of a change.

Nile- To Whom The Gods Detest: This is the output I've been severely waiting for from Nile for a very long time. Annihilation of the Wicked was good, but some songs just dragged on forever. Ithyphalic was a bit more accessible but there was less interesting things going on. On this album, Nile has finally reached a perfect balance between creativity and accessibility. The song structures are much more thought out and doesn't really loose me half way through the song. Furthermore, the usage of other instruments really bring the album to a whole new level. Like the singing on "Kafir!". Who'da fuckin' imagined that? This is definitely my current favorite Nile album if not my favorite.

1349- Revelations of the Black Flame: This is where I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me. While this album is no way shape or form the 1349 we have known all our lives, that doesn't make this album bad. It approaches not an expression of aggression, but an expression of darkness. That being said; yes, this album is a TON of ambiance. However, it's done really well. I don't really think it was a wise choice on 1349's part to make such a different sounding album so spontaneously, but they did it well and I appreciate their efforts.

Anaal Nathrakh- In the Constellation of the Black Widow: I was so fucking disappointed with Hell is Empty that my hopes for this album weren't so high. Hell is Empty was such a boring album that took too much of a safe route than going balls out. This album is Anaal Nathrakh going balls out. It's heavy, it's everything we've known Anaal Nathrakh for. However, it also does a great job compensating between aggression and expression. Some of the riffs on this album are simply beautiful and because they are played at full aggression, it just maxes the power of this album. Seriously an amazing piece of work.

Behemoth- Evangelion: Evangelion is probably Behemoths darkest release of their death metal era. I can't really say much about this album, other than it was what should have been the true successor of Demigod. It's Behemoth doing what they do best, but I feel that this album is to be taken as more of something illustrating "evil" than "high and mighty". It definitely is the next logical step for Behemoth, and I hope they keep a consistent stream of music being released.

Last edited by Unorthodox on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:24 am 

1. Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
I loved this on first play, but it didn't become one of my favorite death metal albums of all time until about the 20th time I played it. This is by far their best, mainly because of their new drummer (from Sleep Terror). The vocals are so goddamn brutal at times that my jaw just drops.

2. Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity
awesome album that's way better than War of Attrition, but of course not as good as some of their older stuff. But, I don't think it has any filler on it, besides the third song, "Hopeless Insurrection" (written by Sean, NOT John), which is probably the worst song they've ever released

3. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles
I'm not completely confident that this deserves this high of a spot, but this album is solid throughout and it's hard to point out any weaknesses.

4. Putrid Pile - House of Dementia
Probably my favorite by them... high energy brutal death metal by one dude

5. Abysmal Torment - Omnicide
Weird production, but almost as good as their debut full length

6. Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Agorapocalypse
Sometimes I love this, but sometimes I think it's just average... definitely great stuff but I like them less focused

7. Gorod - Process of a New Decline
I generally dislike tech/prog death metal, but these guys know how it's done

8. Megadeth - Endgame
Even though this is ranked in the middle of my favorites overall, Endgame is my third favorite album of 2009 in general. Sure there are some mediocre songs, but the good ones absolutely rip. Best album by them since RiP

9. Napalm Death - Time Waits for No Slave
Starts out awesome, then gets a little boring, then stays slightly above average

10. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
Finally Nile has good production thanks to Erik Rutan! If my burned copy is correct, I love Hittite Dung Incantation and Kem Khefa Kheshef the most. Surely better than Itchyphallus, but not as good as anything before

11. Destroyer 666 - Defiance
Better than I thought... my favorite song is the slower one, track 3

12. Vektor - Black Future
With more plays this should move higher in my list. It sounds like Exmortus mixed with Destruction.

13. Razor of Occam - Homage to Martyrs
This band came out of nowhere for me.... basically Destroyer 666 V2.0

14. Devourment - Unleash the Carnivore
hmm still not sure where to put it - not nearly as technically proficient as other albums in this list and not as good as Molesting the Decapitated, but better than the last one

15. Behemoth - Evangelion
After playing this album, I can't really remember anything about it, but can't say anything negative. If I remember correctly, my favorite song is Transmigrating Beyond Realms Ov Amenti.

16. Ingested - Surpassing the Boundaries of Human Suffering
I probably only like this because it sounds brutal as fuck on my sound system, but if the vocals were a little more guttural it'd be in my top five, most likely

17. Insidious Decrepancy - Extirpating Omniscient Certitiude
Again, better than I thought and definitely faster

18. Dawn of Azazel - Relentless
I practically found out about this album by accident. I never liked them before but this album has made a great impression on me. It sounds like a less technical mix of Meshuggah and Gojira, but not in a gay way.

19. Warbringer - Waking into Nightmares
I didn't care about this at first, but it grew on me.

20. Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow
Their worst, but still good. The vocals sound way too layered

Overall, 2009 has been great for metal and way better than 2008.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:09 am 

Okay, here goes:

1. Artillery - When Death Comes

I'm not much of a thrash fan, and this is not a traditional thrash album. The combination of an endless stream of mindblowing riffs, enhanced by the most perfect production and guitar tone I've heard (to my ears) with the 'younger, more European Bruce Dickinson' style vocalist is just... stunning. I have the edition with two bonus tracks, and to me the entire album is top notch. Yes, every track.

2. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom

If anyone tells you a band can't release their best material 20+ years into their career, I say bollocks. Rob Lowe has an immense voice, the guitars sound perfect and the songwriting is damn solid. I can't praise this record highly enough.

3. Napalm Death - Time Waits for No Slave

Grindfathers or grandfathers? Who cares how old they are or what they did or didn't invent when they can deliver an album that slams your jaw to ground and pummels it further into the dirt for an hour? 'On the Brink of Extinction' is an obsession of mine and the sort of song which is so damn heavy, you feel like the roof will cave in if you turn it up too loud. Filler? Eh, it's all damn solid.

4. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

It's Black Sabbath, 14 years after Forbidden! What more do you need to know? 'Bible Black' is my song of the year along with the aforementioned Napalm Death epic. Get well soon, Mr God.

5. Megadeth - Endgame

MegaDave finds yet another guitarist and pretends the last 18 years never happened. For once, a record that EXCEEDS the hype!

Live album of the year:

Judas Priest - A Touch of Evil: Live

I'm such a Priest fanboy that yes, I even rate this above Flight 666. Some of the greatest of all Priest tracks finally committed to a live record for the first time (or first time with Halford, as the case may be). Between the Hammer and the Anvil, Hellrider, Dissident F***ing Aggressor. What's not to love?

Honourable mentions:

Saxon - Into the Labyrinth

Death, taxes and a new Saxon album every two years. It's nice to know not all life's certainties are bad. As usual, more ground shaking heavy metal with all the benefits of modern production.

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles

Displays all the promise that the killer preview tracks hinted at. Unfortunately, it feels too short yet too repetitive at the same time. Album number two could be truly mindblowing.

Manowar - Thunder in the Sky EP

It's mostly pointless, it's hideously excessive, it's metal as hell and it could only be from Manowar. Who doesn't love TitS?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:05 am 

I think it could be The Chasm-Farseeing The Paranormal Abysm for me. Takes a few spins to fully appreciate, but it's a truly wonderous album. I don't believe i've heard anything like it before.

Portal-Swarth could be a very close second.

ShreddedHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:58 am 

2009 has been a pretty good year for metal in general. In my opinion these five albums stand out as absolute must-haves and potential future classics:

1. Rising Pain - The Essence of Decay

This band is listed as thrash metal on the archives. I think that is incorrect though, since it sounds more similar to Lamb of God and Shadows Fall than Metallica or Slayer. The correct genre specification would probably be thrash/groove/metalcore. But regardless of what it is, it definitely is brilliant stuff. Definitely the album of the year for me.

2. Revenge - Death Sentence

A speed metal album that sounds like it was released in 1984. I didn't even know they make stuff like this anymore. The vocalist has the most high pitched voice I've ever heard. Probably the best album ever on this small subgenre.

3. Bloodthirst - Sanctity Denied

This is some old school thrash similar to early Kreator, but they've incorporated more death metal influences since the last album. Very good stuff.

4. Graveyard - One with the Dead

Some excellent old school death metal in the early Swedish style by this Spanish band. Highly recommended for fans of early Entombed, Dismember and Carnage.

5. Here Comes the Kraken - Here Comes the Kraken

I thought it was impossible that I could ever like any deathcore, but here it is: the best deathcore album ever made and as a matter of fact, the only good deathcore album ever made.

pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:58 am 

ENKC wrote:
Okay, here goes:

I'm not much of a thrash fan, and this is not a traditional thrash album. The combination of an endless stream of mindblowing riffs, enhanced by the most perfect production and guitar tone I've heard (to my ears) with the 'younger, more European Bruce Dickinson' style vocalist is just... stunning. I have the edition with two bonus tracks, and to me the entire album is top notch. Yes, every track.

This has to be the most overrated album this year, along with the Heaven and Hell album. When Death Comes sounds like B-sides from the newest Onslaught album. This is just borderline annoying.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:06 am 

1. Immortal - All Shall Fall
2. Immortal - All Shall Fall
3. Immortal - All Shall Fall
4. Immortal - All Shall Fall
(5. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom)

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:17 am 

Don't just list, TheNiceNightmare.

2009 has been a very impressive year for metal, and is probably my 3rd or 4th favourite year of the decade, with many releases making it on to my top 50 metal albums of the decade list. This year's top 10 is also much more consistent than most years, with a very solid level of quality, as opposed to some years which may have a few excellent releases but a pretty steep drop-off after them.

10.) The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Ape Uprising: This is probably my least favourite Slough Feg record, yet I'd still rate it around the 80-85% mark which is definitely saying something. It's not as memorable as Down Among the Deadmen or Traveller, but is still an astonishing slice of modern heavy metal brilliance. It's a bit more doom orientated compared to previous efforts which is interesting, however it still retains that incredible energy Slough Feg's music possesses and that I fucking love. The epic title track is absolutely phenomenal.

9.) Deströyer 666 - Defiance: This is also my least favourite record from D666, but is still highly enjoyable, intense as fuck, and definitely worth the wait. Lots of people seem to be disappointed by it which I find strange because I certainly know I had no qualms when I picked it up. Sure, it's not quite as destructive as Cold Steel... For An Iron Age, but that doesn't matter because it still absolutely destroys, with just riff after riff after riff of black/death/thrash excellence.

8.) Ignivomous - Death Transmutation: As soon as I heard of Ignivomous' desire to procreate death metal in the vein of Immolation and Incantation, I knew I was going to love them. It's definitely a challenging record, and its overwhelmingly dense and complex nature may certainly discourage some, but it is definitely a rewarding effort and one of the best death metal records of the year.

7.) Immortal - All Shall Fall: This is definitely Immortal's best since At The Heart of Winter and a thunderous return to form. The guitar work is the highlight for me with Abbath churning out fuckloads of killer riffs and grooves as well as fantastic lead work. From the highly Bathory influenced "Hordes To War," to the epic album closer "Unearthly Kingdom," this album is a surprisingly impressive effort and overall, is just really, really solid.

6.) Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire: I initially hated this album and it took a good 6 months before it finally "clicked," but now let me tell you that I'm glad as hell it finally did because this album is unbelievable. At first the whole album felt like one huge blur, however after I started paying more and more attention to it, I began noticing various little things, such as the epic flurry of dissonant leadwork during the closing minutes of the title track. After that, everything just seemed to fall into place and I now regard it as one of the most innovative death metal records of the decade.

5.) Insomnium - Across The Dark: Being a huge Insomnium fan boy, I pretty much worship everything they have ever recorded and this is no exception. It's definitely not as good as Above The Weeping World, but is probably on par with their debut In the Halls of Awaiting, and is an absolutely stellar release. Everything flows so perfectly and with such grace, and overall is yet another superlative release from the best melodic death metal band in existence.

4.) Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow: It was going to be hard to top Hell is Empty, and All the Devils Are Here, but this certainly comes close. There are no real surprises here (although Dave's clean vocals sound even more exceptional), with Anaal Nathrakh delivering their chaotic, yet surprisingly melodic signature sonic bombardment which is accompanied by incredible song-writing and stunning musicianship.

3.) Lost Soul - Immerse In Infinity: This album was my introduction to Lost Soul and what an introduction. Lost Soul puts their neighboring death metal titans Vader and Behemoth to shame with this absolute beast of an album, which clocks in at just over 55 minutes in length. While some may find it a bit long-winded in length, I promise you that this is not to the album’s disadvantage because this is a damn near flawless slab of Polish Death Metal, with a level of technicality and razor-sharp precision that is absolutely mind-blowing.

2.) Count Raven - Mammons War: This was also an introductory album which blew me even further away with its incredible musicianship and infectiously catchy song-writing. While it certainly isn't the most original record as it's pretty much just sheer Ozzy-era Black Sabbath worship, there is definitely nothing wrong with that as Ozzy-era Black Sabbath is fucking brilliant.

1.) The Chasm - Farseeing The Paranormal Abysm: Unlike most of The Chasm's records, Farseeing The Paranormal Abysm almost clicked immediately for me. Why exactly, I have no idea, however one things for sure, and that is that this album absolutely destroys. In all its imposing grandeur, this album is absolutely monolithic, crushing anything that comes across its path with its mighty song-writing and brilliant execution. It is truly an other-worldly listening experience which is almost completely unparalleled.

Agalloch's The Silence of Forgotten Landscapes, Iron Maiden's Flight 666 and Emperor's Live Inferno also deserve a mention as they are all fantastic DVDs with both excellent live footage and interviews/bonus footage etc.

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:01 am 

Alphabetical Order rather than In order of most favourite:

Behemoth- Evangelion

I'm going to be honest and say that 'The Apostasy' has been my favourite album from Behemoth, even though it lacked in the production area most times, I feel the songs on there are pretty strong. This album straight away sounds pristine in the production area and starts off very strong following The Apostasy. A great album all the way through, my only nagging issue is that it's too short for my liking.

Belphegor- Walpurgis Rites-Hexenwahn

Some people might not agree but I think this is a pretty good album. There are some re-hashed riffs in this album, but that aside I still felt it had some great songs to offer.

Cannibal Corpse- Evisceration Plague

Again another one where people wouldn't agree but I felt this was a very strong record. I've always felt that Cannibal Corpse started out a a band that progressed with each record up until Chris Barnes left (and thats not because he left, but rather the music progressed with each album). The albums with George (even though I think he's a great vocalist) always seemed pretty stale and mundane compared to the 1st 4 albums. Yet with this album they seemed to be on a rise again. Great memorable songs, and hopefully they will top this album with their next effort.

Immortal- All Shall Fall

I bought this album on an impulse, having no previous Immortal album's in my collection. And man was I thrilled. Great album from start to finish, great catchy songs with alot of atmosphere. I shall definitely be going back and buying the rest of their back cataloge.

Marduk-Wormwood

I think with this album Marduk somewhat experimented a little with a couple new ideas, and I think it pulled off. Great catchy songs, great vocals from Mortuus once again, an all round great album.

Mastodon- Crack The Skye

I started getting into Mastodon properly around the time this album came out. I loved 'Blood Mountain' alot so I was weary this couldn't match it. As people said it boardlines a prog rock album but it is an amazing album none the less. Extremely catchy songs, outstanding riffs, great vocals.

Nile- Those Whom The Gods Detest

Just only listened to this album for the first time yesterday, but I was loving it from the first song. Nile are one of my favourite bands, and I've loved all their albums and this album sounds like a great blend of ''Annihilation Of The Wicked' and 'Ithyphallic'. I did however hear a few similar riffs to 'Ithyphallic' floating around a few songs on 'Those Whom The Gods Detest' but the album as a whole made up for that.

Shining- VI- Klagospalmer

Again I've only recently started listening to this band, and was blown away by how good this album is. Dropping the emo lyric subjects away, the music on this album is outstanding. Great use of atmosphere within the songs, and alot of great catchy riffs. I don't care for this whole depressive/suicidal lyric themes but focusing on just the music, it's a fantastic album.

Albums I still need to listen to which maybe added to list shortly:

Anaal Nathrakh- In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
Hypocrisy- A Taste Of Extreme Divinity
Gorgoroth- QPaST
Funeral Mist- Maranatha

okram_09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:29 am 

1. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 am 

Hmm I should have a look to this The Lord Weird Slough Feg, lost soul and Ignivomous.
I still doubt if insomnium is for me. It seems to melodic, but then again I'm completely awed by a release like 'signs for the fallen' by suidakra.

1. Animal Collective - Merriweather post pavilion
Completely unique, listen to this alone in a tiny room with only one (blindfolded) window. Make sure the volume is there and forget everything you ever learned. It's perfect cause it unfolds humanity and the imperfections of it's emotions.

2.Church of Misery - houses of the unholy
After this release acts like Electric Wizard & Harvey Milk seem completely futile. While it's not only doom, it has a rock & roll degree that blows acdc and mötorhead to smithereens.

3.Alice in Chains - Black Gives way to blue
A real refreshment after all the pointless black and death metal releases this year. Doom grunge with excellent songwriting.

4.Eggs & Dogs - You are
An album with so much twists and inside view, that half an
hour is like a full hour.

5.The Chasm - Farseeing the paranormal abysm
The Chasm never fails to deliver, although it's getting pretty lonely at the top.

6.Nazxul - Iconoclast
Maybe one of the best things that happened to sympho black since In the nightside eclipse.

7.Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
Melodic Noise! An addictive new dimension!

8.Transatlantic - the whirlwind
Harder to get into this time, but still a very satisfying release.
Neal Morse and Portnoy seem better than in their own bands.

9.Heaven and hell - The devil you know
I second Goatfangs, the angel of metal!

10.Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
The lyrics are so badass! (as usual), The way Robert Lowe sings them! 'If I ever dieeeee! The gods will mourn me and cry!', The bleeeding baroness!', 'The hammer of DOOOOM' and off course the bonus: Lucifer, Lucifer, Lucifer Rising!', how can you not rejoice and be happy to alive with this album!

11.Jonsi & Alex - riceboy sleeps
Ambient Valhalla! It's like watching a movie through your stereo.

12.Bibio - Ambivalence avenue
A warp gem, making some noise cuts and bleeps floating between Boards of Canada and Progrock (yes?) at times.

Honourful mentions:
Non-metal : The bony king of nowhere, isbells, the low anthem, anti-pop consortium, david sylvian, dez mona, grizzly bear, health, torre florim en roos rebergen, naomi shelton and the gospel queens, the world is shaking VA, 5 years of hyperdub VA, The warp rereleases and their VA albums celebrating 20th birthday.

Metal: Profanatica, Beherit, Mastodon, Thesyre, Asphyx, Tribulation, Suffocation, warbringer.

I still need to find more about the classical releases this year, but the ones already presented to me were total junk.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:40 am 

Here's mine:

1. For Lies I Sire-My Dying Bride
Many people hate this with passion. I think it's one of their best, the songs are far more interesting that the previous album and much more heartfelt. My Dying Bride in it's purest form.

2. The Ichthyologist-Giant Squid
Doing better than Metridium Fields was a task in itself, but they just did. That cello is a masterpiece and songs like Panthalassa and Sevengill are some of the finest music I've heard this year.

3. Monoliths and Dimensions-Sunn O)))
The one drone album that doesn't sound like the other drone albums. And I love drone.

4. In the Constellation of the Black Widow-Anaal Nathrakh
I haven't heard the whole discography, but this one... wow. So vicious and hateful, and Hunt's finest vocal performance. Pretty damn powerful, energetic and tormented.

5. Blue Record-Baroness
Deemed by many as a Mastodon copycat. It's just that Baroness does it a million times better. The band makes a brand of psychedelic(?) sludge thing that just gets better with every second. All the members display a level of musicianship that is to be envied, especially the drummer with plays exactly what the song calls for, it's a very subtle display of talents that doesn't get in the way for a second. One thing that I enjoy a lot about these guys is that the artwork reflects exactly where the music is going, and the artwork is so bold and delicate, like a princess with a shotgun. It's amazing.

6. Crack the Skye-Mastodon
Finally an album that meets the hype of the band. Mastodon was absolute crap, everything they did was just terrible, with only a few exceptions on Blood Mountain. This album is where everything clicked, and when they stopped using those god awful harsh vocals.

7.Winterhours-Tombs
Mind-bending album that hops in and out of genres with incredible ease. It's like a black metal meets sludge meets shoegaze. Anyone that hasn't heard it (very few I assume) should get their hands on a copy, or check out "Beneath the Toxic Jungle" and be thrilled.

8. Time Waits for No Slave-Napalm Death
Fallacy Dominion. 'Nuff said.

9. Sing Along Songs For the Damned and Delirious-Diablo Swing Orchestra
DSO are like a guy that's good with women, a casanova if you will. It's charming, intelligent, has a sense of humor and is good for dancing. Then he will pick you up and take good care of you (wink) for about 50 mins. and leave you dearly pleased.

10. Endgame-Megadeth
It's Rust in Peace all over again, but nearly 2 decades later, and demonstrating that thrash metal still lives and that Megadeth is king.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:47 am 

1. Yggdrasil - Vedergällning

I've waited very long for this album to be released, and it was even delayed for three months. But the album was worth it: it continues in the line of its predecessor: Epic/atmospheric folk metal, with some really great melodies (Vedergällning), a nice variety of vocals,... A deserved first place!

2. Epica - Design Your Universe

The best Epica album? The grunts are way better than on the previous albums, the album is heavier than the other Epica albums and has great songs as "Martyr of the Free World" and "Kingdom of Heaven".

3. Týr - By the Light of the Northern Star

This album is more exciting, more vivid and powerful than some of their previous releases. The combination of traditional songs and Viking metal is a winning one.

4. Alestorm - Black Sails at Midnight

Catchy melodies, better riffing, better keyboards, and the atmosphere of the lyrics comes to life, which didn't happen that often on their debut.

Windfaerer - Glorybound

This demo only has two tracks, so it's hard to place it in a list. It's a very decent album: good melodies, good production and sound and it got me wanting more of Windfaerer's music.

Decent albums:
Hammerfall - No Sacrifice, No Victory (not bad, but they've had way better)
Ex Deo - Romulus (good epic death metal, with Roman themes)
Angeli Di Pietra - Storm over Scaldis (decent debut, but there isn't a wow-effect)

I'm waiting to hear:
Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
Immortal - All Shall Fall
Megadeth - Endgame

All in all, 2009 wasn't that bad, but it could have been better.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 am 

This has been my year of discovering old-school death metal and things other than metal, so I've been slacking on checking out recent metal albums. I know there's a lot of stuff that should be here but isn't (that goes for most people's lists, of course, but it's doubly true for mine).

The amazing stuff:

1. Cain's Offering - Gather the Faithful

Best metal supergroup ever, and proving there's still some life left in European power metal. Catchy, energetic and full of surprising and extremely well-written twists and turns, it turns out Jani Liimatainen should have been allowed to write a lot more for Sonata Arctica. I'm a huge fan of both that band and Stratovarius and I still say this is better than anything by both.

2. Chimaira - The Infection

More focused on straight-up groove metal and breakdowns than their past efforts, which works wonders for the group. Heavy as shit and evokes an awesomely bleak and cold atmosphere. By far their best album and the biggest surprise of the year for me.

3. Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue

Funny so few have mentioned it here, not considered metal enough maybe? One of the best comeback albums ever, it delivers the goods as hard as anything they've done. Terrific chilling mood, cool riffs and of course ace vocal harmonies.

The merely good stuff:

4. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

Solid fucking doom riffs, Tony Iommi is still to be counted on. RJD still crushes all. Eh, not much to say, who doesn't like this one?

5. Neaera - Omnicide - Creation Unleashed

A considerable step down from Armamentarium, but a pretty good melodic death/straight-up death mixture regardless. Very cool epic tremolo riffs and awesome screamed vocals that put Tomas Lindberg to shame, but on the other hand a bit too much hardcore influence to fit their style and a crappy muddled guitar tone (lack of Jacob Hansen production really shows). Very nice to see them evolve so much from their dime-a-dozen metalcore beginnings, regardless (even though their early albums are good too for what they are).

6. Stratovarius - Polaris

A bit overhyped because it's so much better than their s/t; when not seen from that perspective, it's merely a very good power metal album that suffers a bit from inconsistency and a lack of focus. Four guys wrote the songs as opposed to just Timo Tolkii like in the past, which shows in that some members turn out better songwriters than others (Jens' songs are the best, I say). Unfortunately, only "Winter Skies" can compete with the best stuff Tolkii wrote in Stratovarius' golden years (his songwriting is shit nowadays unfortunately).

7. Saxon - Into The Labyrinth

I'll have to rewrite my Saxon reviews at some point, seeing as I'm way too harsh on them; all their stuff since Unleash the Beast has been at least cool and all of them have their share of total killer, at times downright CLASSIC songs (Lionheart, Terminal Velocity, Deeds of Glory to mention a few songs every fan of heavy metal should hear). But yeah, consistency is an issue with all of them, and this one amplifies the typical Saxon problem of turning too damn rockish for their own good. Just look at the song titles, first "Battalions of Steel" and then "Live to Rock" - the difference in sound is just as evident too.

8. Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity

I'm pretty new to this band and so can't say how it compares to War of Attrition, but for my money it's another cool Dying Fetus release, not much else to say. Enjoyable breakdowns as always and on the same level as Destroy the Opposition to me.

9. Megadeth - Endgame

Empyreal completely nailed my opinion of it in his review: it's a collection of solid heavy metal songs, but the album as whole lacks identity and therefore it ends up being kind of unmemorable. Nice solos, though, and the reduction of Dave-styled political rants is highly welcome.

10. Artillery - When Death Comes

Pretty cool comeback, but its strengths mostly lie in the rock solid production and vocals rather than actual riffs and songwriting. Very solid first few listens, but wears on you somewhat. Doesn't compare to Artillery's old stuff, but fun and listenable, kind of like Artillery's answer to Death Magnetic.

Last edited by Bloodstone on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:02 am 

Bloodstone wrote:

Funny I'm the first to mention it here

Not really.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:06 am 

Nochielo wrote:
Bloodstone wrote:

Funny I'm the first to mention it here

Not really.

Yeah, my mistake. Post edited.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:55 am 

Bloodstone, I think the new Stratovarius is better than the new Cain's Offering now, in contrary to my reviews. I really overplayed CO and now I don't like it quiiiite as much.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:31 am 

Urgh, I've listened to crap all from 2009, so I think I'll go with a top eight instead of the usual 10. Not everything I've listened to is on here (obviously), and if it isn't it just wasn't good enough to make the list. 2009 was a year of average shit, apart from these albums. Candlemass only just made it (I like it, but it does get a bit dull. Hammer of Doom makes up for that though), but nonetheless this is a pretty good indication of what rocked my world this year. Dig it, yo.

8) Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
It's Candlemass (with Rob Lowe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), so it rules, but it's not as good as King of the Grey Islands or Epicus. It's a great album, but if I want Candlemass, I'll listen to the aforementioned albums (or the Tales of Creation demo, even better!) and if I want 2009 I'll listen to one of the albums below.

7) Beherit - Engram
What can I say? This album is just plain solid. Great riffs, great vocals, great atmosphere. It kicks anus and then some. There's not much to say about the album really, it's a pretty simple effort, but it's pretty much the epitome of "simple but effective".

6) Wodensthrone - Loss
This album left me very pleased. Perhaps slightly too long at times, but overall everything works together well. At first I found the production a bit flat, but once I upped the volume on my speakers it turned out a lot better. This is one of those albums that just works. The slight folk/pagan elements, the soaring keys, the excellent black metal riffs and the shrieked vocals all come together to make an album that was a pleasant surprise for me.

5) Defamer - Chasm
Somewhere between Portal and Carcass, a VERY impressive debut which is yet another sign that Brisbane is the future of metal in Australia. Complex, heavy, dark and crushing, I don't think there's anything else I'd want from a modern death metal album. Top production, a perfect length and excellent performances from all the band members. More please.

4) Portal - Swarth
With my raging fanboy boner for Portal, this should be higher. But to be perfectly honest, Outre' just outdoes it in everyway that I can't help but feel disappointed. It's more accessible, so I dare say it'd be appearing on a lot of lists, but it just didn't really click with me. Still, it's Portal, so Swarth still induces erections.

3) Skitliv - Skandinavisk Misantropi
Kvarforth's increasing douchiness, the infamous man kiss, the seemingly constant delays and a general disillusionment with the band left me feeling like this album would disappoint. I didn't like the songs they posted on Gayspace, but on the album they were a lot better. The production is awesome for this album. The songwriting is varied yet consistently excellent and the atmosphere makes me want to go and become a meth junkie. Doesn't get much better than that.

2) Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
Others have covered this far better than I ever could. Iommi still has riffs falling out of his lordly arsehole and Ronnie can still sing better than 99% of people in the business. Every song is doing something to make my life more AWESOME, this is fact. I love this album, if you don't you suck.

1) Mournful Congregation - The June Frost
Monumental year for these guys (local too). First concert (which I attended, and become one of the first to buy the album!), and this. THIS. Oh lord, I love this band. THIS is how you do funeral doom metal. EVERY other funeral doom band SUCKS compared to these guys, my liberal use of capital letters shows that. This is one of those albums that is near perfect. The Monad of Creation still tops the band's achievements, but this isn't far off. Suicide Choir was AMAZING live, and though you can't really live up to that standard on the album, it's still fucking brilliant nonetheless. No song is out of place, everything fulfills it's purpose and every sombre riff is so chock full of atmosphere and brilliance that it's hard not to become completely enthralled. Thank you to the band for producing this masterpiece, and thank you to the OP for giving me a reason to revisit the album and be reminded how fucking amazingly brilliantly excellently AWESOME this album, and this band is. Best of the year, no doubt about it.

Edited for retardation.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:41 am 

As I predicted, 2009 was a great year in metal. Here is the after math.

What I own:
Time Waits For No Slave - Napalm Death
The Grindcore grandmasters just get stronger with age. It starts out with a wall of sound called "Strongarm" and ends with another one called "De-Evolution Ad Nauseum". The only two songs I didn't like were "Life and Limb" and "Procrastination of the Empty Vessel".

Black Cascade - Wolves in the Throne Room
This was my initial introduction to the band in the first place. Four songs no less than ten minutes long. The beautiful melodies, sorrowful lyrics, and the added sound of rainfall at the beginning of "Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog" (my personal favorite from the album) wraps up in excellence.

Crack the Skye - Mastodon
Only seven songs compared to their longer predecessors, but one of them is an ten minute epic ("The Czar") and a magician worthy thirteen minute epic ("The Last Baron"). Mastodon has achieved their most progressive sound in their career. Though some people criticize their clean vocals and melodic solos, it works out in the end.

What I know well of or plan on purchasing:

All Shall Fall - Immortal
THE best Norwegian black metal band out there. Songs like "The Rise of Darkness", "Hordes to War", and "Mount North" really hooked me.

Evangelion - Behemoth
As said by someone above, this is Behemoth's darkest album. From what I heard so far, "Daimonos" has the most ferocious drums since the Demigod album, and "Ov Fire and the Void" is definitely the darkest Behemoth song overall (except maybe "Lucifer").

Hordes of Chaos - Kreator
More ferocious than Enemy of God. All that needs to be said is, if you don't like this album, you'd have to admit. The title track is killer.

What I still need to check out:
Defiance - Destroyer 666
Polaris - Stratovarius
The Days of Grace - Sonata Arctica
Those Whom the Gods Detest - Nile
Monoliths and Dimnsions - Sun O)))
Death Magic Doom - Candlemass

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:43 am 

1) Obscura - Cosmogenesis
As much flak as this release catches for 'not being heavy enough' or having 'weak vocals', I find that this is without a doubt my favorite release of the year. The melodies are catchy, the instrumentation is spectacular, and, contrary to popular belief, it's an altogether crushing album.

2) Baroness - Blue Record
This album caught me by surprise. I liked the first release, but I didn't love it. I love this one. Songs like A Horse Called Golgotha and Jake Leg show a potential for evolution in the metal genre that is not often revealed. Great vocals as well.

3) Gorod - Process Of A New Decline
Programmers Of Decline. 'Nuff said.

AWESOME BRUTAL DEATH METAL
CHECK IT OUT

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Evangelion - Behemoth
As said by someone above, this is Behemoth's darkest album. From what I heard so far, "Daimonos" has the most ferocious drums since the Demigod album, and "Ov Fire and the Void" is definitely the darkest Behemoth song overall (except maybe "Lucifer").

:nono:

Have you even heard Pandemonic Incantations? Silly chap!

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:47 am 

2009 has been a funny year, music-wise. Most of my absolute favourite releases this year have been non-metal, while as a whole, the amount of "very good" metal albums that I'd rate from the low 80s to the high 80s have been overwhelming. That said, I really haven't paid that much attention to this year's albums actively (as in, I've been checking out stuff regardless of their release dates), so I might be missing on some gems here and there. Anyway, here's a few metal picks:

1. Denial (Mex) - Catacombs of the Grotesque
This album is just simply destructive. Nothing totally new, but still offers some damn well executed, heavy death metal. It's dark, slightly disturbing and just headbangable in places. Works.

2. Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams
Yet another death metal album. This one's kind of old school-y, morbid, filthy yet well executed and nicely produced. As heavy and brooding as it is, listening to this album never feels like a chore in the slightest. Fuck yes.

3. Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to the Blue
This one surprised me. I hadn't been into AiC for that long, but still appreciated them, around when this one got released. A bit skeptical I digged in, and damn...definitely lives up to the hype.

4. Celesty - Vendetta
This one has been an odd power metal album for me. It's one of those albums that initially strike as fucking classic stuff, but wear off after a few weeks of excessive playing. Well, I kind of got back into the album after a while of not listening to it - and in what fashion? Well, some of the hooks were subconsciously haunting me and some of the songs were ringing in my head (eg. Autumn Leaves). All in all, an excellent power metal release. I do feel that the production is kind of dull at places, and that there are a few moments wherein the album drags just a bit, but overall I'd still rate it in the high 80s or so.

5. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Yup, doomed once again, indeed. No surprises here - I was anticipating a quality album, and that's what I got. I'm not sure if this album manages to surpass the previous one, King of the Grey Islands, but it's still damn good. Hammer of Dooooom.

6. Cain's Offering - Gather the Faithful
I knew what to expect of this album right from the get-go, but it still delivered. Hearing this album after a rough day never fails to put a gentle smile on my face. Very solid, very enjoyable.

7. Infernal War - Conflagrator
Barely 20 minutes or so in length, this EP is relentlessly brutal, straightforward and destructive blackened death. It's got the modern production values - and as plastic-y as the snare drum sound feels at times - it fucking works with music like this. Some nice soloing and a few mid-paced parts thrown in among the destruction as well, which results in a very satisfying, brutal snack. I would headbang to this if it weren't so fast!

8. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
It should be self-explanatory as to why this album kicks ass.

Mmmh yeah, that's all I can think of for now when it comes to the releases I feel like writing something about. Seems like I really need to hear the new Anaal Nathrakh though. Oh and yeah, I really seem not to get into the new Hypocrisy to the extent most people in here do... It's solid, alright, but not album of the year material.

DoomDoll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:01 am 

The Gates of Slumber - Hymns of Blood and Thunder
Spiritus Mortis - The God Behind the God
Crucifist - Demon Haunted World
Funeral Circle - Sinister Sacrilege

netniwk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:04 am 

crtl+f"Peste Noire"
0 results
:scratch:

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:19 am 

pyroleprechaun wrote:
ENKC wrote:
Okay, here goes:

This has to be the most overrated album this year, along with the Heaven and Hell album. When Death Comes sounds like B-sides from the newest Onslaught album. This is just borderline annoying.

See, there are these things called opinions. I make no apologies for enjoying something, nor for expressing that enjoyment. Feel free to be as annoyed as you like.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:24 am 

This has been one of the strongest years for the genre in quite some time. Not only has there been so many new releases from major artists but many of them have actually been good. 2010 is so far looking far weaker in terms of quality releases. Here's my Top 10 for 2009:

1. Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue: Not just the best album of this year but quite possibly the best reunion album of the decade. AIC are one of my favourite bands and I, like many others, was cautiously optimistic when I heard they were going to make a new album after their successful reunion shows. I'm amazed by how good this is. It has everything I want from an AIC album. Just superb.

2. Mastodon - Crack The Skye: The best band of this decade releases arguably their best album to date. I can't decide if I like this more than Blood Mountain but for now, I'll go with CTS.

3. Megadeth - Endgame: Like just about everyone else, I think is this is the band's best album since Rust In Peace. It seems as though Dave Mustaine has finally figured out how to make truly great music again. He's been gradually building up to it throughout the decade and now he's finally done it. I believe the band has now won back the credibility that they lost with the Risk debacle.

4. Slayer - World Painted Blood: Another veteran thrash band releases their best album in a long ass time. I know people give this shit about how it sounds but the quality of the riffs more than makes up for it.

5. Behemoth - Evangelion: The best extreme metal band around today IMO. They have been very consistent throughout this decade and I'd say this album is on par with Demigod (my favourite Behemoth album).

6. Immortal - All Shall Fall: A 7 year absence shows that these guys still have it. It's not as good as as the brilliant Sons Of Northern Darkness but it's certainly much better than most reunion albums tend to be.

7. Baroness - Blue Record: I enjoyed their debut album from 2 years ago but this one is a pretty big step up from that one. Great riffs, great production and great artwork. These guys look like becoming as big for Relapse as Mastodon were for them 5 years ago.

8. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know: For all intents and purposes, this is the first new Sabbath album in almost 15 years and it shows that Iommi and co can still deliver high quality metal. Let's hope Dio recovers to work on a follow-up effort.

9. Dying Fetus - Descend Into Depravity: An excellent combination of crushing riffs and technical ability. This is sure to cause serious neck damage with repeated listens.

10. Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God: An interesting blend of Slayer-type thrash and death metal.

Other albums that miss my Top 10 but I found enjoyable nonetheless:

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
Lamb Of God - Wrath
Suffocation - Blood Oath

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:43 am 

Teitanblood's Seven Chalices is without question my favorite album released this year, but it's also one of the only ones I've heard. The groovy, almost bouncy opening riff of Whore Mass causes me to fucking lose my mind every time I hear it and really sets the tone for an amazing album. The production is classic South American cult-style, the interludes are beautifully dark and somewhat Lovecraft-ish, and the riffs are just not to be fucked with. I don't listen to it very often because the atmosphere is so special I only want to hear it when I can be completely alone in the dark with it.

almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:46 am 

1) Sunn O)))- Monoliths and Dimensions
It should be said that I hardly think it's this masterpiece that everyone else seems to think of it as, and I was little disappointed by it, but it is a great album. It's nice to see them exploring new territories. I just think Atilla's becoming too prominent in Sunn O))), and now they're going to be expected to branch out into drastic new territories for each album.

2) Mournful Congregation- The June Frost
This one's incredible. I'd go as far as saying it's a funeral doom magnum opus. It just perfectly encapsulated what both the band and genre are all about. Besides, you know it's going to be an epic album with an 3-minute long intro.

3) My Dying Bride- For Lies I Sire
Yep. More doom. While this wasn't their strongest album, it was certainly a lot better than some of their previous albums. It was also fairly original, as well, since a lot of A Line of Deathless Kings seemed like MDB-by-numbers. The whole deluxe guitarist boxed-set they done was amazing, too.

4) Wolves In The Throne Room- Black Cascade
I've said in previous posts that it took me a long time to finally get into black metal. This was one of the factors that helped it click for me. I really liked this. The packaging is beautiful, the production is among the best I've ever heard, and it combines harsh passages and lovely, warm ambient passages together masterfully.

5) Xasthur- All Reflections Drained
Fuck you, I liked it :p. It's fairly standard Xasthur, if a little watered down, but there was something in the atmosphere of this one that made it stand out, for me. It's a lot more depressing and brooding than his other work. Which, believe me, takes some doing.

Other picks include: Khanate's Clean Hands Go Foul (if it wasn't for that damn closing track, it'd be perfect) and Nadja's When I See The Sun Shine...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 pm 

1. Herman Frank - Loyal to None
This is glory personified. A slice of sizzling, crackling, burning metal power unlike anything else this year. Herman Frank is composed of veterans from many spectrums of the heavy/power metal universe, and they've crafted an album of the year that is endlessly replayable, catchy, fist-pumping gold. If you don't like this, I just don't know what to tell you.

2. Anubis Gate - The Detached
Perfect, shining prog with songwriting so good it's scary. This is an album that takes a while to grow on you, but when it does, you'll have a hard time pressing the 'pause' button. An album that any metal fan should hear, no matter your preference in subgenres.

3. Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
Power Metal songwriting this good hasn't been heard since...well, since Pharaoh's album last year, but I digress. Tabula Rasa is tight, catchy, melodic and inventive, propelling a sound that we haven't heard yet and delivering subtly powerful performances on every instrumental front. I love the spacey atmosphere this has, and I love Urban Breed's powerful, charismatic voice. This might not seem like much at first spin, but it really is something special that every metalhead should try out for something a little different.

4. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
Others have already covered this one, but yeah, it fucking rocks out. One of the heaviest albums of the year and one of the most fun. Fifty-odd minutes of pounding riffs and Dio's expertly metallic grunting make for one of my favorite workout albums and just a really triumphant return in general. Stellar.

6. Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams
This one and The Chasm are about tied, but yeah, this is great Death Metal. There's just nothing compromising about it - it is a classic Death Metal album with just really great songs. Thrashy riffing and doomy excess make this a lot of fun to listen to, with the compact running time allowing for a lot of replays.

7. The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
My recent review should explain this one.

8. Mystic Prophecy - Fireangel
Crushing, vicious Heavy Metal that puts even most black and death metal to shame with its uncompromising riffing and mad-cap speed. This album is violent in nature, and a lot darker than anything the band put out before - and a lot better. This album has catapulted Mystic Prophecy straight to the first rank of Heavy Metal bands, and I can't wait to see what they do next. Strong songwriting and powerful riffs make this too good to be true.

9. Slough Feg - Ape Uprising!
My favorite band did not deliver another masterwork this year, but they did deliver this slab of filthy, fun heavy metal that both pays tribute to the greats of the past and crafts new horizons for the future. This album is a bit too short, but it's filled to the brim with catchy songs and riffs as fun as anything they've done in the past. Essential.

10. Vader - Necropolis
This album is a little more mature than most Vader, with the conceptual ties making it sound more sober and a little less violent, but not too much. This is still a lean, mean Death Metal machine with claws and fangs that I dig the fuck out of. The hooky riffs and Peter's distinctive bark make Vader their own little sub-genre, as they sound nothing like any other Death Metal band. Get this one.

11. Stratovarius - Polaris
This has grown on me a lot since my review was posted, and I really like it a lot more now. It's a very somber work by a band with something to prove, and they intend to go 110% on that note. The more traditional songs are their best in a decade, and the progressive ballads at the end mark the signs of a band that has reached a new peak of sobriety and maturity. This album is both accessible, with hooks to draw you in, and progressive, revealing new things over time. Check it out.

12. Wolf - Ravenous
This album doesn't really offer anything new, and it's not quite as good as The Black Flame, but fuck, it's just so much fun. Catchy Iron Maiden/Judas Priest worship with Wolf's professional twist and inimitable style layered over it like icing on the cake. A collection of songs that is endlessly enjoyable and fun as hell.

DISAPPOINTMENTS

Queensryche - American Soldier
The nadir of human creation. This is pretty much the worst thing ever, and if you ever see it in a record store, destroy it immediately.

Mastodon - Crack the Skye
This is my real disappointment of the year, as I was looking forward to it big time. It sucks. It's a big pile of shit with annoying vocals, annoying instrumental work and a lack of anything pleasant or good at all. Progressive my ass, this is fucking horrible.

Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
This is embarrassing, weak and not really memorable. Pass.

Cage - Science of Annihilation
Awful cheese metal without any substance to it at all.

Crystal Viper - Metal Nation
Not bad, but not near as good as I expected, either. Maybe next time.

Revolution Renaissance - Age of Aquarius
Not really a disappointment, but it's pretty damn sucky nonetheless. Same for Savage Circus' new album.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:41 pm 

1) Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
I love everything about this album. The depressing atmosphere yet melodic riffs that get caught in your head, and the lyrics are great too.

2) The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm / Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams
Hard for me to chose which is the better death metal release. Both vocalists are excellent. Funebrarum has thicker sounding production but The Chasm creates some truly epic riffs. Listen to 'em both.

3) Ocean Chief - Den Forste
This is how I like my doom, very slow with harsh vocals in the distance. The synthesizer in the background also gives off a somewhat psychedelic sound.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:31 pm 

Did everyone forgot about Tribulation's The Horror? I saw one honorable mention but maybe since it came out really early in the year it was overlooked.

I'll have to think on this one, but Tribulation would definitely make my list.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:56 pm 

oh yes... how unexpected that those big old legends are here again... Vader, Slayer, Immortal etc. I think they must have prepaid their place in top10 here minimally for 2 decades. Boredom!

Vengeful - The Omnipresent Curse
Very well executed death metal, Luc Lemay in one song as a guest.
nothing new really, anyway very addicitive album for me.

Madder Mortem - The eight ways
After not so good Desiderata surprisingly great album, Agnete in superb form.

Acrimonious - Purulence
I was not fan of their previous EPs so this was quite a good surprise, in my view quite a progression from this band. Not perfect nor original but after all those crappy black metal attempts I heard this year, is this album gaining higher cost to me.

The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
Dont know this band very well but sounds good, almost like some epic death metal.

Avicularia - Born to Be Vile
Death metal with its own face. Not very pleasant at first listen but later I found it very good.

Injury to Eye - Path Pathology Pathos
Yeah!

Conflict - Prototip
This album somehow loses its power in the end IMO but overally it is nice industrial death metal. Somebody will definitely mind russian language and many other things but I have no problem with it, form me it works very well.

PrinceofEmptiness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:01 pm 

1. Crack the Skye (Mastodon) - Easily the best thing that Mastodon has done up until this point. They have put out a lot of awesome songs in their time, but never have come close to making an album so complete. Just all around awesome, and one of my favorite albums of all time.

2. Monoliths and Dimensions (Sunn 0))) - Very dark and brooding. I've heard someone describe it as the soundtrack to hell, and I can pretty much agree with that. Attila Csihar vocals are amazing on this and add so much to the album.

3. Unleash the Carnivore (Devourment) - Devourment actually has a pretty clean sounding record and this is easily their best produced album. I don't like it as much as Molesting the Decapitated but I think that it is a step up from Butcher the Weak.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:13 pm 

pyroleprechaun wrote:
ENKC wrote:
Okay, here goes:

I wouldn't consider those 2 overrated by any standards. I think the praise they get is the praise they deserve.

1.) Kreator - Hordes of Chaos

I really liked "Enemy of God" and "Hordes of Chaos" is just a sequel. In a way I wish they would revert to the "Br00tal" style exemplified on "Pleasure to Kill", but I also hope they stay with the melodic style elemental to this album.
7.5/10

2.) Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague

This is one of Cannibal Corpse's more tone-concentrated albums and they do it justice (Somewhat similar to "Kill"). Good utilization of the Mesa-Boogies. I admit that Fisher's high-pitched scream is a little rusty this time around, maybe that was something intentional. Anybody know? I'm still waiting for Fisher to (attempt to) match Barnes in vocals, though. I'm sure he could do it.
9/10

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Bloodstone, I think the new Stratovarius is better than the new Cain's Offering now, in contrary to my reviews. I really overplayed CO and now I don't like it quiiiite as much.

To me, Forever Is Today, Higher We Go and When Mountains Fall are a weak clone of Tolkii's formula, while the Emancipation Suite duo and Falling Star strike me as flat and lifeless. Also, while King of Nothing is cool musically, the vocals sound completely wrong, as if Kotipelto recorded them for another song or something. The other two Jens-penned songs, Blind and Winter Skies, are excellent, though, and Deep Unknown and Somehow Precious are cool as well. Overall, inconsistent but shows promise.

Cain's Offering is just all kinds of excellent the whole time, and my feelings about it are pretty much exactly the ones you described about the new Stratovarius in this thread: catchy and good at first, but then I started liking it more and more, picking up on its little beautifully done details with time. "Morpheus in a Masquerade" is a stunning display of sheer songwriting power, amazing how well it flows and holds your attention considering how many different parts it has. Only complaints would be the occasional lyrics like "make love to me until I bleed" and of course the last song completely ripping off Tell It To My Heart.

EDIT: oh and your list reminds me I have to check out Anubis Gate one of these days. I love Jacob Hansen's production work with other bands, wouldn't surprise me if he could come up with some good songs too.

RedAnkh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:02 pm 

The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite

Never heard anything like it. An 80-minute album that never gets boring, because it's so well written and full of interesting moments. And I personally think it doesn't get enough attention.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next