Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
valhom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:15 pm 

I am just wondering what people think of this question.

Thank you!

- Valhom (Cody)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:18 pm 

I want them to continue playing after they are dead.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:25 pm 

I want to go back in time and talk Euronymous into poisoning Ihsahn with lead.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 pm 

I actually wsh they stopped playing before Equilbrium; the last albums and Ihsahn's solo work has really ruined early Emperor moments for me.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:51 pm 

Yes. I want a reunion, whether they are doing stuff like Prometheus or black metal I don't care, I want them back even if it is just a tour.

Sadness_for_Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:52 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
I actually wsh they stopped playing before Equilbrium; the last albums and Ihsahn's solo work has really ruined early Emperor moments for me.

How? That makes no sense, and is really stupid.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 pm 

I'd love a new album and tour, but it's never going to happen. Let the name rest.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:57 pm 

Sadness_for_Life wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:

How? That makes no sense, and is really stupid.

I just find myself thinking of Emperor as the band who released some really bad albums at the end of their career, which tarnshed their earlier works- its not logical, but its simply how I feel. After ItNSE (and a bit of Anthems....), I think they should have split, as that Emperor wasn't really shown on any latter worls; and thats the band I'd rather remember.

Satyrcon are in a similarr categoy for me.

Sorry if its stupid, but I certanly don't think Emperor are a brillant band as they realsead a few brilliant albums, and then some drivel. Hence- no, I wdon't want them to reform.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:49 pm 

They should pull a Bolt Thrower and tour but not release a new album, yes I hated they're last one.

Last.fm

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:17 am 

I wish they would do at least one more tour.

but i think Prometheus was an excellent album, although it's no ItNE.

cremationconfetti
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:35 am 

Honestly, I don't think their new stuff is bad, but they really should have just stuck with their style on Nightside. That CD was perfection.

Zeroflux
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:06 am 

Emperor's final albums of their career often gets completely undeserved hate. I think that the reason being is that they changed their style from a consistent symphonic black metal to a more progressive symphonic extreme metal. People don't like changes, but that's not upon you to decide. Emperor wanted to take a different direction, and so they did. I think Prometheus is a eccentric yet fantastic masterpiece of progressive black metal. A lot of people don't agree with that, and I just personally feel that these people just don't truly understand the album. I'm not going to start an argument here, but that's my opinion. Emperor does not need to reform, and they disbanded at the perfect time. They have accomplished all they've wished for Emperor to reach, so there is not point to continuing to make music. Ihsahn now has a solo career which continues in the direction that Prometheus set, and that's enough. The music that he is composing is the music that interests him the most at the moment, and that's what he'll stick with, no matter what people say, although I think that his solo work is absolutely brilliant.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:17 am 

I will still love them whether they are dead or not! I have not heard an Emperor album that I did not enjoy immensely, and I would buy(not download, buy) any new stuff they came out with. Awesome, awesome band.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

BloodredChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:58 am 

Zeroflux wrote:
Emperor's final albums of their career often gets completely undeserved hate. I think that the reason being is that they changed their style from a consistent symphonic black metal to a more progressive symphonic extreme metal. People don't like changes, but that's not upon you to decide. Emperor wanted to take a different direction, and so they did. I think Prometheus is a eccentric yet fantastic masterpiece of progressive black metal. A lot of people don't agree with that, and I just personally feel that these people just don't truly understand the album. I'm not going to start an argument here, but that's my opinion. Emperor does not need to reform, and they disbanded at the perfect time. They have accomplished all they've wished for Emperor to reach, so there is not point to continuing to make music. Ihsahn now has a solo career which continues in the direction that Prometheus set, and that's enough. The music that he is composing is the music that interests him the most at the moment, and that's what he'll stick with, no matter what people say, although I think that his solo work is absolutely brilliant.

I don't hate the later Emperor because they got more "progressive", I just don't think the albums were executed very well. But I'm not one for progressive extreme metal anyway, so my opinion doesn't really count I guess.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:15 am 

You guys don't think Prometheus was a touch better than IX Equilibrium? I certainly did, though I agree it's no Anthems or ITNE.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:15 am 

The last Emperor I heard was Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk. I haven't heard any Emperor past that album, but I would love to hear some stuff at the Sydney State Theater, because I think that venue would be an absolutely fantastic place for Emperor to play. That atmosphere would be brilliant. I feel that they broke up at the right time, but if they were to continue, I hope they do it at the State Theater.

- Tim Minchin

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:30 am 

I really wouldn't want them making a new album because it progresses really well and culminates in a really excellent album (in my opinion, of course) but playing live every once and a while at festival or maybe even a tour would be really cool.

LunarisCZE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:15 am 

It doesn't matter, they were never going to top their early albums anyway. Same with many other bands, their best stuff is already recorded, I don't care if they disband now or not.

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:13 am 

What a way to distort the usual "What do you think about...?" / Do you like...?" thread title.

On an equally serious note; Of course the ones who have always liked the band wouldn't want them to split up, and the ones who aren't diehard fans of everything Emperor has created, especially the later works are gonna puke hard in this thread.

Please use your head while typing, not fingers only!

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:25 am 

Zeroflux wrote:

...aaaannnd here is the cliche "people who don't like the album just don't like change and/or don't REALLY understand it like I do" post. Move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.